17" Wheels... I'm Dying Here...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 05:06 PM
CL in lawnmower status

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by switchfootvz
dude, that's hella expensive for the just the face... you can get a whole wheels done for that price....
^you already said that two posts up, we got it, no need to keep repeating yourself
people can get different deals on different things, and from what i can see they look very good after powdercoating anyways
...my buddy works in a metal shop, and said i could get a whole set of wheels powdercoated for 50 bucks or something, does anyone else care about that. no

can't wait to see the test fit pics, they are going to look awesome on the cl
great work Blazin

Last edited by mitch14; 03-11-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:16 PM
Rockin the D2! Purple Pwr

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mitch14
^you already said that two posts up, we got it, no need to keep repeating yourself
people can get different deals on different things, and from what i can see they look very good after powdercoating anyways
...my buddy works in a metal shop, and said i could get a whole set of wheels powdercoated for 50 bucks or something, does anyone else care about that. no

can't wait to see the test fit pics, they are going to look awesome on the cl
great work Blazin
sry, just saying... i feel bad for fellow cL ers... who pay too much on stuff... when they could have had more cash in their pockets..
Old 03-12-2010, 01:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
I probably did overpay on the powder coating. To be honest, I didn't look for a better price. There were some people vouching for this company on the 350Z and STi forums when I searched wheel refinishing. It turned out to be a really nice place. About 12-15 employees and all they do is repair and paint wheels.

I'll try to get the test fit photos as soon as I get the car back.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
cant wait!
Old 03-12-2010, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Blazin Si
I probably did overpay on the powder coating. To be honest, I didn't look for a better price. There were some people vouching for this company on the 350Z and STi forums when I searched wheel refinishing. It turned out to be a really nice place. About 12-15 employees and all they do is repair and paint wheels.

I'll try to get the test fit photos as soon as I get the car back.
hmm, i guess if they are know for their work... i guess u get what u pay for...

i love them, they look amazing
Old 05-28-2010, 07:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Finally settled on tire sizing, so I thought I'd bump this.

I spent a lot of time going back and forth between 205/45's and 205/40's. I ended up buying 6 tires. (4) 205/45's and (2) 205/40's. Rimtuck.com was a huge help for finding the right look I was going for and Discount Tire was kind enough to allow me watch them mount the tires so I could make a decision I'd be happy with.

So here they are. 205/45's in the rear and 205/40's on the front. The rears are only 10mm taller which is subtle, but noticeable when they're side by side. Let me know what you think.

Slight stretch. The options are limited for an 8" wide wheel. The Falken 512's are still available exclusively through Discount Tire, but they only get shipments once a month and they were all out when I placed my order. I ended up going with the 912's instead.

God damn car is still at the shop so who knows when I'll get pictures of them mounted.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I put falken ziex ze-512 on the RonJon Servo wheels I just got. I like them because they protect the rim as much as possible which is a HUGE plus when you have a 16 year old driving the car every now and then
Old 05-28-2010, 08:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

The 512's have a lip protector? I didn't think they did because that was one of the reasons they're so popular for stretching.

These tires have a small lip protector. The ones on my Azenis 615's is much bigger. It definitely helps when parallel parking.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:41 PM
CL in lawnmower status

...God damn car is still at the shop so who knows when I'll get pictures of them mounted.
damn it
i thought this is what the thread was bumped for

either way, wheels look so damn clean, amazing work man
i can't remember, are all 4 wheels 8 inches wide?
that's actually not bad stretch at all, thought it would be worse for 205's, but i guess some different brands for tires are different too
Old 05-28-2010, 09:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks.

The fronts are 7" wide, so no stretch there. It looks almost perfectly square with the 205's. I really wanted the 512's because they run more narrow than the 912's. I've seen photos of them in the 205 width and they appear to be more narrow than the 195 Yokohama S drives.

I talked to shop again today and told them I want the car back next week. I'm tired of waiting. All they have to do is wire up tach which they've been putting off for 3 weeks. After that, it's gets dyno tuned and we're done.

