Clay!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007 | 02:16 PM
TSXRCR22

Clay!!!!

What is clay? Is it like wax or polish? Why do you need to do it? When and how often do you need to do it? I feel like an idiot asking this question. I feel like I am so out of the loop. All I ever did to my old car was wash and wax it. Reading al of these threads there was so much more I needed to do. Well I purchased a brand new car a week ago so this can be a brand new start at keeping it clean as well.
Be Nice
Old 03-19-2007 | 02:32 PM
Bagel Bomber

http://autopia.org/forum/guide-detai...-cleaning.html
Old 03-19-2007 | 02:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Ya didnt have to go to far..........
Old 03-19-2007 | 03:16 PM
Safety Car

Automotive clay is a petroleum resin product (polybutene) that contains abrasives. And it's not same type nor does it have the same characteristics as those sold in art supply stores. A claybar will remove paint over spray, tree sap and industrial fallout from the vehicle's painted surface. It will also remove brake dust and rail dust protruding from the painted surface in addition to removing previous layers of wax. This process ensures the surface is as smooth as glass.
Old 03-20-2007 | 03:42 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Even new cars that have been setting on a car dealerships lot for a few weeks can accumulate contamination that bonds to the paint surface; don't assume a vehicle that looks good is contamination free. Acid rain, road salt, tree sap and airborne contaminants are very detrimental to a vehicles paint film surface. Brake dust or rail dust are very small, almost microscopic particles of steel, iron or their alloys. These particles carry a positive charge (due to friction) while the vehicles they land on are carrying a negative charge. The vehicle surface becomes a magnet, attracting and bonding the ferrous metal particles to the vehicle surface.

Regardless of how clean you think your paint is there are still bonded contaminants on the paint that you need to remove before pre-wax cleaning, polishing or applying a protection to your paint film surface. Use Automotive Detailing Clay to remove; road dirt / grime (bitumous tar, grease, tire rubber), bug debris, bird excrement, tree resin (sap) rail and brake dust, paint over spray, hard water (mineral) deposits, industrial fall-out (IFO) road salt (small particles become imbedded and bond to the surface) and acid rain

a) Does my paint surface require the application of detailer’s clay? – is the paint surface showing one or more of the following; coloured or yellow stains, water marks (spots) black metallic coloured flecks, a rough texture, etch marks (concave depression) oxidation, bug or bird excrement, place some saran wrap or a zip lock bag over your hand (‘bag test’) and rub across the finish lightly. Every snag you feel is a surface contaminant that the clay bar can remove but you may not be able to see (especially on white or light coloured vehicle surfaces.

b) How often you need to clay depends on your environment and how you maintain your car see ‘bag test’ above. I f find the need to use detailer’s clay on a regular basis use a mild clay

Using automotive clay- to remove surface pollutants and abrade the debris from the paint film surface leaving behind an ultra-smooth surface that will make your paint protection adhere better and improve its durability. You can use detailing clay on any smooth, hard surface, including glass (exterior) to remove heavy road film, bug deposits and water spots, and chrome. Do not use on clear plastic, such as headlight lenses as it may cause ‘fogging’. The best way to describe the proper method for using detailer clay is to use plenty of the lubricant and aquaplane the clay bar over the surface in straight-line motions, in the direction of airflow and using light hand pressure, you should hear a slight noise and feel some resistance; this is the contaminants being abraded.

Inspect the clay surface often and fold (knead) clay to present a clean surface to the paint to avoid scratching; when the clay surface becomes really soiled (it becomes more difficult to find a clean surface by kneading, discard and use fresh clay. Do not over use a clay bar; expect approximately 5-10 uses from a single, 8 oz. bar
Old 03-20-2007 | 08:08 AM
TSXRCR22

What is the best clay to get, or which one would you prefer? What type of lube should I use? Does the Lube depend on the clay?
Old 03-20-2007 | 09:33 AM
Former Sponsor

There use to be a lot of clay to choose from. Bu the strings on production have been tightened,and nearly all of it comes from the same manufacturer. You can get kits at your local car parts store, which include maybe a 60gm bar, as well as a lube (nothing more then a QD), or you can buy larger bars.
Old 03-22-2007 | 08:27 PM
steve a

Clay is great. I used it on a 12 yr old car, and the results were remarkable. I had people ask me if I just had it painted and were surprised to hear that it was the original paint. I have used clay on several cars. One thing that cannot be stressed enough--clay only after the car was just washed, keep the surface damp with lubricant, clay only back and forth, do not use to much pressure or force---really just let the clay's weight do the work, and keep the clay kneeded and clean. Otherwise noticeable minute scratches will occur. Do clay. After waxing, the results give the paint great depth and feels super smooth.

Last edited by sdafins; 03-22-2007 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-22-2007 | 08:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sdafins
Clay is great. I used it on a 12 yr old car, and the results were remarkable. I had people ask me if I just had it painted and were surprised to hear that it was the original paint. I have used clay on several cars. One thing that cannot be stressed enough--clay only after the car was just washed, keep the surface damp with lubricant, clay only back and forth, do not use to much pressure or force---really just let the clay's weight do the work, and keep the clay kneeded and clean. Otherwise noticeable minute scratches will occur. Do clay. After waxing, the results give the paint great depth and feels super smooth.
Well said!