3G TL Audio & Electronics FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 10:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Talking 3G TL Audio & Electronics FAQ

This is currently work in progess... please send me a PM if you feel that a certain Q&A should be included. Thanks!

If you find your question here but it is unanswered, that means you should perform a search.

To prevent clutter and repetitive posts, I have created the following Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ). It is a supplement to The 3G TL Garage: FAQ. You may want to check there first.

This FAQ is divided into 4 main categories:

1. AUDIO
iPod, aux-in, mp3, DVD-Audio, speakers, subwoofers, amps

2. NAVIGATION & VIDEO
hacks and mods, DVD video, backup camera

3. HFL/BLUETOOTH
pairing and linking cell phones

4. OTHER ELECTRONICS
voice commands, radar detectors, LEDs

Last updated 01/07/2009
The following 5 users liked this post by datmrman:
CALILUVTL (04-09-2013), JOSH 04TL (11-03-2013), mrsinister12 (12-20-2015), nchein (08-09-2012), Xpditor (11-19-2011)
Old 11-18-2006, 01:27 AM
Safety Car

AUDIO: Part I

Q: How do I add iPod support?
A: There are a few options for iPod integration with the car. The factory option is to go with the MusicLink. The aftermarket options include USA Spec PA11-HON2y, Blitzsafe HON/MLink1 V.2X, Harmon Kardon Drive+Play, and the Valor iLink. The audio interfaces allow you to listen to your iPod through the factory headunit, charge your iPod, and provide limited controls. Currently, it is not possible to integrate the iPod with touchscreen control support from the factory navigation screen. Here is a quick summary of the modules. Simply click on each module for the respective threads.

Acura MusicLink
The highly anticipated Acura MusicLink turned out to be a major disappointment to the Acurazine community. The MusicLink allows you to integrate iPod controls to the factory system via CD-C (external CD changer) emulation. Due to its price and lack of features, most members choose other aftermarket solutions.
Pros: Factory option, Plug-n-play, great sound quality, keep XM radio with Y-harness
Cons: $$$, Difficult to use/navigate through songs, no track/album/artist titles, shows track title up to track 99 and reloops. Details here
Other Relevant Threads:
Peripheral PXAMG / iSimple
A recent product that is gaining some popularity.
Other Relevant Threads:
DICE iPod Adapter with Text Display
This new product has been gaining a lot of popularity within the last few months. iPod integration like the USA Spec PA11-HON2y (below) and artist/track information. Can you see why? Click the title above for details.
Other Relevant Threads:
USA Spec PA11-HON2y
The PA11-HON2y is an upgrade to the popular USA Spec PA11-HON2. The newer model fixes interference and locking issues as well as adds an integrated XM Y-adapter. Both models provide iPod integration as well as an extra auxillary input for another audio device. Two play modes are allowed: direct mode or playlist mode and can be controlled by a toggle switch on the module. The playlist mode works like the MusicLink and allows you to navigate the songs with factory controls. The direct mode allows direct control from the iPod itself.
Pros: Direct control via iPod, keep XM with Y-adapter, Plug-n-play, cheaper than MusicLink, great sound quality, extra aux-in for another audio device
Cons: CD-C emulation track issue similar to MusicLink, no track/album/artist titles
Other Relevant Threads:
Blitzsafe HON/MLink1 V.2X
Probably one of the more affordable and simple solutions out there, the Blitzsafe MLink provides an iPod connection to the factory headunit and with the built-in Y-adapter, XM is retained. All controls are done via the iPod itself. There have been a few revisions of this module. Some have reported flawless operation ('04 TL) while others encounter bugs (mostly '05-'06 TL).
Pros: Direct play mode, keep XM, one of the cheapest modules out there
Cons: CD-C emulation track issue similar to MusicLink, no track/album/artist titles, no factory controls
Other Relevant Threads:
The following modules allow iPod support, but require additional hardware

