"Easter Eggs"?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 05:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Re: Security Risk Easter Egg

Originally posted by fdl
Come on. This can't be true! That would defeat the whole purpose of having this code. My dealer made such a big stink about not losing the code or else its a big problem etc, etc. Are you sure?
I'm definitely sure b/c I removed mine when I picked it up. My "insider" at Acura showed it to me and I took it out. I couldn't believe either and the reason they don't tell you about it is so that you won't know and can't tell anyone. Since I found out about it, I kept the little secret until the whole radio code was brought up. I figured the rest of you would want to take it out as well.

Also, I doubt there is much of a theft issue with the radios. However, the code is there for the service people. Whenever they do work on you car, they have to unplug the neg. battery terminal. They need the code easily accessible when they hook everything back up. That's why the sticker is there.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:39 AM
'12 TL (prev '04 TSX 6MT)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Security Risk Easter Egg

Originally posted by moda_way
However, the code is there for the service people. Whenever they do work on you car, they have to unplug the neg. battery terminal. They need the code easily accessible when they hook everything back up. That's why the sticker is there.
So just keep in mind that if you remove that code from the glovebox then take your TSX in to be worked on, that you'll have to provide that code to the mechanics or else reset the radio yourself.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:15 AM
Suzuka Master

This is all nice and fine....

...but why the heck would anyone even want to steal this radio? It's enormous. What would you do with it?
Old 09-19-2003, 11:21 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by ClutchPerformer
This is all nice and fine....

...but why the heck would anyone even want to steal this radio? It's enormous. What would you do with it?
Guys that steal radios aren't the sharpest pencils in the box.
Old 09-19-2003, 04:34 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Check out the price to replace an OEM radio.

Some of the Accord units range from 800-1000 dollars to replace. So if you spilled something on are cracked the LCD on your radio an e-bay radio is really the only solution unless you purchase from the dealer.

This is why I would steal your radio.
Old 09-19-2003, 04:43 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by MrChad

Some of the Accord units range from 800-1000 dollars to replace. So if you spilled something on are cracked the LCD on your radio an e-bay radio is really the only solution unless you purchase from the dealer.

This is why I would steal your radio.
True, but that is less likely to be an issue for the TSX because there will be fewer on the road and, hence, less demand for the radio.

Also, I have to say that I drove Accords for 15 years and never had anybody try to take the radio. So. the market value may not be that great.
Old 09-19-2003, 05:40 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by MrChad
True, but people don't steal OEM radios.

Years ago when I had my 97 Prelude and it was very new, my wife and I lived in an apt complex that was close to a bad area. Our Prelude was by a very long way the nicest car in the complex. A couple of times we came out in the morning and saw that someone had a busted window and a missing stereo and we thought we were lucky.

Anyway, one morning I came out, and there was condensation on the windows and when you looked closely you could see where a hand had wiped it off to look inside. So they had checked out our car before breaking in to someone elses.

All the cars that got broken into had aftermarket radios, ours was OEM. You're much safer with an OEM radio. Thieves aren't smart, but they learn pretty quickly that what sells is something that's not car brand specific.

C.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:39 PM
Banned

yesterday I was in my car and opened my glove box from the driver's seat. and there was the code... plain as day.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm not sure if this is something new but it isn't documented in the manual. If the alarm is set and after the 15 seconds exit delay expires, lifting the lock tab from any of the doors either through a broken window or a window left open will set off the alarm. You don't even have to open the door for the alarm to go off.
Old 09-21-2003, 08:26 PM
Banned

I was sitting in my car and I thought "wow wouldn't it be cool if I held the EJECT button and it popped out all 6 CDs?" So I did and it did.
Old 09-21-2003, 09:30 PM
Still here

Originally posted by tehCOW
yep, it is an alpine. if u do not believe us search for it. i think this has be discussed before. oh the wonderful speakers in our cars are clipped on rather than screwed on. But they still sound great
Actually, the Navi is Alpine, the speakers are Pioneer, and the Cd changer is Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd.

aka: Panasonic or JVC

"(Matsushita Electric Industrial Co) produces electric and electronic products under the Panasonic, National, Technics, Quasar, Victor, and JVC trade names."

