Fuse blown out

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 09:33 PM
tsx's4playinwith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuse blown out

Today i got my 6 LED bulbs for the doors from tectoys. As i was installing the second one into the door, the fuse blew out. I tried replacing it, but soon as i opened the passengers door, it blew out once again. It seems as if the fuse can handle just one LED light since the drivers side door light stayed on when the door was open, but as soon as i opened the passengers side, it blew out. Now i have to replace 3 fuses ..and wondering what i should do about the LED lights. What should i do so the fuse doesnt blow out with these lights? Also when i replaced the fuse, the stereo displayed "CODE". I tried some numbers, but it read "ERROR 1". Im not sure what the code is. Is there a standard code to open the system up? ..thanks
Old 06-02-2006, 05:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
FYI, LEDs take a lot less power than normal bulbs, so it sounds like the first LED you put in must be shorting the circuit.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:03 PM
tsx's4playinwith

what should i do to fix my problem?
Old 06-02-2006, 11:11 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't say for sure - what wires are you tapping, what are you tapping with, at what location? Some pictures could be helpful. Were I to take a guess, somewhere you have a hot wire touching the chassis.

The code to access the radio should be in your owners manual or maybe the dealer gave it to you on a card/slip of paper. Any time you kill complete power to the radio - disconnect battery, blow the radio circuit fuse, you'll need that code.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:22 PM
Intermediate

Hey lilballa,

I had the same problem too. Once I blew a fuse, I continued to replace all my stock bulbs with the LEDs. Then once I replaced all the bulbs, I put in a new fuse (make sure all the lights are off by closing all the doors, and then put in the new fuse). That should work. As for the stereo code, you should've have been given a code from the dealership. It's an anti-theft thingy...
Old 06-05-2006, 08:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
For your radio "code", open your glove box. On the left side (outside) the box there should be a sticker with the code. You should also have been given a Acura wallet card with the code. As far as your LED's. LED's are diodes. Take the passenger side bulb out and turn it over and install again. The bulb must go "one way" to work. This may be why the fuse is blowing.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:57 PM
tsx's4playinwith

I took it to the dealer to check the problem and they said the LEDS were the reson why. They charged me an incredible $140.00 to "diganose the car" and check for any other shortages, for bulbs arnt covered undered warrenty. Im trying to fight for a refund at this time. Im not really sure what to do with the bulbs Brian from tec-toys told be they were polarized and this shouldnt happen? Im not really sure if i should try again..since ive already tried 4 times bloing 4 fuses.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:03 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by lilballa
I took it to the dealer to check the problem and they said the LEDS were the reson why. They charged me an incredible $140.00 to "diganose the car" and check for any other shortages, for bulbs arnt covered undered warrenty. Im trying to fight for a refund at this time. Im not really sure what to do with the bulbs Brian from tec-toys told be they were polarized and this shouldnt happen? Im not really sure if i should try again..since ive already tried 4 times bloing 4 fuses.
Why should they give you a refund? You modified the car, and you're expecting Acura to fix your problems for free?

It sounds like one of your bulbs shorted something out, which isn't surprising. Put the proper bulbs back in, replace the fuse, enter your radio code, and chalk it up to a lesson learned.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:13 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by lilballa
$140 is a lot, but its a dealership, were you expecting hand me outs for aftermarket modifications?
Old 06-07-2006, 10:50 AM
tsx's4playinwith

I modified it with bulbs yes. But i talked to the supplier and he said hes done hundreds of cars w/o this problem. He said the dealer is falsy trying to make a profit, which i believe is true, since when i asked for a refund..they offered me 50%. If it was a true shortage and the reason was only the bulbs, they would have kept all of it because they did a good job. I did learn my lesson, but $140.00 is to much. I got the radiocode. Thanks for that
Old 01-11-2007, 03:52 PM
1st Gear

dont mean to bring up an old thread, but which 3 fuses had to be replaced? i know the interior lights one is one of them, how about the other 2? i stupidly used a screwdriver to pull out the led and shorted the circuit and blew some fuses. cant figure out which 3 fuses to replace though. any help would be great. thanks.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:48 PM
Instructor

He ment that he had to replace THE fuse 3 times.

Also, the reason why his fuses flew, is because LEDs have lower resistance than standard bulbs (his had VERY low resistance). Low resistance of circuit => high current => blown fuse.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:37 AM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by matvey
He ment that he had to replace THE fuse 3 times.

Also, the reason why his fuses flew, is because LEDs have lower resistance than standard bulbs (his had VERY low resistance). Low resistance of circuit => high current => blown fuse.
LED bulbs have lower current draw than conventional bulbs.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronng
LED bulbs have lower current draw than conventional bulbs.
x2

Besides, I'm betting that the internals on the LED or the wiring connecting points are crossed. LEDs simply (if correctly wired internally) don't have the ability to draw enough current to blow a fuse. Shyt happens when humans put these together.