Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 11:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by mcflyguy24
My Linpack score is 4 somethin.... I even DL'd advanced task killer just to kill all my background stuff from running during the benchmark...weak.
I get around 4 MFLOPs with Froyo on my phone as well. But its also overclocked a lot and I'm using JIT. The Aria should be capable of getting around 20-30+ with Froyo and JIT and some overclocking.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
As soon as a full froyo build is ready I WILL be rooting this phone. Oh I tried ADW launcher the other day, love it. I keep switching back and forth between it and Sense. I kinda like both for different reasons, but ADW is so much more customizable. Pretty glad I took the android plunge.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Safety Car

As soon as a full froyo build is ready I WILL be rooting this phone. Oh I tried ADW launcher the other day, love it. I keep switching back and forth between it and Sense. I kinda like both for different reasons, but ADW is so much more customizable. Pretty glad I took the android plunge.
Take a look at LauncherPro as well. The app launcher is a lot smoother than ADW in my opinion and it has the cool 3D effect found in the nexus app launcher.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.fede.launcher

It has some features ADW doesn't have and vice versa.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:15 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
This was the Sprint Tech / Rep's answer from sprintusers.com... he has always told me the best info, even if I didnt like it... LOL

"Great news for those who have the SERO plans on Sprint and have been hesitant to switch to the ERP or anytime 450 plans and up, Sprint will now allow smartphones to be put on the SERO plans starting on Oct 1st, I just confirmed the information with a employee account representative on the phone. The gimmick or what now is that if you have a $30 SERO plan, you will be charged $10 for the premium data or 4G, plus a $10 charge for Sprint TV ect. so a total of $50, which is $20 or $30 less than what you would pay by switching to the newer plans, so it is pretty fair, and a pretty good day for those who waited and kept the SERO plan. I just switched off my SERO almost a month ago, I still have 30 days to return my phone, But the rep said there is a note on my account that they will switch me back to the SERO plan on Oct 1st. If you are within your 30 days, and had a SERO plan, i would call and make sure you are able to get back on it to save some money, sorry if this post was in the wrong place, but i know there are several SERO plan holders who would like to know about this. "

Not true. The sero plans are dead and the only way to activate an Android phone, Blackberry or Pre or Instinct on a sero plan is if it is the new sero plans. Which are now called the everything plus referral plans. So no you will never be able to put (everything phones) on old sero plans.

So, I guess yo just have to get a "new" style sero plan... and let the old one go... good for a couple phones or so... which is cool.. depends on your needs...

Last edited by DarkSithCL; 07-21-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:41 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
This was the Sprint Tech / Rep's answer from sprintusers.com... he has always told me the best info, even if I didnt like it... LOL

"Great news for those who have the SERO plans on Sprint and have been hesitant to switch to the ERP or anytime 450 plans and up, Sprint will now allow smartphones to be put on the SERO plans starting on Oct 1st, I just confirmed the information with a employee account representative on the phone. The gimmick or what now is that if you have a $30 SERO plan, you will be charged $10 for the premium data or 4G, plus a $10 charge for Sprint TV ect. so a total of $50, which is $20 or $30 less than what you would pay by switching to the newer plans, so it is pretty fair, and a pretty good day for those who waited and kept the SERO plan. I just switched off my SERO almost a month ago, I still have 30 days to return my phone, But the rep said there is a note on my account that they will switch me back to the SERO plan on Oct 1st. If you are within your 30 days, and had a SERO plan, i would call and make sure you are able to get back on it to save some money, sorry if this post was in the wrong place, but i know there are several SERO plan holders who would like to know about this. "

Not true. The sero plans are dead and the only way to activate an Android phone, Blackberry or Pre or Instinct on a sero plan is if it is the new sero plans. Which are now called the everything plus referral plans. So no you will never be able to put (everything phones) on old sero plans.

