17" Wheels... I'm Dying Here...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 06:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
17" Wheels... I'm Dying Here...

I hate asking for help on this, but I've searched steadily for the past few months and have some up short. I'm looking for a 17" MESH wheel with a silver or machined finish, 30-40mm offset and 7-8.5" wide. I also don't want to pay much over $800 for the wheels. I know this is pretty specific and all of my searching has led me to one wheel... the Kyowa KR628. It's an off-brand cast wheel worthy of a daily beater. It's not quite what I'm looking for because it only come in a 42mm offset in the 17x7 size. Plus I'm not too crazy about it looks.

Then there's the ASA AR1's. I really like them and they're popular with the VW and BMW crowd. Unfortunately, the 4x114.3 lug pattern isn't available in the US.

The RaderWerks P-90's look great. I absolutely love this wheel, but the 4x114 lug pattern is only available in the 16" diameter. I'm almost giving in and getting the 16's because I like it so much. However I don't want to lower my car anymore than it is and 16's just aren't gonna cut it.

There are some other wheels that I like. Spun Wheels has a nice set that someone on here used to have. Again, they're only available in 16's. The Racing Hart C2's or C4's are nice, but are very hard to find and I haven't seen them in 17's. It's always something... Wrong lug pattern or wrong size or wrong finish. Can anyone suggest a wheel that meets my specs?
Old 01-31-2010, 06:47 PM
Stay Low Pro Kinfolk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I tried searching for 5 minutes, and came across these pretty cheap wheels lol. They're about the same specs as the Kyowa's, but have a barely noticable lip and i've never heard of the brand. But i gave it a go lol.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=170437020431
Old 01-31-2010, 07:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

^He was looking for a polished lip though.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, there are other mesh style wheels out there and I didn't make it really clear, but like f22vtec said, I'm looking for a machined lip. I believe the Kyowa's will have a small lip which I'm not to crazy about.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'm thinking about selling my wheels for something with a polished lip too they're hot!
Old 01-31-2010, 07:32 PM
Staggered 1st Gen

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
http://www.rbwheels.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=2397

better than anything suggested in here. IMO you get what you pay for with rims.

if I wanted a second set of rims I'd probably get those, get the lips mirror anodized, then gold plate the rivets. pure sex

Work = win

jdm oldschool discontinued mesh = win

the rear fitment on those is spot-on for flushness

just tossin it out there...
Old 01-31-2010, 07:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Damn flip, those are spot on. If you're going to get them then I'll let them pass. If not, I might pick them up in the next couple weeks. Thanks for the link!

This is exactly what I was looking for. I don't want anyone to do the searching for me, but you know of any off the top of your head and might be close, let me know.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yea those are ballin only thing I would switch those center caps because Ewing is a town near me lol.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:34 PM
Staggered 1st Gen

lawll werd get some work stickers for the center caps...but seriously those are sex. Nah bro I have no need for a second set of rims already have my wisers and the stock chromies...those are all yours. Fortunately for you 4 luggers are a dying breed and most of the dudes that surf that site are monster offset 5 lug nissan'ers....good luck with it would love to see how those look on a cl One thing that I really like about rbwheels lately is that they repair/repolish all the lips on the rims before you buy...nice touch.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:03 PM
CL in lawnmower status

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fliplyricist1

if I wanted a second set of rims I'd probably get those, get the lips mirror anodized, then gold plate the rivets. pure sex

Work = win

i was just about to post the exact same link, lol

if i come across anything on my wheel searches i'll let you know

Last edited by mitch14; 01-31-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:33 PM
Stay Low Pro Kinfolk

Oh. My bad, didn't see that lol. Hmm.... I like going on the Honda Tech forums in Market to look at 4 lug wheel patterns every now and again. They got a forum dedicated to people selling 4 lug wheels and they discuss them.

If your not planning on getting them for a while, you can spend some time on there and wait for someone to sell or look for some that you like. best advice i can give

EDIT:Won't lemme link it for some reason. Pm me, if you want it i guess :S

Last edited by Kyanite; 01-31-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:07 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,478 Likes on 3,071 Posts
Those works flip posted are hawt, meshies are a dime a dozen, the polished lip is the tough spot, but you could get most polished if you find what you want, just a thought
Old 01-31-2010, 10:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

lawll werd get some work stickers for the center caps...but seriously those are sex. Nah bro I have no need for a second set of rims already have my wisers and the stock chromies...those are all yours. Fortunately for you 4 luggers are a dying breed and most of the dudes that surf that site are monster offset 5 lug nissan'ers....good luck with it would love to see how those look on a cl One thing that I really like about rbwheels lately is that they repair/repolish all the lips on the rims before you buy...nice touch.
Awesome, those Work's are killer. I searched used BBS wheels and it seems like 15 and 16" are mostly popular in 4x114. So I assume RB Wheels is a legit seller? That's the first I've heard of them. I'm calling tomorrow just to find out a little more on the condition.

