Swirls

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 10:05 AM
TSXRCR22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swirls

I have just purchased a brand new 2007 Acura TSX. The car is Nighthawk Black. I have had it waxd by the dealer when I purchased it. Upon arriving home I noticed some light scratches on the car. I believe they can be buffed out. The dealership said they would wax it again for me. I had a spolier put on last friday and wince it was raining all weekend I did not have it waxed yet. On Sunday, which was the first day I had to really look at my spoiler, I noticed that they had scratched my car during installation. I noticed this because I washed it for the first time. I told the dealership I would be in this week and would show them then.
My question is, what do I do about the swirls after I wash it. I do not do circular motions while washing it, and since I use the Mr. Clean car wash there is no need for drying. Any thoughts? Would the Meguiars spray on wax work? What other types of problems are going to arise? Thanks for your input.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:08 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
First of all, the Mr. Clean is a marketing hoax for a true die-hard detailer. Black is a terrible color to keep clean but it is beautiful when clean. For swirls you will need a fine polish/swirl remover. I use Meguiars brand and when I wax/polish I NEVER do it in a circular motion - always linear. Remove residue with microfiber towels. Plus, the 'detailers' at dealers are not interested in getting car perfect - just gettin' it done.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Swirls are inevitable but can be minimized using correct techniques as well as having the proper tools and products. Refer to this thread written by Exceldetail. Another source of info can be found at Autopia's How To Library. IMO, the best thing to do is to remove swirls prior to applying any type of protection. Wash & Wax products provide only minimal protection and do not have the durablility and longevity compared to other sealants/waxes. My recommendation is to do a complete detail that will provide the necessary protection for the painted surface.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:22 PM
they go wooooot wooooot

wax is a protection, not something that will fix your swirls. you need to look into the porter cable 7424 or like models and some chemicals dedicated to swirl removal. through a combination of product and pads, the porter cable dual action buffer will eliminated your new car swirls. at this point, you can look into sealants and/or waxes. at that point, you can practice correct washing/drying techniques to reduce the amount of swirls introduced to your tsx.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:20 PM
TSXRCR22

Bambo,
What type of pads do I need? Since my car is brand new I should use a sealant? or wax? If wax so I use a paste or spray? I apologize about these questions. I know they sould like a three year olds questions but I want to ensure I wash and upkeep my car properly now. I love my car and want it to shine all of the time. Thank you for your help.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:38 PM
Safety Car

Whoa, slow down guy! Let's take this one at a time. . . .
Pads - (excerpt from TOGWT)
Polish / Cutting Pad (*Yellow) A harder more dense foam composition (40 PPI ) with an abrasive cutting action, for use with a medium abrasive polish, Machine Polish 1 or 2, Swirl Mark Remover, or Autoglym Paint Renovator Polish (Speed number 4-5)

Polish / Light Cutting Pad (*Orange) A mid range, high density foam composition (60 PPI) with a medium abrasive cutting action, for use with a Swirl Mark Remover, Pre-Wax Paint Cleaner, Klasse All-In-One, or Autoglym Super Resin Polish (Speed number 4)

Polish / Waxing Pad (*White) Asofter less dense foam composition(70 PPI) with a light abrasive cutting action, for use with a Swirl Mark Remover, Pre-Wax Paint Cleaner, Klasse All-In-One, or Autoglym Super Resin Polish (Speed number 4)

Finishing Pad (*Black) An ultra-smooth foam that has no abrasive cutting ability (80 PPI) for use with Klasse High Sealant Gloss, Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection, Zanio Z-2 or Z-5 or a Glaze (Speed number 3)
Sealants/Waxes - Excerpt from Car Care Research Guide
Synthetic waxes and sealers are, without question, the easiest shine and protective products to apply, use and maintain. Most synthetic waxes come in a liquid form, which is the easiest wax type to put on your finish and buff out. Because of their slick and durable properties, these polymer-based waxes form their shine without much effort required to buff the dry wax.

