"Easter Eggs"?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 12:20 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrismanTSX
I think I'm going to have to try that on my 2006, if only to hear this in Japanese!
I tried it on my 06 TSX, it comes back with American Hand Free Link (ironically with sort of a British (?) accent), followed by the Japanese. It passed the diagnostics, but without knowing what that does, it's a little meaningless. For all I know, holding down the button just PLAYS the message, without it even performing any diagnostics.

Jeff
Old 05-25-2007, 02:13 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
I don't know if this is documented or has been posted before, but I don't remember reading about this. I just reactivated XM radio, so I was trying to toggle what is displayed in the display above the radio (if anyone's doesn't know, you hold down the "Audio" key for 3 seconds and the display will toggle (name, title of song, etc)).

Anyway, what I discovered by accident is that if you hold the XM button down for 10 seconds, you'll hear a beep and the display above the radio turns off. Pretty good for drive-in theaters...
What "audio" key? Help me out here. Is that just for Navi systems?
Old 05-25-2007, 08:48 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TeeSecks
What "audio" key? Help me out here. Is that just for Navi systems?
I have a navi system...the audio key is the one that switches the screen to the radio screen. If you have non-navi, maybe there's another button that will let you toggle it?
Old 05-25-2007, 09:41 PM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
I don't know if this is documented or has been posted before, but I don't remember reading about this. I just reactivated XM radio, so I was trying to toggle what is displayed in the display above the radio (if anyone's doesn't know, you hold down the "Audio" key for 3 seconds and the display will toggle (name, title of song, etc)).

Anyway, what I discovered by accident is that if you hold the XM button down for 10 seconds, you'll hear a beep and the display above the radio turns off. Pretty good for drive-in theaters...
Just a word of warning. On the '04 TSX's people that pressed the "audio" button to turn off the navi display later had problems with the entire center stack lighting becoming blown out that involved replacing the entire Navi head unit. Most of us are probably nearing the end of our "warrantee" period by now.

I don't think it's an official way to turn off the screen. The official way remains to go into settings page 2 and press OFF.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:07 PM
Intermediate

haha this topic is awesome
Old 05-29-2007, 02:42 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Stevestr
Just a word of warning. On the '04 TSX's people that pressed the "audio" button to turn off the navi display later had problems with the entire center stack lighting becoming blown out that involved replacing the entire Navi head unit. Most of us are probably nearing the end of our "warrantee" period by now.

I don't think it's an official way to turn off the screen. The official way remains to go into settings page 2 and press OFF.
I think that problem with the center console lights is probably an unrelated issue. There is a thread on it where Honda has admitted to the problem and extended the warranty, on that issue only, to 100,000 miles.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:58 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by whynot
I thought that too but then I couldn't come up with a logical explanation for why anyone would want that.
Keep in mind these diagnostics are used for hvac system. If the computer knew the airflow across the condenser along with the ambient temperature it could be more efficent with the a/c system.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:06 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Talking As a new owner who RTFMs obsessively...

Resurrect....

Originally Posted by bryhogan
Ok, probably old news to the vets out there, but for us rookies...

You'll find two credit card holders underneath the top layer of the armrest. You'll also find what I believe is a pen holder/clip.

You'll find another pen holder/clip (or maybe a tire gauge?) under the botom layer of the armrest.

I checked the owners manual to see if they had a specific description of what each clip is used for, but it is not mentioned....
Thank you, thank you, after reading the manual for my '06 through, I couldn't find any mention of these, and figured they were contingent fixtures for an option. But what, I thought. I've been really puzzled and stumped to the point of distraction. You're quite possibly right that the card slots are for card-keys or something. Or a registration wallet. Or money clip. The possibilities are numerous....

The loops on the bottom of the tray are most likely cord guides for a charger or AUX stereo cable, as they lead to the hole(s).

Speaking of the radio...

Originally Posted by Count Blah
So just keep in mind that if you remove that code from the glovebox then take your TSX in to be worked on, that you'll have to provide that code to the mechanics or else reset the radio yourself.
I'll have to look, but my code was provided on a card, which I keep at home. I asked an Acura service manager about the "key number tag" that new owners get for the ignition keys, and he told me without hesitation that they can look up the key and radio codes for any vehicle with the VIN. They don't need your card. In fact, a coworker needed his radio code while driving to work, called his dealership, they recognized him, looked it up, and gave it to him over the phone. He was listening to tunes before he got to the office. THAT'S service!

