Oil Overfill

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 09:56 AM
built for speed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil Overfill

Hi,

Just wondering what problems might result from too much oil in the engine. I just had mine changed and they put in 5 quarts instead of the recommended 4.4 The level is about half a cm above the upper mark on the dipstick. I'm thinking this amount isn't enough to cause big problems. Any comments from folks with automotive repair training. No wild guesses need reply. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:01 AM
Race Director

Received 625 Likes on 504 Posts
The issue has been discussed in previous threads. That amount over won't cause big problems, but I would drain the excess and would rethink frequenting a shop that doesn't know how to do an oil change properly.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:02 AM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just a wild guess....drain some out..and do what biker said ^^^
Old 10-27-2004, 01:33 PM
Instructor

Did you go to Acura of Boston? They did that to me too. I know some other people who have had issues at Acura of Boston also. I'm never going back there again. Their idiot technician thought my TSX was an RSX or something too.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbuzzy
Hi,

Just wondering what problems might result from too much oil in the engine. I just had mine changed and they put in 5 quarts instead of the recommended 4.4 The level is about half a cm above the upper mark on the dipstick. I'm thinking this amount isn't enough to cause big problems. Any comments from folks with automotive repair training. No wild guesses need reply. Thanks.
My TSX took 5.25 qts to the upper full mark. I don't think you have any problems with 5 qts.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hobbestec
Did you go to Acura of Boston? They did that to me too. I know some other people who have had issues at Acura of Boston also. I'm never going back there again. Their idiot technician thought my TSX was an RSX or something too.
That's interesting. I've always thought they were ok. They've always been good with loaners and stuff. I think they do try to get you once in a while though.

Once the CEL was on, they tried to charge me an hours worth of labor simply to pull the code. (Said the port was behind something they had to take apart, etc, etc.) That still ticks me off to this day, but I'd still go back there.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:48 PM
Advanced

I always specify 4 quarts for an oil change and put in any more at home.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bigwilliestyle
That's interesting. I've always thought they were ok. They've always been good with loaners and stuff. I think they do try to get you once in a while though.

Once the CEL was on, they tried to charge me an hours worth of labor simply to pull the code. (Said the port was behind something they had to take apart, etc, etc.) That still ticks me off to this day, but I'd still go back there.
The diagnostic port is on the driver side, easily accessible under the dash. The code can be pulled and cleared in seconds. Don't let the dealer pull a fast one on you.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:18 PM
04 remembrance

Originally Posted by JTso
The diagnostic port is on the driver side, easily accessible under the dash. The code can be pulled and cleared in seconds. Don't let the dealer pull a fast one on you.
Good to know.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:05 PM
Im a BAMF...Bad Ass MoFo

I always put 5 quarts in. Its better for that VTAK yo.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JTso
Nah, I know. That's the point. Pretty pissed they tried to do that. It's one thing to say they're gonna charge you. It's another to actually lie and say they have to take part apart to get it.

Don't get me wrong. I like them in general, but it helps to have a little knowledge about what mechanics do to what.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:19 PM
AutoX'er

The tell tale sign of an overfilled engine (other than the dipstick ofcourse) is plooms of smoke pouring out of the tail pipe when accelerating hard.

This happened to by brother at an AutoX this season. It first appeared that he can completely blown his head gasket in a matter of seconds (so much white smoke you couldn't see half the lot). We checked his oil level and the dealer had put in an extra litre of oil! We drained it and everything seemed OK. Later we swapped his plugs, so far his O2 sensor is OK.

A couple mm's over the full line isn't going to hurt you.

-Pete

FYI, this was something I didn't belive untill I saw it with my own eyes. Although oil typically produces a blue-grey smoke when burned... clean synthetic oil burns absolutely white like steam.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:13 AM
Burning Brakes

To answer the question as to what can happen if the oil level is too high:

If the oil level is too high it can allow the crank to touch the oil resevoir when running, it will then whip the oil (mixing air with it) turning it into frape'. From there the oil pump can't get enough volume through the engine and oil starvation results. The question is how much of this is enough to cause problems in a particular engine. The general rule is NEVER over fill, in your case drain the crankcase down to the proper amount.

Vandy
Old 10-28-2004, 10:31 AM
built for speed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for your replies. I might drain it to the proper level but I'm not too worried based on the replies so far. In the future, I'll specify 4-4.5 qt and top it off as needed. For Hobbestec, no I didn't go to Acura of Boston, but rather a local service place. I hate going to the dealer for any service. They "create" all sorts of unneccesary work. Their oil change schedules never match the manufacturers. Who do you believe? I'll bet on the Honda engineers, not the service manager.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't know, but the suggested maintenance schedule in the matches perfectly the one my dealer posts and works by...

Besides, seems like your independent service dealer isn't doing a much better job either... Knowing what volumes of oil that goes into cars is among the most basic things to know when you're into that kind of job.