The outstanding feature of synthetic wax is the longevity of each coat. Unlike its natural wax counterpart with a 6-8 week lifespan, synthetic wax gives your vehicle a cool 6-9 months of protection.
FWIW, I think the consensus here favors synthetics over natural waxes. I hope this gives some insight about car care products. As far as product choice, it comes down to a personal decision. Several factors to consider; 1) ease of use 2) does the product meet your expectations? 3) Are you satisfied with the results?
Old 03-19-2007, 03:49 PM
TSXRCR22

That def helps. The only question I still have is what order to do everything.
Is this Correct. I know I have read it somewhere in this site but cannot find it again.

1. Wash car (meg NXT Generation)
2. Apply Paint Cleaner (Meg Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner and Scratch X)
3. Apply Polish (Meg Deep Crystal Polish)
4. Apply Sealant (Meg NXT Gereration Tech Wax) Synthetic wax

???????
I have always been happy with the outcome of Meguiars. If you know or can think of anything better please I am all ears.

Also I am purchasing a PC 7424. Will the Sonus polish pad kit SON-SFX-PAD-KIT work for the polish pads you mentioned above or will I need more/defferent ones?

Thank you for all of your help.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:55 PM
Instructor

scratch X won't remove but only will hide the marring. buy polish with some cut in it to remove marring. Meg is a good company but the true defect correction is possible only with their professional lines, not "over the counter" products.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Integraboy22
That def helps. The only question I still have is what order to do everything.
Is this Correct. I know I have read it somewhere in this site but cannot find it again.

1. Wash car (meg NXT Generation)
2. Apply Paint Cleaner (Meg Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner and Scratch X)
3. Apply Polish (Meg Deep Crystal Polish)
4. Apply Sealant (Meg NXT Gereration Tech Wax) Synthetic wax

???????
I have always been happy with the outcome of Meguiars. If you know or can think of anything better please I am all ears.

Also I am purchasing a PC 7424. Will the Sonus polish pad kit SON-SFX-PAD-KIT work for the polish pads you mentioned above or will I need more/defferent ones?

Thank you for all of your help.
Integra, if your going to remove those dealer swirls, your going to have to find a decent polish. The ones you mentioned above are really for the average Joe, who is just looking to spruce up his car. But as mentioned, a Porter Cable 7224/7336 SP is really your first step in swirl elimination. My advice? Save up some cash for a PC, then we can start addressing your immediate needs of swirl removal. Do it right, not twice.
Theres a lot of experienced detailers/enthusiasts here who can do everything but "do it for you". We all want the same goal, the absolute best looking paint of the road.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:38 AM
TSXRCR22

ExcelDetail,
I guess I need to know which product is the best then. I was on the phone with Autopia last night and they e-mailed me a list of everything I need. They mentioned the polisher 7424, SFX-2 swirl remover, Klasse All-in-One, and the P21S Carnuba wax. Is this the best product or would you recommend something different. I need to get an order in so I can clean my car this weekend. Any advice? I thought a Polymer was better than a carnuba? When I asked her that question she said the Klasse is the Polymer and the Nuba is just for a protective cover??
Old 03-20-2007, 09:42 AM
Former Sponsor

ExcelDetail,
I guess I need to know which product is the best then. I was on the phone with Autopia last night and they e-mailed me a list of everything I need. They mentioned the polisher 7424, SFX-2 swirl remover, Klasse All-in-One, and the P21S Carnuba wax. Is this the best product or would you recommend something different. I need to get an order in so I can clean my car this weekend. Any advice? I thought a Polymer was better than a carnuba? When I asked her that question she said the Klasse is the Polymer and the Nuba is just for a protective cover??
Thats a good recommendation, however I dont find any use for the AIO mentioned. AIO protection is minimal, as are most in an all in one type of product. Youve got the swirl remover, any oils remaining will be ok with a Nuba.
I would (personally) stear you away from a Nuba, and go straight to a polymer, and call it done. I dont really find a whole lot of benefit in covering a Poly with a Nuba. I would much rather see one put two layers of Poly, vs. one Poly, 1 Nuba. It just makes more sense to me.
But, theres no sense in really talking about swirl removal products until you get a PC!
Im tellin ya, thats the first step! In the meantime, just keep her sealed up! I'll be on the phone today with Porter Cable to see about getting them added to my site.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:12 PM
TSXRCR22