... Now ... I'm reading through here and chuckling like everyone who's RTFMed. Many of these "amazing" secret features are amenties that are described clearly. But finding them yourself doesn't diminish your delight, I know, so stop grumbling. You paid for these little "touches," so enjoy 'em.

But here's one I couldnt' find.... When I fling the driver's door open, past the first detent to the second, full-open detent, it can sometimes bounce there. No surprise there. I noticed it may bounce back to the first detent. So I started getting out of the car, timing it so that the door missed me as it slowly swung closed again. If it gets enough force from the spring(s), it will clear that first detent and then ... very quietly, gently close. No kidding. The springs are not so strong as to slam the door, so it's a matter of balance and timing. But time and again, I've managed to bounce the door open, hop out, and stand there and watch the door slowly swing close, pass that first detent, and securely close itself shut. I laughed out loud like a kid the first time I did this. Magic ... or incredibly savvy, painstaking engineering.

Closing windows:
BTW guys, anyone asking why windows or sunroofs won't close with a fob need their hands smacked. These are truly hazardous issues for children who are playing with the switches or the fob. The TSX switches, like increasing numbers of cars, have window switches that don't roll up with the switched pushed on -- only pulled. I'm surprised the driver's window has an auto-up feature at all; for this reason, I won't leave my daughter alone in the car. Little ones can be, and have been, hurt by power windows.

I'll bet the reason the only "close all windows" method is twisting and holding the key in the driver's lock (like a deadman switch) is that young 'uns can't manage that. Think childproof medicine bottles. A lot of childproof safety devices are made so that a child younger than say six years old simply can't do it, not enough muscle.

... This hasn't been mentioned in a while, but there's a little lip/handle on the right-inside of the trunk lid, which must be a handhold to pull the trunk closed while you pull your hand away. So you don't get finger prints on the trunk; it also discourages slamming the trunk lid down. I use it every time.

... For recent model years that have the AUX input in the console ... the AUX option isn't available unless you have a cable in there. But ... didja notice that when you first plug in a cord, the radio (on my non-navi veh. at least) switches to AUX automagically?

... The rubber liners in the console, upper forward cubby, and interior door pulls ... come out for cleaning. You detailers have already found this, naturally.

... If you read how to set up the HandsFreeLink for your phone, programmed in your 50 favorite numbers, and stopped reading, you missed something. If you're in a conversation when you start the car, you can click the HFL talk button, say "Transfer," and the HFL will engage with the phone. If your phone is like my Nokia, you can also do this by pressing a "Bluetooth" select key to tell the phone to switch from the handset to HFL.

One more ... not an Easter egg, it's in the manual ... the window switches will operate up to 30 minutes after the ignition is turned completely off. I think so long as you haven't opened a door, or locked up. Now that's a luxury amenity.Why, I wondered? Well, if you sit there for a while while waiting for the kids to get out of school, 10 minutes go by before you realize you need to open the windows, you can. Then, if realize you have to go on in and get 'em out of detention,... you can step out, lock the driver's door, then use the "second lock" technique to close all the windows you opened. Some usability engineer stayed up late drinking green tea thinking that one through.

All these ... make me confident that I bought the right car. How about you?
Old 08-13-2007, 07:23 PM
I can't find my garage

^^
u write too much.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by mltk53
^^
u write too much.
you mean type...
Old 08-13-2007, 08:19 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, how rediculous is it that after 11 pages, the only thing I've learned (other than that diagnostics thing) is where the outside trunk release is! I looked all over for that thing one day and had figured that maybe it was all about the fob these days...
Old 08-13-2007, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by mltk53
^^
u write too much.
Awwww ... did I make ur brain hurt??
Old 08-14-2007, 12:04 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevestr

it's not the navi display...it's the climate control/radio/clock display thingie
Old 08-14-2007, 08:38 AM
2006 CGP/Ebony w/ spoiler

Originally Posted by davidspalding
... If you read how to set up the HandsFreeLink for your phone, programmed in your 50 favorite numbers, and stopped reading, you missed something. If you're in a conversation when you start the car, you can click the HFL talk button, say "Transfer," and the HFL will engage with the phone. If your phone is like my Nokia, you can also do this by pressing a "Bluetooth" select key to tell the phone to switch from the handset to HFL.
That's a good one, I did not know about that. Does it work the opposite way, too? Can you say "Transfer" to disconnect the HFL from the phone? I'm always calling people from my actual phone while in the car because

a) I don't have anyone's number programmed into the HFL because I don't want to sit there for 2 hours and do it.
b) I might still want to talk to them when I stop driving.

