This has always worked for me

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 09:55 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This has always worked for me

How to clean your engine

For really dirty engines (cars with high mileage/usage) spray degreaser liberally on the firewall, valve cover, and anywhere else there
is heavy soil. It is okay to spray the engine with water, but try to cover the alternator and ignition coil, wires, etc. Also dry it off with compessed
air or a terri towel (or even an old chamois) and let it dry for a bit (depends on temp) if you don't want to get it wet then use a damp cloth with a degreasing
cleaner (Simple Green, or Castrol SuperClean work very nicely), let it sit, then spray with soapy water
in a spray bottle, and wipe off the excess.

If you wipe your engine bay and top of hood down with a rag every time you wash your car, you will not need to worry about
cleaning your engine ever again (unless your engine spews oil)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to restore your paint to like new condition

Materials needed:

1. A clay bar
2. Lubricating spray (e.g. Mothers Showtime or product equivalant)
3. Paint cleaner, or paint polish (e.g. Meguires Clear Coat Body Scrub or product equivalant)
4. A high quality automotive wax.

Using the clay bar

It is important to work a small section at a time. Make sure your paint is cool to the touch. After washing and drying
your car, spray the lubricating spray liberally on a portion of the body panel you wish to begin with. Work the clay bar in one
direction across the surface. This process should be smooth. If you feel any friction on your paint, spray
with more lubricating solution. When you look at the bar you will most likely see dark specs on the bar. This signifies
all the unseen particles that adhere to your paint. When one area of the clay bar has been darkened significantly, knead
the clay bar and use the clean side. If you accidently drop the clay bar, throw it away, as with any product you use on your
paint. When the portion has been 'clayed' wipe with a clean terri towel to dry excess lubricating spray.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using paint cleaner or polish (optional)

Use the same way you would use a car wax. Make sure the paint is cool to the touch, and preferably in a shaded
area or garage. Work one body panel at a time. Apply the wax in a circular motion using a foam or terri pad or towel.
Once the wax has 'hardened' wipe or buff off with a terri towel.

After completing the paint cleaning process, you are ready for a high quality carnauba wax. Use the same way mentioned
above, or follow manufactures directions for optimum results.

Old 10-22-2003, 11:08 PM
Advanced

Are you the real Wilford Brimley?
Old 10-23-2003, 04:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
He can't be. He's not grumpy enough.
Old 10-25-2003, 08:18 PM

Thanks for the post, very informative post Mr Brimley. I'll try that air compressor dry off, but my neighbors are gonna want to me!