Originally Posted by mitch14
i was just about to post the exact same link, lol

if i come across anything on my wheel searches i'll let you know
I appreciate it. I'm going to keep searching but the Work's look like they're the ones.

Originally Posted by Kyanite
Oh. My bad, didn't see that lol. Hmm.... I like going on the Honda Tech forums in Market to look at 4 lug wheel patterns every now and again. They got a forum dedicated to people selling 4 lug wheels and they discuss them.

If your not planning on getting them for a while, you can spend some time on there and wait for someone to sell or look for some that you like. best advice i can give

EDIT:Won't lemme link it for some reason. Pm me, if you want it i guess :S
Yeah, I've been on there too, but I only deal locally if it's through a private seller. I'm not that comfortable and too many people get burned.

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
Those works flip posted are hawt, meshies are a dime a dozen, the polished lip is the tough spot, but you could get most polished if you find what you want, just a thought
Very true, the tough part is finding the wheel I like. I've always loved BMW/BBS look. It's timeless IMO, that's probably why meshies are so common.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:47 AM
Staggered 1st Gen

rbwheels has been around for ages...many of my boys have gone through them and I know a couple of peeps that live right at their warehouse and have picked up their stuff directly from them. As far as BBS, you're probably referring to the 3 piece rs's...and those were mostly common in 15's and 16's on early model bmw's and have been popular in the vdub scene and now in other areas. They make 17" ones but you stated that your price point is right around 800, and you'd be pressed to find even a beater set of 17" rs's for under a g.

I agree meshies are a dime a dozen but you can definitely tell a cheap ebay mesh design from nicer brand meshies. The cheaper ones tend to have really cheesy looking paint, outwardly concave spokes, fake rivets, dull looking lips, or all of the above.

Those works would look sick..if you could find some dual lug Rezax's that might even be sicker.

check out the zilvia.net fs wheels and tire forums too...occasional 4 lug used hotness in there too...but usually more aggressive fitment
Old 02-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
Wow those works are RIGHT on the money. I love em. I'm personally looking for some aggressive fitment 17's, i'll give Zilvia a look. Blazin, get those Works!

If i could get these in our boltpattern, I'd do whatever it took to procure a set
Old 02-04-2010, 08:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

rbwheels has been around for ages...many of my boys have gone through them and I know a couple of peeps that live right at their warehouse and have picked up their stuff directly from them. As far as BBS, you're probably referring to the 3 piece rs's...and those were mostly common in 15's and 16's on early model bmw's and have been popular in the vdub scene and now in other areas. They make 17" ones but you stated that your price point is right around 800, and you'd be pressed to find even a beater set of 17" rs's for under a g.

I agree meshies are a dime a dozen but you can definitely tell a cheap ebay mesh design from nicer brand meshies. The cheaper ones tend to have really cheesy looking paint, outwardly concave spokes, fake rivets, dull looking lips, or all of the above.

Those works would look sick..if you could find some dual lug Rezax's that might even be sicker.

check out the zilvia.net fs wheels and tire forums too...occasional 4 lug used hotness in there too...but usually more aggressive fitment
Good to hear. I've been insanely busy this week, but tomorrow I'm calling and will likely buy them. You right about the cheap meshies, they're easy to spot. Do these Work's have an offset similar to your wheels? I love your set-up and I know I'll have roll my fenders and lower the car more. The only thing that bothers me is the ride quality. I assume the suspension will need to be stiff, the tires will need a low profile and stretched to compensate for the width and offset? I really don't want this car to ride like a hammered Civic. My commute to work is too much for me to enjoy the staggered/stretched look. What do you think?

DaInFaMMuS1, I've recently been looking on zilvia too. Just found the site after researching the Ewing's. Also, what are those wheels that you posted? They look great and look like something you'd see on a Porsche.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Flip, I'm not sure if I'm representing this correctly, but it looks like I would need about a 16mm spacer since you're using a 30mm? Is the spacer for brake caliper or trailing arm clearance?

Old 02-04-2010, 09:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Blazin Si
Good to hear. I've been insanely busy this week, but tomorrow I'm calling and will likely buy them. You right about the cheap meshies, they're easy to spot. Do these Work's have an offset similar to your wheels? I love your set-up and I know I'll have roll my fenders and lower the car more. The only thing that bothers me is the ride quality. I assume the suspension will need to be stiff, the tires will need a low profile and stretched to compensate for the width and offset? I really don't want this car to ride like a hammered Civic. My commute to work is too much for me to enjoy the staggered/stretched look. What do you think?