I dropped off my old motor a couple months ago because they needed some of the sensors and pulleys. Someone broke into the damn place and stole my old motor. They didn't even mention it to me until stopped by a couple weeks ago to pick it up. I'm so f***ing done with this place.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,097 Likes on 831 Posts
your rims looks great man. im debating what tires should i get for my rims. Sorry to hear about the bad shop you went to . hopefully you find a better place. Is the shop going to replace or give you something for the motor?
Old 05-28-2010, 09:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Available through select retailers, ZIEX ZE512 offers a directional tread design with five circumferential grooves that improve wet weather handling. Offering a smooth, quiet and composed ride, and featuring low profile styling, this tire is aimed at sport compact and import enthusiasts. An additional benefit is the improved rim protection ridge that helps shield custom wheels. Together, this is an inclusive all-weather performance tire.
that is about the 512's
Old 05-28-2010, 10:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by asianspec
your rims looks great man. im debating what tires should i get for my rims. Sorry to hear about the bad shop you went to . hopefully you find a better place. Is the shop going to replace or give you something for the motor?
Thanks. This is supposed to be a legit place. I went to them a couple years ago when I had some valvetrain noise with my Civic. They checked it out and made a few adjustments free of charge. I don't what their problem is this time. They say they've extremely busy, but they need to stop working on other customers cars and get mine done. It's been there since December 28th.

I don't know what they're doing about the stolen motor. I would think they have insurance for that kind of thing, but I'm not going to bring it up until it's time to pay the bill.

Originally Posted by P0401
that is about the 512's
That's cool. The lip protector is a nice thing to have. When I was at Discount Tire a couple days ago, they had the 512's mounted on one of their display wheels and I'm positive there was no lip protector on it. They must be making a change to the design or there might be 2 different models of the 512's.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:46 AM
CL in lawnmower status

your motor getting stolen is fucked, and mad shady, i'd get that squared away asap, i would not let it wait another day.
who the hell breaks into a shop and steals an accord motor... too much effort/risk for that kind of motor IMO
and really, 3 weeks to wire a tach, why not just take it to a different shop right now, get them to finish it, or try it yourself
how much was your estimate for the whole job before they starting working on it?
Old 05-29-2010, 08:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

I was never given a quote because they didn't know how much work was needed. I asked several times and didn't get an answer. I want to wait until it's done before we negotiate a price.

The shop has 3 main areas. The lobby where they keep most of the motors that they're holding, the garage area and a storage room on the side. My F22 was in the storage room instead of the secured lobby area. That's why it was taken instead of the B, H and K motors. One of the mechanics told me the thieves were taking eveything that was aluminum.

I'm ok with the motor getting stolen as long as I get reembursed. Whether they knock $400 off the bill or find me another motor. It's up to them.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:04 AM
Burning Brakes

I got mine from Discount Tire also and I am glad mine does have the protector because as I said there will be a 16 year old driver some times
Old 05-29-2010, 10:34 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,450 Likes on 3,047 Posts
Nice man, good choice. I have 912's ready to go on my 18's as well. Can't wait to see these on the car
Old 05-29-2010, 11:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,097 Likes on 831 Posts
I was never given a quote because they didn't know how much work was needed. I asked several times and didn't get an answer. I want to wait until it's done before we negotiate a price.

The shop has 3 main areas. The lobby where they keep most of the motors that they're holding, the garage area and a storage room on the side. My F22 was in the storage room instead of the secured lobby area. That's why it was taken instead of the B, H and K motors. One of the mechanics told me the thieves were taking eveything that was aluminum.

