No Orbital Polisher....

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 11:35 AM
Living the Dream

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts
No Orbital Polisher....

I am coming up soon (end of Aug) on my next detail and just have a few questions:

1. I clayed last time I detailed (May) would you recommend doing it again? (I was hoping to clay every other detail)

2. I've seen it mentioned here before, but I am not 100% sure where, that some people use a paint cleaner only on the "dirty" parts of their car. Is this okay, or do you recommend going ahead and doing the whole car?

3. Between #1 and #2, would doing both be overkill?

4. I've never used polish on a car before and do not have an orbital polisher. How much "force" should I use when polishing? I know it's all relative, but would a force similar to when I wax be good? (I have read directions to go in a back and forth motion, so at least I know that much)

For the future, if/when I do get an orbital polisher, do you think a local detailer would mind showing/teaching me how to use it correctly? Reading directions and actually doing it are two completely different things.

Thanks for any help
Old 07-18-2006, 11:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
when i detail my cars, i clay every 6 months so i don't overkill. As for the buffer, you apply no pressures and the weight of the buffer will be perfect for the machine to spread the wax.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:40 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cmschmie
I am coming up soon (end of Aug) on my next detail and just have a few questions:

1. I clayed last time I detailed (May) would you recommend doing it again? (I was hoping to clay every other detail)

2. I've seen it mentioned here before, but I am not 100% sure where, that some people use a paint cleaner only on the "dirty" parts of their car. Is this okay, or do you recommend going ahead and doing the whole car?

3. Between #1 and #2, would doing both be overkill?

4. I've never used polish on a car before and do not have an orbital polisher. How much "force" should I use when polishing? I know it's all relative, but would a force similar to when I wax be good? (I have read directions to go in a back and forth motion, so at least I know that much).

For the future, if/when I do get an orbital polisher, do you think a local detailer would mind showing/teaching me how to use it correctly? Reading directions and actually doing it are two completely different things.

Thanks for any help
1. Semi-annually will be fine.
2. If your'e doing an entire detail then I would say the whole car. There are some instances when you do need to spot clean. Just follow up with your favorite sealant/wax.
3. Doing both every other month is overkill, IMO.
4. This will depend on the severity of the defect. Removing swirls by hand is a long, tedious and tiresome process. I would highly recommend a buffer. For spot corrections like hazing or minor scratches, a light pressure will do.
5. Using a buffer, for example, a Porter Cable (PC) is really foolproof. There are many tutorials available and basically each one will convey the same idea. I'm sure if any member of the AZ family who is familiar with the PC and located reasonably close will be more than happy to offer tips. As for the PC references: Porter Cable for Beginners, How To Use A PC 7424, Dual Action Polisher and Dual Action Polishing Guide.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I used my orbital buffer for the first time about a week ago. Nothing to it really. Like was mentioned above, just use the weight of the buffer and do back and forth. I was really please. I also have the SSM.