Quixx scratch repair system

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 02:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Quixx scratch repair system

It finally happened, on a personal level. My wife who works in a salon, takes the Expedition every day, to a crowded parking lot, and is left with whatever spot available to park in. So she comes home one day last week with this 2ft long scratch on the rear left side of our Expedition. I thought, "Well, maybe its just a transfer". So I got some QD just to clean it up and further analyze it. To my dismay, nope, its a scratch. I fig'd it was from a side mirror, obviously from some idiot who doesnt now how to drive, and probably doesnt even speak english. No note to apologize even. I mean even an anonymous, "sorry" would have been a little settling. Then I remembered, "Hey good opportunity for the Quixx German Scratch Remover System". So, without futher ado, heres my own experience with Quixx GSRS.

It has been a while since the Expedition has been washed, and todays probably not a good day due to local brush fires. Theres a decent amount of fallout from a fire 60 miles away. The winds have switched allowing ample ash fallout at my local. So a quick gentle dry wipe with a MF (Your wondering why "dry wipe?" Ashes and water dont mix, it reactivates the caustic properties of ash fallout).
Heres some befores:

First up was the Polish One (as directed). I took the included wipe they provide, added a fingernail size drop, and proceeded to apply in the same direction as the scratch, until the product hazed/dried, and couldnt rub in, any more. Probably 10-12 seconds of back and forth motion. Polish One is the most agrressive of the two, for deeper scratches. Then wiped with a MF. Here you can see the differences between Polish One, and the untouched 1/2.

It really cleaned up the scratch rather well I would say! Polish One is not something you would want to use over a large area. Its really aggressive!
I wanted to stay as close to directions as possible, but couldnt bring myself to wiping with the other side of there provided cloth. It just seemed a little rough for removal, although certainly would have peformed well. Its just a personal pet peeve of mine I guess.

Next up, as directed, Polish Two, a much thinner, gentler polish, required for removing and marring which Polish On may leave, and it will. But dont be alarmed, its easily removed with the second step polish. I used the same technique as Polish One, except a used a little more then I wanted to, but theres no putting it back in, so away I went with Polish Two.

After Polish Two removal:

Heres an interesting picture. This is the second half of the scratch, after only using Polish Two. Its about 95% gone, with the single step, Polish Two. You would really have to know there was a scratch there to begin with, to even notice.

So as you can see, quite a versatile scratch removal kit. You have two polishes. One polish (Polish 2) for very light scratches, and one polish (Polish 1) for heavier, non apologizing, idiot induced scratches. Keep in mind, using Polish One will require using Polish Two to reduce marring.
And heres the final product:

Sealed up with Duragloss #111.

In summary, Quixx Scratch Removal System is a great product for quick fixes, and unsuspected scratches. We all get them, but few know how to properly address them. This German company has brought it to America to address a need that really hasnt been properly "pitched". Clear, concise directions, attractive bottling/tubing of products, includes wetsanding paper for the real tough ones, or for *rock chip repairs.
For rock chip repairs, clean chip, apply touch up. Let dry thoroughly, then use wetsanding paper, Polish 1, and Polish 2. Its really that easy. The hard part is not applying too much touch up. This will be my next venture on my own car (again). But giveme a few weeks to tackle that one. Its detailing season!
Old 08-04-2007, 06:23 PM
All go, no show

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ Quixx was just rated #1 for scratch removal in this month's Consumer Reports.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by PenguinQX
^^ Quixx was just rated #1 for scratch removal in this month's Consumer Reports.
Its really a "Scratch Remover" unlike the Mothers and Megs products, it is a complete kit.
Thanks for adding that in Penguin!
Old 08-04-2007, 08:33 PM
Racer

Yeah, I just read about it in the latest issue of Consumer Reports too. Quixx was by far the best product but it was also by far the most expensive. You get what you pay for I guess.

I noticed Consumer Reports gave some car care tips too in the issue. All pretty good except they recommended drying the car with terry towels. I'm sure there will be readers that will go out and buy the cheap terry shop towels at Target and mar up their finish.