If this works both ways, it will get rid of both of these problems.

I gotta admit, I knew most of the stuff in this thread already (I RTFM), except the windows up by turning the key. Didn't have a bluetooth phone when I bought the car, so I skipped the HFL section, though.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:51 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Then, if realize you have to go on in and get 'em out of detention,... you can step out, lock the driver's door, then use the "second lock" technique to close all the windows you opened. Some usability engineer stayed up late drinking green tea thinking that one through.
What is the "second lock" technique? Are you saying you can roll the windows back up after you exit the car using your FOB? I didn't think this was possible.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:53 AM
Drifting

Closing windows:
BTW guys, anyone asking why windows or sunroofs won't close with a fob need their hands smacked. These are truly hazardous issues for children who are playing with the switches or the fob. The TSX switches, like increasing numbers of cars, have window switches that don't roll up with the switched pushed on -- only pulled. I'm surprised the driver's window has an auto-up feature at all; for this reason, I won't leave my daughter alone in the car. Little ones can be, and have been, hurt by power windows.

Windows with auto-up features (like the drivers side window on our TSX) must have anti-pinch sensors - so that if something gets stuck in between the window and the door on it's way up it will notice it and retract back down.

That's why they don't have it on all the windows - it's more complicated and expensive than just creating a circuit that allows power to flow for 3 seconds instead of just immediate...
Old 08-14-2007, 09:54 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jlukja
What is the "second lock" technique? Are you saying you can roll the windows back up after you exit the car using your FOB? I didn't think this was possible.

I think he means "second lock" with the key...

It is impossible to do with the fob...
Old 08-14-2007, 10:47 AM
Pro

isn't it possible if you get the "module" for your FOB?
Old 08-14-2007, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by kak1154
That's a good one, I did not know about that. Does it work the opposite way, too? Can you say "Transfer" to disconnect the HFL from the phone?
Wow,... good question. I actually did this last weekend, but clicking the "Handset" button on my Nokia, and the HFL said "HANDSFREE LINK DISCONNECTED" in a nice, booming voice ... which I'm sure my daughter loved hearing. :P Because I have to a) touch the HFL talk button, b) say "Transfer", and c) hope HFL recognized it, I think it's easier to transfer from the phone controls anyway.

Originally Posted by jlukja
By that, I meant the "turn key once, to lock, turn key second time and hold to close all windows." No, I don't think you can do it with the fob. Not sure why, that'd be super-convenient.

Originally Posted by cibs
Windows with auto-up features (like the drivers side window on our TSX) must have anti-pinch sensors - so that if something gets stuck in between the window and the door on it's way up it will notice it and retract back down.
OOps, I didn't think of that. My Sienna (minivan) had that for the power door. Still, do you trust your child's safety on a circuit that you don't test regularly? I like that this car's moonroof control is on the dash, and has to be held down to operate -- the Sienna had the close button right by it, pretty much a distraction while driving to find it.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by Tsx6363
isn't it possible if you get the "module" for your FOB?
Yes, the up window module from KPtechnologies. It's the HM-20. Works great Here's the thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=window+module
Old 08-15-2007, 09:25 AM
2008 TL-S Blue 6spd

Originally Posted by DemonPoofball
So, how rediculous is it that after 11 pages, the only thing I've learned (other than that diagnostics thing) is where the outside trunk release is! I looked all over for that thing one day and had figured that maybe it was all about the fob these days...
I've figured that one in the showroom just before buying the car
Old 08-17-2007, 12:27 AM
Advanced

Auto dim mirror off when in reverse

I hate to revive such an old thread, but an easter egg I have found out is when I put my 5AT in reverse to back out of my garage, the auto dimmer turns off. Pretty cool function for unobstructed vision. Your welcome!
Old 08-17-2007, 07:46 AM

