QUESTION: how do you replace a battery w/o clearing the radio stations?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 01:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts
QUESTION: how do you replace a battery w/o clearing the radio stations?

Yes, how do you install a NEW battery, without clearing the radio stations, and I wonder what else will get reset? seems like the last time the telephone settings also got reset and the wife was really pissed!

I have seen those 9v plug-ins for the accessory (cigarette lighter) plug on the dash, but on the RDX that jack is not 'live' unless the ignition switch is ON (II position). So that is not going to work, since obviously I am not going to try replacing a car battery with the ignition switch ON.

Or maybe the accessory plug inside the console is always live? did not think to check that one.

I would try wiring the old battery with extension wires to the battery cables during the battery exchange, but there is no way to connect to the positive battery cable, because the wire is covered with a clamp-on black cover.

Anyone have any ideas? and does anyone know exactly what I will need to reset after NEW battery installation? thanks.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:11 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dcmodels
Yes, how do you install a NEW battery, without clearing the radio stations, and I wonder what else will get reset? seems like the last time the telephone settings also got reset and the wife was really pissed!

I have seen those 9v plug-ins for the accessory (cigarette lighter) plug on the dash, but on the RDX that jack is not 'live' unless the ignition switch is ON (II position). So that is not going to work, since obviously I am not going to try replacing a car battery with the ignition switch ON.

Or maybe the accessory plug inside the console is always live? did not think to check that one.

I would try wiring the old battery with extension wires to the battery cables during the battery exchange, but there is no way to connect to the positive battery cable, because the wire is covered with a clamp-on black cover.

Anyone have any ideas? and does anyone know exactly what I will need to reset after NEW battery installation? thanks.

I did my battery last year , I don't remember but I think the presets on the radio stations did not erase. Let me know if I'm correct on that. I put a sears die hard battery in.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:18 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I literally did this on August 30th... it saved everything... but I also didn't have it disconnected very long. So, if you do it like I did, you should have similar results. No 'hurry' but it wasn't off for more than a minute and a half tops.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:49 AM
2008 Acura RDX

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
When I changed my battery, it was disconnected for enough time to remove the old and then install the new one, tighten down everything, no rush at all whatsoever and it didnt affect any of the settings....... :/
Old 09-17-2012, 03:10 PM
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
What if the battery is disconnected for 3-4 days? what is lost? (paired phone?, seat memory? radio presets? MID settings?...?)
Old 09-17-2012, 08:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Las Vegas
What if the battery is disconnected for 3-4 days? what is lost? (paired phone?, seat memory? radio presets? MID settings?...?)
Well, I asked this question in the first place, because as best as I can remember, when I disconnected the battery for about 1 hour, the radio stations and cell-phone settings were lost. But that was 2-years ago, so I am not certain if I remember correctly, since I have another car where the manual specifically says the radio stations are lost (and I know for certain they are lost in my Chevy). As for the RDX cell-phone settings, all I know for certain is that my wife had to go back to the dealer to have them show her how to reset the cell-phone connections (would not let me help - well, I am not the most patient helper). When I have time I am going to ask my dealer about this - what do they do when replacing a RDX car battery?
Old 09-18-2012, 07:47 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just change mine a week ago, i lost the memory setting on the seats and side mirror. But the radio stations are still there.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:43 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by runlex
I lost the memory setting on the seats...
you forgot the hashtag '2008+Problems'
Old 09-18-2012, 09:04 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,926 Likes on 14,464 Posts
I am constantly modding things that require the engine idle relearn.
You DO lose your clock time on the dash.
you DO lose your XM presets
you DO NOT lose radio station presets
you DO NOT lose audio settings
you DO NOT lose your bluetooth pairing settings.

That is a fact.
J.

Engine idle relearn = when you reco battery, let it idle for 5 minutes with no additional accessories or anything on.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:20 AM
2008 Acura RDX

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Said like a true RockStar!
Old 10-01-2012, 10:01 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amazing, I would of never thought of this.