Excel, you should write them and teach them proper drying technique.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:44 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just ordered some so i hope it comes soon, i have a few i would like to tackle.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:11 PM
Racer

exceldetail:
I just recieved my Quixx system today; my POLISH 1 is like a paste which is normal, my POLISH 2 is very watery. Is that normal?
Old 08-20-2007, 08:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BAPE head
exceldetail:
I just recieved my Quixx system today; my POLISH 1 is like a paste which is normal, my POLISH 2 is very watery. Is that normal?
Yes, as far as I can tell. Give it a good little shake. Thats the reason I used too much. I was expecting it to be similiar to #1, which obviously wasnt the case. And too much came out, but theres no putting it back once its out of the tube..........
Do a write up and let us know YOUR findings.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:23 AM
Pro

can this be found at my local autozone or should i order online?
Old 08-25-2007, 09:52 AM
Former Sponsor

I think someone mentioned thay had it at Wallymart...............
Old 08-29-2007, 10:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
I bought it direct from their website, and they ended up sending me 2 kits for the price of one, and a bigger bottle of their wax.

I used it for a few scratches on my S2k, I must say that I'm very impressed with the results. A few of the scratches were VERY deep and I wasn't in the mood to wetsand it, I think I got a little carried away when I started to see blue on the cloth. It did a great job of removing the scratches. The only different thing that I did to what you did, was rub on the polish in a circular motion as directed, not rubbing in the direction that the scratch was in.

Overall, VERY VERY good stuff, highly recommended!
Old 08-30-2007, 09:17 AM
10th Gear

Talking Found some local...

I'm in CT... and I have nooooooooooo patience when it comes to shipping lol

Soooooooo Pep Boys has it, it's on sale for $14.99 until 9/1

Peace Bretheren...

OH OH OH... Quick Question... what's a good moderately priced wax, and what should I apply it with... nothing too exotich, since again I don't want to have it shipped to me lol
Old 08-30-2007, 10:06 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Called my local pepboy's and its $14.99 here also.....
Old 08-30-2007, 05:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Oh, thats just terrific! And they told me the retail should remain at $19.99! I think I have a call to make!
Old 08-30-2007, 06:36 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Originally Posted by 05TLBlack&Tan
I'm in CT... and I have nooooooooooo patience when it comes to shipping lol

OH OH OH... Quick Question... what's a good moderately priced wax, and what should I apply it with... nothing too exotich, since again I don't want to have it shipped to me lol
Carquest/Autozone may have Collinite 845. Put it on with a foam applicator from Autozone and take it iff with a GOOD MF towel (may have to get the towel online).

Get the towels online tonight from Pat, order with superfast shipping, and get the wax from him too (or get the wax this weekend, and you should get everything arriving in the same day!
Old 08-30-2007, 10:00 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
damn I wonder if they sell these in Canada, in the Vancouver BC area....my TL has so many scratches and "black dots" which I couldn't get rid of.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:31 AM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Maybe you just need a good clay and polish?
Old 08-31-2007, 12:33 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

ah..so that's what clay can do...hmm...I will do a search and see which clay and polish are good then. Thanks for the advice!
Old 08-31-2007, 01:03 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

hmm..they don't seem to sell these in canada.....how does Quixx compare with Nu doctor and other scratch removal products?
Old 08-31-2007, 09:01 AM
10th Gear

I'm going to wash, quixx, and wax for the 1st time

This weekend, buuuuuut according to consumer reports (Harsh Bastards lol)

They love the stuff correct?

Bry
Old 09-04-2007, 08:01 PM
Make MyTL Great Again

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This past weekend I decided to clay my car for the first time ever and while I was at it I figured now was the best time to fix some rock chip damage I had to my paint. I had a few spots with exposed metal and possible rust formation, so I used some 400 grit sandpaper to clean the spot out, then some 1000 grit paper. Then I applied 1 coat of touch up, let it dry, sanded with 1000 grit, 2nd coat, sanded with 1000 grit, 1 coat of clear coat. Afterwards I was left with some nice ugly scratches/white areas around the rock chips due to the sanding. I was hoping that I would be able to get rid of them with a scratch remover, and I read about Quixx in this forum, so I thought I would give it a try.

I followed the instructions, wet sanded with 1000 girt, then the included 3000 grit, then used step 1 and 2. I am amazed how great this product works. Yes I know the paint doesn't match and still looks crappy...but certainly not as bas as it used to. The pictures on the left are after the last sanding, and the right is after steps 1&2.

BTW, I picked it up from my local Wal-Mart for 14.93. Two local Pep-Boys and an AutoZone didn't have it.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:48 AM
10th Gear

Mine worked wonders this weekend too, my question is... if I look closely with that "it's my car and I can spot imperfections in a heartbeat stare"

I can still see where I wet sanded, it is just realllly well hidden by the megs nxt wax and the 2nd stage quixx, did i completely ruin the paint? lol whoops, @ least it's not noticable to the naked eye...
Old 11-11-2007, 09:47 PM
Burning Brakes

I will have to try out this product probably as soon as tomorrow since I got a new scuff in my rear bumper from unloading something
Old 11-15-2007, 02:36 PM
10th Gear

I just used Quixx to remove a scratch on my door that ScratchX wouldn't touch. I sanded with the included 3000 grit (which scared me all to hell), then used tubes 1 and 2 and the scratch was gone.