^ Didn't find that in my manual ... voila! Easter egg! Thanks.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:08 AM
still plays with cars

Originally Posted by snailspeed
I hate to revive such an old thread, but an easter egg I have found out is when I put my 5AT in reverse to back out of my garage, the auto dimmer turns off. Pretty cool function for unobstructed vision. Your welcome!
I wish I could turn the auto dim off manually - every time the sun is in the rear window
I have to readjust the mirror instead, and am left with only the outside ones. Talk about glare

Back in the good old days there was a day-night mechanical lever, but now some
"smart" (brain-dead) designers control my life electronically. Talk about the law
of unintended consequences ...
Old 08-17-2007, 08:59 AM
Instructor

If you PRESS and HOLD the unlock button for 2 seconds until all four windows including sunroof rolls down
Old 08-17-2007, 09:09 AM
Off roading in his

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MMJK84
If you PRESS and HOLD the unlock button for 2 seconds until all four windows including sunroof rolls down
thats only on the TL, on the tsx only the windows go down, the sunroof remains closed
Old 08-17-2007, 11:47 AM
Instructor

pull the power wire out from the auto dim
Old 08-17-2007, 01:13 PM
6MT or Death

Originally Posted by nbtx
I wish I could turn the auto dim off manually - every time the sun is in the rear window
I have to readjust the mirror instead, and am left with only the outside ones. Talk about glare

Back in the good old days there was a day-night mechanical lever, but now some
"smart" (brain-dead) designers control my life electronically. Talk about the law
of unintended consequences ...
Are you serious? You can't find the only button on the mirror that glows green? I'd press it if I was you.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:55 PM
Sweet!

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by cibs

That's why they don't have it on all the windows - it's more complicated and expensive than just creating a circuit that allows power to flow for 3 seconds instead of just immediate...

Nobody has ever stuck their arm in the path of the drivers window when it rolls up automatically? I did, and it doesn't hurt! As soon as the window senses resistance, it rolls back down about 6 inches. I think it's really cool. I did find out, however, that if you hold the switch in the roll-up position and stick your arm out the window, then it hurts, lol.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:00 PM
Sweet!

I asked this question. It's a legitimate question, in my opinion, and nobody asking it should be "smaked". Other make/models do it...smack them too?
Old 08-17-2007, 04:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by thunder04
Nobody has ever stuck their arm in the path of the drivers window when it rolls up automatically? I did, and it doesn't hurt! As soon as the window senses resistance, it rolls back down about 6 inches. I think it's really cool. I did find out, however, that if you hold the switch in the roll-up position and stick your arm out the window, then it hurts, lol.

LOL....Alot of spare time on your hands?
Old 08-17-2007, 05:19 PM
Sweet!

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
LOL....Alot of spare time on your hands?

lol...well I do work for a school district....

But no, I didn't have any "extra" time on my hands, I'm just the type of person who has to fiddle with each and every feature of my new toys. So, when I read about the auto window and it's auto rolldown when obstructed, I just had to test it.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
lol...well I do work for a school district....

But no, I didn't have any "extra" time on my hands, I'm just the type of person who has to fiddle with each and every feature of my new toys. So, when I read about the auto window and it's auto rolldown when obstructed, I just had to test it.
How very Homer Simpson of you....LOL. I'm guilty of doing that sort of thing as well, I'm just messin with ya.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by MMJK84
Please confirm your facts before posting.... Did you even realize you're in the TSX area, not TL area?
Old 08-17-2007, 10:48 PM

I asked this question. It's a legitimate question, in my opinion, and nobody asking it should be "smaked". Other make/models do it...smack them too?
I don't think you caught my tongue in cheek tone. But I admit to having checked the "pinch" sensor on my old 2000 Toyo Sienna power door. I used my arm, instead of a broomstick ... how "duh" was that?