So, I guess yo just have to get a "new" style sero plan... and let the old one go... good for a couple phones or so... which is cool.. depends on your needs...
That was my understanding from the local sprint district rep here that got me the sero plan to begin with. He said the only phones capable of staying on the old sero plans will be windows mobile phones. All newer phones all have to upgrade to the referral plus plans. I really had no choice if i wanted to get the evo.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:43 PM
1st TL-S on air in

also here is a cool app for syncing media to any device and if the media wont work it will automatically convert it to correct file format for your device. Doubletwist http://www.doubletwist.com/dt/Home/Index.dt
Old 07-21-2010, 09:53 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,118 Likes on 6,107 Posts
I thought this was pretty cool and I like his live background! You can use voice recognition to do calculations.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-Bq6wp7Sgak&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_U S&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-Bq6wp7Sgak&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_U S&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 07-21-2010, 10:46 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
I thought this was pretty cool and I like his live background! You can use voice recognition to do calculations.

Pretty cool. Didn't think about trying that out. Then again, I don't really deal with math too much these days. That wallpaper is called Starfield. If you double tap it goes into warp speed.

I wish my phone started supporting live wallpapers again. There's a bunch of cool live wallpapers in the market like the Seeds of Life, Mario, and the Duckhunt one.

Walt Mossberg just reviewed the Samsung Vibrant.

Galaxy Phones From Samsung are Worthy iPhone Rivals :
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj

Surprised he didn't trash it.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
Pretty cool. Didn't think about trying that out. Then again, I don't really deal with math too much these days. That wallpaper is called Starfield. If you double tap it goes into warp speed.

I wish my phone started supporting live wallpapers again. There's a bunch of cool live wallpapers in the market like the Seeds of Life, Mario, and the Duckhunt one.

Walt Mossberg just reviewed the Samsung Vibrant.

Galaxy Phones From Samsung are Worthy iPhone Rivals :
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj

Surprised he didn't trash it.
Meh. Some of his facts were wrong though. You could tell he is still an iPhone fanboy.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:12 AM
Custom User Title

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
How do you eris owners feel about the new update, with the ability to view all the home screens at once?

What are the other upgrades?

I must say, I'm not a fan of receiving a notification that a text was sent successfully. I mean, I'm glad to know, but... is there a way to shut of the ringer for this event?
Old 07-22-2010, 12:33 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Gnate
How do you eris owners feel about the new update, with the ability to view all the home screens at once?

What are the other upgrades?

I must say, I'm not a fan of receiving a notification that a text was sent successfully. I mean, I'm glad to know, but... is there a way to shut of the ringer for this event?
You can see some changelogs here:

http://www.droid-life.com/2010/07/12...ate-july-16th/

Usually, to turn off the sent notifications it works like this.

Open up Messages --> Press the Menu Button --> Settings --> Uncheck the Sent Notification Box
Old 07-22-2010, 02:57 PM
Safety Car

Looks like the dev support for the Samsung Galaxy S is starting to pick up:

http://bit.ly/cmprogress

Eugene and Barak who swore off Samsung after the Behold II debacle are both thinking about picking up a Vibrant. They were the main custom ROM devs for the Behold II before trading their phones in.

http://twitter.com/Eugene_373/status/19279087201

http://twitter.com/barakinflorida/status/19275095165

A lot of devs are planning to get the Samsung in replacement of the Nexus One as it is officially not being sold by Google anymore online since yesterday unless you dev for the phone. Time to get excited about getting this phone! I hope by the time I get this phone in the next few weeks they can get CyanogenMod on it.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:19 PM
Custom User Title

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
You can see some changelogs here:

http://www.droid-life.com/2010/07/12...ate-july-16th/

Usually, to turn off the sent notifications it works like this.

Open up Messages --> Press the Menu Button --> Settings --> Uncheck the Sent Notification Box
Thanks man. I looked at the settings like you suggested, and my sent notifications were already shut off.. so I wonder if I click and unclick if it will make a difference/
Old 07-22-2010, 09:32 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Gnate
Thanks man. I looked at the settings like you suggested, and my sent notifications were already shut off.. so I wonder if I click and unclick if it will make a difference/
Apparently you do have to check/uncheck it and restart. Not sure why that's the case.

http://forums.androidandme.com/topic...-on-droid-eris

Someone else suggested resetting the device as well:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...fications.html

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 07-22-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:07 AM
Safety Car

