Bringing out the "pearl"

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 12:19 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bringing out the "pearl"

Is there any way to bring out the pearl in my WDP better? ..other than using wax/polish products?
Old 05-20-2004, 09:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
You obviously need to get to as close to the look, as when it left the factory. And you cant do that unless you remove any oxidation, contaminants etc....And you cant get there unless you use a polish....So, to answer your question, NO.
You could alwyas try a QD.....Thats as close as you can come without any labor....
Or, you could take it to a detail shop, tell them no hi speed polishers, then maintain your baby frequently.....
Old 05-20-2004, 09:15 AM
Need a WHAmbulance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by `ill*tl
Is there any way to bring out the pearl in my WDP better? ..other than using wax/polish products?
White is the hardest color to try and get a really deep shine/gloss too. White paint is literally the hardest of the paints, black being the softest.

That is why a lot of people think white paint is boring. Not much you can do with it. Being WDP does add some depth to the look but not much else we can do.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:47 PM
Banned

Damn..thats what I figured.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Dare_IL
White is the hardest color to try and get a really deep shine/gloss too. White paint is literally the hardest of the paints, black being the softest.

That is why a lot of people think white paint is boring. Not much you can do with it. Being WDP does add some depth to the look but not much else we can do.
I dont know about white being harder then black, that may be true of domestics vs. imports though....I find Mercedes paints extremely soft...
Old 05-25-2004, 09:56 AM
Need a WHAmbulance

Originally Posted by exceldetail
I dont know about white being harder then black, that may be true of domestics vs. imports though....I find Mercedes paints extremely soft...

This is what I based my comment on.

In 1822, an Austrian scientist by the name of Fredrick Mohs created a scale from 1 to 10, for measuring and determining hardness. Hardness refers to the measure of resistance a surfaces has to abrasion. Talc is rated at 1 while a diamond is rated at 10.

Titanium dioxide, the substance used as pigmentation in white paint, is rated at 7 on the Mohs scale. As far as pigments go, titanium dioxide is very hard. By contrast, black paints, (single-stage), are soft. The pigment used to make paint black is Carbon black, which has a Mohs hardness rating of 2.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:30 PM
Banned

exceldetail, would Meguiars ColorX product help bring out the pearl? I have almost every single wax/polish that Meguiars has produced..but just found the ColorX product on the shelf today. Is it worth purchasing? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:37 PM
Former Sponsor

In 1822, an Austrian scientist by the name of Fredrick Mohs created a scale from 1 to 10, for measuring and determining hardness. Hardness refers to the measure of resistance a surfaces has to abrasion. Talc is rated at 1 while a diamond is rated at 10.

Titanium dioxide, the substance used as pigmentation in white paint, is rated at 7 on the Mohs scale. As far as pigments go, titanium dioxide is very hard. By contrast, black paints, (single-stage), are soft. The pigment used to make paint black is Carbon black, which has a Mohs hardness rating of 2.
There just arent many manufacturers using single stage paints these days, however i have ran across a few new Lexus's which are single stage...Kind of weird...In my opinion, base color coats and clear coats offer way more protection....
Old 05-25-2004, 09:42 PM
Former Sponsor

exceldetail, would Meguiars ColorX product help bring out the pearl? I have almost every single wax/polish that Meguiars has produced..but just found the ColorX product on the shelf today. Is it worth purchasing? Thanks in advance.
As for ColorX bringing out the pearl, your best bet is to get the clear as clean as you can, and your first step naturally after a wash is to clay the surface.....A great product for a QD that I have used on my paints surface that brings out the pearl in my Driftwood is Clearkotes Quickshine.....clearkote.net.
Excellent glazes, carnaubas, and cleaner/waxes, really really good.....
Personally, im a Polymer man, my makes of choice would be Blackfire, Platinum (now Fourstar), and Wolfgang a distant 3rd.....What yr is your car ???
ColorX in my opinion is an excellent cleaner/polymer........
Old 05-25-2004, 10:23 PM
Boom goes the Dynamite

I still believe that nothing brings out the look that you desire like a good carnuba wax. I use Griots Best of Show. All of the polymers will give you longer protection but still not the look.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by I'm Batman
I still believe that nothing brings out the look that you desire like a good carnuba wax. I use Griots Best of Show. All of the polymers will give you longer protection but still not the look.
I dare to compare ! Give Wolfgang or Blackfire, Platinum a shot.....Not even S100 can beat the look.......
Old 05-26-2004, 09:30 AM
Instructor

combos

My Acura is Antharcite but I had a pearl white Maxima so I can speak from experience...Excel is right if you can't really see the pearl then your missing the clarity in your finish. A good chemical cleaner like AIO or Meguair's Deep Crystal Step one will help to remove that. The benefit with white is swirls show up much less than a darker color. Once you have cleaned the paint you can go the sealant or carnuba route - or both. I use a sealant in multiple layers (3 is usually the best ROI) and then top it with a couple layers of carnuba -

as to the hardness of colors - excel is right again - two stage is topped with clear so the hardness will depend on that - I have found Nissan and Acura paint to be "soft" and chip easily....

the mohs scale probably does not play into the hardness or softness of even single stage - I don't think there is enough titanium or mica in paint to affect that.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:07 AM
Need a WHAmbulance

ill*tl, unless you have really neglected or abused the paint on your car, I would say that it probably isn't in that bad of shape. Your car is 2 years old?

The pics I have seen of your car, it looks like you take really good care of it.

The worst part of a white car is we don't get the debt that darker color cars do, white reflects everything.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:14 AM
Drifting

:bowdown: Wow...

Old 05-27-2004, 06:16 PM
Banned

ill*tl, unless you have really neglected or abused the paint on your car, I would say that it probably isn't in that bad of shape. Your car is 2 years old?

The pics I have seen of your car, it looks like you take really good care of it.

The worst part of a white car is we don't get the debt that darker color cars do, white reflects everything.
Correct, like most members on here.. I have completely babied my car since day 1. Purchased back in Aug. of 2003..so not even a year old yet. But it just seems like it has lost that "glitter" in the paint. Maybe its just all in my head. :o :o I just purchased some Meguiars ColorX..trying it out this weekend. Will post pics+review of it.