It hadn't occurred to me that power windows have pinch sensors. Still, how much force is exerted on any power window and ... do you want to trust a sensor with a child's life?
Old 08-18-2007, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by snailspeed
Tried this today ... not in my 2006 TSX.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:33 PM
Pro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D2abEfxvHc
Old 08-19-2007, 06:15 PM
2008 TL-S Blue 6spd

seen before, boring not funny
and mostly unappropriate for this forum

...a cat lover
Old 08-20-2007, 03:25 PM
10th Gear

here's an easter egg... Stick your daughters head or extremity in the drivers window and test out the one-touch up button (don't actually do this). Why is this cool you ask? because it has an auto down sensor if it detects any obstruction, preventing any harm if you were to actually stick your daughters head in the window and close it. Thats terrible, dont ever do that....

Resurrect....

Thank you, thank you, after reading the manual for my '06 through, I couldn't find any mention of these, and figured they were contingent fixtures for an option. But what, I thought. I've been really puzzled and stumped to the point of distraction. You're quite possibly right that the card slots are for card-keys or something. Or a registration wallet. Or money clip. The possibilities are numerous....

The loops on the bottom of the tray are most likely cord guides for a charger or AUX stereo cable, as they lead to the hole(s).

Speaking of the radio...

I'll have to look, but my code was provided on a card, which I keep at home. I asked an Acura service manager about the "key number tag" that new owners get for the ignition keys, and he told me without hesitation that they can look up the key and radio codes for any vehicle with the VIN. They don't need your card. In fact, a coworker needed his radio code while driving to work, called his dealership, they recognized him, looked it up, and gave it to him over the phone. He was listening to tunes before he got to the office. THAT'S service!

... Now ... I'm reading through here and chuckling like everyone who's RTFMed. Many of these "amazing" secret features are amenties that are described clearly. But finding them yourself doesn't diminish your delight, I know, so stop grumbling. You paid for these little "touches," so enjoy 'em.

But here's one I couldnt' find.... When I fling the driver's door open, past the first detent to the second, full-open detent, it can sometimes bounce there. No surprise there. I noticed it may bounce back to the first detent. So I started getting out of the car, timing it so that the door missed me as it slowly swung closed again. If it gets enough force from the spring(s), it will clear that first detent and then ... very quietly, gently close. No kidding. The springs are not so strong as to slam the door, so it's a matter of balance and timing. But time and again, I've managed to bounce the door open, hop out, and stand there and watch the door slowly swing close, pass that first detent, and securely close itself shut. I laughed out loud like a kid the first time I did this. Magic ... or incredibly savvy, painstaking engineering.

Closing windows:

I'll bet the reason the only "close all windows" method is twisting and holding the key in the driver's lock (like a deadman switch) is that young 'uns can't manage that. Think childproof medicine bottles. A lot of childproof safety devices are made so that a child younger than say six years old simply can't do it, not enough muscle.

... This hasn't been mentioned in a while, but there's a little lip/handle on the right-inside of the trunk lid, which must be a handhold to pull the trunk closed while you pull your hand away. So you don't get finger prints on the trunk; it also discourages slamming the trunk lid down. I use it every time.

... For recent model years that have the AUX input in the console ... the AUX option isn't available unless you have a cable in there. But ... didja notice that when you first plug in a cord, the radio (on my non-navi veh. at least) switches to AUX automagically?

... The rubber liners in the console, upper forward cubby, and interior door pulls ... come out for cleaning. You detailers have already found this, naturally.

One more ... not an Easter egg, it's in the manual ... the window switches will operate up to 30 minutes after the ignition is turned completely off. I think so long as you haven't opened a door, or locked up. Now that's a luxury amenity.Why, I wondered? Well, if you sit there for a while while waiting for the kids to get out of school, 10 minutes go by before you realize you need to open the windows, you can. Then, if realize you have to go on in and get 'em out of detention,... you can step out, lock the driver's door, then use the "second lock" technique to close all the windows you opened. Some usability engineer stayed up late drinking green tea thinking that one through.

All these ... make me confident that I bought the right car. How about you?
Old 08-20-2007, 04:13 PM
Sweet!

I don't think you caught my tongue in cheek tone. But I admit to having checked the "pinch" sensor on my old 2000 Toyo Sienna power door. I used my arm, instead of a broomstick ... how "duh" was that?

It hadn't occurred to me that power windows have pinch sensors. Still, how much force is exerted on any power window and ... do you want to trust a sensor with a child's life?
True...sensors can and do fail.

Quick Reply: "Easter Eggs"?