Check out this website for some Live Wallpaper suggestions:

http://www.androidcreations.net/

It looks like they compiled the Live Wallpapers and have a video of each one.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:16 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Check out this website for some Live Wallpaper suggestions:

http://www.androidcreations.net/

It looks like they compiled the Live Wallpapers and have a video of each one.
I been searching forums for live wallpapers and none have them all compiled into one place like this. Thanks
Old 07-23-2010, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by wrxyboy
I been searching forums for live wallpapers and none have them all compiled into one place like this. Thanks
yeah, thats a really cool site... I really liked the star field one from the vid earlier...
Old 07-23-2010, 04:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by wrxyboy
Go to Marketplace and type in live wallpaper and there's some free DLs like the Matrix one. I <3 the Koi one but it's only a trial. Anyhoo, I switched off my live wallpaper because it drains battery like mad.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:27 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Originally Posted by surfer rick
Go to Marketplace and type in live wallpaper and there's some free DLs like the Matrix one. I <3 the Koi one but it's only a trial. Anyhoo, I switched off my live wallpaper because it drains battery like mad.
with battery drain on live wallpaper. I can get about 12hours of heavy use and thats pretty good considering that i am overclocking the phone. Absolutely love the wifi tethering. I use it all the time.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:42 PM

Hey Brotha Docta!

Whatz up mang?

Still happy you gotz androided?

Thats one sick rig! Super computer right in your hand... hows it do running ur medical apps? does AD offer anything cool that you have added?
Old 07-23-2010, 05:18 PM
Safety Car

Live Wallpapers for the most part shouldn't drain battery. At least the one's that don't have a lot of animation going on. I wish, my phone could handle it. The wallpapers work until I go back to my lock screen where then it automatically gets shut off by the Android system to free up some RAM since my phone is so limited. Can't wait to upgrade. lol.

You can check out whats in the Android market on the following sites almost like how you see it on the phone:

www.androlib.com

www.cyrket.com

www.appbrain.com

You can read the reviews, see the pic of the app and how much they cost on there. Much easier to navigate than the market in the phone.

For medical apps, I've only used iPharmacy, Epocrates, and the Concise Oxford Medical dictionary. I'm interested in that Netter's Human Atlas but its $76.95 and no reviews yet. lol.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Hey Brotha Docta!

Whatz up mang?

Still happy you gotz androided?

Thats one sick rig! Super computer right in your hand... hows it do running ur medical apps? does AD offer anything cool that you have added?
What up mang? Evo is sick, huge upgrade from Pre. Little glitches and stuff don't occur. I can't tell you how many times my Pre would reset or the screen would go blank. Still getting used to having a huge ass phone in my left pocket but IMO having the 4.3 inch screen makes smartphone use so much more enjoyable. Surfing interweb is smoother. I only am rocking Epocrates. Any other Apps you recommend?
Old 07-23-2010, 05:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Live Wallpapers for the most part shouldn't drain battery. At least the one's that don't have a lot of animation going on. I wish, my phone could handle it. The wallpapers work until I go back to my lock screen where then it automatically gets shut off by the Android system to free up some RAM since my phone is so limited. Can't wait to upgrade. lol.

You can check out whats in the Android market on the following sites almost like how you see it on the phone:

www.androlib.com

www.cyrket.com

www.appbrain.com

You can read the reviews, see the pic of the app and how much they cost on there. Much easier to navigate than the market in the phone.

For medical apps, I've only used iPharmacy, Epocrates, and the Concise Oxford Medical dictionary. I'm interested in that Netter's Human Atlas but its $76.95 and no reviews yet. lol.
Yea, the aquarium and fish ones are my favorite but there's shit moving all over the screen 24/7. Teh Matrix one is even more active.

How does ipharmacy compare to epocrates. I wish Epocrates had OTC meds, I think that's a addon I have to buy but my pts are always asking about OTC crap like Psoriasin which I had to google to find out was 1.25% coal tar LOL.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:40 PM
Safety Car

Yea, the aquarium and fish ones are my favorite but there's shit moving all over the screen 24/7. Teh Matrix one is even more active.

How does ipharmacy compare to epocrates. I wish Epocrates had OTC meds, I think that's a addon I have to buy but my pts are always asking about OTC crap like Psoriasin which I had to google to find out was 1.25% coal tar LOL.
Well, I'm currently still in school so I only really use the apps to check out its usage, CI, and adverse effects to learn about the drugs. I would say Epocrates is pretty comparable with iPharmacy. Epocrates may be a little bit more straight to the point and iPharmacy with a little more flair.

