Fuse keeps blowing

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 05:17 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuse keeps blowing

2003 MDX

The fuse for the radio, the data screen and both power outlets keeps blowing (it's all the same fuse, the 15A "Front Accessory Socket" fuse). I notice that it seems to happen when the vehicle is accelerating. I have replaced the fuse at least 5 times but it only lasts ~30 - 45 seconds.

I recently replaced the cabin air filter and am wondering if I somehow might have caused a short when I was reinstalling that stupid metal bar behind the glove box.

Can anyone offer some advice before I head to the dealership?

Last edited by mikebarbree1975; 02-16-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by mikebarbree1975
2003 MDX

The fuse for the radio, the data screen and both power outlets keeps blowing (it's all the same fuse, the 15A "Front Accessory Socket" fuse). I notice that it seems to happen when the vehicle is accelerating. I have replaced the fuse at least 5 times but it only lasts ~30 - 45 seconds.

I recently replaced the cabin air filter and am wondering if I somehow might have caused a short when I was reinstalling that stupid metal bar behind the glove box.

Without seeing behind your glove box, it seems you have an exposed or bent wire from your radio, data screen, or power outlets...which may have happened when you replaced your cabin air filter (assuming that's when the blown fuse occurred).

Remove the glove box and see if you have any wires touching metal or a bent wire that stopped the circuit. If you do not see anything immediately, unplug each device one by one and try to pinpoint which of the circuits (radio, data screen, or power outlets) is causing the problem. In my experience, it's usually something trivial that's causing the headaches.

Good luck and let us know how it goes...
Old 02-23-2009, 08:44 AM
10th Gear

Well thanks for the info. I looked around behind the dash and didn't see any exposed or otherwise abnormal wires. I did see one that was bent kind of weird so I straightened it and wrapped the bend in electrical tape.

I thought I had fixed it as the new fuse held for a couple of hours but it blew again. I took the car the Pep Boys and they ran a diagnostic; they seem to think that my radio is what is causing the short and recommended having it replaced.

I called Acura.... They want $1,000 plus labor for a new freakin radio....

I think i'm gonna be sick.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:03 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Well thanks for the info. I looked around behind the dash and didn't see any exposed or otherwise abnormal wires. I did see one that was bent kind of weird so I straightened it and wrapped the bend in electrical tape.

I thought I had fixed it as the new fuse held for a couple of hours but it blew again. I took the car the Pep Boys and they ran a diagnostic; they seem to think that my radio is what is causing the short and recommended having it replaced.

I called Acura.... They want $1,000 plus labor for a new freakin radio....

I think i'm gonna be sick.
What trim MDX do you have?
Old 02-23-2009, 09:29 AM
10th Gear

By 'trim' are you referring to the stuff around the radio? If so, it is the 'wood' trim.

Do you think that these radios able to be repaired? You think I can remove it and take it to some sort of electronics repair shop and have them look at it and fix whatever is causing the short?
Old 02-23-2009, 09:40 AM
Moderator Alumnus

I'm still not convinced that the radio is causing the short. Maybe get a 2nd opinion? Im not sure if the guys at Pep Boys know what they are talking about. By trim i meant options, touring, navi, res, etc..
Old 02-23-2009, 10:28 AM
10th Gear

Ok, sorry.

No Navi, no RES, and i'm pretty sure I have the touring package, but I don't know for sure. I tried to search the forums to find out what differentiates a touring from a non-touring but I keep getting an error message. So please forgive my ignorance.

I have a roof rack and running boards if that helps (lol!).
Old 02-23-2009, 10:32 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Hm, you can get the radio for around $300. I would see if you can get a 2nd opinion on that first.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:50 AM
10th Gear

Any suggestions as to where I should go to get another opinion? The dealer want's to charge me $250 for a diagnostic.

Thanks for all the help btw.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:56 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Did this start happening right after you replaced the cabin filter, or was this issue there before?
Old 02-23-2009, 01:02 PM
10th Gear

You know, I can't honestly say one way or the other with 100% certainty. However, I am almost certain that this started happening right before I changed the filter.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts
Mike, Pep Boys has no clue what they're doing. Years ago a friend of mine got a technician job there after taking one class in junior college (no joke). Stay clear.

I'd find a local mechanic and see what he would charge. You can try http://www.mechanicadvisor.com/ or Mechanics Files. Talk to them on the phone and see if they have the diagnostic equipment for electrical shortages.

