Well it's not mine, but it's an Acura...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006 | 09:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Well it's not mine, but it's an Acura...

Some of you may have seen this at Autopia. I'm mostly posting it here because 1) It's an NSX, and 2) I'm using a new polish combo that I'm liking a lot and want to share. I know some of you use Optimum Polish and Compound, well someone at Autopia came up with the idea of mixing it 50/50 which makes for a good swirl remover than finishes down really nicely *and* is usable in the sun.

1991 Acura NSX, daily driver (I know, I love that he drives it daily :2thumbs: ). Moderate swirling, some deeper scratches, paint was a little pinkish with some oxidation on the hood. It'd never been polished. Unfortunately we only had about 3 hours, so I was only able to one polishing step. Luckily it came out *really* well. I'm going to fill in some chips and hit it with FPII at a later date and top with Souveran, should be almost perfect then. I used Nattys today because the owner is going on a 50 car drive with a bunch of exotics next weekend and wanted it to really pop.

Process:

Wash (Megs DC)
Clay
Some spot polishing with Menzerna IP/orange (hood, rear decklid)
OC/OP 50/50 mix on a white pad
Clearkote VM/grey
Nattys Blue

befores:

afters:

Old 06-04-2006 | 09:20 PM
Safety Car

Jackie, I might give it a shot for use on some other cars. I assume you're using a PC to work it in. Does the mixture affect working time of the OP? And at what speed were you at?
Old 06-04-2006 | 09:25 PM
04 remembrance

Good job!

Those volks looks good on ANY car...
Old 06-04-2006 | 09:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Nice work Kevin , looks fantastic. I wish I could come along when you do cars like that,......just so I could stare at them and take lots of pics LOL.
Old 06-04-2006 | 09:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
Jackie, I might give it a shot for use on some other cars. I assume you're using a PC to work it in. Does the mixture affect working time of the OP? And at what speed were you at?
I've used it via PC and rotary - today was via PC. OC has a really long working time too, so overall I'd say the working time is slightly reduced in comparison with regular OP, but it's still very long. One nice side-effect is the combo seems slightly easier to remove (the residue) than OP/OC by themselves. I apply it just like I do with OP, work it around the area @ speed 3, crank it to 6 and then do the real polishing, move slow etc... seems to dry up in about 45-60 seconds.

If I was inside I'd have probably used FPII on a white pad and achieved similar results; but of course FPII is useless in the sun and the OP/OC combo doesn't seem to be effected at all.

Thanks guys.
Old 06-04-2006 | 10:21 PM
Safety Car

Jackie, thanks for the info. I'll probably do a mix sometime during the week and check it out on the weekend, hopefully.
Old 06-06-2006 | 07:46 PM
Cogito Ergo Idiot

Outstanding work! I appreciate the info on the process - that might be my first attempt at a cocktail. Thanks...
Old 06-06-2006 | 09:12 PM
Pro

well it certainly looks a heck of a lot better in the afters. vanilla moose, love the smell!

my problem is i have clearkote, poorboys, klasse, and just got a zaino kit. decisions, decisions.

Dave
Old 06-11-2006 | 03:39 PM
1st Gear

jackieo lots of lip

to bad you didn't take the after pics from the same angle you took the befores???
I can get the same results from turtle wax!!! now about diamond gloss the product isn't snake oil or smoke in a mirror when applied by ZIEBART DETAILING
for 300.00 or so and reapplied for the 149.00 what a deal thats about .80 cents
a day and about forty cents a day on renewal!! I can think of better things to do on a saturday than wax a car,oh yeah and it last a year or more!! and looks better
dirt than your car clean!!!
Old 06-11-2006 | 03:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jj920
to bad you didn't take the after pics from the same angle you took the befores???
I can get the same results from turtle wax!!! now about diamond gloss the product isn't snake oil or smoke in a mirror when applied by ZIEBART DETAILING
a day and about forty cents a day on renewal!! I can think of better things to do on a saturday than wax a car,oh yeah and it last a year or more!! and looks better

You know if you gonna come here to bash someone... then at least make sure that people can understand what you are trying to say.

Jacko, car looks great!
Old 06-11-2006 | 04:12 PM
That's Racist

Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
You know if you gonna come here to bash someone... then at least make sure that people can understand what you are trying to say.

Jacko, car looks great!
I can't agree more with sellout's statement.

If you're going to bash, please @least make sense.. just a little bit; despite the fact that your statement (from what I could gather) is absolute garbage. Troll f'real...

The car seriously does look awesome though. I need to get myself a polisher
Old 06-11-2006 | 04:45 PM
Senior Moderator

WTF

Mental note: don't use Ziebart Detailing.

Car looks great, BTW.
Old 06-11-2006 | 04:52 PM
Safety Car

to bad you didn't take the after pics from the same angle you took the befores??? I can get the same results from turtle wax!!!
Proof is in the puddin'! Got two words for ya, SHOW ME!
now about diamond gloss the product isn't snake oil or smoke in a mirror when applied by ZIEBART DETAILING for 300.00 or so and reapplied for the 149.00 what a deal thats about .80 cents a day and about forty cents a day on renewal!! I can think of better things to do on a saturday than wax a car,oh yeah and it last a year or more!! and looks better dirt than your car clean!!!
Dude, for your first post, you got the cajones to slam somebody about an opinion. You can either ignore it or take it to the bank. Most of the folks appreciate the tips, info and insight from JackieO as well as from some of the other pro detailers. The members here are serious how their vehicle looks and take pride in their detailing skills, be it on a weekend or weekday. If they need info or assistance, they ask and they usually get a reply.

If you're happy with the Ziebart product, that's cool. How about some Pros/Cons about it. Speaking of Turtle Wax, why didn't you use it on your car instead of Diamond Gloss. It's cheaper than $.80/daily.
Old 06-11-2006 | 06:44 PM
Senior Moderator

First of all, try learning how to write properly and ppl might take you a little more seriously. Secondly, bashing someones work, especially someone as good as JakieO, is not going to fly too well around here. Thirdly, I think it is pretty clear everyone can see through the BS you wrote in your first post on AZ. Keep up the good work pal .

Nomination for the Ban Games.
Old 06-12-2006 | 10:38 AM
Burning Brakes

So you're an advertiser for Ziebart, huh? Cool; I'm sure you make lots of money selling your terrible product to suckers. Luckily most of the folks on this site are smart enough to realize products like Diamond Gloss, Xzilon, Glaze, etc... are all marketing with zero results. They're just high durabiltly sealants that need to be re-applied every 6 months same as Zaino, and all that for 100x the cost. What a deal!

As for my pictures; the sun moves. Besides, it's impossible to hide defects in full sun like in my afters. Maybe you can show me how to hide swirls on a shot like this?

Cheers.
Old 06-12-2006 | 10:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Oh, I wanted to edit but can't. Anyway, the owner of that NSX was *SO* unimpressed by the results he had me detail his friends NSX too.

Unfortauntely they were both so appalled by the job, they told me to go detail their friends Maranello 550.

Shame they didn't all get Ziebart!
Old 06-12-2006 | 06:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Not to knock Ziebart because they did a good job on my tint.
Old 06-16-2006 | 07:56 PM
Burning Brakes

I did a couple more NXS's the last few days. Here's a pic that should satisfy even the most skeptical troll.