Creaking from dash - seems to be from around floor or behind/below steering column

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 09:45 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Creaking from dash - seems to be from around floor or behind/below steering column

Question - I have a 2012 TL SH-AWD w/ Advanced Package, which is only about 3 or 4 weeks old with about 1200 miles. Within the past two days, I noticed what seems to be a creaking sound that usually appears when turning (slower speeds) or proceeding (relatively lower speeds) over a bump, etc. (Doesn't seem to appear when driving at typical road speeds). Also, the noise seems to become more noticeable (slightly louder, duration, frequency) as the car is driven.

I am thinking that I may have a bad joint or seal (whatever) in the front driver's wheel ....

1. Can a problem/noise like that appear to be coming from within/behind the dashboard or rear floor area (where your feet are located) ?
2. Does that make sense that a ball-joint or other strut/suspension seal could be going 'bad' since the noise only seem to start a few days ago, and seems to be getting (although slowly) slightly worse ?

Any thoughts would be appreciated ....
Old 07-22-2012, 11:07 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
i have a noise like that coming from what seems like inside the dash somewhere, but i believe its actually coming from the engine compartment....the plastic covers that cover the engine creak like crazy, and that noise is making it into the cabin....my plan is to use some silicone spray on all the contact points where the plastic snaps together and see if that works....

also, it seems the noise becomes worse when the car is hot....like sitting in the sun, or after the engine has been running for a while
Old 09-01-2012, 06:13 AM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am having a similar problem on my '12 TL Tech. My first thought is that all the suspension parts are failing! I agree with Vinnier6 about the noises seems to get louder after the car has been out in the sun. I don't notice the problem driving into work in the early morning but after the car has been out in the sun all day it seems to be a god awful noises at low speeds (10-15mph or less) of creaks, moans and groans. Sounds like an old jalopy. I'm going to have it into the dealership in a couple of weeks when its time for an oil change and have them do a once over. Vinnier6, let us know if the silicone spray did the trick.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:40 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check if this is the noise. We should all sign a petition or something.

https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-problems-fixes-297/2012-acura-tl-advanced-elite-steering-noise-video-881249/
Old 05-08-2013, 08:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
I've been hearing creaks in my dash also and found where it's coming from. It's the middle part of the dash where the navi screen is. I was able to duplicate it by pushing it down and pulling it up. This only happens when I drive thru little bumps and the sun is hitting it when it's warm outside. In the mornings I don't hear a peep. Weird. So I started to play around with it by moving around with my hand and the noise decreased a lot. It's barely noticeable now. I've shut off my radio with windows rolled to make sure. No rattles, squeaks or creaks. Hopefully it goes away for good because I don't ever want to bring my car to the dealer and have them rip apart the dash just to find the creaks. Only mechanical and electrical issues would I have them look into it.

Last edited by TeamAcura; 05-08-2013 at 08:58 AM.