If you're more comfortable with the dealer, I'd take the car in for an oil change (or whatever service you have coming up) to a different dealer that quoted you $250. Tell them "oh by the way..." that your fuse continues to blow and you're wasting money on fuses. If they tell you it's going to be a $250 diagnostics, I'd tell them you were hoping it would be less...usually they work with you on the price. Having other service done often helps on a diagnostic charge because the car is already in their service bay.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:27 PM
Instructor

Check to make sure there is nothing stuck in any of the power outlets / cigar plugs. If you have anything plugged into them, unplug it and see if that fixes it. Anything conductive sitting in there will cause a short. (Think paperclip, hair pin, penny, etc)
Old 02-23-2009, 04:01 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by intensity2x
Check to make sure there is nothing stuck in any of the power outlets / cigar plugs. If you have anything plugged into them, unplug it and see if that fixes it. Anything conductive sitting in there will cause a short. (Think paperclip, hair pin, penny, etc)
I did. Didn't find anything. As far as taking it back to the dealer, that's not a bad idea I suppose. I just want to spend as little $$$$ as possible. So what was going to do is replace the fuse and have my wife drive for a few days with the radio turned off and see if the fuse continues to blow. Or I suppose I could pull the radio out and unplug it and then have her drive around. Thoughts?

I looked around and from what I was able to find, replacing the radio doesn't appear to be all that difficult. My only concerns are:

1) getting the correct radio if I were to order one online.
2) when I remove the radio from the console, it looks like the console screen (I don't have RES or NAVI) and the radio come out as one single unit. Will I be able to separate the radio from this single unit and then will I be able to attach the new radio without any problems?
3) I am worried that I will break the clips holding the plood (sp?) to the dash.

With those things in mind, might you have any further advice if I were to try to replace this myself?

Thanks for all your help btw.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket alarm?
We have seen a few MDX's in here with the same sympton and the results have consistantly been a clipped wire during aftermarket alarm install.
Could be our local alarm hack in town.

Good luck & let me know if you need and wiring diag's
2003 MDX

Old 02-24-2009, 08:53 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by AcuraPartsGuy
Do you have an aftermarket alarm?
We have seen a few MDX's in here with the same sympton and the results have consistantly been a clipped wire during aftermarket alarm install.
Could be our local alarm hack in town.

Good luck & let me know if you need and wiring diag's

Nope, no alarm. I'm running some trial and error for the next few days to see if it really is the radio. Fifty-five isn't convinced so i'm gonna hold off on replacing the radio until i'm absolutely sure.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Nope, no alarm. I'm running some trial and error for the next few days to see if it really is the radio. Fifty-five isn't convinced so i'm gonna hold off on replacing the radio until i'm absolutely sure.
I agree w/ Fifty-five...we don't have too many issues with them...occasionally, but usually its an internal error; not fuse popping.

Let me know if I can help.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:09 PM
10th Gear

I agree w/ Fifty-five...we don't have too many issues with them...occasionally, but usually its an internal error; not fuse popping.

Let me know if I can help.
You think it would be the radio itself or would it more likely be the wires leading to/from the radio? How can I test this? Any ideas?
Old 02-24-2009, 06:02 PM
Former Sponsor

You think it would be the radio itself or would it more likely be the wires leading to/from the radio? How can I test this? Any ideas?
I am going to put you intouch w/ one of our master techs. He call help you diag it, i'm sure

I will post tomorrow w/ his contact info.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:29 AM
10th Gear

I am going to put you intouch w/ one of our master techs. He call help you diag it, i'm sure

I will post tomorrow w/ his contact info.
Wow. That would be great. Thanks!
Old 02-25-2009, 12:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Lightbulb

Wow. That would be great. Thanks!
Said tech is out sick today..however, I had a middle of the night thought on this:

Unplug the radio from the harness and check if the fuse blows. If it does, it is not the radio and you can start tracing out that wiring harness.
If it doesn't blow, its then an internal fault in the radio.

Make sense?
Old 02-26-2009, 08:29 AM
10th Gear

Ok. My wife has been driving around with the radio turned off for two days now and the fuse is still solid.

Does this confirm that it is the radio or could it still be a wiring thing? Should I unplug the radio to test it further?
Old 02-26-2009, 01:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Ok. My wife has been driving around with the radio turned off for two days now and the fuse is still solid.

Does this confirm that it is the radio or could it still be a wiring thing? Should I unplug the radio to test it further?
Poor gal, she's gotta sing to herself....

I would say yes, but it wouldn't hurt to unplug it as well.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:00 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by WholesalePartsGuy
Poor gal, she's gotta sing to herself....

I would say yes, but it wouldn't hurt to unplug it as well.

I have a 04, having the same problem. I took out the entire Nav/Radio unit and turn the key, it still pop. I reach behind the console and jiggle all the cables(at least the one i can reach), and put the 15amp fuse back in the panel. It works for a while, then the fuse pop again...................
Old 06-18-2010, 05:36 PM
2nd Gear

Ok, I just sent the car to PikesPeakAcura at Colorado Springs, they were able to identify the problem! I was surprised they were able to find the short quick. Someone inserted coin into the DVD player, thus caused a direct short. They told me they have to take out the DVD player , disassemble the unit take out the coin, reassemble it and put it back. Total cost is $265. (initial diagnostic cost is $120+145 for the dvd player work). Argh ...... still waiting for them to call me to pick up the car.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:42 PM
1st Gear

You have change in the front dvd player in the console shorting out the circuit.

You have coins getting in the dvd player causing the short. Have fixed three now. Remove dvd player. Open, empty coins out and your good.