What did you do to your CL today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 01:49 AM
2600lb CL

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts
Engine sounds better, but it seems like a tick came back from the front, faintly, but I hear it. Went ahead and changed the brake fluid to a higher temp fluid. Tomorrow I'll tune the suspension on the track depending on what I feel.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:49 AM
2600lb CL

Update from the track session. It was a exhilarating! The car handled superb and I had a huge smile on my face throughout the session. The car reacted as I wanted it to with the tail coming out during cornering and neutralized itself with just the touch of the gas (or slight correction of the steering wheel, different variations with mix scenarios). The short sweeper was by far my favorite. Taking that turn at 90ish the car literally would slide out with a slight loss of grip in the tires but in a controllable manner (I <3 lsd). Something about sliding around in that thing just made me very happy. We had a great time and as usual a few kinks to work out.

1. Radiator cap turned out to be faulty. I noticed my car wouldn't go past 6k for 2 laps before I decided to look down at my water temp gauge only to find it past scorching Hot! By the time I realized what was going on, the pit was barely just passed. I continued for another lap before I made it off the track. After replacing it, I went for another go at it. Luckily the car was fine and no loss of power seemed to have been noticeable.

2. Now that I was back on it, I was really having a great time chasing my friend in his girlfriends evo (he led to show me the track once again, not at 100%). Then the unthinkable happens. I'm cornering roughly end of 3rd gear when I hear something give in the car. My damn quick release hub seemed to have skipped gears which caused the steering wheel to face right roughly 90 degrees while going in a straight line. So I pulled off into the dirt to be towed off into safety. At the time I had such an adrenaline rush I was not aware it was the hub itself. Checked everything underneath the car before figuring out it was the steering hub.

3. Towards the end of the day, the alternator seemed to have crapped out on me.

All in all it was a lot of fun and tiring as well. Drove the car 3 hours out there, ran for 4 hours, then drove back 3 hours. Going to work out a few bugs this week and then head back next weekend for some more tuning. Never bothered tuning the suspension as we never got to go 100%. As much fun as the sliding around was, I'm sure we'll have to decrease that in order to hit higher cornering speeds. (then again I'm on street tires, so it might be too early to tell. That's what tuning is all about though!)

I'll run a leak down compression test either tomorrow or monday just in case.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,097 Likes on 831 Posts
I know Ann's Evo is modded but how much modded?
Old 10-13-2012, 01:46 PM
i like acura

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Cocoa
Update from the track session. It was a exhilarating! The car handled superb and I had a huge smile on my face throughout the session. The car reacted as I wanted it to with the tail coming out during cornering and neutralized itself with just the touch of the gas (or slight correction of the steering wheel, different variations with mix scenarios). The short sweeper was by far my favorite. Taking that turn at 90ish the car literally would slide out with a slight loss of grip in the tires but in a controllable manner (I <3 lsd). Something about sliding around in that thing just made me very happy. We had a great time and as usual a few kinks to work out.

1. Radiator cap turned out to be faulty. I noticed my car wouldn't go past 6k for 2 laps before I decided to look down at my water temp gauge only to find it past scorching Hot! By the time I realized what was going on, the pit was barely just passed. I continued for another lap before I made it off the track. After replacing it, I went for another go at it. Luckily the car was fine and no loss of power seemed to have been noticeable.

2. Now that I was back on it, I was really having a great time chasing my friend in his girlfriends evo (he led to show me the track once again, not at 100%). Then the unthinkable happens. I'm cornering roughly end of 3rd gear when I hear something give in the car. My damn quick release hub seemed to have skipped gears which caused the steering wheel to face right roughly 90 degrees while going in a straight line. So I pulled off into the dirt to be towed off into safety. At the time I had such an adrenaline rush I was not aware it was the hub itself. Checked everything underneath the car before figuring out it was the steering hub.