I tried to pull up Psoriasin and couldn't find it on iPharmacy so you're probably not missing too much using Epocrates.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:16 PM

What up mang? Evo is sick, huge upgrade from Pre. Little glitches and stuff don't occur. I can't tell you how many times my Pre would reset or the screen would go blank. Still getting used to having a huge ass phone in my left pocket but IMO having the 4.3 inch screen makes smartphone use so much more enjoyable. Surfing interweb is smoother. I only am rocking Epocrates. Any other Apps you recommend?
Thats Great news then... I am still saddled with the Pre ... I will ask my sis who's a FP doc and my bro who's a ER doc if they use any good apps and will hollar back at ya man...

I am doing OK, kinda tired.... summer and medicare are wearing me down... Daddy needs a brand new bag!
Old 07-23-2010, 07:31 PM

LOL... coal tar is the bomb bro... you didnt know?

I used to have a really good app on my palm V for OTC stuff when I was a resident, let me see if they still have it floating around out there!

...cant remember the name at all!
Old 07-23-2010, 08:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Psoriasin kills dandruff like crazy... I used to have to use it around 14-15 cos I had gotten really dry scalp.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:26 PM

Psoriasin kills dandruff like crazy... I used to have to use it around 14-15 cos I had gotten really dry scalp.
Thats old school goodstuff... whenevah I can, I go back to the older, more simple stuff...
Old 07-24-2010, 05:45 PM
Safety Car

Playstation Emulator is now in the market!

psx4droid:

http://www.androlib.com/android.appl...psx-jiBDA.aspx

It's fast and feature packed including:
- Supports eboot format! (compressed too!)
- Supports BIN,ISO,IMG,PBP,Z,ZNX
- BlueTooth (WiiMote) controller support
- Trackball d-pad
- Memory card / save states.
- On-screen control overlays
- Scaling modes
- much more

Its $5.99 in the market or I don't have any ISO's on me to try it out but I doubt it would work too well on my outdated phone.

The N64 emulator is supposed to come out soon as well.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Thats Great news then... I am still saddled with the Pre ... I will ask my sis who's a FP doc and my bro who's a ER doc if they use any good apps and will hollar back at ya man...

I am doing OK, kinda tired.... summer and medicare are wearing me down... Daddy needs a brand new bag!
I was ready to stop seeing new Medicare patients but Congress postponed the pay reductions another 6 months. 30% of my practice is Medicare and a 22% pay reduction would mean my collections would decrease by 6%! Not chump change when I'm doing major home renovations. Problem is my Medicare patients are the best. They can come anytime, are always early, don't complain, and are always bringing me food LOL. Furthermore, the elderly are the ones with skin cancer who need me the most!

CMS seriously needs to fix the sustainable growth rate formula and tie Medicare reimbursement to inflation.

LOL... coal tar is the bomb bro... you didnt know?

I used to have a really good app on my palm V for OTC stuff when I was a resident, let me see if they still have it floating around out there!

...cant remember the name at all!
Hells ya mang. I've been compounding coal tar or liquor carbonis detergens with salicylic acid and a topical steroid since residency. I got a dozen nurses on it for recalcitrant hand dermatitis, they call it Dr. Rick's goop I'm proud that my alma mater Stanford pioneered that concoction although the tar stains clothes like mad and I always give my pts the head's up.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:33 PM
Suzuka Master

My boy Mike just gave me the heads up on Fring for video chat and TiKL which turns the Evo into a Nextel style walkie talkie. I was just video chatting with my best friend, so frickin epic LOL.

Unlike the iphone, Fring doesn't require wifi which is a bonus.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:47 AM
Safety Car

Here's someone's video of psx4droid playing Final Fantasy VII using a wiimote and the 5" Dell Streak:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCYvCYsuwV0

Would've been better if it had a kickstand. lol. I wonder how well this thing performs with a faster GPU like the Samsung phones. The emulator was designed with an N1 so it should perform just as good on the Evo. Remember this is the first release so its not auto-skipping frames yet. I have to say it looks pretty good for a first release.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:16 AM
Safety Car

For those that missed it last night, the Cyanogen just released an RC1 build of Froyo for the Evo 4G. Still missing a few things but should be stable enough.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=735596

Known Issues:
* Protected apps not seen in Market, search the forums for a fix.
* No 4G, FM radio, or HDMI yet.
* Overclocking will destroy your battery.
* Facebook contact sync not working, search the forums for a fix.

