AV6 "swap" in progress, trying to get the old trans out..

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 02:11 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post AV6 "swap" in progress, trying to get the old trans out..

Hello all, I'm new to the forums but am trying to use the thread about the AV6 swap to complete just that.
In January of this year, the transmission in my dad's '03 TL finally went out after a while of it shuddering sometimes and having symptoms of it getting worse for a long time. It would do the usual things: slipping, popping out of gear, shuddering sometimes, and then finally it went out all the way and wouldn't go back into gear. Long story short, he told me if I got the money to buy a new trans for it, he'd help me fix the car and then give it to me. We've recently made a lot of progress getting the old trans out in the hopes of swapping an AV6 from an 06-07 Accord 3.0. We have all the trans bolts out, a large gap in between the trans and engine and jacks holding the trans up, but the thing just won't separate. We can see through the gap and the only thing going into the transmission is the passenger side axle shaft. It's exposed, but we can't see the gears yet. We took apart the passenger wheel assembly so that we can hopefully slide the axle shaft out of the transmission but there seems to be a bracket holding it in place and we can't get any tools in there to take the bracket off. Does anyone know any tricks or tips to get the axle shaft out of the transmission? This would be a huge milestone for us to get it out. Thank you all.
(P.S Sorry for writing a book, just trying to explain the issue clearly)
Old 09-07-2015, 05:19 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You definitely need to get those 3 bolts out. I had a very tough time getting them out too but managed at the end after a few hours of experimenting with the right tools. I think at the end, I used two closed/open ended wrenches (second one for leverage and probably a pipe attached to the second one too for even more leverage) or I shoved a breaker bar in there and just got 1/4 or less turn in it and went with a ratchet afterwards. Careful getting those bolts off. The O2 sensor might be in the way, depending how you work on it. I bent my O2 sensor and broke it.

I just got my AV6 back in but I'm having problems. It won't shift from D5 to N. Arrggh!
Old 09-08-2015, 09:20 PM
3rd Gear

I posted this yesterday and a few hours later we finally got the transmission out. We had to remove the Y-pipe (wasn't super hard) and then that gave us the room we needed to get the bracket holding the half shaft in out. then, we got the shaft out and lowered the trans with two jacks onto a rolling dolley, then transferred it to a pallet on a pallet jack. Not before jacking the car up a few more inches to let the transmission wedge barely through the wheel well. Anyway, it's out, and it's AV6 time. Just gotta find a good low mileage one. Also, I read that some people transferred their old range selector from the TL transmission to the AV6, any idea why? It didn't mention that in the initial "swap" FAQ. Thanks!
Old 09-09-2015, 05:57 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You talking about the transmission range switch? The connectors are different. But you can use the av6 range switch. Keep it for spare parts. All you have to do is cut off connector from tl and wire it to the av6.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Justin how is your swap going, I own a 01 cl base with bad trans
Old 10-22-2015, 06:50 PM
Intermediate

Im currently swapping trans for a 01 type-s auto. eventually going 6 spd.
But my main question to this forum is I have see some other threads where people are talking bout swap cam pulleys and crank sensor and other BS. I truly believe that with the right harness and Ecu you should be good.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:15 PM
1st Gear

It is done, and everything is working after we had a small problem with a corroded battery cable causing the car to idle up and down, and generally run funny. We also set a code because the O2 sensor wasn't plugged back in good.
Old 12-25-2015, 10:22 PM
Intermediate

01 Cl transmission replacement

I recently replaced my 01 Cl transmission with a 00 TL transmission. Just finished it over the weekend and seem to be operating pretty good so far. I have yet to drive the car on the highway, waiting to register the car. But the removal and install was pretty simple.

You have to remove the front part of the sub-frame ( the steering rack frame is separate). However the only modd I had to do was on the TL transmission, There's a steering speed pump on the back side of the transmission which is no used on the CL. So I just looped the pump and all was good.

The second small problem I encounted was the drain plug being stripped out. The solution for this is Sears sells a special pair of pliers for stripped bolts and such. I will apply PB blaster and a little heat then remove it. but for now I was able fill the tranny with some honda ATF Fluid for now, and reflush after a couple of miles. Doing this to get fluid working thur the tranny.

I kind of made a mistake and found out late that the 07 Accord transmission worked best for this situation with some swapping of solenoids. But no biggie, I will acquire on soon since Im keep this car.

I must say just reading what other members posted about this procedure made it seem like it was some rocket science project. Treat this like you your changing a clutch on a 5spd and you'll be very successful with the project.
Old 12-25-2015, 10:33 PM
Intermediate

Why did you have to remove the Y pipe? Let me guess you did not have the right tools! I just did mine, and did not have to touch my exhaust at ALL! But whatever worked you Boss. If you were trying get the half shaft bolts, all you need was a ratchet wrench a pipe to break the bolts loose.