I'm ok with the motor getting stolen as long as I get reembursed. Whether they knock $400 off the bill or find me another motor. It's up to them.
i honestly would get legal advice on your motor man. now if they don't do anything about it at least you have a lawyer that knows your case.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:57 PM
CL in lawnmower status

i don't know about negotiating when it's all done, sounds kind of ass backwards to me
what if they want to charge you a shitload, and you want to pay half that? how are you ever going to come to an agreement
then they rip the motor out of your car to cover the costs of their work... just saying, imo something needs to be done soon, maybe lawyer as asianspec said, but then you'll be getting into a higher cost too...hmmmm
either way good luck man, and i can't wait too see it all back and done
Old 05-29-2010, 05:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mitch14
i don't know about negotiating when it's all done, sounds kind of ass backwards to me
what if they want to charge you a shitload, and you want to pay half that? how are you ever going to come to an agreement
then they rip the motor out of your car to cover the costs of their work... just saying, imo something needs to be done soon, maybe lawyer as asianspec said, but then you'll be getting into a higher cost too...hmmmm
either way good luck man, and i can't wait too see it all back and done
This shop wouldn't go that extreme. They've been around for almost 20 years and have a good reputation among all the Honda guys in the area. They always answer the phone and apologize for the wait. They said they've never done an OBD2 H23A before, so some of the time was spent on trial and error. 5 months is too long. I know that, they know that. I'm waiting for the bill to see if it reflects any of this.

If I threw a fit when I found out the motor was stolen, they could just tell me that they're reimbursing me and then turn around and charge another $400 in labor to cover the cost.

It was my fault for not demanding a quote in the first place, but then again, they've never done a job like this so they really had no idea what to expect.

I think if I wait for the bill and stay calm, they won't overcharge. Then I'll bring up the stolen motor and see what they say. If it's not acceptable, then maybe I'll look into legal representation.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:59 PM
Suzuka Master

wheels looks amazing and im sorry to hear about your situation with that shop. i personally hate shops. they're all bullshit artists in my expieriences.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:44 AM

hey

you finally back... you never responded back to my pms...
anyway, you should have gone with nitto gen cause they have this really strong sidewall which is great for cambered cars....
Wheels looks smaller for some reason...

sucks about the motor....
Old 06-01-2010, 07:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
I'd definitely try to negotiate something from the theft of that engine immediately and get some sort of set pricing since they're at the end of the process. I know how u feel about waiting for your car, i've had mine at the shop its at since October. On a positive note, the wheels look great though.

Last edited by DaInFaMMuS1; 06-01-2010 at 07:34 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 732xghost
wheels looks amazing and im sorry to hear about your situation with that shop. i personally hate shops. they're all bullshit artists in my expieriences.
Thanks, this is the first time I've had trouble. It's enough to keep me from going back.

Originally Posted by switchfootvz
hey

you finally back... you never responded back to my pms...
anyway, you should have gone with nitto gen cause they have this really strong sidewall which is great for cambered cars....
Wheels looks smaller for some reason...

sucks about the motor....
I'll have to check my PM's. I don't know what happened.

The only thing that looks smaller to me is the lip. It doesn't appear to be as deep with the tires mounted. I measured the windows in the face and the NSX brakes are going to fill it up perfectly.

Originally Posted by DaInFaMMuS1
I'd definitely try to negotiate something from the theft of that engine immediately and get some sort of set pricing since they're at the end of the process. I know how u feel about waiting for your car, i've had mine at the shop its at since October. On a positive note, the wheels look great though.
I'm going to stop by this weekend. If there's been no progress since I last visited, I'll get the bill sorted out and take the car. Finished or not.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:04 PM

I'll have to check my PM's. I don't know what happened.

The only thing that looks smaller to me is the lip. It doesn't appear to be as deep with the tires mounted. I measured the windows in the face and the NSX brakes are going to fill it up perfectly.

lol, it's cool.... i can't wait to see everything put together.... next time u get a set of tires go with nitto gen...

and are u going to run natural camber?
Old 06-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

I won't know about the camber until I get the coilovers on and test fit the wheels. I'd rather roll and pull the fenders than buy a camber kit so we'll see.

I'll look into the Nitto's next time. I went with the Falken's because they run narrow and 205 is the about the most narrow size you can buy in 17's. The S Drives have a 195 but it's actually wider than the 205 Falken 512's.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Look what showed up today.

