Acura: RLX News

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 01:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Acura is schizophrenic thanks to a mixture of US cars and the singular Japanese car, the RLX.

And hopefully the newly-freed Acura will be allowed to make adult decisions regarding its powertrain options and platforms. It'll take a few years but hopefully proper V6 and V8 RWD vehicles start to show up.

If not, they might as well just quit now with the RLX or any successor.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Looks like the Sport Hybrid is dead in the USA

blacktsxwagon posted a screenshot of the Acura Facebook page, and I visited *shudder* Facebook to verify.

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g.../#post15413085

Dunno whether this is true, or whether Acura social media simply doesn't know anything, but if true, it's really sad.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:49 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
They still have 58 days until Spring is over.

Acura | Press Releases Article | Acura.com

The 2016 RLX Sport Hybrid, with three-motor hybrid system and electrically powered torque vectoring provided by the Super Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD) system, will go on sale later in the spring.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:31 PM
Senior Moderator

The Acura rep is stating repeatedly in that thread that it is no longer offered. Sounds like they changed their mind.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:57 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
The Acura rep is stating repeatedly in that thread that it is no longer offered. Sounds like they changed their mind.
I could see this if Acura showed obvious signs of going in a different direction, but why are they doing this? The SH RLX is the only remotely good RLX
The following users liked this post:
neuronbob (04-23-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 01:44 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx
The SH RLX is the only remotely good RLX
Judging from the sales numbers, it is obvious that not many luxury sport sedan buyers agree so.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Judging from the sales numbers, it is obvious that not many luxury sport sedan buyers agree so.
That is the RLX in general. The SH version wasnt going to make the car sell any better but it doesnt mean that it wasnt good. It was just implemented on the wrong car. This should have been an option for the new TLX when it came out, something that was destined to sell better than the flop of a car they put it on.
kurtatx (04-26-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 08:54 AM
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx
I could see this if Acura showed obvious signs of going in a different direction, but why are they doing this? The SH RLX is the only remotely good RLX
I have still yet to see a single Sport Hybrid out in the public, and this is in the busy SF Bay Area. It's quite obvious that Honda's had major problems launching this car (vaporware for the longest time, ultra small inventories and sales). Considering the complicated drivetrain (ambitious from an Engineering perspective, compared to other Hybrids) the Sport Hybrid may also probably a loss-leader (costs them most to make than to sell, especially in small quantites), and the drivetrain being attached to such an unpopular model prevents them from being able to charge a real premium for the tech.

The fault is not the Sport Hybrid itself, but is of it being attached to the RLX model line, which is sinking faster than a rock. This is sad news, but it's not hard to see it as a necessary business move to cut losses (sales-wise).
kurtatx (04-26-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 09:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 100 Posts
The RLX should top out at 45-50k in advance trim... The TLX should be somewhere in the mid 30's in advance trim...

Acura blew it again in overshooting the market and undershooting the exterior elegance/aggression... It looks like any other mass market family sedan.. there is nothing emotional or compelling about it...

You sell the extra tech only AFTER you have someone salivating over owning it... You don't sell a drab car to people by talking about advance tech.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:57 AM
_

Originally Posted by hddnav
I have still yet to see a single Sport Hybrid out in the public, and this is in the busy SF Bay Area.
Aside from the dealer lot, I can't ever recall seeing an RLX in any trim out in public and I'm in SoCal.

Maybe the approx. 9,100 they've sold so far just blends in too well with all the other cars out there?
Old 04-24-2015, 12:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 100 Posts
A guy down the street from me has an RLX, looks like a passat with jewel eyes... I don't get the design at all. way too muted.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:39 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
The sport hybrid system is really interesting. It's too bad I never get to see C&D, MT, or Edmunds doing a proper road test on a RLX Sport Hybrid. I'd just like to see how it does in those tests.

Don't think this is too much of a surprise though. As soon as the styling was revealed, and subsequently the starting price, most people thought it's DOA.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:49 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by Booya4139
The RLX should top out at 45-50k in advance trim... The TLX should be somewhere in the mid 30's in advance trim...
Would be nice to have a TLX Advance for mid 30's....but that's pretty much Accord Touring pricing. Even if you treat the TLX Advance as an Accord plus, that car still has quite a few things that the Accord Touring doesn't have....namely a much better stereo system, longer warranty, memory exterior mirrors & HVAC, paddle shifters, front ventilated seats, DVD player, perimeter lighting, plus all those safety nannies etc.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:03 AM
2G TLX-S

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
That is the RLX in general. The SH version wasnt going to make the car sell any better but it doesnt mean that it wasnt good. It was just implemented on the wrong car. This should have been an option for the new TLX when it came out, something that was destined to sell better than the flop of a car they put it on.
My bro-in-law bought the hybrid AWD RLX a couple months ago after waited for 6 months.

I too agree that the hybrid AWD RLX is a damn good car, but unfortunately just cost way too much money for an "ACURA sedan".