I purchased the PC 7424 last night. I need a pad kit. Any recommendations? Would like a kit that comes with all the pads I need to completely detail my car. Can you wash the pads after use? I know you should not mix pads with different chemicals but how do you clean them, or do you just purchase new ones each time?
Also I have had mixed messages about the Meg Scratch X. What do you think about it? What type works best for you?
I am glad I found this site because I have learned more in a week than in my whole life. I never knew that car care was so in depth.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:46 PM
Safety Car

Send a PM to Exceldetail or check out the Erasure pads on his site. He has some different pad packages and may have what you specifically need. The erasure pads are great and have had no problems with them.

I still have a half a tube of Scratch X I use from time to time. I currently have and use several different polishes with varying degrees of abrasiveness. Now, I'll go to them first before the Megs. Mainly the Four Star Body Shop SRP (Spot Repair Polish).
Old 03-20-2007, 12:53 PM
Former Sponsor

I purchased the PC 7424 last night. I need a pad kit. Any recommendations? Would like a kit that comes with all the pads I need to completely detail my car. Can you wash the pads after use? I know you should not mix pads with different chemicals but how do you clean them, or do you just purchase new ones each time?
Also I have had mixed messages about the Meg Scratch X. What do you think about it? What type works best for you?
I am glad I found this site because I have learned more in a week than in my whole life. I never knew that car care was so in depth.
Great, now your ready! I already have assembled a pad kit for you that should encompass the ability to completely detail your new car. All you need to do is add a backing plate, and polishes, sealants, maybe some clay......
As for the ScratchX, you have a PC. ScratchX (Original) was really made for quick scratch repairs by hand. Theres much better available when your using a PC, the doors have opened for you!
There isnt any problem using the same pad(s) for different products. Just wash thoroughly, and let drip dry, away from heat and direct sun. E-commerce sites will tell you to use different pads for different products so you buy more! NONSENSE. The pads are fully washable, just dont use solvents or aggressive all purpose cleaners. A little laundry soap or Charliesoap massaged into the pores is all you need.

Last edited by exceldetail; 03-20-2007 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:12 PM
TSXRCR22

ExcelDetail,
Thank you for all of your help I will be ordering those products soon. I was unsure about a few things. The polishes comes in a set with all four correct? I know they are all different, but do I use all of them? If I just use one which one? As for the sealant, your recommendation is the 845 Insulator Wax? Again thank you. Now all I need is to know the order in which I do it and to do it!!
Old 03-20-2007, 02:13 PM
TSXRCR22

Also do I need any type of Paint cleaner or Pre wax cleaner?
Old 03-20-2007, 02:14 PM
TSXRCR22

If I were to go to a place like Pep Boys and get Polish, Wax, and Sealant, what should I look for as far as stuff like ingredients and so forth??
Old 03-20-2007, 03:16 PM
TSXRCR22

I made a mistake I believe I purchased the PC 7336. Does that mean I do not need a backing plate? Different pad kit?
Old 03-20-2007, 04:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Same machine, just a different BP, actually slightly heavier which is perfect for the #6 BP. Neither machine comes with a flexible BP.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:19 PM
TSXRCR22

Excel,
Also do I need any type of Paint cleaner or Pre wax cleaner? If I were to go to a place like Pep Boys and get Polish, Wax, and Sealant, what should I look for as far as stuff like ingredients and so forth??
Finally can you direct me in the right way as far as which BP, Pad Kit and so forth like yo did earlier unless they are the same as you recommended earlier.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:14 PM
TSX

