Really dumb Short Shifter question

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 02:03 AM
Master Graphic Artist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really dumb Short Shifter question

Someone please educate me. So I know a short shifter reduces the throw of the shift. My question is though does the height of the shiftknob lower? If so then how much lower is the shiftknob compared to stock?
Old 11-21-2004, 02:07 AM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's not the knob.......hehe...knob location but where it's connected. The pivot points are moved. If someone has a picture of two together it'll explain it much better.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:07 AM
Master in Science

A shorter shift can cause transmission problems. Recommend you stay away from them.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:14 AM
Master Graphic Artist

Originally Posted by slo007
A shorter shift can cause transmission problems. Recommend you stay away from them.
How can that happen? I think a lot of members here have shortshifters, are they aware of this?
Old 11-21-2004, 05:18 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PixelHarmony
How can that happen? I think a lot of members here have shortshifters, are they aware of this?
And many of them seem to have problems as well.
Old 11-21-2004, 05:46 AM
Pro

Ive had mine for about 6000 miles. Do you mean in the long run??
Old 11-21-2004, 05:49 AM
Pro

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12374

bad pics but you can get the genral Idea.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:01 AM
Hondaholic

Originally Posted by PixelHarmony
Shifting too quickly can cause transmission problems. So obviously a short shifter can facilitate this.

Your transmission has synchros; a synchro's job is to allow the collar on the gear selector shaft and the gear to make contact before the dog teeth make contact. This lets the collar and the gear match their speeds before the dog teeth need to engage. If the collar and the gear are not at roughly the same speed, you will hear a grinding sound as the dog teeth slip a few times before engagement.

Now, this process takes a certain amount of time. If you blast a shift off very quickly, you run this risk that this process won't be completed in time. The shift to second gear typically requires the most spool up, so that's why grinding second is the most common. Also, when the tranny is cold, there's mere drag in the gears; it takes them longer to spool up.

Installing a short shift kit makes it easier to shift quickly, and all it would take is one bad shift to chip a dog tooth on the collar or a gear. But if you keep your shifts within the limits of the transmission, you'd be okay.

I don't beleive that a short shift kit in and of itself would cause any damage though, but I do think that a dealer/manufacturer would try to use its prescence to deny any tranny problems you might have.

I installed a new shift knob a few months ago, and while doing so, I pulled off the nut and spacer at the bottom of the knob. The result is a shift lever that sits lower than stock, and reduces the throw somewhat. Switching to an all metal knob has firmed up the shifts as well (although it gets really cold this time of year). I think the bushings are a great idea too.

Old 11-21-2004, 10:21 AM
Stokeless

I have had a short shifter in every Honda I have ever owned. And have never had a problem.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Me either. I actually think they help. Honda puts in shifters with a little more throw than some others to prevent what was mentioned before (synchro timing). Forcing time in shifting helps, in some small way, in ensuring time for the synchros to do their job.

BTW, I use the comptech short shift adapter with the bushings my friend made.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:50 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by slo007
sorry, you're just flat out wrong. please name the members who have had problems, because I've never heard of one on here. if someone messes up their transmission its because they suck at shifting that is all.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never had a problem.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:50 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by kurt_bradley
I've never had a problem.
Me neither.

Does anybody notice when letting off the clutch once you shift from 1-2 that the car hesitates almost like its afraid your gonna chirp in second. It doesnt happen as much when VSA is off but but it still happens.

The shifter unit is not the what changes. Just the pivot point so if you want the shifter to be shorter you have to modify the "stick" for lack of a better word.
Old 11-28-2004, 12:50 PM
Master in Science

Originally Posted by xizor
sorry, you're just flat out wrong. please name the members who have had problems, because I've never heard of one on here. if someone messes up their transmission its because they suck at shifting that is all.
I don't know any members in here, but know of VW and Toyota owners who had problems. I disagree that people are the only at fault. Transmissions are not flawless, and some do break down. I personally only had a problem with one where a wire on the road got stuck under the car and kept me from shifting over 3rd gear (car was a VW Voiage). The wire was removed the next day and the transmission was fine.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:24 PM
Subie Tech

Originally Posted by kurt_bradley
Me either. I actually think they help. Honda puts in shifters with a little more throw than some others to prevent what was mentioned before (synchro timing). Forcing time in shifting helps, in some small way, in ensuring time for the synchros to do their job.

BTW, I use the comptech short shift adapter with the bushings my friend made.

Originally Posted by Stokeless_TSX
I have had a short shifter in every Honda I have ever owned. And have never had a problem.

Originally Posted by xizor