He also released RC2 for the Nexus One, Dream, and Sapphire (Magic). I flashed it last night. Still have to run it through its paces, but battery life seems to be pretty good. I left WiFi and Sync on last night for around 6-7 hours and my phone is at 85% battery life which is close to what I get on a normal basis. They made some tweaks here and there but so far so good.

Changelog found below:

http://github.com/CyanogenMod/androi...CHANGELOG.mkdn
Old 07-26-2010, 10:06 AM

I was ready to stop seeing new Medicare patients but Congress postponed the pay reductions another 6 months. 30% of my practice is Medicare and a 22% pay reduction would mean my collections would decrease by 6%! Not chump change when I'm doing major home renovations. Problem is my Medicare patients are the best. They can come anytime, are always early, don't complain, and are always bringing me food LOL. Furthermore, the elderly are the ones with skin cancer who need me the most!

CMS seriously needs to fix the sustainable growth rate formula and tie Medicare reimbursement to inflation.

Hells ya mang. I've been compounding coal tar or liquor carbonis detergens with salicylic acid and a topical steroid since residency. I got a dozen nurses on it for recalcitrant hand dermatitis, they call it Dr. Rick's goop I'm proud that my alma mater Stanford pioneered that concoction although the tar stains clothes like mad and I always give my pts the head's up.
My practice is about 70% medicare/caid... I am gonna be in another practice soon, if they do not quit with this craziness...

LOL.. @ Dr Rick's Goop... market that mang! ...awesome that you got a backdoor tool at Stanford to help out some peeps!

My lil bro did his undergrad @ Stanford!
Old 07-26-2010, 10:07 AM

CG, thats a sick vid and I looked at the new Cyanogen thread... just awesome!
Old 07-26-2010, 10:16 AM
Safety Car

CG, thats a sick vid and I looked at the new Cyanogen thread... just awesome!
Yeah the features Cyanogen and his team adds onto his ROMs are amazing. They're always adding new features that you don't think about. Every new flash makes the phone feel brand new. It gets addicting. lol.

I need a new phone to try out the emulator but I hear it performs pretty well depending on which game you play. It should get even better over time though. I need to buy a Wii classic controller pro so I can get more buttons. Few more weeks.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:35 AM

My boy Mike just gave me the heads up on Fring for video chat and TiKL which turns the Evo into a Nextel style walkie talkie. I was just video chatting with my best friend, so frickin epic LOL.

Unlike the iphone, Fring doesn't require wifi which is a bonus.
Vid Chat FTW! Thats crazy fresh!
Old 07-26-2010, 10:41 AM

Yeah the features Cyanogen and his team adds onto his ROMs are amazing. They're always adding new features that you don't think about. Every new flash makes the phone feel brand new. It gets addicting. lol.

I need a new phone to try out the emulator but I hear it performs pretty well depending on which game you play. It should get even better over time though. I need to buy a Wii classic controller pro so I can get more buttons. Few more weeks.
Dude, ur our Android Guru... you gotta get a new rig when its feasible ... but I understand... when i was in med school I was always about 3 generations behind on everything... I had no cell phone, drove a 85 chevy suburban and mostly wore scrubs cuz I didnt have to spend alot of money on clothes. ... residency = by comparison.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:39 AM
Safety Car

Dude, ur our Android Guru... you gotta get a new rig when its feasible ... but I understand... when i was in med school I was always about 3 generations behind on everything... I had no cell phone, drove a 85 chevy suburban and mostly wore scrubs cuz I didnt have to spend alot of money on clothes. ... residency = by comparison.
Haha. Yeah. These loans are getting expensive. I'm actually doing the med school thing outside the US so I miss out on a lot of things back home. Only have a few more weeks left over here though, then I'm back in the states for good. Luckily, all these updates make my phone bearable as outdated as my phone is.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:56 PM

Haha. Yeah. These loans are getting expensive. I'm actually doing the med school thing outside the US so I miss out on a lot of things back home. Only have a few more weeks left over here though, then I'm back in the states for good. Luckily, all these updates make my phone bearable as outdated as my phone is.
Sweetness,... a couple peeps in my residency program had gone to med school outside the US... they loved it!

Yup, its nice when you can mod your phone, not just your ride!

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread