help: zaino left some swirls

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2002, 08:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help: zaino left some swirls

I just applied 2 coats of z5 to my black CL, and it seems to have left some swirls on the hood. I'm pretty sure I didn't apply too much pressure when removing it, certainly not enough to have rubbed into the clearcoat. It was a *very* hot day though, so I decided to skip the two drops of flashcuring agent.. Could this possibly have caused the problem? My question is, what's the best way to remove zaino from the car? I'd rather not use dawn again, but since it's only the hood that has the swirls I figure maybe I could just use dawn on the hood, wash the whole car with my usual carwash, and then carefully reapply a coat of z5 to the hood.. What do you people think? Any suggestions on removing the swirls?

Also, what brand/type of applicator do you all use to apply your zaino? I think using the same applicator as I already used would probably be a bad idea since it's got old zaino on it.. Help and suggestions appreciated...
Old 06-30-2002, 07:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Zaino does not cause swirling. Two things could be the culprit

1) The swirls were always there. Putting on Zaino just magnifies the problem.

2) Your applicator pad or whatever you remove the Zaino with is causing the scratching.

Enlighten us on what you use to apply Zaino and what you use to remove it. I suspect your removal method is the culprit.
Old 06-30-2002, 09:40 PM
Intermediate

to apply it i'm using a terry-cloth sewn in two halves, almost identical to the one that i got with my first purchase of zaino except this one has a thin sponge sewn inside it.

to remove, i'm using 100% cotton yellow flannel towels, folded over 2-3 times, and removing in straight lines, back and forth... on the top surfaces i go lengthwise up the length of the hood/trunk, and on the sides i go vertically from top to bottom, bottom to top...

i'm worried that the swirls might be in the clearcoat itself, but this didn't happen the first time i used zaino. the first time i used it, i applied 2 coats of z5 and a coat of z2, and the finish was flawless. this time around, it's really truly horrible. the whole hood and trunk are swirled. i'm hoping it's just the polish coat and not the clearcoat, because it's really really bad.

btw: what would be the best way to strip off the zaino? a friend of mine said that he tried to remove zaino with dawn dishwashing liquid and it didn't work too well...
Old 07-01-2002, 08:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by 02cl_blk
btw: what would be the best way to strip off the zaino? a friend of mine said that he tried to remove zaino with dawn dishwashing liquid and it didn't work too well...
Only way is to either use rubbing alcohol or an abrasive like 3M SMR.

Couple of suggestions:

1) I highly recommend foam applicator pads. They use much less product than terry cloth applicator pads.

2) I would ditch the flannel towels. The best thing I've used are microfiber towels. If you want, shoot me an email and I'll give you some sites that sell really good ones.
Old 07-01-2002, 07:13 PM
Intermediate

Okay, after closer inspection, it isn't really swirls in the clearcoat as much as it is just remnants of the z5 that haven't cured. i try to wipe them away but it just kind of smears and gets pushed around. now, mind you, it's been around 24 hours since i applied it and it hasn't set, although my mistake was that i tried to remove it already before it had set. it *has* been *extremely* humid here the last few days which is probably why it's acting strangely, and i might have applied too much to begin with... so, will these greasy remnants eventually set and i'll be able to buff them away like normal, or am i looking at some other procedure for getting rid of these remainders?

also, i did ditch the yellow cotton towels in favor of more fieldcrest white towels which i'm going to use, but it's uselss right now as all it would do is just move it around on the surface... do i just wait patiently and it'll eventually set?
Old 07-01-2002, 09:37 PM
Advanced

Wash the car with Z-7 and you should be fine. Or if you have the Z-6 gloss Enhancer, you can use that. but I would personally wash the car with Z-7.

The first time I used Z, after 24 hrs, it still hadn't hazed over, and I thought I was putting it on thin at the time. I needed a huge change of mind-set.
Old 07-04-2002, 03:47 PM
Intermediate

breathing a sigh of relief

just a follow-up on this whole mess... i took the car for a decent highway drive in the hot sun, and afterwards washed it under a carport using Z7. i'm happy (and relieved) to say that the swirls are completely gone. as soon as this damn humidity drops off i'm going to give it another quick wash, clay it (bought mother's claybar on sale the other day) and then wash again before going for another coat of Z5 and a coat of Z2.

but anyway, thanks for the Z7 wash tip. it did wonders with a fieldcrest towel and some extra attention to the swirled spots.

(oh, a side question.. do any of you know where to get those little lights that clip onto the dash, which flash when they detect a cellphone signal/tower in the area...? i looked all through pepboys and found nothing...)
Old 07-08-2002, 12:48 AM
Cruisin'

LISTEN IF YOU WANT TO FIX SWIRLS

I am a professional detailer at an acura dealer and the trick removing swirls is swirl remover which you can find some places but the best agent on the market is a finishing machine compound made by the 3M company called Finesse It. It can be found at napa or carquest and other auto part retailers with a little looking around but it will cost you a pretty penny for the large size bottle at around 75 dollars i believe. Apply the compound using a cloth baby diaper (never scratches paint) from walmart or somewhere by placing a little on the rag and rubbing in a small circular motion to fix swirls after adding about 40% mix of a regular wax to the compound which creates a less abrasive material to work with. Let sit for 20 minutes and then slowly using a different dry baby diaper remove the wax and finesse it. This is something that i do on a frequent basis at work and it is fantastic at removing spots.

Also taking a some portion of Finesse It will remove scratches and has an excellent record in my book of doing so. It may be machine compound but it works great at rubbing out scratches if you are gentle.

Any more questions most me a message,

Bryant
Old 07-08-2002, 07:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Re: LISTEN IF YOU WANT TO FIX SWIRLS

Originally posted by bdheilig
Apply the compound using a cloth baby diaper (never scratches paint) from walmart or somewhere by placing a little on the rag and rubbing in a small circular motion to fix swirls after adding about 40% mix of a regular wax to the compound which creates a less abrasive material to work with. Let sit for 20 minutes and then slowly using a different dry baby diaper remove the wax and finesse it. This is something that i do on a frequent basis at work and it is fantastic at removing spots.
Why are you still here? Have you ever heard of a rotary or orbital polisher. I seriously doubt you are removing many of the swirls doing this by hand. You reliaze that FI has a ton of fillers and that all you are doing is filling the swirls. One good car wash and all the swirls are right back. Of course you would know that being an ACURA PROFESSIONAL DETAILER. I just love saying that.
Old 07-08-2002, 03:21 PM
Broke youngster :(

Re: LISTEN IF YOU WANT TO FIX SWIRLS

Any more questions most me a message,

Bryant [/B][/QUOTE]

OMG not only is he a PROFESSIONAL ACURA DETAILER, is he a KOBE BRYANT wannabe