My dad's garage...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 11:01 AM
Über Geek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: My dad's garage...

Originally posted by fdl
Wow. Love the pagani zonda in the first pic

Hey. Just noticed the NSX concept looks VERY similar…

Hmmm. It's not like Honda to borrow so heavily from other designs.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by phile
Can you explain that to me? I was watching one of those Hong Kong mini-series (dubbed, of course, since I'm not Chinese) and a clock was given as a gift. The person was clearly upset, but I didn't know why. I thought she just didn't like the gift.
giving a watch/clock as a gift is considered wishing death or bad luck on someone...i dont know the context behind this but that's what my mom has always told me...honestyl, i believe it's just some myth/superstition as other cultures give watches/clocks as gifts all the time and you dont see them all dying!
Old 04-21-2004, 11:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by domn
One of those Fung Shway things I think. I have a neigbour/friend who is not Chinese that pays a Chinese lady $150 per hour to come over and make the house Fung Shway acceptable.

What a f'ing moron and waste of money IMO, unless your Chinese and its part of your culture.
giving of a watch as a gift is not a Feng Shui thing...Feng Shui is about flow of energy/karma in buildings. mostly business, residences, offices, stores, etc. if you think thats stupid, a group of ppl i know fly a buddhist monk from china once a year to come and look at their residence and business to determine how to position things.

And it's not just Chinese ppl, large non-chinese corporations have also started consulting with Feng Shui gurus when architecting and constructing a new office building.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:51 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
No offense to anyone but I do think its stupid, but thats just me. My family has alot of cultures as well that I think are stupid so don't think I'm singling out the Chinese for this.

I do think that if you believe in something like Feng Shui then yes, its great to practice the customs or whatever. I don't beleive in mystical things that bring luck, so its all a waste of time and money from my perspective.

My 0.2

These neigbours that I spoke of have a way of bringing up Feng Shui whenever something good happens to them like winning $200 on slots a few weeks ago. But its funny how its never mentioned when something bad happens or their luck turns. The mind can be a very powerful thing I guess.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:57 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
From what I've seen, Feng Shui is mostly just common sense. Like putting plants in offices and arranging furnature so you have more open space. These people seem more like decorators than anything. But whatever floats your boat...
Old 04-21-2004, 12:21 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by dabuda2004
giving a watch/clock as a gift is considered wishing death or bad luck on someone...i dont know the context behind this but that's what my mom has always told me...honestyl, i believe it's just some myth/superstition as other cultures give watches/clocks as gifts all the time and you dont see them all dying!
Right. Well, obviously watches and clocks are given as gifts more and more in 'contemporary' China, however, it seems that the more rare the occasion (wedding, first baby, etc), getting a clock as a gift is <insert spooky sound here>, signifying you see their death approaching.

320 (or march 20th) is 'Woman's Day' in China. Somehow, that date made into a whole number now signifies that you are a b**tch.

250 has been around as long as I can remember.. not sure where it came from.

Also not sure where the Turtle came from, seen it on a few old soap opera's as a sarcastic joke line.. "long as you don't give me a turtle". I asked her about it once, just told it was bad luck, no other explanation. (by the way, my mother watches them, not me. )
Old 04-21-2004, 12:30 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally posted by dabuda2004
You got the death thing correct, but it only applies to clocks, not watches. Watches are fine as gifts. It is the Chinese pronounciation of the event when you attend the funeral of someone being the same as the Chinese pronounciation of giving a clock as a gift. Stupid? Yes, but many Chinese know this and they would still avoid clocks as gifts.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:30 PM
Registered AssHat

Originally posted by blueingrid
(by the way, my mother watches them, not me. )
Sure....