Personally, I'd like to think the cd player is a Technics, it would go well with my favorite Technics 1200 turntables
Old 10-02-2003, 03:29 PM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Window switch lights

I don't think this was mentioned, and I didn't see it in the manual:

The power window switches all light up to make them easy to find in the dark. What I just realized is that window switches only light when they are active.

That means, for example, if you disable the passenger power windows, their switches don't light. It also means that the window switches stay lit for 10 minutes after you turn off the ignition (assuming you don't open a door).

Not really a big feature, but I thought it was cool.
Old 10-02-2003, 04:00 PM
Instructor

Pretty cool about the switch lights!!
I also found another one and YES it has to do with the windows!!!
You know how if you put the key in the door and turn it counterclockwise you can "roll" the windows up from the outside, well........... If you do that from the outside and someone is sitting inside with the doors closed(? not sure if they need to be or not) the person inside can open and or close the windows while the key is in the hole and turned.
Now....
Do I win the prize for most eggs found?
Old 10-28-2003, 05:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you have your air controls set to whatever you want (including the A/C off but fans on) then turn the front defroster on, after your press the front defroster off, it returns you back to your original settings.

This was on a Non-navi system.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:48 PM
Instructor

When the navigation screen has the OK button with the warning on it, you can still hit the Info button to get to the trip computer, but the calendar and calculator are greyed out until you hit OK on the warning screen.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:33 PM
Intermediate

Re: "Easter Eggs"?

Originally posted by gregor
I know you can roll the windows down by holding the unlock button on the fob
Well I just had to try this however I was disappointed when they did not come back up if i held the lock button. Not something I wanted to find out living on the third floor when it is 28 degrees outside.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:38 PM
Instructor

nope, windows only open by remote, you can close them by holding the key in the door.
Old 12-05-2003, 02:14 PM
Intermediate

I wish someone would find a way to close the windows by remote. my buddy did it to his A4.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:38 PM
Intermediate

My favorite TSX feature is getting behind the wheel and going down the highway. Just open the door, sit in the drivers seat, close door, turn ignition key, engage the tranny, and go.
Old 12-06-2003, 12:35 AM
Pro

Originally posted by Terry
My favorite TSX feature is getting behind the wheel and going down the highway. Just open the door, sit in the drivers seat, close door, turn ignition key, engage the tranny, and go.
Gasp! Did Acura not explain how to have fun with the TSX in the manual???
Old 12-11-2003, 02:17 PM
Bite my shiney metal ass.

auto volume down feature?

Found this by accident 5 times before I realized what was going on . Immediately after turning on the radio, double clicking the volume control (up or down) will automatically turn the volume to MIN. Or turning the volume knob 1 click either way works too, but who uses that?

PS - 1st post
Old 12-11-2003, 03:12 PM
Large Member

Re: auto volume down feature?

Originally posted by A4NoMore
Found this by accident 5 times before I realized what was going on . Immediately after turning on the radio, double clicking the volume control (up or down) will automatically turn the volume to MIN.
A4NoMore, welcome. As for the Easter Egg you found, well done!! I thought I had found that before, sheerly by accident as you mentioned. I had turned on the car and double clicked to basically mute to see if it worked, and sure enough it muted. I listen to the radio pretty loud, so this was a nice feature to discover. But I tried duplicating it to no avail. Maybe my timing was off on the retest. I figured I was just losing my mind, and that it was a glitch the one time that it happened.

Good find! I guess it wasn't a fluke or a glitch.

Welcome again.

TEIGER
Old 12-11-2003, 03:25 PM
Bite my shiney metal ass.

It's more like 2 single clicks instead of the fast double click of a mouse.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:38 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by A4NoMore
It's more like 2 single clicks instead of the fast double click of a mouse.
I found this the other day and felt more that it was an annoyance. I often turn the radio off for various reasons, and when I turn it back on, it's usually too loud. So as a reflex, I turn the radio on and lower the volume with the same motion. This "easter egg" causes it to be at volume 0 every time.