Time to refinish these. I'm thinking glossy black with white letters.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Damn thas whassup! Do u have to have a custom mounting bracket to put them on?
Old 06-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Fortunately, you don't need a custom bracket for the 91-96 NSX calipers. It's just a 25T that came on the 3.0CL, Accord Wagon etc..

Originally I had purchased '97+ calipers since they're larger, but those do require the bracket from the Euro Accord Type R or whatever the Euro TSX equivalent is. It's not a straight swap either. I believe you need to modify the bracket to center the caliper over the rotor. You also need to get ATR rotors which require redrilling and the hassle of locating UKDM rotors every time they need changed.

The extra 1" in size didn't sound worth it to me. The '97+ calipers are a lot easier to find since they require modification.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:08 AM
Suzuka Master

man this build keeps getting better and better. awesome work.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^amen
Old 06-04-2010, 10:11 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Yep, all you need is a bracket for a 3.0 and you're golden, blazin take pics or do a diy, I will be doing this soon with my legend calipers
Old 06-04-2010, 10:33 AM
Suzuka Master

hey blazin what are the specs. on the wheels? i went back a few pages and i dont think you mentioned it. i know they're 17"s but whats the offset and width?
Old 06-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
Yep, all you need is a bracket for a 3.0 and you're golden, blazin take pics or do a diy, I will be doing this soon with my legend calipers
Will do. Are you doing or have already done a rotor over hub conversion? I wasn't sure if you needed to do the conversion before the brake swap.

hey blazin what are the specs. on the wheels? i went back a few pages and i dont think you mentioned it. i know they're 17"s but whats the offset and width?
17x7 +30 front
17x8 +21 rear
Old 06-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Will do. Are you doing or have already done a rotor over hub conversion? I wasn't sure if you needed to do the conversion before the brake swap.
I will be doing it, but it's not neccessary for the caliper swap, just affects the rotors. I have all the parts minus new rotors to do the ROH conversion, just haven't had time or money for new rotors yet. Plus my pads and rotors on the car are still brand new since I hardly drive the car, but I'm really itchin to swap the calipers on, looks like all I need is a flared 10 mm wrench for the brake line?
Old 06-04-2010, 01:47 PM
Senior Moderator

lol and to think, this was supposed to be your daily driver hahaha

Last edited by DaInFaMMuS1; 06-04-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:49 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^ i know right. true enthuiast right there.

just do the ROH conversion regardless. me and my friend did mine and it'll make life so much easier esepcially if you plan on keeping the car for a while, or more points if you decide to sell the car.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
I will be doing it, but it's not neccessary for the caliper swap, just affects the rotors. I have all the parts minus new rotors to do the ROH conversion, just haven't had time or money for new rotors yet. Plus my pads and rotors on the car are still brand new since I hardly drive the car, but I'm really itchin to swap the calipers on, looks like all I need is a flared 10 mm wrench for the brake line?
Flared wrench sounds right. I don't know what size is it though.

Originally Posted by DaInFaMMuS1
lol and to think, this was supposed to be your daily driver hahaha
Still a daily driver. It will always stay that way. Although I am going to track it this year at either CMP or VIR.

just do the ROH conversion regardless. me and my friend did mine and it'll make life so much easier esepcially if you plan on keeping the car for a while, or more points if you decide to sell the car.
I'm still on the fence with this one. I've driven the car 75k miles since I bought it in '05 and changed the pads and rotors once. It was a huge PITA, but I hit everything with anti-seize so hopefully a couple smacks with a slide hammer, and next time it will come right off.

Here's what I was working on yesterday. Sanded, polished and ZoopSeal'd the letters and hit it with a couple coats of high temp, glossy black paint.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:54 AM
Suzuka Master

looks great.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:49 AM
Senior Moderator

I was just saying that usually a build like this would be reserved for a project car, mine will be fairly daily driven also if i ever get the damn thing back

Quick Reply: 17" Wheels... I'm Dying Here...