DaInFaMMuS1, I've recently been looking on zilvia too. Just found the site after researching the Ewing's. Also, what are those wheels that you posted? They look great and look like something you'd see on a Porsche.
They're CCW Classics, in Matte Black. Absolutely baller lol.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Absolutely baller is correct, CCW Classics
Old 02-05-2010, 12:39 AM
Staggered 1st Gen

I believe you COULD get ccw's in any bolt pattern you want, considering they're completely custom order wheels. meaning you specify your widths and offsets, they build and ship it to you

blazin: oh nah dude, spacers in my case are SOLELY for aggressive fitnment. Nothing more. 8" and 9" with low to mid 30's offset and corrected camber sits just about perfectly for daily driving without having to do major modifications. But yes, the traditional role of a spacer is to give you not only a wider track, but also for people that need to clear big brake kits.

It's the opposite of what you diagrammed though, the offset of the wheel is indeed the amount of distance either plus (away from the hub) or 0 (at the hub) or negative (behind the hub) from the center of the wheel barrell. You have that part correct, however, spacers do not 'technically' make a lower offset, it just raises the width of the rim. You're essentially doing the opposite by pushing the the wheel center away from the hub. I know it gets confusing, but honestly the offsets on your rims are fucking (pardon my french) AWESOME. Trust, its way better to run the perfect width and offset from the wheel itself without having to use a spacer. I wish I had that luxury, but my rims were a 1 off discontinued design and our lug pattern makes it hard to find old school rims that fit the bill EXACTLY.

But in your case running any type of spacer with the Works is just for looks and trying to get a crazier stance. All up to you man...I say put some rubbers on those things, slap em on the car...see how you like how it looks (you might be pleasantly surprised) and then go from there

Last edited by fliplyricist1; 02-05-2010 at 12:44 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Ahh, I see. I assumed since the high dollar wheels have straighter spokes, (rather than the curved/concave look you mention before) the spacer was used to clear something. I'll just take your advice and get them. If it needs different suspension, I'll figure it later. Hell, maybe even get a set of coilovers.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:09 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

You get those wheels, you damn well better get coilovers
Old 02-05-2010, 12:35 PM
CL in lawnmower status

...however, spacers do not 'technically' make a lower offset, it just raises the width of the rim. You're essentially doing the opposite by pushing the the wheel center away from the hub....
spacers more "technically" lower the offset than change the width of the rim, from what i understand. (as you're adding a dimension in one direction, like 15mm spacer pushes the whole wheel outwards 15mm. changing the wheel width would add a dimension in two directions, an inch wider rim adds apporx. 13mm to each side of the wheel without affecting offset)
and flip, do you have any pics of your car with the wiser's non-slammed and no spacers?
i remember seeing a pic or two before, but the pics don't seem to be hosted anymore
this would help out for ppl looking for wheels with no slam, as aggresive wheels on stock height cars can pretty easily look retarded IMO

Last edited by mitch14; 02-05-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
You get those wheels, you damn well better get coilovers
Haha, I bought the wheels today. When they get here next Friday, I'll test fit them and see what's up. I've been considering a set of Koni Yellows for the dampening adjustment and adjustable perch. If it doesn't look right, I'll then get a set of GC sleeves. A harsh, bouncy ride is what I'm trying to avoid.

Originally Posted by mitch14
spacers more "technically" lower the offset than change the width of the rim, from what i understand. (as you're adding a dimension in one direction, like 15mm spacer pushes the whole wheel outwards 15mm. changing the wheel width would add a dimension in two directions, an inch wider rim adds apporx. 13mm to each side of the wheel without affecting offset)
I've been drawing up diagrams in Illustrator to better understand the wheel fitment. The hardest dimension to get correctly is the area between the wheels lip and the fender. I guess I'll just have to wait until the wheels arrive. Does anyone know how large of a spacer you can use before having to "restud". I'm guessing it's about 10mm.

Flip, thanks again for finding the wheels. Can't wait till they get here so I can clean them up and have them refurbished. If you want to give me your address, I'll send you a check for a "finders fee" and all your help.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:32 PM
CL in lawnmower status

for the dimension from the wheel lip to fender, best way is to test fit a set of wheels with a known width and offset, close to what you want to run, and just measure your clearances on either side, and the wanted dimension.
def wait till your wheels come in to decide on spacers, they're already pretty aggresive sizes/offsets, i don't think you'll need to space them
Old 02-05-2010, 11:07 PM
contrarian in fashion

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DaInFaMMuS1
Wow those works are RIGHT on the money. I love em. I'm personally looking for some aggressive fitment 17's, i'll give Zilvia a look. Blazin, get those Works!

