Noise when turning wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 11:42 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noise when turning wheel

Anyone experience a noise when turning the steering wheel from left to right and back? It's most noticeable when the car is idling while at a stop (either in gear, reverse or in park) or setting up to park. When I turn the wheel just a little bit to the left, then to the right, there is a very small "clunk" or "thud" that can be heard and felt under the floor on the driver's side. I can feel this small thud under my feet when turning the wheel.

I'm no mechanic so I cannot explain how or what is going on down there but it sounds like the whole turning mechanism makes a clunk noise when turning from left to right, but not when turning constantly one way, only when turning one way then the other. (when changing turning direction) I don't know if I am explaining myself correctly.

I first noticed this last weekend when I was backing up. It is hardly noticeable when driving, although no one is really turning the wheel left to right and back on a constant basis, unless trying to warm up their tires! lol I can reproduce the symptom at any time. I had the mechanic take a quick look and he said he hadn't noticed whether or not all RDXs made this sound. They booked me an appointment to have it looked at next week.

Everything feels very solid in the steering and suspension, the whole vehicle feels very "tight" and normal, just that weird noise when turning. Anyone else experience this sound?

Thanks.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:50 PM
El Chulo...

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool

Dogma, I am also experiencing a noise when turning the steering wheel at idle. Mine is more of a rattling noise though vs. a thud, I believe it is something that is just loose down there like some kind of plate or shield..? Just as yours no problems with handling/suspension Let me know what you find out...
oh by the way my RDX is 07 with 31k
Old 07-15-2009, 01:28 PM
Intermediate

Veneno, thanks for the reply.

My RDX is an 08 base with 58,000 km (or approx. 36,000 miles). Maybe my description of a thud is not correct, it's a very small thud, almost as though when turning left to right the turning mechanism seems a little lose (like as though it has a little "give" to it when going from left to right which may be causing this noise). If I do turn the wheel quickly from left to right, it does have a bit of a rattle sound, but not if I do it slowly.

I will post the results whenever I find out.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:06 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by VeNeNo
Dogma, I am also experiencing a noise when turning the steering wheel at idle. Mine is more of a rattling noise though vs. a thud, I believe it is something that is just loose down there like some kind of plate or shield..? Just as yours no problems with handling/suspension Let me know what you find out...
oh by the way my RDX is 07 with 31k
My gf's RDX just started making this exact same noise. Let us know if you guys figure anything out. It definitely sounds like something is loose.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:06 AM
Intermediate

Mmangina, I should be having my RDX looked by Acura this Friday morning. I will post the results immediately after.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:12 PM
El Chulo...

Originally Posted by DOGMA73
Mmangina, I should be having my RDX looked by Acura this Friday morning. I will post the results immediately after.
You the man Dogma keep us posted...........
Old 07-24-2009, 11:12 AM
Intermediate

Just got back from the dealership and after looking at the RDX they said the noise I'm hearing and the "thud" or "clunk" sound I occasionally hear/feel is caused by some bushings that need replacing somewhere in the steering mechanism. They have to order the parts so I will only know for certain if this was the problem some time next week after the bushings are replaced. Apparently it is fine to continue driving.

Great service from the dealership as well I must say! So I will post once I have the bushings replaced to let you all know if this was in fact the problem. (sometime next week)
Old 08-10-2009, 12:56 PM
El Chulo...

Arrow

Dogma installed yet problem resolved..?
Old 08-11-2009, 07:29 AM
Intermediate

Hey,

Just got back from the dealer and they replaced the "front sway bar inner bushings" I believe is what they called it, but this hasn't fixed the noise I'm hearing when turning side to side.

I will have to book another appointment to have this looked at AGAIN!

I will keep updating this thread whenever I have any info.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:07 PM
Intermediate

OK, just got back from the dealer and they are now gonna attempt to change the inner tie rod ends to see if this will fix the problem. If not, apparently the next step may be to replace the entire steering collumn.

While I was in today, I also tried a new RDX to see if the noise was there, and it was not. So there is definitely something not right with mine.

Again, great dealership service. I am still very happy even though the problem still isn't fixed yet!

I will keep you posted when I know more.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:04 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Mmangina
My gf's RDX just started making this exact same noise. Let us know if you guys figure anything out. It definitely sounds like something is loose.
Just thought I'd post up and let you know I figured mine out. Turns out a heat shield on the exhaust (Maybe front-mid cabin) underneath the car was rubbing against the frame. I just bent it away from the frame and voila, noise is gone.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:44 PM
Intermediate

OK, latest update:
Just got back from the dealership. They replaced the "inner tie-rod ends" (I believe) on the front and alligned the wheels. This also did not fix the problem. Next up is to replace the steering column that goes to the rack and pinion. It seems as though there is some play in there and this should fix the problem. They told me that this was the first time they've seen this problem on an RDX but that a few TSXs have had this problem.

I will post more when this next repair gets done.

Once again, service was excellent and efficient!
Old 09-16-2009, 04:33 PM
El Chulo...

Arrow yeah yeah

Originally Posted by DOGMA73
OK, latest update:
Just got back from the dealership. They replaced the "inner tie-rod ends" (I believe) on the front and alligned the wheels. This also did not fix the problem. Next up is to replace the steering column that goes to the rack and pinion. It seems as though there is some play in there and this should fix the problem. They told me that this was the first time they've seen this problem on an RDX but that a few TSXs have had this problem.

I will post more when this next repair gets done.

Once again, service was excellent and efficient!
sounds good, you know my rattle only happens really when i am in reverse and accelerate quickly.. hmmm..? keep us posted
Old 09-17-2009, 12:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mmangina
Just thought I'd post up and let you know I figured mine out. Turns out a heat shield on the exhaust (Maybe front-mid cabin) underneath the car was rubbing against the frame. I just bent it away from the frame and voila, noise is gone.
What year is your RDX? I had the same problem with mine but even after bending the heat shield out of the way, it still somehow started rubbing again. Dealer removed the heat shield and replaced it. Seems mine was very flimsy compared to the newer RDX's and the replacement part. My RDX is 2007, btw.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:38 PM
Intermediate

OK, just got back from the dealer. Problem is FINALLY fixed!!! They replaced the steering rack and noise is completely gone.

Dealership service was excellent as always (Precision Acura in Moncton). I am very happy now!!

I am glad to be able to announce the end of this thread for me.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:08 AM
Racer

Congrats on finding the exact problem on your RDX!

I'd take it this a very slim case scenario(for RDX's)?