Excel,
Also do I need any type of Paint cleaner or Pre wax cleaner? If I were to go to a place like Pep Boys and get Polish, Wax, and Sealant, what should I look for as far as stuff like ingredients and so forth??
Finally can you direct me in the right way as far as which BP, Pad Kit and so forth like yo did earlier unless they are the same as you recommended earlier.
you should just order your stuff from Patrick, he's got quality stuff

www.exceldetail.com
Old 03-20-2007, 10:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Excel,
Integra, paint cleaners, and pre wax cleaner (same thing) are used basically as a paint prep for sealants and Nubas. They are normally abrasive free, hence "paint cleaner" and not "polish". There main function is to clean the surface of any light contaminants with chemicals. As far as quick detail kit at Pep Boys, about all Im familiar with are the 1-2-3 punches put out by megs and Mothers. They're both decent, although nowhere near what enthusiasts prefer, here and elsewhere. Good for the once a year enthusiast. I really havent purused the aisles of a Pep Boys or Walmart in quite some time. Ive heard decent things about the Ice product put out by Turtle Wax, and in another forum, they're favoring the Black Magic items. For under $25.00 or so, Im sure you could get set up in pretty quick time, and be able to offer us an opinion if thats a route you should wish to take......?
Old 03-21-2007, 08:06 AM
TSXRCR22

Originally Posted by exceldetail
As far as quick detail kit at Pep Boys, about all Im familiar with are the 1-2-3 punches put out by megs and Mothers. They're both decent, although nowhere near what enthusiasts prefer, here and elsewhere. Good for the once a year enthusiast. I really havent purused the aisles of a Pep Boys or Walmart in quite some time. Ive heard decent things about the Ice product put out by Turtle Wax, and in another forum, they're favoring the Black Magic items. For under $25.00 or so, Im sure you could get set up in pretty quick time, and be able to offer us an opinion if thats a route you should wish to take......?
I am going to order all of my product through you, not at Pep Boys. I was just curious about their product.
Will I need a paint cleaner. If so point me in the right direction. Like someone said I want to do it right not twice!!
Old 03-21-2007, 12:50 PM
Advanced

I have just purchased a brand new 2007 Acura TSX. The car is Nighthawk Black. I have had it waxd by the dealer when I purchased it. Upon arriving home I noticed some light scratches on the car. I believe they can be buffed out. The dealership said they would wax it again for me. I had a spolier put on last friday and wince it was raining all weekend I did not have it waxed yet. On Sunday, which was the first day I had to really look at my spoiler, I noticed that they had scratched my car during installation. I noticed this because I washed it for the first time. I told the dealership I would be in this week and would show them then.
My question is, what do I do about the swirls after I wash it. I do not do circular motions while washing it, and since I use the Mr. Clean car wash there is no need for drying. Any thoughts? Would the Meguiars spray on wax work? What other types of problems are going to arise? Thanks for your input.

black car=
Old 03-21-2007, 04:01 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am going to order all of my product through you, not at Pep Boys. I was just curious about their product.
Will I need a paint cleaner. If so point me in the right direction. Like someone said I want to do it right not twice!!
I found this video helpful when I first started using the PC. The top video shows you proper techniques
Old 03-21-2007, 09:42 PM
TSXRCR22

Originally Posted by lembowski
I found this video helpful when I first started using the PC. The top video shows you proper techniques
Where is the video??
Old 03-22-2007, 09:44 AM
Safety Car

Where is the video??
Kyle, the video is located here about the middle of the page. Another video can be found on this page in the section titled "Polish Info & Videos". You might also visit Roadfly and read the article Porter Cable for Beginners. There are several other tutorial available.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:57 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Where is the video??
Sorry, I thought I posted the link......oops

http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/video/pc.html
Old 03-22-2007, 11:10 AM
TSXRCR22

Thanks that video is extremely helpful. I am just a little nervous. I just do not want to make it any worse, I mean what happens if the swirls do not come out or get worse? Or even if there is marring left on? Guess I just have to man up and do it and stop being a baby about it.
Thank you