If i could get these in our boltpattern, I'd do whatever it took to procure a set
what rims are those
link???
Old 02-06-2010, 12:37 AM
Rockin the D2! Purple Pwr

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Work = win

Dude, i Hate you.... lol, got rid of my wheels... argggg.... Bah..... no more wheel hoaring for me...

Originally Posted by Blazin Si
Haha, I bought the wheels today. When they get here next Friday, I'll test fit them and see what's up. I've been considering a set of Koni Yellows for the dampening adjustment and adjustable perch. If it doesn't look right, I'll then get a set of GC sleeves. A harsh, bouncy ride is what I'm trying to avoid.

I've been drawing up diagrams in Illustrator to better understand the wheel fitment. The hardest dimension to get correctly is the area between the wheels lip and the fender. I guess I'll just have to wait until the wheels arrive. Does anyone know how large of a spacer you can use before having to "restud". I'm guessing it's about 10mm.

Flip, thanks again for finding the wheels. Can't wait till they get here so I can clean them up and have them refurbished. If you want to give me your address, I'll send you a check for a "finders fee" and all your help.
Very Nice, the set of wheels that i had my eyes on for a long time...... please do it right....

Originally Posted by PimpCL23
what rims are those
link???
CCW Classics... cost 500 per rim....

you can get these custom made in our lug pattern......
Old 02-06-2010, 04:10 AM
Staggered 1st Gen

ZOMG YOU BOUGHT THEM?

I LOVE YOU BRO. (no homosapien)

and no, no finders fees. this is a cl forum broski, we're all here to help each other out. I cant wait to see these puppies on there. This is going to be sick.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:50 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Flip is a
Old 02-06-2010, 11:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

ZOMG YOU BOUGHT THEM?

I LOVE YOU BRO. (no homosapien)

and no, no finders fees. this is a cl forum broski, we're all here to help each other out. I cant wait to see these puppies on there. This is going to be sick.
Haha, I still wanted to make the offer since I probably wouldn't have found them on my own. RB said they would refinish the wheels, but I'm waiting till they get here before I decide on it. I really like the gold plated rivets you mentioned. I just don't know if I want the face to stay silver or have it polished.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Staggered 1st Gen

lol black right back atcha sunny

blazin: right on man...that's dope as hell....gold rivets would look nice but...realize a set of new gold rivets would probably run you another 150-200 bucks. In my case, I saved money and diy'd gold replating by disassembling my rims and buying a cheap gold plating machine off egay...dremel polished and stripped each rivet then plated. was a pain in the ass but well worth it and I resold the gold machine for only a slight loss
Old 02-07-2010, 04:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

blazin: right on man...that's dope as hell....gold rivets would look nice but...realize a set of new gold rivets would probably run you another 150-200 bucks. In my case, I saved money and diy'd gold replating by disassembling my rims and buying a cheap gold plating machine off egay...dremel polished and stripped each rivet then plated. was a pain in the ass but well worth it and I resold the gold machine for only a slight loss
Damn dude, I didn't know you used real gold. I was thinking more along the lines of an anodized aluminum coating. I'm actually not even sure if it's possible. It's just something I'll look into this week when the wheel shops are open.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Staggered 1st Gen

oh nah dude just plated like the rest of em lol

trust me, 24k gold plated/anodized rivets cost at least 1.50 to 2.00 each new. it's much cheaper, though takes a lot of time to do them yourselves if you can afford a gold plating machine...then resell
Old 02-08-2010, 01:00 AM

haha.... i want to see these wheels when they are on your car...
Old 02-08-2010, 04:59 AM
contrarian in fashion

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by switchfootvz
CCW Classics... cost 500 per rim....

you can get these custom made in our lug pattern......

hopes and dreams have been crushed. if i were ballin... id get em
Old 02-08-2010, 05:21 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
damn I love CCW Classics. can't wait to see em.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
damn I love CCW Classics. can't wait to see em.
He's not getting Classics, he's getting a set of 17in Work Ewings.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by DaInFaMMuS1
He's not getting Classics, he's getting a set of 17in Work Ewings.
so much more baller... cause they are harder to find then those classics....

BUMP!!!! FLip.... you told them the site... now everybody is buying my wheels...
Old 02-08-2010, 02:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,098 Likes on 832 Posts

BUMP!!!! FLip.... you told them the site... now everybody is buying my wheels...
i was looking at those also awhile back ago but im going for different set.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

They're only your wheels if you already have them

Quick Reply: 17" Wheels... I'm Dying Here...