"Easter Eggs"?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 07:43 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Where's the Weapons Van...?

Originally Posted by TommySalami
wtf, why do people do that, like tailgating someone is showing them a lesson or something?
the TSX needs an oil slick easter egg
Originally Posted by dlee74
Also a smoke screen easter egg. haaa
Cue Spyhunter theme.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wackura
When I was driving through Montana some guy thought the HID headlights were high beams and rode my tail a while before deciding he wasn't going to chop me up at his cabin up in the hills. They might be doing more harm than good.

he turned around to follow you?! that's pretty scary
Old 11-28-2007, 06:18 PM

Montana ... where the men are men, and the sheep are scared. (ducking and running)
Old 11-29-2007, 12:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ruffellprefley
he turned around to follow you?! that's pretty scary
I came up behind him and passed him, and after I passed he rode my tail and turned on his high beams for a minute or two.

In the past week I was flashed three times by people thinking I had my high beams on. I thought HID headlights were supposed to promote safety but instead scores of people wish me harm.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:53 PM
DNIYM

I have a 2004 w/o Navi and I found if you press and hold the CD/AUX button on the radio down for about 5-6 seconds the clock, radio and HVAC displays shut off followed with a "beep" tone. If pressed and held again they all come back on. Comes in handy when you want the inside of the vehicle dark but vehicle is still running.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:02 PM

Yep. #21 on on the list that I made from all the previous pages. I like it for an extended drive where I only want the instrument cluster lit. (The console indicator lights are still on, but the displays are disabled.)
Old 12-02-2007, 08:15 PM
Instructor

I came up behind him and passed him, and after I passed he rode my tail and turned on his high beams for a minute or two.

In the past week I was flashed three times by people thinking I had my high beams on. I thought HID headlights were supposed to promote safety but instead scores of people wish me harm.
It wouldn't have helped in your case, but in general when people seem to be annoyed with me due to the brightness of my lights (ie, they flash their high beams at me), I simply flash my high beams at them, instantly showing them that they were not on.

But it's not often an issue. A lot of cars around here have HID lamps; I think people are getting used to them.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:20 PM
Banned

Just yesterday I pulled up behind a motorcycle and the guy turned his head a couple times and seemed to be mean mugging me. He probably couldn't quite tell if they were high beams or not. It's insane. If stupidly bright lights were such a great idea then when have they been relatively dim for many decades past? I can't believe this isn't a more more wide spread concern.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:05 AM
Racer

How many cars have these exact HID lights? What manufactures are they? If there are good numbers around then it should be ok.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:26 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Something I found yesterday (I hope i'm not restating it, but I searched your pdf and couldn't find it..)

If you have NAVI - you can get the same information as with the voice command "Display Current Location" if you just touch the arrow representing your car on the screen.

Just yesterday I pulled up behind a motorcycle and the guy turned his head a couple times and seemed to be mean mugging me. He probably couldn't quite tell if they were high beams or not. It's insane. If stupidly bright lights were such a great idea then when have they been relatively dim for many decades past? I can't believe this isn't a more more wide spread concern.
because they didn't have the technology in decades past? Perhaps you should buy a Model T - I hear their lights don't get many complaints at all...
Old 12-03-2007, 09:03 AM
Banned

I don't know, they've had realy bright lights for quite some time. Other motorists want to kill me and it's all a big joke to you.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:57 AM
Drifting

I don't know, they've had realy bright lights for quite some time. Other motorists want to kill me and it's all a big joke to you.
They literally want to kill you?

I've had a few people that have high-beamed me because they think I have my high-beams on... I usually just flash them back with my high-beams and then watch the bewildered look at their faces when they see that they weren't my highbeams.

HID's are bright yes, but if they're set properly the cut off (which is very sharp) keeps the light out of 99% peoples eyes... note that it's not just how bright the light is but where it's aimed that can cause problems. I've probably been 'blinded' by more Expeditions, Suburbans, and Denali's that don't have HID's than I have by vehicles equipped with HID's only because of their hight compared to mine...

Perhaps I just don't live in an area that has as a high rate of deaths attributable to road rage as yours.

And until recently HID lamps weren't viable for inclusion into cars as they were too expensive... as with all innovations - it's only a matter of time until the technology filters down to all cars.

Either way - this definitely doesn't have anything to do with Easter Eggs..
Old 12-03-2007, 10:01 AM

Holy thread drift, Batman.

I stopped politely blinking my high's at people when I began seeing single bulb lights brighter than halogen on the road (i.e. xenon gas HIDs) ... and upped the ante (a little) by putting Euro halogen units in my Jeep. This was years, YEARS, ago. If numbskulls out there still to this day think someone's shining highs at them just because they're HID xenon's, well.... The size of the lens/reflector on HIDs is different from halogens, so only the "dimmest light bulbs" out there think "ug, it bright, must be high beams, ergo attack, kill, destroy." If other motorists go out of their way to be combative about it, that's road rage, not a problem with headlights; let's not confuse the issue.

