Bird dropping left a mark on my TSX - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 08:40 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Bird dropping left a mark on my TSX - HELP!

I am so mad! I noted some bird dropping on my car today, but I didn't have a chance to wipe it off... I just got home and tried to wash the entire car now.... there is already a mark left on my NHB clear coat!!! I tried to wash it again and again, and even tried using a clay bar, but nothing has worked. In fact, all this cleaning has left even more scratch marks on the car. HELP! What do I do now???

(I posted this message in the Car Wash forum too - I hope you don't mind me posting it here too because I am desperate for help!)
Old 06-02-2004, 08:44 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you should of purchased the paint protection,,,,,you probably told the finance guy or girl you dont believe in that stuff!!
If you had of , you would get a free repair,,,,,,,, worth the money my friend
Old 06-02-2004, 08:55 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by happy2k
you should of purchased the paint protection,,,,,you probably told the finance guy or girl you dont believe in that stuff!!
That's probably not as informative as the bird would have preferred. Not necessary pal.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:00 PM
Drifting

Thank you, Jason. Happy2K's response was definitely not helpful. I didn't even know about the "paint protection" he was referring to and it was not even an answer to my question.

So does anyone have any constructive suggestion please?
Old 06-02-2004, 09:05 PM
Racer

No need to rub salt on the man's wound...

hey ostrich, try a product called 3M Imperial Hand Glaze (do not get the machine glaze version unless you have an R.O.buffer). It works remarkably well on swirl marks, minor clearcoat scratches and blemishes, etching caused by acid rain and bird shit, etc especially for dark paints. Bird poop usually leaves a blemish because it etches the clearcoat and the black paint makes it very visible. The hand glaze is a great product. I've used it forever and it makes a perfect pre-wax clearcoat treatment to do once or twice a year. One suggestion though, if you use it, you're better off treating the whole car because it leaves a slick gloss and renders the car's clearcoat renewed but completely naked. You must then apply a new coat of wax or two as this product just about removes whatever wax was on there to begin with. Oh another tip, make sure you don't treat the clear plastic headlamp housings with it... that could be bad... there are special products for those things like Meguiar's #17/#10. Good luck.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:06 PM
A-TSX Driver...

Wow! Now that's some serious poop. I've had it leave marks on black paint before, but only after leaving it on for a few days in 90 degree heat - pretty much ate through the clear coat.

One day with poop shouldn't kill the paint. Try waxing with a good cleaner wax and see if the swirls go away. (Don't try to buff out with rubbing compound or anything like that or it could get even worse.)
Old 06-02-2004, 10:47 PM
Drifting

Masmole and hondaboy, thank you so much!

Masmole, I actually just got some Ziano products - I have not had a chance to use them yet. I wonder if this 3M Imperial Hand Glaze will work with the Zaino products?

So, apart from getting the micro-scratches out, is there really nothing I can do about the etching by the bird poop?
Old 06-02-2004, 11:11 PM
Racer

to answer your questions, yes Zaino will work if put on after the hand glaze, in fact I'd recommend doing the entire car with the hand glaze first. Your shine will be much better.

Zaino will also give you considerably more lee way with removing bird crap in the future. That stuff is bullet proof. Best paint protection product on the market, IMO.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:14 PM
Racer

Originally posted by ostrich
Masmole and hondaboy, thank you so much!

Masmole, I actually just got some Ziano products - I have not had a chance to use them yet. I wonder if this 3M Imperial Hand Glaze will work with the Zaino products?

So, apart from getting the micro-scratches out, is there really nothing I can do about the etching by the bird poop?
Yes, the imperial hand glaze will work with the zaino products, assuming you do it after a good car wash and before everything else.

Now, a few words about Zaino... it's a great line of products, and the results you get from it are among the best I've worked with. I used Zaino when I used to live in Cali but ever since moving to metropolitan midwest, I've had to switch to something more durable. While Zaino is great for a car show look, it doesn't provide the protection and durability of a good carnauba wax. Because it didn't rain much in Cali and I lived in an open area with little bird traffic and tree sap issues, Zaino was a good choice and my cars never looked better. Here in chicago, I often park under trees and powerlines curbside, parking lots, etc resulting in daily bird droppings and whatever else being deposited on my clearcoat. Regular multi-coat applications of wax several times a year has protected my paint job and clearcoat from all potential damage over the years. I use blitzwax (one of the best carnauba waxes available) and my favorite thing about it is it lasts a long time. Even put through the entire rainy season, the water will bead off my car for months and remains resistant to bird poop damage even after numerous car washes. Can't say the same for Zaino unfortunately.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:18 PM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
those ",,,,,," look familar
Old 06-02-2004, 11:45 PM
Cruisin'

Maybe none of you are at all interested, but birds actually shit and piss at the same time. That's why bird shit isn't only shit, but shit and piss. Call it Shiss....or Phit maybe.

Seems I have a potty mouth tonight. Hope I don't offend.

How's that for a first post?

Cheers,
Dave --- who ordered a SSM/Ebony or PWP/Ebony last Saturday.....waiting to see what they find for me......!
Old 06-02-2004, 11:54 PM
Master in Science

Originally posted by virus7
those ",,,,,," look familar
Old 06-02-2004, 11:55 PM
Master in Science

Serious bird damage:

Old 06-03-2004, 01:37 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by masmole
Yes, the imperial hand glaze will work with the zaino products, assuming you do it after a good car wash and before everything else.

Now, a few words about Zaino... it's a great line of products, and the results you get from it are among the best I've worked with. I used Zaino when I used to live in Cali but ever since moving to metropolitan midwest, I've had to switch to something more durable. While Zaino is great for a car show look, it doesn't provide the protection and durability of a good carnauba wax. Because it didn't rain much in Cali and I lived in an open area with little bird traffic and tree sap issues, Zaino was a good choice and my cars never looked better. Here in chicago, I often park under trees and powerlines curbside, parking lots, etc resulting in daily bird droppings and whatever else being deposited on my clearcoat. Regular multi-coat applications of wax several times a year has protected my paint job and clearcoat from all potential damage over the years. I use blitzwax (one of the best carnauba waxes available) and my favorite thing about it is it lasts a long time. Even put through the entire rainy season, the water will bead off my car for months and remains resistant to bird poop damage even after numerous car washes. Can't say the same for Zaino unfortunately.
That doesn't reflect my experience with Zaino (or most others I have read about on autopia.com). Zaino, being a polymer, is significantly more durable than any carnuba. I have it on three cars and it holds up for months, even thru automatic car washes.

If it isn't put on correctly (meaning stripping all the waxes, etc... off the paint first with a Dawn wash and then using either Z-1 or ZFX) it won't bond to the paint and will literally wash away.

The biggest reason I switched to it was that it provided better protection against bird bombs.

Zaino, however, has no cleaners in it. It will not fix any paint damage. You need something abrasive for that. I use Einzette products of various harshness to remove surface damage like yours. With black you must end with something pretty mild, or you will see minor surface scratches / hazing.

Then, because Zaino doesn't like fillers, etc... on the paint, I spray the area with a 50/50 H2O Isoproyl Alch solution, wipe it down, and then reZaino.

See Autopia.com for tons of discussions on car detailing.