Groaning from behind the steering column, and squeaky engine bay when car is moving

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 03:56 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Groaning from behind the steering column, and squeaky engine bay when car is moving

For a while now my 2009 RDX with 147k miles has had this occasional groaning noise from behind the steering column, and a squeaking noise from the engine bay. I thought this was caused by an old drive belt so we ignored it for a while (it only occurred occasionally, and it went away after ≈20 secs). Recently I've had some problems with the starter/alternator that was fixed (hopefully), so while we were fixing that, my dad and I decided to replace the drive belt since it was convenient. Not only did a new drive belt not fix the issue, the noises now occur more frequently, and also for a longer duration.

Details about the Groaning Noise: (I amplified it because it was quiet in the original video)
-Sounds like Chewbacca, or an old door squeaking open.
-Can be heard as soon as key is turned to accessory position, engine doesn't have to be running.
-Only occurs occasionally, noise is only present for 2-3 seconds.
-Has happened in cold and hot temperatures, but consistently occurs when engine is cold.
-Power steering fluid is at the maximum level.
-After doing some research it seems to me like it's a power steering issue, I just don't know if I should replace the whole pump, the seals, or just do a ps fluid flush.

Details about the Squeaking Noise: (This was a video I sent to my friend, sorry about the commentary)
-Sounds like.. squeaking. I don't know how else to describe it haha.
-Occasionally comes on after engine starts running on a cold start, goes away after I start driving for around 30 seconds.
-If power steering is the issue that causes the groaning, could this be my power steering pulley?

Any help or advice is appreciated, thanks in advance!
Old 05-02-2019, 07:36 PM
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by luiskeniosis
...occasional groaning noise from behind the steering column...

-Can be heard as soon as key is turned to accessory position, engine doesn't have to be running.
-Only occurs occasionally, noise is only present for 2-3 seconds...
Yeah, had similar groaning noise and circumstances, air temperature control. To check turn engine on and after noise gone, set the heat to maximum, wait, then coldest...wait... in my case noise was reappearing upon temperature control changes. Under the steering column there is a valve control for air circulation, needs some special grease for the white plastic... if you search the fixes area, its suggested to remove, apply and reinstall; I used a q tip and applied WITHOUT r&r, cycled a few times while doing it. If it doesn't fix it, there were reports to then replace the assembly ($$) ... your case may be different.

Don't know anything about power steering noises as described, if engine not running the accessory belt is not active, no power steering=should not make noise.
If you hear it w engine idling, take the steering reservoir red cap off and look for floating bubbles. If you see them, search for power steering o ring's, there are two that get brittle and allow air into the system. I did only one in about 5' off a connector to the steering pump, a few bucks from dealer, no noise or bubbles since, so did not bother with the second one.
Fyi: for 25$ i had the reservoir replaced when car purchased used, there is a non removable filter inside unrelated to the possible noise (best time to fully replace the fluid). When was your steering fluid last replaced, fresh may quiet it down too?

Engine bay noise, track it down after you fix the cabin groaning and eliminate the steering concerns. See if it is present with or without turning the steering wheel.

Hth

Last edited by Altair; 05-02-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:53 PM
2nd Gear

Air Mix Motor

For a while now my 2009 RDX with 147k miles has had this occasional groaning noise from behind the steering column, and a squeaking noise from the engine bay. I thought this was caused by an old drive belt so we ignored it for a while (it only occurred occasionally, and it went away after ≈20 secs). Recently I've had some problems with the starter/alternator that was fixed (hopefully), so while we were fixing that, my dad and I decided to replace the drive belt since it was convenient. Not only did a new drive belt not fix the issue, the noises now occur more frequently, and also for a longer duration.

Details about the Groaning Noise: (I amplified it because it was quiet in the original video)
-Sounds like Chewbacca, or an old door squeaking open.
-Only occurs occasionally, noise is only present for 2-3 seconds.
-Has happened in cold and hot temperatures, but consistently occurs when engine is cold.
-Power steering fluid is at the maximum level.
-After doing some research it seems to me like it's a power steering issue, I just don't know if I should replace the whole pump, the seals, or just do a ps fluid flush.

Details about the Squeaking Noise: (This was a video I sent to my friend, sorry about the commentary)
-Sounds like.. squeaking. I don't know how else to describe it haha.
-Occasionally comes on after engine starts running on a cold start, goes away after I start driving for around 30 seconds.
-If power steering is the issue that causes the groaning, could this be my power steering pulley?

Any help or advice is appreciated, thanks in advance!
The problem is most likely with your air mix motor (also called air blend motor). You can search this site for numerous threads on how to confirm diagnosis, then change out the motor. You can try greasing the slot on the plastic track - maybe you get lucky and it fixes the noise. I went ahead and replaced mine. Cost about $70 for the new motor, and is a pretty simple DIY job in your driveway (as long as you're a contortionist to work under the dash haha). Make sure any grease or lube you use is compatible with plastic. In hindsight, a magnetic 12mm socket and Phillips screwdriver would have made the job easier.

For a noisy air mix motor, the noise is most prevalent at start-up (when the blend door cycles) or as you rapidly increase or decrease air temp coming out your vents. Hope this helps.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:52 PM
9th Gear

Thank you so much for your responses, I just checked and as you said, the groaning noise behind the steering column occurs when switching from high temps to low temps. To fix it, would you recommend just greasing it, or should I jump straight to replacing the air blend motor?
Old 05-03-2019, 06:17 PM
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Your choice:

A) Try out some grease maybe 5-10$ and 5' of time; I was lucky did not make much noise for a couple of years so far, I found superlube nearby.

B) Buy 70$+ , based on prior message, and replace.

Which would you choose? hint: multiple choices may be required in time

To estimate required time to remove and replace read ( thanks dcmodels) the diy repair thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-...-noise-862172/

Last edited by Altair; 05-03-2019 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:28 PM
2nd Gear

Thank you so much for your responses, I just checked and as you said, the groaning noise behind the steering column occurs when switching from high temps to low temps. To fix it, would you recommend just greasing it, or should I jump straight to replacing the air blend motor?
Try greasing the slot first. Make sure you use a grease that is compatible with plastic. You can't reach the slot very easily with the air mix motor installed, so use a Phillips screwdriver, or Q-tip (with cotton removed), or wooden dowel, etc to help pack and smear the plastic slot full of grease. If you get lucky, the problem is fixed for $5 in less than a few minutes. If not, next step is to change the motor. As Altair stated, pick the simpler solution first and maybe you avoid the extra hassle and expense of changing the motor.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:05 AM
CSmoney28

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
The more I use mine the less noise it makes for some reason...I would just grease it and only replace it if it bothers you too much...