What's happening is, when the radio is turned on, it slowly increases the volume from 0 to the previous setting. When you move the knob (or the wheel mounted button), it halts the phasing in of the old volume level.

I just have to retrain myself to not turn the knob when turning on the radio.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:43 AM
TechLedr

Small feature I discovered on my TSX which was NOT available in my prior Toyota's is the Cruise will resume back to prior set speed, even after a Cancel, or even a complete stop. Nice!
Old 06-23-2004, 11:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by fdl
You guys gotta read the manual
what manual ?
Old 06-23-2004, 11:06 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
To borrow somebody's phrase, "Holy resurrected thread Batman".
Old 06-23-2004, 11:36 PM
Racer

You know, actual features of the car can't really be called "easter eggs". I think of easter eggs more like the moment you hit 50,000 miles the car does a little jingo on the navi
Old 06-24-2004, 11:36 PM
That blowed up real good!

Not a real biggie, but did anyone notice the built-in handle on the inside of the trunk lid for closing?
Old 06-24-2004, 11:57 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Weck
Not a real biggie, but did anyone notice the built-in handle on the inside of the trunk lid for closing?
yep..use it all the time
Old 06-25-2004, 12:33 PM
You will do as I say

Instrument Cluster dual mode settings

Not sure if this one is in the manual but I kind of found it by accident. The instrument cluster can have two different brightness settings: one for when the lights are off and the other for when they are on....very nice.

To set the brightness for each mode, just adjust the brightness of the gauges when the lights are on and again when off. The computer will "remember" your settings for each mode.

First car I have ever had with that feature.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Not sure if this one is in the manual but I kind of found it by accident. The instrument cluster can have two different brightness settings: one for when the lights are off and the other for when they are on....very nice.

To set the brightness for each mode, just adjust the brightness of the gauges when the lights are on and again when off. The computer will "remember" your settings for each mode.

First car I have ever had with that feature.
yup its pretty cool
Old 07-23-2004, 01:48 PM
Instructor

There are two ways of disabling the truck release, and to be secure, you need to do both. Because there's no lock cylinder on the truck, the latch is electonically controlled (hence the lock-out switch in the glove box). The release circuit is disabled whenever the doors are locked. If the doors are unlocked (by a vallet) the truck can be opened from the outside if the switch is not turned off. THe lock cylinder next to the manual interior release mechanically isolates the lever, prohibiting the trunk from being opened from the inside. They should've just made the lock-out on the lever also a switch, such that when it's in the lock position, the electrical circuit is disabled as well.

Hope that helps,

Cheers
Old 08-06-2004, 10:10 PM
Intermediate

Thanks guys. Great find!

I'll try to discover some myself and add it on here, if I find any.

Again, many thanks.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:46 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Bump because there's some good stuff in here for the noobies.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Resurrection!
Old 01-26-2005, 10:09 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,232 Likes on 822 Posts
I think I heard that on the 05, if you turn on the radio and them press XM, you can get XM radio stations. Can someone confirm?
Old 01-26-2005, 10:38 AM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Smile

Originally Posted by HIP
Excellent response Nuke you win.

Not sure why Honda abandoned plastic, but in this case I'm glad they did.
This is old news IMO. My wife's old 93 Prelude, my 95 Civic, and our 00 S2000 all have metal fuel doors.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:59 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Todays Destinations tip

Somebody asked in the RL forum about adding addresses while you are in route to multiple destinations using the Todays Destinations feature, so I played around with the navi a little and came up with this. If you are a user of "Todays Destinations" and want to add addresses to the already entered ones while you are in route, these are the instructions:

You should be able to do this by hitting the "Menu" button 2 times when you are in route. Hitting the button the second time should bring you to the normal menu screen where you can enter an address, but the previous destinations will not be affected. You can then edit the "Today's destinations" to place the new address where you want it in the sequence.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:25 PM
Racer

if you press and hold the cd/aux button the subdisplay unit will turn off

Quick Reply: "Easter Eggs"?