All in all it was a lot of fun and tiring as well. Drove the car 3 hours out there, ran for 4 hours, then drove back 3 hours. Going to work out a few bugs this week and then head back next weekend for some more tuning. Never bothered tuning the suspension as we never got to go 100%. As much fun as the sliding around was, I'm sure we'll have to decrease that in order to hit higher cornering speeds. (then again I'm on street tires, so it might be too early to tell. That's what tuning is all about though!)

i just enjoyed reading this so much. believe it or not, after a couple hours of mashing around and sliding around in my cressida this morning... this makes me want to actually drive some serious FWD power.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:55 AM
One custom CL

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Lucky dog.
Work out these small set backs and youll be back on that track
Did you throw your breaks on yet. If so pics please.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:17 PM
2600lb CL

Originally Posted by SupraManAG
Lucky dog.
Work out these small set backs and youll be back on that track
Did you throw your breaks on yet. If so pics please.
Still waiting on the brakes
Old 10-14-2012, 02:14 PM
2600lb CL

Ordering a new steering wheel hub (no aluminum quick release this time) and a koyo radiator monday morning. Hopefully the heads aren't warped, but there was definitely coolant where it did not belong underneath my intake runners. I can only hope it was from the coolant spraying everywhere even though it was a puddle that was found. After another session we'll see what signs it shows before I take her apart if need be.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:34 PM
Determined Noob

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ordering a new steering wheel hub (no aluminum quick release this time) and a koyo radiator monday morning. Hopefully the heads aren't warped, but there was definitely coolant where it did not belong underneath my intake runners. I can only hope it was from the coolant spraying everywhere even though it was a puddle that was found. After another session we'll see what signs it shows before I take her apart if need be.
Best of luck! Your car is badass, my big dream is a v6 m/t swap.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:30 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,419 Likes on 3,028 Posts

Loved reading all this and envisioning you flying around the track in the cocoa car. Can't wait for more updates, do you mind sharing what koyo rad you're going with?
Old 10-20-2012, 08:13 PM
One custom CL

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Washed her in and out. Took out all the parts and planning on what I'm starting with first. Going to be a long winter.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
Loved reading all this and envisioning you flying around the track in the cocoa car. Can't wait for more updates, do you mind sharing what koyo rad you're going with?
, wish you had some video of the beast at work!
Old 10-21-2012, 07:57 PM
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts
installed a new slave cylinder...the old one literally fell apart when the mounting bolts came free
Old 10-21-2012, 11:38 PM
Racer

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts
Collected some stickers to represent some shops, groups/meets, and my friends automotive photography business in NC, and bought a red replacement rear bumper for when Im ready to wrap the car.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:15 PM
2600lb CL

Installed a new alternator, idle air control valve, and an oil catch can. Still waiting on my brakes, thermal wrap, steering wheel hub, and rear diffuser. The extended studs, poly bushings for the suspension, camber kit, and gauges are pending to be installed. I'm simply waiting on the brakes before I start on the suspension components as I rather do it in one swing as opposed to doing the same thing twice. The gauges however I'll throw on this week along with the diffuser.

Ran the CL again at Buttonwillow yesterday. I spun out during one of the sessions which caused some sort of odd thing to happen to my wiring of the vtec and cps sensors. It pulled on the plugs enough to yank the pins out of the plug which threw a lot of codes and put it in limp mode, which occurred about 2 laps later. I managed to fix the vtec sensor but bot the crank angle sensor.

As I entered the track again I noticed a car had just spun out about 2 turns ahead of me. As I took that turn I glanced at the car asking myself, "I wonder how he did that on this turn". Needless to say i was having to correct myself as I nearly spun out as well lmao. My response to that during the commotion was, "That's how that's how!" (This was about 2 laps after I had spun out). It was on this lap that the codes came about and I just did not have the appropriate tools to fix all the sensors.

As much as I want to record these moments, I really want to fix the small things that will continue to occur first. Once I feel the car will become more reliable during these conditions, then I'll start recording. But at the moment I can't get more than 3 laps in before having to come off to deal with a minor issue.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:48 PM
Racer

Extended lugs came in today
Old 10-24-2012, 09:05 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Bought a new muffler
Old 10-24-2012, 01:00 PM
Racer

Wheels came in today!!!!!