Blitzsafe UII Universal iPod Interface
This is usually an option for someone that already has an aux-in interface (see below) and would like to add iPod support. The Blitzsafe UII uses RCA connections and requires another aux-in interface (PIE X3, Blitzsafe HON/AUX DMX) to connect to the factory headunit. This module charges the iPod and all controls are based on the iPod itself.
Pros: Direct play mode, charges iPod, not expensive
Cons: no track/album/artist titles, no factory controls, requires another aux-in interface (more cumbersome), requires a power/ground connection for iPod charging
Other Relevant Threads:
Valor iLink
This iPod module requires a separate video interface AND another aux-input interface, but it displays the contents of the iPod on the factory navigation screen via RCA cables.
Pros: Displays track/artist info, navigation is similar to iPod interface, play video from the iPod
Cons: Requires a video interface and another aux-in interface, remote control (no touchscreen support), requires a car adapter
Other Relevant Threads:
Harmon Kardon Drive + Play and Drive + Play 2
The Drive+Play is a general iPod integration kit not designed for any car in particular. The kit includes everything you need to add iPod support to your car. The Drive+Play 2 is the lastest version and is soon to be released.
Pros: Display album/track info on its own display, aux-in/wired FM/wireless FM support. On D+P 2: wireless controller, bigger full color screen, album art display, usb flash memory support, optional bluetooth and sirius support.
Cons: "Bulky" - display screen, media hub, and controller, pricey
Other Relevant Threads:
Q: How do I add support for my non-iPod portable MP3 player (aux input)?
A: There are currently a few aftermarket interfaces that will add auxiliary input(s) to the factory head unit: Blitzsafe HON/AUX DMX and the P.I.E. X3.

Anyone using Blitzsafe HON/AUX DMX V.2X for AUX?
Blitzsafe Hon/aux DMX V.2 does NOT work on 06 TL non navi
BlitzSafe Adjusting Firmware for the DMX V.2x; Eliminates the XM Bleed Issue

It is also possible to splice into the factory wires to add an aux input. See this thread for details:Q: Where can I buy these aftermarket audio interfaces? What online stores would you recommend?
Q: How do I access the back of the head unit to install an audio interface?
A: There are a few good posts:Q: Which Factory Sound Processor for factory Integration?
A: There are a few good posts:
The following 4 users liked this post by datmrman:
JOSH 04TL (11-03-2013), nchein (08-09-2012), tnjwills (03-06-2013), Xpditor (11-19-2011)
Old 11-18-2006, 01:28 AM
Safety Car

AUDIO: Part II

Q: How do create a usuable disk containing many songs?
A: Unfortunately, the '04-'06 TLs do not support MP3 CDs. Instead, there is support for another audio disk standard called DVD-Audio or DVD-A. These special disks can be purchased in stores and with the help of some software, they can also be created (with the right software and disk). Please see the questions below for further details.

With the introduction of the '07 TLs (Base and Type-S), CDs containing MP3 files are supported. DVDs containing MP3 files are not supported, but DVD-A support remains.

Q: What is a DVD-Audio? How is it different from a DVD-Video? DVD+R? DVD-R? DVD-RW? DVD+RW?
A: Without getting into the specific details, DVD-Audio (or DVD-A for short), is very similar to DVD-Video (or DVD-V for short). They are both DVD formats; one is optimized for high quality audio whereas the other is for high quality video. Most home DVD players, will play DVD-Video and audio DVD-Video (like its not confusing enough), but very few can play DVD-A. The factory head unit in the third generation TL supports DVD-A (not DVD-V).

Just like DVD-V, DVD-A can be created using DVD media types: DVD-R, DVD+R, their rewritable variants (+/-RW), and dual layer DVD+R DL. Most members are having better luck with name brand DVD-R (TDK, Memorex, Fuji, Verbatim, Maxell, etc).

Although the '07+ TL supports CD-Text (artist/track info), there is no "DVD-Text" display. It is not possible to view artist/track information with DVD-A in the TL.

Synopsis: DVD-Audio is a format like DVD-Video and can similarly be created with the right software and hardware with different blank DVD media types (DVD-R being the most favorable).

For more details about DVD-Audio, check out these links:
Q: How do I create a DVD-A?
A: There are a few retail software that will allow you to create DVD-A disks: Ulead Burn.Now 2.0+ (available as stand-alone or included in Ulead DVD MovieFactory Creator) and Cirlinca DVD-Audio Solo.