This stuff is awesome.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Dupree
I just used Quixx to remove a scratch on my door that ScratchX wouldn't touch. I sanded with the included 3000 grit (which scared me all to hell), then used tubes 1 and 2 and the scratch was gone.

This stuff is awesome.
Dangit, its replies like this that make me want to restock it!!
Old 01-10-2008, 02:01 AM
Racer

I was very convinced to buy Quixx and ready to buy.

Then I called Xzilon. Xzilon recently applied coating paint protection, and they told me that using any kind of scratch removal system will damage the coating and also void the warranty.

I know I should not have purchased Xzilon in the first place. But, what to do now to remove a few minor scratches?
Old 01-10-2008, 07:29 AM
Former Sponsor

You really dont have a choice do you!?
Its either live with the scratch and the few months protection Xzilon provides, or remove the scratch, and reapply a protectant, and be happy............Im curious as to what they charged you for the Xzilon though.....
Old 01-10-2008, 08:13 AM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
Since you can purchase xzilon on ebay for under 20bucks.... I'd think dealers would charge 200bucks.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Im thinking closer to $450.00 or even higher...
Old 01-10-2008, 10:34 AM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
that's a great deal if i dont say myself

lol..
Old 01-12-2008, 09:10 PM
Racer

This is what my problem is: I should have joined this forum and done my research before buying my car.

-I paid good $995 for the Xzilon, with 3-year warranty I can;t believe it.

I guess I am gonna have to live with it..

The way the dealer put it was: It would only add $ 15 a month on my installments, but I would get such a "great" protection".
Old 01-20-2008, 06:25 PM
Race Director

how good does this work? i may give it a try
Old 02-12-2008, 02:48 PM
Racer

I have a few scratches that ScratchX won't touch. I am disappointed, since the scratches are very light even when I take pictures, I can hardly see them.

Will Quixx No. 2 work better than ScratchX? Quixx No. 1 seems to be very strong, and I don't wanna ruin the so called Xzilon "paint protection".

I can't feel the scratches with a finger nail.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:38 AM
ASM 3G TL Type-S

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
“Quixx, a must have for any detail oriented enthusiast”, this product works GREAT! I had a thread a while back pertaining to deep scratches that mysteriously appeared in my 05 TSX, I followed the directions which consisted of a couple layers of touch up paint, followed by a vigorous wet sand, polish 1 followed by polish 2. The results were well worth $20 bucks, I was initially hesitant in sanding down my actual clear coat, but the polish rejuvenated the shine and took out all the scratch’s left from the wet sanding. I also tried it on my MDX, around the door handle where there were a lot of finger nail scratch marks my mother left behind; I used the same process wet sanding lightly and polishing those scratches also came out fantastic.

Just to add, I have never felt a polish ‘finishing wax’ that smooth ever, I had a buddy over a little later on who couldn’t stop touching the door my MDX, he wanted to buy Quixx and do his whole car, he even gave me money to purchase a set for him.

Quixx if you haven't already tried it, what you waiting for.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:06 PM
ASM 3G TL Type-S

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I am not sure if excel or somebody else could help me out with this, but after wet sanding all three family vehicles, I ran out of the sandpaper that came with the Quixx set?

can anybody confrim is it 3000 gritt?
Old 03-05-2008, 09:03 PM
T-Swzy

http://www.quixxusa.com/steps

it's 2500 grit. btw, would it be crazy to spray some clearcoat on after sanding down the touch up, then using quixx on it?
i also found 3000 grit to be more readily available, is that a better choice? or is 3000 simply not gritty enough to cut down the touch up?
Old 05-25-2008, 02:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Razzi
http://www.quixxusa.com/steps

it's 2500 grit. btw, would it be crazy to spray some clearcoat on after sanding down the touch up, then using quixx on it?
i also found 3000 grit to be more readily available, is that a better choice? or is 3000 simply not gritty enough to cut down the touch up?
I just bought a bottle and it states its 3000 grit, it is on the back of the box.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Quixx is good stuff. I wish I still carried it, but with WalMart carrying it for cheaper, I see no sense. maybe I will change my mind and have it as a add along, for the cart for those who want it when purchasing other items......