If Acura had had lowered the AWD RLX price tag by $10-15K, then the flagship sedan would have all sold out, even before rolling out from the factory floor.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:36 AM
Senior Moderator

I don't think they could make any money on the RLX hybrid with that kind of discount. In fact, it probably cost more to make than they sold it for. In addition, other cars with a similar system like the i8 and 918 cost several times more, so that Acura charged $66k makes the car a bargain in that sense. Even so, without marketing, dealer support, or enough inventory to choose colors, this car was doomed from the start, and the disastrous PAWS release didn't help matters.

If the car is indeed discontinued, I'm lucky I nabbed one. It drives brilliantly and the Honda engineers did a hell of a job on the eSH-AWD system. If you have the opportunity to drive one, take it. If they can get this tech into a mass produced model (TLX), it will sell.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:26 AM
Senior Moderator

I don't think they could make any money on the RLX hybrid with that kind of discount. In fact, it probably cost more to make than they sold it for. In addition, other cars with a similar system like the i8 and 918 cost several times more, so that Acura charged $66k makes the car a bargain in that sense. Even so, without marketing, dealer support, or enough inventory to choose colors, this car was doomed from the start, and the disastrous PAWS release didn't help matters.

If the car is indeed discontinued, I'm lucky I nabbed one. It drives brilliantly and the Honda engineers did a hell of a job on the eSH-AWD system. If you have the opportunity to drive one, take it. If they can get this tech into a mass produced model (TLX), it will sell.
I agree, its a great system. Its just unfortunate that it was doomed from the beginning just because RLX. If Acura had put more than a half ass'd attempt by a blind person for a design team it may have taken off better. When Everything Lexus and Toyota builds has more design flare and head turning ability you know you are doing something wrong.
neuronbob (04-25-2015)
Old 04-25-2015, 07:43 PM
2G TLX-S

However, think of it this way.

The volume-selling MDX and the mass-produced TLX already have the proven SH-AWD option.

Due to its complexity, the system cost of the eSH-AWD will always be several levels above that of the SH-AWD.

From a luxury vehicle buyer's perspective, is the eSH-AWD so much better than the SH-AWD that warrant the extra premium and future maintenance/reliability issues for the eSH-AWD over the SH-AWD ? I highly doubt it.

The majority of luxury AWD vehicle buyers only need the basic AWD capability (meaning better traction and not getting stuck in the snow/ice).

This is exactly the reason why buyers are still going for the plain-O AWD BMW's and MB's in doves. They don't need some fancy AWD systems, they only want an AWD that can get them out of trouble.

A fancy AWD system (such as the hybrid multi-motor electronic AWD system) will only push up the price point of the vehicle, but not making the vehicle more appealing to these buyers.

Lastly, a hypothetical question.

Would the RLX sedan be more successful if the RLX was all AWD ? The mechanical SH-AWD came standard with the RLX, while adhering to the same FWD RLX pricing. The hybrid eSH-AWD RLX could become the test bed to find out how willing the consumers were to go for the eSH-AWD over the proven SH-AWD.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:22 AM
Senior Moderator

The volume-selling MDX and the mass-produced TLX already have the proven SH-AWD option.

Due to its complexity, the system cost of the eSH-AWD will always be several levels above that of the SH-AWD.

From a luxury vehicle buyer's perspective, is the eSH-AWD so much better than the SH-AWD that warrant the extra premium and future maintenance/reliability issues for the eSH-AWD over the SH-AWD ? I highly doubt it.

The majority of luxury AWD vehicle buyers only need the basic AWD capability (meaning better traction and not getting stuck in the snow/ice).

This is exactly the reason why buyers are still going for the plain-O AWD BMW's and MB's in doves. They don't need some fancy AWD systems, they only want an AWD that can get them out of trouble.

A fancy AWD system (such as the hybrid multi-motor electronic AWD system) will only push up the price point of the vehicle, but not making the vehicle more appealing to these buyers.

Would the RLX sedan be more successful if the RLX was all AWD ? The mechanical SH-AWD came standard with the RLX, while adhering to the same FWD RLX pricing. The hybrid eSH-AWD RLX could become the test bed to find out how willing the consumers were to go for the eSH-AWD over the proven SH-AWD.
I dint think it would be a good test bed 1 single bit. The car all by itself was selling terribly, If by adding this they did this to see how it would sell would over the standard sh-awd i think it would be one of the dumber ideas they came up with.

If Acura wants to be value luxury they should be offering the eSH-AWD at the normal SH-AWD price (maybe a very small price increase) and the SH-AWD at base pricing. This is the type of system they should be offering across the lineup at current top level pricing to help distinguish themselves from the rest. They could start to recapture design costs of the system if it was offered on all their vehicles instead of just the one that isnt selling to begin with.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:39 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I think this is where a good marketing team is needed and obviously Honda marketing team is not up to standard at all...

We know even the mechanical SH-AWD system is superior to many AWD systems, but people don't really know or understand about it. I feel that a whole lot more effort is needed to promote SH-AWD and its performance capability.