As for free software, perform a search for threads created by member Adobeman. He is a DVD-Audio guru and has graciously created free software to create them. You will find updated links to his software by clicking on the link to view his user profile. The links from his user profile are copied here:
Q: The above mentioned software is for PC, what software is available for Macs?
A: Two good threads to read:
Q: I'm looking for stores (locally and online) to purchase retail DVD-As. Do you have any recommendations?
A: Here are a few threads to start, but theres more with a search.
DVD-Audio Titles:DVD-Audio Stores:
Q: Why doesn't the head unit continue onto the next group after all of the tracks of the current group have finished? How do I switch between groups on a DVD-A?
A: The head unit's support of groups on a DVD-A is a bit quirky. Upon finishing the tracks of a group, the head unit will move onto the next disk! To switch between groups of a single DVD-A, press and hold SCAN and REPEAT buttons.

Q: What are the sizes of the stock speakers? How do I replace them?
A: Here are a few good threads to start with:
Q: Is it possible to upgrade/replace the factory sub? What options are there for aftermarket subs?
A: Here are some informational threads to start:
Q: Is it possible to upgrade/replace the factory amp? What options are there for aftermarket amps?
A: Here are some informational threads to start:
Q: Can I convert XM to Sirius Satellite Radio?
A: There are a few links in The Garage. It might not be worth the effort: It's Official! XM And Sirius Are Merging - MERGED THREAD

Q: How can I add Sirius Satellite Radio support?
The following 4 users liked this post by datmrman:
JOSH 04TL (11-03-2013), nchein (08-09-2012), tnjwills (03-06-2013), Xpditor (11-19-2011)
Old 11-18-2006, 01:28 AM
Safety Car

NAVIGATION & VIDEO

Q: Is there a hack to remove the OK button nag screen when my navigation is loading?
A: Depending on the version of your navi, there might be. Here is a good place to start: Navigation Hack Guide: Welcome Screen Mod, Trip Computer, OK Button Nag Removal

Q: The brightness on my navigation is set to AUTO, yet my screen does not change at night. What am I missing?
A: Your console brightness is set to MAX. Simply press the MAX button and you will notice that the navigation screen dims when you turn on your headlights. The button can act as a toggle switch that overrides the AUTO setting when you need to have your lights on during the day.

Q: I would like to add the factory navigation to my non-navi, is this possible?
A: A few members have done so. Some of their threads can be found in The 3G Garage and well as performing a search with keyword conversion.
Q: How do I add DVD/media player support?
A: There are three main parts required to add dvd/media player support: video module, audio module, dvd/media player.

In order to add video input to the factory navigation system, you will need to purchase a video interface. The video interface will provide the video RCA connections. The most popular is Dom's TVandNav2Go module - as known for short as Dom's unit, Dom, Nav2Go and variations thereof. Since he is a vendor on here, you will find group buys here for this module here: Sponsored Sales & Group Buys.

In order to add audio input(s) to the factory head unit, you will need to purchase an audio interface. The audio interface will provide the audio (usually RCA, but can be aux-in) connections. They are outlined in the Audio section of this FAQ. I would recommend Blitzsafe HON/AUX DMX if you don't care for iPod integration, USA Spec PA11-HON2y for iPod + one aux input, or PIE X3 for three aux inputs.

Lastly, is your media device. With the two main modules above you can then incorporate DVD/PS2/XBOX/Carputer/Mediagate to the factory system.

Here are some threads on Dom's TVandNav2Go with DVD players:
Q: How about support for video from other media devices/players?Q: I have navi and a video iPod. How do I display videos from my iPod on the navigation screen?
A: With a video module like the TVandNav2Go, adding support for the video iPod is not difficult. Here are some threads that discusses the details:
Q: How do I add a backup camera?
A: Here are some good threads to study:Q: How do I add TV to the navigation?
A: Here are some good threads to study:
Q: How do I install a carputer or carPC (for non-nav and navi)?
A: Here are a few good threads:
Q: Do I need to update my navigation DVD? What updates are available? Do I have the most recent DVD released?
A: Click here to launch Alpine's navi website

Q: Is it possible to add XM Nav Traffic (from the RL, MDX) to the '04-06 TL?
A: No. All threads on Nav/XM Traffic on the TL - MERGED

Q: Is it possible to add XM Nav Traffic (from the '07 TL) to the '04-06 TL?
A: See question: Is it possible to add MP3/XM Nav Traffic/backup camera from the '07 TL and install it into the '04-'06 TL?
juvie85 (02-20-2015), maska (05-22-2013), mrsinister12 (05-24-2014), nchein (08-09-2012), Xpditor (11-19-2011)
Old 11-18-2006, 01:29 AM
Safety Car

