Klasse sealant

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 10:59 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Klasse sealant

sorry if this is a noob question, but i tried searching and didn't really find a definitive answer, but can klasse sealant be applied using a PC 7424xp?
Old 04-24-2012, 01:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by 1blwn_accord
sorry if this is a noob question, but i tried searching and didn't really find a definitive answer, but can klasse sealant be applied using a PC 7424xp?
Anything can .. BUT with the Klasse SG its not advisable .. too much waste and it needs to be applied thin and to small areas at a time.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:09 PM
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts
I also feel like i waste too much product when applying wax with the PC, so i'll be applying by hand next time
Old 04-25-2012, 04:23 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
This question always divides opinion

Machine application will usually result in a thinner product application but will use more product
Old 04-25-2012, 06:07 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
OP-go to autogeek.net they have application methods for the klasse products on their site. and as others have said...thinner application is better. otherwise it's a b!tch to take off.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:33 AM
Suzuka Master

If you do apply by PC be very careful and use the correct pad .. I have had to correct 2 cars already that were dry polished from using the wrong pad and too little SG on that pad.

My technique is pretty simple.

In order to apply SG using wipe on, wipe off, you should do the following:

1. Take a new yellow foam applicator and mist it with distilled water.

Squeeze the applicator as much as you can so that most of the water is gone. All you should have is a slightly damp applicator. This will make the SG more pliable.

2. Apply a couple of drops of SG to your applicator and apply it to a section of your car (1/3 of the hood, half of the roof, etc) in a circular motion. Once you have covered the whole section with SG, immediately wipe off the residue with a MF towel that has been lightly misted with distilled water. Wipe off in front to back motion.

3. Repeat step 2 for every section until the whole car is done.

Notes:
- As mentioned before, wipe the SG off immediately, no dry time is necessary. If put on thin the SG flashes nearly immediatly unless the temperature is low or high humidity. If you feel you need to allow more time to dry but it MUST be dry before using the removal method below. Myself I don't apply to the whole car and then remove for a couple of reasons. 1) You might find the process tiring and not be able to finish in one day. 2) If not in a protected area you risk having dust or pollen fall on the car before the removal step.

- The SG should wipe off very easily leaving behind a slick, smooth, and glossy finish.

- You should use no more than 1oz. of SG per coat on a regular size car (BMW 3 Series, Mercedes-Benz C-Class)

- Only perform step 1 one time, before applying SG to the first panel. You do NOT need to spritz your applicator with water before applying SG to each section. Once you apply SG to a couple of sections the applicator will be wet enough with SG, negating the need for more water.

-Do not use any QD to aid in removal of SG. This will / may cause the klasse SG to develop an oily haze/film down the road. I've also experienced this.
- To remove the SG just lightly mist a M/F towel with water ( I use distilled water ) and wipe the SG off. Just a misting or 2 on the towel is enough for a panel.

-Wait AT LEAST 24 hours before applying another coat of SG. SG needs time to cure and bond to your paint surface.
The following users liked this post:
1blwn_accord (04-25-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 12:51 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^thanks for the tips. i use the klasse twins on all the cars at my house. only my TL has had multiple layers of the SG put on (over the course of a week).

how many layers of SG would you say is "good"?? i've read 3 is ideal before the point of diminishing returns, but have heard of people using more layers (like 6).

i love the slick glossy shiny look the klasse twins give. been using them for a few yrs now.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
^^thanks for the tips. i use the klasse twins on all the cars at my house. only my TL has had multiple layers of the SG put on (over the course of a week).

how many layers of SG would you say is "good"?? i've read 3 is ideal before the point of diminishing returns, but have heard of people using more layers (like 6).

i love the slick glossy shiny look the klasse twins give. been using them for a few yrs now.
Hell I had 11 layers of Zaino on my Passat at one time ... on the TL there was 4 layers put on last spring then I added 4* UPP a few times after that for extra pop and depth.

But your right .. deminishing returns after 3 or 4 in the looks department but I don't think anything deminishes with layers as far as durability is concerned.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:00 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^well, i got a bit OCD over the winter doing the TL's spa treatment and put 5 layers of SG. then nxt gen on top fo that. i recently got the natty's blue carnuba after reading some glowing reviews on it for dark colored cars. used it on the tailgate of the MDX...gotta say it really added some depth (first detail since a respray).

what's been your experience as far as real world durability with the klasse twins??
Old 04-25-2012, 01:02 PM
Suzuka Master

^^well, i got a bit OCD over the winter doing the TL's spa treatment and put 5 layers of SG. then nxt gen on top fo that. i recently got the natty's blue carnuba after reading some glowing reviews on it for dark colored cars. used it on the tailgate of the MDX...gotta say it really added some depth (first detail since a respray).

what's been your experience as far as real world durability with the klasse twins??
Probably as good as if not better than Zaino ... better than anything else I have used ... all depending on how you treat it ..

BTW watch NXT .. it has cleaners in it and may take off some of whats below it,.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:09 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

i read that about next gen too. but even the meg's guys don't really know if the cleaners in it are enough to really do anything.

what would you recommend for a synthetic "wax" on top of the Klasse twins that is reasonably priced/bottle (say $20-25 range)?? for dark colored cars of course. the silver accord still glows regardless of what i seem to put on it.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:13 PM
Suzuka Master

i read that about next gen too. but even the meg's guys don't really know if the cleaners in it are enough to really do anything.

what would you recommend for a synthetic "wax" on top of the Klasse twins that is reasonably priced/bottle (say $20-25 range)?? for dark colored cars of course. the silver accord still glows regardless of what i seem to put on it.
I use Four Star UPP ... .. really brings out everything .. very easy to use too .. safe over SG and the durability is "ok" but I don't use it for that.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:17 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
If you do apply by PC be very careful and use the correct pad .. I have had to correct 2 cars already that were dry polished from using the wrong pad and too little SG on that pad.