FWIW, though lens cleaners aren't required in the US (they limit the amount of glare resulting from lens buildup), you can help other drivers by keeping those headlight assemblies clean.

P.S. I always liked what John Gardner had on the resurrected (literary) James Bond's Saab ... a concealed aircraft landing light behind a flip-down license plate. Effective at blinding an oncoming adversary.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cibs
They literally want to kill you?

I've had a few people that have high-beamed me because they think I have my high-beams on... I usually just flash them back with my high-beams and then watch the bewildered look at their faces when they see that they weren't my highbeams.
Either way - this definitely doesn't have anything to do with Easter Eggs..
It's funny that you'd note the lack of topic relevance but respond anyway. Lights of equivelent brightness have existed for a very long time. I've had a fellow motorist obviously become very upset, and the fact that I didn't make my lights less bright somehow might be seen as a taunt, as for flashing the actual high beams, that could be seen as a taunt as well, or an attempt to communicate something vague, how am I to know they will perceive it as a good natured communication and not a taunt?
Old 12-03-2007, 10:57 AM

Well you don't. You simply intuit what would work for you, and treat others appropriately. In my decades experience with bright Jeep lights, a momentary (just a quickie, mind you) demonstration that "these aren't my high beams, these are" has almost always been satisfactory. Only one or two buttheads had to give "payback" regardless. Your experience may vary. Road ragers who want to antagonize or kill you, will probably want to anyway, even if you pull over, douse your lights, and serve beer and peanuts.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:52 AM
Drifting

^^ It's more of a "these aren't my high beams" than "wow you're such a fucktard i'm gonna kill you" ... unless you're one of those road ragers you mentioned earlier.

btw - my note about it being off topic was my edit...
still waiting to see if anyone else knew about my 'Easter Egg' discovery or if everyone knew it all along and I was the only one stupid enough to post it up here
Old 12-03-2007, 11:56 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Back on Topic

Lets move talk of blinding headlights to a more appropriate thread, like this one for instance, and get back on topic.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:48 PM

still waiting to see if anyone else knew about my 'Easter Egg' discovery or if everyone knew it all along and I was the only one stupid enough to post it up here
I don't recall seeing it. I'll rremember to add it the ye olde PDF that I've been collecting them in. I don't have NAVI, so I don't know if it's in the manual. Maybe someone can check?
Old 12-09-2007, 09:24 PM

Something I found yesterday (I hope i'm not restating it, but I searched your pdf and couldn't find it..)

If you have NAVI - you can get the same information as with the voice command "Display Current Location" if you just touch the arrow representing your car on the screen.
I found it on p. 18 of the Navigation system Manual (2008 ed.).

I dunno if you consider this an Easter egg, but with the advent of colder weather in NC (not lately ... it'll be up to 78° tomorrow, whassup with that?) I've noticed that when I turn on the HVAC (usually a minute or two after starting the engine over), it blows very little. It picks up the fan speed when the air is warmer.

Oh. It's in the manual, p. 163. RTFM FTW.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:28 AM
Pro

I'll all this one an anti-"Easter Egg".

In winter weather, I've noticed that the climate control fan will not turn off momentarily for voice commands. Makes using voice commands almost impossible (and rather frustrating and futile) in the winters since the system has such a hard time hearing what you're trying to say - especially when moving (when voice commands are most beneficial!).
Old 12-10-2007, 11:48 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by davidspalding
I found it on p. 18 of the Navigation system Manual (2008 ed.).

I dunno if you consider this an Easter egg, but with the advent of colder weather in NC (not lately ... it'll be up to 78° tomorrow, whassup with that?) I've noticed that when I turn on the HVAC (usually a minute or two after starting the engine over), it blows very little. It picks up the fan speed when the air is warmer.

Oh. It's in the manual, p. 163. RTFM FTW.
Thanks for finding it David! ... damned if I must've looked over it a bunch of times.

Yeah the fan speed thing in the winter is set like that so it doesn't blow cold air on you... nothing more annoying than being freezing cold and having freezing cold air being blown on you...

and about the fan speed I think it always leaves the fan on when the HVAC is working hard, cooling really hard, or heating really hard...

I could be wrong about the cooling tho, but I guess I'll have to wait till next june to find out!
Old 12-22-2007, 09:10 PM

In another thread, a user found an ingenious use for the HFL phonebook function. I'll let Trip describe:

Originally Posted by Trip
HFL is awesome. Another cool feature is the ability to send strings of data.

I programmed my office voice mail login and password into the HFL. After dialing into voice mail, I need to tap *81 to login, then my mailbox number#, and finally password#. In HFL under "Work Login" I saved the string *81 _ _ _ 1234# _ 123456# where "_" is SAY "pause".