As for eSH-AWD, it's such a capable system but it's a shame that people don't even know what it is or why it's better. It's Honda's job to make this system look appealing to people. Obviously this won't happen overnight. It will take years of effort.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:35 PM
_

Originally Posted by iforyou
I think this is where a good marketing team is needed and obviously Honda marketing team is not up to standard at all...
You mean to tell us that these award winning commercials don't make you want to run out and get an RLX?

Comes in 3 new exciting interior colors too

Old 04-27-2015, 04:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
How is PAWS different from let's say other All Wheel steering cars? like um... Prelude, G35s, and i think even 5 series have that as an option (Integral Active Steering), yet no one really made a big deal about it...
Old 04-27-2015, 04:20 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
I haven't seen a RLX in person yet, I think.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:28 PM
Team Owner

You sure? maybe you thought they were TLX or Accord but they were really RLX.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts
Thought you might enjoy a pic of our RLX with a 20" set of Vossens

neuronbob (04-29-2015)
Old 04-27-2015, 06:01 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
How is PAWS different from let's say other All Wheel steering cars? like um... Prelude, G35s, and i think even 5 series have that as an option (Integral Active Steering), yet no one really made a big deal about it...
Acura claims that PAWS is the "first system that enables the rear wheels to adjust toe angles independently of each other."

I'm not sure if other systems can do the bolded part? Perhaps other systems turn both rear wheels the same amount all the time? I don't know..just a guess.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:37 PM
Team Owner

Who knows.

But i do know that it is not something that most of the people really care about anyways since every major manufacturers has their own version of PAWS, whether they are identical or similar, but they pretty much do the same thing.

Acura probably ran out of ideas to advertise the RLX with, and they came up with the PAWS, so maybe consumers will forget that it is FWD? :don't know

Really should have introduced Sport Hybrid first.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:22 PM
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
So much for the "dark horse" ad campaign. Sad.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:00 AM
2G TLX-S

Who knows.

But i do know that it is not something that most of the people really care about anyways since every major manufacturers has their own version of PAWS, whether they are identical or similar, but they pretty much do the same thing.

Acura probably ran out of ideas to advertise the RLX with, and they came up with the PAWS, so maybe consumers will forget that it is FWD? :don't know

To hell with all these acronyms such as PAWS, eSH-AWD, etc.

Most auto buyers, except car enthusiasts, simply treat them as a front-wheel-drive sedan, and a hybrid all-wheel-drive sedan.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:53 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Shouldn't the title of this thread be changed now that the hybrid is gone?
Old 04-28-2015, 07:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jwong77
Shouldn't the title of this thread be changed now that the hybrid is gone, kill the car off!!
Fixed
jwong77 (04-30-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 10:38 AM
brahs be jelly

Received 247 Likes on 169 Posts
blacktsxwagon posted a screenshot of the Acura Facebook page, and I visited *shudder* Facebook to verify.

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g.../#post15413085

Dunno whether this is true, or whether Acura social media simply doesn't know anything, but if true, it's really sad.
I doubt they know what they're talking about. A delay is more likely.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:03 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Who knows.

If it can adjust the toe angle of each rear wheel independently, that it can do extra stuff like stabilizing the car under high speed braking. Then again there are other systems like EBD that sort of do that. And also, a well tuned car should be able to solve this issue.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:06 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Originally Posted by mattyloudness
Thought you might enjoy a pic of our RLX with a 20" set of Vossens

Looks good!
Old 04-30-2015, 07:15 PM
Pro

Acura RLX Earns Top 5-Star Overall Safety Score from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration - Honda.com

Then again...maybe not so dead?

The 2016 RLX flagship luxury sedan has also received significant chassis tuning refinements to enhance ride quality and has upgraded to 19-inch wheels that are standard across all trims. Despite all of the additions to the 2016 model year, the manufacturer's suggested retail prices (MSRP) of the 2016 RLX remain unchanged from the previous model year.

The 2016 RLX Sport Hybrid, which features a three-motor Sport Hybrid Super Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD) system with electrically powered torque vectoring, will go on sale in early June.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Looks like the intern running social media for Acura was talking out of his butt after all.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:00 PM
Pro

On that social media / marketing note...I still have yet to see a single commercial for the Sport Hybrid. Online, or on TV.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:12 AM
2G TLX-S

One dynamic thread title :

"released" -> "dead" -> "released"
Old 05-01-2015, 06:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Mugen.Justice
On that social media / marketing note...I still have yet to see a single commercial for the Sport Hybrid. Online, or on TV.
It's that marketing yo. People who know about it know how to find it. And if you don't know how to find it, you can't afford it.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:34 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Didn't big boss Mike Accavitti recently said that social media isn't selling cars? Maybe he is right that the promise of social media helping dealers is all hoopla hoopla. These guys have seen the real data backed up by hard core research and concluded that social media is only selling... social media, cute cats and dog videos, transgender monkeys on oprah...

Last edited by Tonyware; 05-01-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:14 PM
Senior Moderator

One dynamic thread title :

"released" -> "dead" -> "released"
Hummmmmm Following in the foot steps of its brother, the NSX

Quick Reply: Acura: RLX News