My technique is pretty simple.

In order to apply SG using wipe on, wipe off, you should do the following:

1. Take a new yellow foam applicator and mist it with distilled water.

Squeeze the applicator as much as you can so that most of the water is gone. All you should have is a slightly damp applicator. This will make the SG more pliable.

2. Apply a couple of drops of SG to your applicator and apply it to a section of your car (1/3 of the hood, half of the roof, etc) in a circular motion. Once you have covered the whole section with SG, immediately wipe off the residue with a MF towel that has been lightly misted with distilled water. Wipe off in front to back motion.

3. Repeat step 2 for every section until the whole car is done.

Notes:
- As mentioned before, wipe the SG off immediately, no dry time is necessary. If put on thin the SG flashes nearly immediatly unless the temperature is low or high humidity. If you feel you need to allow more time to dry but it MUST be dry before using the removal method below. Myself I don't apply to the whole car and then remove for a couple of reasons. 1) You might find the process tiring and not be able to finish in one day. 2) If not in a protected area you risk having dust or pollen fall on the car before the removal step.

- The SG should wipe off very easily leaving behind a slick, smooth, and glossy finish.

- You should use no more than 1oz. of SG per coat on a regular size car (BMW 3 Series, Mercedes-Benz C-Class)

- Only perform step 1 one time, before applying SG to the first panel. You do NOT need to spritz your applicator with water before applying SG to each section. Once you apply SG to a couple of sections the applicator will be wet enough with SG, negating the need for more water.

-Do not use any QD to aid in removal of SG. This will / may cause the klasse SG to develop an oily haze/film down the road. I've also experienced this.
- To remove the SG just lightly mist a M/F towel with water ( I use distilled water ) and wipe the SG off. Just a misting or 2 on the towel is enough for a panel.

-Wait AT LEAST 24 hours before applying another coat of SG. SG needs time to cure and bond to your paint surface.
sorry i quoted the whole process, but I finally figured out where i've been going wrong. the SG dried before I decided to wipe off which made it a b!tch to take off. quick question which pad should i use if i want to use the PC? i dont really care too much about wasting the SG.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 1blwn_accord
but I finally figured out where i've been going wrong. the SG dried before I decided to wipe off which made it a b!tch to take off. quick question which pad should i use if i want to use the PC? i dont really care too much about wasting the SG.
No ... the SG HAS to dry before you wipe it off .. When I say immediatly I am saying that if applied as thin as it supposed to be applied the SG will flash "dry" by the time you have applied it to the area your working on based on it being applied by hand.

Black pad I think .. I never use them.

Last edited by Jesstzn; 04-25-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:05 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

yes, you can use the black pad.

OP- work one panel at a time. SG dries fairly quickly. you can work two panels then go back to the first panel and buff. i usually just do one panel at a time. better yet get a helper and let them buff. the process will go faster.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 151 Likes on 145 Posts
I think you are better off using a blue pad.
The black Lake Country pad still has fine cutting qualities to it.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:14 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

no cutting in the black pad.

cutting only in the yellow (most aggressive), orange and white (light cutting).

the finesse/sealant pads are black, blue and red (i believe). black is a denser foam than the blue, and red is a bit softer.

so...if anything you might want to use the klasse AIO with the white pad then the SG with the black or blue pad. f/b your LSP on a red pad.

or just do it all by hand.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 151 Likes on 145 Posts
I'm not much of a Klasse user.

I prefer meguiar's products.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:39 PM
Chapter Leader (Midwest Region)

Received 784 Likes on 558 Posts
I just ordered the twins tonight. I purchased them along with the Optimum Hyper Polish Spray that I will be trying out also. This will be my first time with a buffer so I got products that are very user friendly. I plan on using the polish with either a light cutting pad or a white polish pad and then doing the AIO by hand or with a green pad, and SG by hand. LSP will be Optimum Car wax or a carnuba wax that I bought from a local company (name escapes me right now). I will be borrowing a friends (thanks Swoosh or Steven Bell) PC 7424xp.

Can't wait to get these products in. My paint is in very good condition with only minimal swirl marks and hardly any scratches. Hopefully these products can take my WDP to the next level like Dales gorgeous car, but I have a feeling its not going to come close.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:09 AM
Advanced

No ... the SG HAS to dry before you wipe it off .. When I say immediatly I am saying that if applied as thin as it supposed to be applied the SG will flash "dry" by the time you have applied it to the area your working on based on it being applied by hand.

Black pad I think .. I never use them.
am i applying too thick of a layer? could that be a possible reason why I'm having trouble buffing it off?
Old 04-26-2012, 11:10 AM
Advanced

wait nvm. i re read your whole step by step process and it seems you wipe off with a MF slightly misted with DI water.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:11 PM
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts
^waiting too long to wipe off?
Old 04-26-2012, 02:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Hell I had 11 layers of Zaino on my Passat at one time ... on the TL there was 4 layers put on last spring then I added 4* UPP a few times after that for extra pop and depth.

But your right .. deminishing returns after 3 or 4 in the looks department but I don't think anything deminishes with layers as far as durability is concerned.
Dale, you should try opti coat....... why? Because I'd really like to see what the paint would look like if you applied 11 coats of it, LOL.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:15 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jwr0ng626
^waiting too long to wipe off?
i was thinking that might be the case, its just when i go to wipe off with a mf towel, it just takes a lot of elbow grease to really buff it all off. Hopefully by using a MF misted with DI water will help