To use:

Say "CALL Work Number", "Yes"

Say "SEND Work Login", "Yes"

To make a menu selection say "SEND 1 #(pound)" for example.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:03 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by davidspalding
In another thread, a user found an ingenious use for the HFL phonebook function. I'll let Trip describe:
Not quite clear, that which you just spoke...
Old 02-21-2008, 02:08 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
with the HFL you can also save numbers other than just phone numbers, like voicemail passwords.

after you have the HFL dial the voicemail number, push the talk button again and say "send (name of saved data)" then "yes" at the prompt.

it will type the password for you.

i use the pause command in my actual voicemail number so there is no need to push talk then say send password. *86______1234#.

luther
Old 02-26-2008, 11:38 AM

True, you can record any login commands, or review past voice mails command string, in the dialed number. But if you also use the dialed number phonebook entry to listen to NEW messages, the additional string can interrupt playback. So you can have two entries "voicemail" and "voicemail no new messages," or have a separate entry for the string. Likewise, if you use a system with multiple strings for commands (like, say, "Admin - Greetings - Change your default greeting - Record"), having a discrete entry can be useful.

The possibilities aren't endless, but they come close.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:17 PM
4th Gear

Happy Easter!
Old 03-23-2008, 10:15 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Swing and a miss.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:56 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
not really an easter egg, but since my buddy with a 2003 325i wont stop complaining that my tsx can do this, but his car cant.. i figured id put it up here..

when you use the headlight auto shut-off feature, after the lights have shut off automatically, you can turn them back on by hitting unlock on ur remote. What good is that? I dunno lol... but the headlights are pretty impressive, so if ur eating at a nice patio in summer, and its nighttime, and somehow the topic of discussion turns to who has the coolest HIDs... well now u can let ppl judge for themselves without ever getting out of ur chair!!
Old 06-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by moda_way
I just found this one (b/c I have access to AllData):

How to Retrieve a DTC (Without HDS)

The audio-HVAC display module has a self-diagnosis function for climate control. To run the self-diagnosis function, do the following:

1. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).
2. Press the AUTO button, and set the temperature to Lo.
3. Press and hold the OFF button. While holding the OFF button, press the rear window defogger button fire times within 10 seconds . The self-diagnosis will begin.

If there is any problem in the system, the temperature indicator will light up the segment (A through Q) corresponding to the error. The temperature indicator will then alternate every second between displaying "88" (all segments lit) and the error code segment (A through Q). To determine the meaning of the DTC, refer to the DTC Troubleshooting Index.

There are a couple of pics that show you what A-Q is, but it has to do with the Driver and Passenger temp numbers. It will show 88 every couple of seconds to switch between codes.

Cancelling the Self-diagnosis Function

Turn the ignition switch OFF or press the AUTO button to cancel the self-diagnosis function. After completing repair work, run the self-diagnosis function again to make sure that there are no other malfunctions.
This doesnt work with the navigation model
Old 06-13-2008, 01:00 PM
Advanced

My brother noticed this the other day. On the doors there is a little hole in the armrest part for you to grab on to pull the door closed. Sometimes people put crap in those things. Well you can pick up the little rubber piece on the bottom of that compartment to make vacuuming it easier I guess? It slips right back in.

Sorry if this is confusing, I don't know how to describe it any better.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:22 PM

Yep, the rubber inserts are in several places. The "CD storage" console cubby hole has one (taking it out lets you store one more jewel case). Does the armrest lower storage compartment have one? Can't recall. But it's a nice touch.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:44 PM
Burning Brakes

is there any way to have the mid in front of you while driving just be blank... i have an 06
Old 07-14-2008, 03:13 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by dBski11
is there any way to have the mid in front of you while driving just be blank... i have an 06
I have an 08 but if I don't press the "i", then the MID stays blank. If I press it, I can cycle through until it's gone again.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:48 PM

(p. 70 of the 2007 manual, probably same in 2006's OM)

In my 06, if you don't select a display, it stays blank (until oil life hits 15%, dammit). Sometimes if I had the display on (Actual MPG, or AVG MPG) when Cruise Control was on, when I reenable it driving it the next day, the MID returns to the display I had. Sometimes it doesn't. Kinda weird, can't find the pattern.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:02 PM
Intermediate

Happy Easter!!!!!!!!
Old 10-20-2013, 12:46 PM
3rd Gear

I don't know if anyone mentioned this or if it's in the manual but on a base package second generation (2009+) TSX...On steering wheel press the "SEL/RESET" and up arrow button right next to it, hold both buttons down and on your cluster you will go into settings of adjusting your doors locking and unlocking, headlights staying on delay, trip A resetting on refuel, dome lights delay turn off upon shut down, and a few other settings.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:02 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Gpkrepo
I don't know if anyone mentioned this or if it's in the manual but on a base package second generation (2009+) TSX...On steering wheel press the "SEL/RESET" and up arrow button right next to it, hold both buttons down and on your cluster you will go into settings of adjusting your doors locking and unlocking, headlights staying on delay, trip A resetting on refuel, dome lights delay turn off upon shut down, and a few other settings.
Thanks for sharing. This is the gen1 forum though, and our cars don't have an up arrow button. All of those settings are available in the gen1 by accessing the advanced settings. I think you do this by holding the information button on the steering wheel.