Reset VSA light?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 01:17 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reset VSA light?

Hey all, so I'm currently having the all-too-common VSA indicator issue. Both VSA indicators (VSA and /!\) have lit up and stayed on once in a great while since I have owned the vehicle ('04 6MT bought used a year ago not from Acura). The problem seemed to go away for awhile, but now it's back. For the past month, both indicators come on EVERY time I drive the car. Never fails...always on. No matter how I start the car, drive, ebrake or not...always on!

So, I'm going to start the diagnosing. What I'm wondering is...is there a way to "reset" or "clear" these indicators once they've come on? ie: is them being on a way of being told there's a code or something being stored?

I've read that with other older Acura's, there's a way to reset the VSA warning lights NOT by just pulling the battery cable...somehow it's a different procedure.

Anyone out there know if this is possible or how to do this...maybe someone w/ a factory service manual? Thanks!
Old 07-15-2008, 01:38 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Check your brake fluid -- likely it's low. Same thing happened to me a month or two ago and it turned out my banjo bolt on my RR caliper was loose and dripping brake fluid. 5 minutes later it was tight and I had the brake fluid topped up, and the lights disappeared and haven't come back.

Low brake fluid without a leak could mean your pads are worn almost 100% and need replacing (which pushes the brake fluid in the system back upstream and into the resevoir, thus "raising" the level above the sensor, and solving your indicator lights "problem".
Old 07-16-2008, 07:44 AM
Advanced

Thanks for the reply. Checking brake fluid level is one of the things I was going to do to try and diagnose this issue. That and replacing the brake switch, since that's also a very cheap and easy possibility.

Still, though...anyone know how to reset and/or clear the VSA indicators? Thanks!
Old 07-16-2008, 08:37 AM

The thing is, the indicators are on for a reason. They will clear once the problem is solved. They're not like CEL's that store codes. The VSA indicators light up immediately when a problem arises and will go out immediately once the problem is fixed.

Definitely check your brake fluid and brake pads (if the fluid is low, I'm betting brake pads on one or more corners are getting thin and need replacing, hence the warning indicators!).

Brakes are a safety issue, and I'm pretty sure the VSA + /!\ lights are telling you that your car is experiencing a braking problem -- get 'em fixed ASAP so you don't endanger yourself, someone else, or anyones' property. I might sound lecturing but I've seen instances where people ignore warning lights like this and the next thing they know (or don't know) is they're in a heap of trouble, pain, or dirt.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:14 AM
Instructor

Does your MID say "Check VSA System"? I'm taking this from the manual, if both lights are on, your MID should say that and it indicates a problem with the braking system. Page 65 in the 2006 manual.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:10 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by curls
They will clear once the problem is solved. They're not like CEL's that store codes. The VSA indicators light up immediately when a problem arises and will go out immediately once the problem is fixed.

curls...only a tad bit lecture-like This is basically the response I was looking for in regards to if it's even possible to reset these indicators or not. Guess not. Don't worry, I always keep my cars in tip-top shape when it comes to operation, so when something like this happens and I haven't fixed it, it's simply because I'm trying to gather info, or simply haven't had time to work on it. The brakes will get a good once-over this weekend for sure

intensity...my '04 doesn't have MID. And I'm pretty sure all the manual says about these lights being on is that there's a problem w/ the VSA system (duh) and to take it in for service. I'll double check, but I believe that's the extent of what the manual says.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by neocrynym

intensity...my '04 doesn't have MID. And I'm pretty sure all the manual says about these lights being on is that there's a problem w/ the VSA system (duh) and to take it in for service. I'll double check, but I believe that's the extent of what the manual says.
Missed the fact that you had an '04
But what I was getting at is that it indicates there is a problem, I dont think it is something that can just be "cleared"
Old 07-16-2008, 07:56 PM
Advanced

Cool, thanks. Yeah that's basically what I needed to know. Was just curious if it could be cleared or if it would just go away once the problem is resolved. Guess I can start tinkering now that I know it will clear itself once it's fixed (trusting in curls' statement).

I'll keep everyone posted once I figure out what the problem really is...always helpful for people searching the same topic in the future!
Old 07-17-2008, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by neocrynym
Guess I can start tinkering now that I know it will clear itself once it's fixed (trusting in curls' statement).

I'll keep everyone posted once I figure out what the problem really is...always helpful for people searching the same topic in the future!
I think at most you'll need to turn the car off and back on again to see if your tinkering worked. No biggie.

And as for posting the solution to your problem - Thanks for giving back to Acurazine by doing so! It's things like that which help others, as you mention, and is why this forum is so informative and an extremely valuable resource!
Old 07-24-2008, 08:25 PM
Advanced

UPDATE: Problem solved.

To rehash, both my VSA indicators were illuminated every time the car was driven. Unbeknownst to me, I also had NO brake lights! I found this out because the morning I was going to take the car in to have my HVAC/Audio/Navi lights warrantied for the faulty PCB as is common in '04's, my buddy following me to the dealership saw I had no brake lights at all and immediately called to tell me. I had been driving arround for almost a month without brake lights!!!

So, I knew instantly it was the brake switch. Continued to the dealership, got the console lights fixed, and of course they asked me if I wanted to diagnose (for $82) the VSA issue. I said hell no, don't touch it.

Went back to work, ordered a new brake switch, installed it today, and voila! No more VSA indicators. We'll see how long this holds out

So to make a long story short: 1.) The VSA indicators have nothing to do w/ stored codes. 2.) A faulty $5.50 brake light switch was the cause of my problem the whole time, and could be the cause of yours!
Old 10-30-2011, 06:30 PM
1st Gear

well i have a 04 tsx and all 3 lights was on /!\ abs vsa i found out that the abs speed sensor was the problem on the front right wheel so i orded and changed it the and the abs light and the vsa light went off but the /!\ light was still on wtf so now i go to test drive and then the vsa light comes back on smh does any 1 have any more help plzzzzz let me know i got to go through inspection the first day of nov
Old 11-28-2011, 08:00 PM
1st Gear

I hope that could be the solution to mine, cos I have exact problem, only that my brake lights are ok but brake lamp indicator light stays on once I press the brake pedal until I off the car, this started abt two weeks b4 the vsa and /!\ lights issue, thanks
Old 11-29-2011, 02:04 PM
5th Gear

Put oil in it

My 2006 TSX, VSA light comes on every time I'm almost due for an oil change and I go around a sharp curve. I'm the only owner of vehicle and I take care of it, but w/ 108,000 miles, it's starting to require extra care. It still drives fine and as soon as I add oil, light goes off on it's own.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:18 PM
5th Gear

ABS and VSA lights continually on

My ABS and VSA lights have been on continuously for 3 weeks now. The lights came on, thought maybe my brake fluid was low. Added break fluid, lights still on. 2 days later had a flat tire. Drove w/ the spare until I got home. Had new tires put on and aligned and lights still on. Anyone know how to get the lights off or if I have a bigger problem?
Old 12-10-2011, 11:25 AM
1st Gear

Question 2004 acura tsx , vsa indicator light

after replacing right front abs sensor , vsa indicator lights are not clearing , can anyone offer a reason why this is happening.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:36 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How do you reset this light
Old 07-27-2013, 05:51 PM
2011 SHAWD

i also have an 04 acura tl. last night i banged 3rd off the limiter and the VSA and the /!\ light came on along with the check engine light. when i pulled off the highway i turned my car off and turned it back on and both lights went out except the check engine light. when to the shop today and used my friends scanner to check the codes, the abs ( which is what VSA is linked to in this car ) had history codes fir all four wheel speed sensors. at the time the light was off. i reset the light and the /!\ came on as soon as i started and the VSA comes on after driving a bit. WTF is going on. any one having this problem or had it?? and i used the more expensive scanner ( snap on ) to reset it but it just wont go off. any ideas?

p.s im gonna get it checked by my regular mechanic next week but the light is a piss off
Old 08-09-2016, 04:49 AM
Intermediate

VSA/ (!) / Brake Light on

I know it's an old forum but I was wondering if i could get some suggestions. I have a 08 TL Type-S Manual and had my VSA light exclamation light and brake light come on recently. The lights stay on, I've did the basics which is check brake fluid and it was full. I checked pads to see if they needed to be replace, all seem good. The car doesn't drive different or strange just the lights continue to stay on. I tried reading it with the ODB II scan tool no luck, tried taking the battery cable off didn't work, and looked at the fuses for VSA light and seems to be good. I have been reading a lot of the forums and I see it's a common problem in these. I saw it said it could be the VSA modulator, which is 1k plus just for the part. Crazy. But I was wondering what else can it be for that to be on if the car drives fine and regular? I was planning on changing rotors and pads myself just for the upgrade but this happened. Just wanted to get some more of knowledge before I take it to Acura and pay 125 just for a diagnostic which I read they don't tell you much. Please any suggestions are much needed. Thank you.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:48 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
You need the code to have a clue to your problem. Check w/ Autozone, et al to see if their scanners will interrogate all codes. Some newer scanners will do this.

You can also buy a wireless DLC interface and any one of several apps on Amazon which will also provide the code. Cost is about $100 last time I checked.

good luck
Old 08-09-2016, 05:08 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
You need the code to have a clue to your problem. Check w/ Autozone, et al to see if their scanners will interrogate all codes. Some newer scanners will do this.

You can also buy a wireless DLC interface and any one of several apps on Amazon which will also provide the code. Cost is about $100 last time I checked.

good luck
Thank you, my boy works at Honda scanned it for me

VSA 65-1 is what he got
Old 08-10-2016, 03:39 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
The closest manual I have (TSX 04-07) shows VSA DTC 65 as "brake fluid level".

good luck
Old 12-23-2017, 05:08 PM
1st Gear

I Reset the code/light using a foxwell NT630 scanner. $109 on eBay.

My wife drives a 2012 Acura TL. Came home from work and told me “VSA light and (!) light were on

So I started checking everything. Yup, brake fluid was very low. Refilled it and told my wife to drive it and light should turn off. 4 days later no change.

Then replaced brakes all the way around with inspection. Rear 40% Front 50%.
She drove it 4 more days light stayed on.
Nearest Acura dealer was over an hour away. Not a good option for me.
then I decided to order the NT630 pro OBD2 and check traction control system and abs.
Recieved scanner showed 2 errors found. I didn’t delve into the code at this point. Just a quick reset.
Lights all turned off. Removed scanner and key. Restarted car and no lights. No pending codes either.
My wife has been driving 2 weeks and no lights.
Just Weird. If I was low brake fluid, why didn’t ABS light or “Brake” light ever come on?
anyhow light has remained off. Happy for now.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:54 AM
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a quick note of my experience with 2012 Honda Accord Euro CU2 (aka Acura TSX) warning light for VSA (or TSA, as it was displayed in my Australian model).
No OBD codes but on inspection my brake lights were not working. It turned out to be a burnt out 15A fuse No. 12 in the under-bonnet (engine compartment) fuse box. Nothing more serious and the problem was fixed.