HANDS FREE LINK [HFL] / BLUETOOTH

Some Specs Pulled from the Manual:

Bluetooth and HandsFreeLink
  • The HFL uses a Class 3 Bluetooth with max range is 30 feet.
  • To use HFL, your phone must have Bluetooth capabilities along with the Hands Free Profile.
  • The HFL can store up to 50 names and phone numbers in its phonebook.
  • On the MID, signal strength, roam status, and battery level status may not appear. Some phones will not send this info to the HFL.
Pairing
  • Your Bluetooth phone must be paired to the HFL before you can make and receive hands-free calls. HFL does not allow you to pair your phone if the vehicle is moving.
  • Up to six phones can be paired to HFL.
  • To change from the current linked phone to another paired phone, press and release the Talk button. After the beep, say "Next phone." The HFL will disconnect the currently linked phone and search for another paired phone. If no other phone is found, the first phone remains linked.
Calling
  • During a call, the HFL allows you to talk up to 30 minutes after you remove the key from the ignition switch.
  • The HFL allows you to send numbers and names during a call via the "Send" voice command.
  • If your phone has Call Waiting, and you receive a call when you are on the phone, press the Talk button to answer it. The original call is placed on hold. To return to the original call, press the Talk button again. If you want to hang up the original call and answer the new call, press the Back button.
  • During a call, you can transfer it between the HFL and your phone via the "Transfer" voice command. NOTE: Some phones with compatibility issues cannot use this command.
  • During a call, you can mute or unmute your voice to the person your talking to via the "Mute" voice command.
Misc
  • It is possible to clear the HFL of your passcode, paired phones, and all names in the HFL phonebook. Use the following sequence of voice commands: "System," "Clear," "Yes," "OK."
  • Canadian models can change the HFL language between English and French via the voice command "Change Language."

The manual does not discuss the situation where there are multiple paired phones. It could give priority to the first phone that was paired to the system or to the most recent phone that was linked.

Q: How can I store delays and symbols (#'s and *'s) with the numbers in the phonebook?
A: The voice command "pause" will insert a delay between dials. A # can be inserted via the voice command "pound"; "star" for *. Here are two good threads with tips:Recent Popular Bluetooth Phones:

iPhone works like a charm in '05 TL!

Blackberry (crackberry) 8830

Treo 700wx with TL HFL

LG enV VX9900

LG Chocolate - MERGED

Blackberry Pearl

The MOTOROLA Q Is Released MERGED
Attention Motorola Q Users...Upgrade your Phone Software!!!

Verizon LG VX8300

Verizon KRZR K1m Status

Razr V3M Pairing Problem
RAZR V3m for Verizon—a few questions on customizing
new verizon version of razr?
06 TL Bluetooth Call Display Problems
Samsung A930 vs. Motorola Razr
Issues with Motorola Razr V3
Telus - Motorola RAZR V3c - pairing issues?
Call Waiting, Call Dropped; Razr V3
Problem: Pairing Razr V3c with '05TL
The following 2 users liked this post by datmrman:
nchein (08-09-2012), Xpditor (11-19-2011)
Old 03-01-2007, 12:56 AM
Safety Car

OTHER ELECTRONICS

Q: Do you have a list of all the possible voice prompts?
A: See this thread: Voice Prompts

Q: Is it possible to add MP3/XM Nav Traffic/backup camera from the '07 TL and install it into the '04-'06 TL?
A: [OUTDATED] It has yet to be proven, but the newer system seems to be integrated such that to obtain full functionality of the '07 system, a majority of the system will need to be upgraded. The headunit needs to be upgraded to incorporate MP3 functionality; the navi DVD drive needs to be upgraded to use the new 4.X system and the backup camera; the XM module needs to be upgraded to add XM Nav Traffic. The costs to do such a revamp will run in the thousands.

More details can be found in the following threads:
Q: How do I hardwire my radar detector?

Q: How do I add blue/white LEDs?Q: How do I make the backup lights brighter?
JOSH 04TL (11-03-2013), kaushal98 (09-06-2011), maska (01-13-2014), nchein (08-09-2012), Xpditor (11-19-2011)