Old 10-24-2012, 03:00 PM
2600lb CL

Bought a new muffler
What muffler did you go with?
Old 10-24-2012, 03:00 PM
2600lb CL

Originally Posted by 97CL_NC1102
Wheels came in today!!!!!

Can't wait to see the contrast between the white and purple
Old 10-24-2012, 04:06 PM
Racer

here is the test fit without the tire

Old 10-24-2012, 07:55 PM
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
I think it was unanimous that we all imagined this in our heads, lovely description, very visual. Something most all of us will never experience, at least in our CL's.

My update;
My ABS accumulator went, have not located a donor yet, I cant afford a new one. Unless I can somehow pass inspection with no ABS. I need to ask an actual tech. NYS is tough. Also need a valve adjustment bad, lots of rattle, not harsh but doesn't sound like a Honda currently. Just passed 154k mi, think it's definitely due, never been done before.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:58 PM
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Bought a new muffler
I'm still on my original somehow. It just sheds a layer once and a while, I hit it with black ceramic paint.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:36 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

What muffler did you go with?
http://thmotorsports.com/vibrant/vib...h/g-54718.aspx
Old 10-25-2012, 05:22 PM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Thought I just saw one of those for sale in the black market here?
Old 10-25-2012, 08:19 PM
2.2CL owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Catfisha
I gave my car a bath and waxed it! Synthetic wax doesn't smell as delicious as carnauba though....I wish there was a miracle wax that would get rid of "clear coat failure" Every time I wash my car, it seems as though it's getting worse and more spots are sprouting up!!
Especially on a black car. You can see alot of defects in the paint, but when you wax a black car, its totally worth it.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:20 PM
2.2CL owner

here is the test fit without the tire

That's a hella-tight color scheme.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:22 PM
2.2CL owner

Extended lugs came in today
what is the purpose of the extended lugs?
Old 10-25-2012, 10:11 PM
Racer

theyre for extended studs or spacers but i have neither i just like the way it looks on the wheel
Old 10-25-2012, 10:14 PM
Racer

also with wheels ive had in the past, the nuts i had that sit flush inside the holes the paint on my wheels would sometimes get damaged, so this makes it a little more easier to take off without scratching or scuffing the wheel
Old 10-26-2012, 09:58 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by timeizmoney22
Thought I just saw one of those for sale in the black market here?

Originally Posted by cl-baller201
Especially on a black car. You can see alot of defects in the paint, but when you wax a black car, its totally worth it.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:45 PM
Racer

Wheels got installed today and look pretty good...next up are some coilovers and a front bumper, because lets face it...kids play hide and seek in my wheel gap

Old 10-27-2012, 06:31 AM
2600lb CL

^ Looking good NC11!
Old 10-27-2012, 09:10 PM
Racer

^ Looking good NC11!
Thanks bro...hoping to get the coils soon. Trying to get them from a friend who apparently has 2 sets of F&F from his accord
Old 10-29-2012, 07:52 AM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Thanks bro...hoping to get the coils soon. Trying to get them from a friend who apparently has 2 sets of F&F from his accord
I'll take the second pair lol!
Old 10-29-2012, 08:57 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Took the CL for a nice long drive on Friday night on some back roads. Felt good to drive her again, she sat for almost 2 months since she's out of inspection. Can't wait to get her inspected soon and put the new muffler on her
Old 11-01-2012, 03:56 AM
Instructor

plastidipped my wheels. looks bad ass.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by hobo2424
Pics or ban lol.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by hobo2424
what kind of wheels do you have, because if its the bbs lm style and you only did 2-3 coats its a pain in the ass to get it off. Its VERY time consuming uinless you have a powerwasher or sandblaster.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:44 PM
i like acura

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
i did the unthinkable... haha my front left fender seems to have split right in the middle of the fender. pic in a minute
Old 11-01-2012, 11:53 PM
Instructor

what kind of wheels do you have, because if its the bbs lm style and you only did 2-3 coats its a pain in the ass to get it off. Its VERY time consuming uinless you have a powerwasher or sandblaster.
i did the OEM stock wheels.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your CL today?