**OFFICIAL RLX THREAD** Update p.14: Prod. car to debut in LA 11/28

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 10:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by TonyCD
As I have, among others of us.

....two models managed by sheer weight of goodness to carve out some name recognition for themselves anyway: the TL and the TSX.
The TSX is, of course, the Honda Accord for most of the rest of the world, so it has "cred" and is naturally competitive.

The TL got a name for itself with the 2G model -- which still looks good. The latest one is not without appeal, but went a somewhat different direction from its predecessor.

Goes to show that good cars can succeed in spite of the name.

Will the RLX be co-branded as a Honda Legend, or a unique model (a la the TL)?

For all the grief we give, I still have to think designing, developing, and producing a car is a heck of a lot of hard work. Yes, the marketers and brand positioners can mung things up (think current RL), but the engineering and manufacturing know-how that goes into a car seems pretty amazing if you stop to think about it (think current RL).

They are now pushing the envelope to point where AWD with electric motors is an interesting concept -- and one that has probably taken years to develop. It's a gamble.

Like it or not, Acura's lineup is ultimately the product of many constraints.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:39 AM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Originally Posted by oo7spy
But without a drive shaft, that power will never get to the rear wheels. He is asking how they plan to get comparable power to the rear wheels with the new system, and it sounds like they can't.
I agree that it does not seem that the dynamics will be comparable. Seems like in this new setup, the rear motors will mostly be used for torque vectoring. The good news is that electric motors have a flat torque curve.
Also, there won't be the high loses that we currently have in the AWD transmission.
The following users liked this post:
oo7spy (03-30-2012)
Old 03-30-2012, 12:08 PM
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by typeR
dont forget the third electric motor on the main engine
But without a drive shaft, that power will never get to the rear wheels. He is asking how they plan to get comparable power to the rear wheels with the new system, and it sounds like they can't.
Thats exactly my point. Without any drive shaft, all the gas engine's n (the 3rd motor's) power will go to the front wheels. This system will work much better on NSX's configuration which is opposite.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by HEAVY_RL
Most of us would just debadge it anyway.
I'd do it if I bought one. Or I'd REbadge it as "Legend" so that the guys further up the food chain at Acura would finally get it that they made an error in changing the name to something that the majority of the car buying public gives 2 (shutyomouth )s about.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:45 PM
Safety Car

How about a prize for first person to find and post a leaked pic?
Old 03-30-2012, 12:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
Originally Posted by M T L T L
Thats exactly my point. Without any drive shaft, all the gas engine's n (the 3rd motor's) power will go to the front wheels. This system will work much better on NSX's configuration which is opposite.
getakey brings up a great point. You are simply looking at the hp number and not the torque. IIUC, electric motors generate more torque than HP. You also have to be in the 6k RPM range to get the full 220 HP at the wheels with the current RL, and I don't know of many people that are hitting 6k RPM in the corners.

Originally Posted by getakey
I agree that it does not seem that the dynamics will be comparable. Seems like in this new setup, the rear motors will mostly be used for torque vectoring. The good news is that electric motors have a flat torque curve.
Also, there won't be the high loses that we currently have in the AWD transmission.

I'll give them my .

Old 03-30-2012, 12:57 PM
Safety Car

interesting
http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...cura-line.html

Does anyone have the torque curve for our current RL?
Looks like a 20KW electric motor can deliver 184 lb-ft of torque.
Would like to compare to the 70% delivered to rear in current SHAWD at reasonable rpm in corner as 007 suggests

Last edited by getakey; 03-30-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:19 PM
Senior Moderator

I'll see if I can find my Acurazine stickers.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:39 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If they add an X to RL ...
then they should remove the L from FLAGSHIP.

This is Honda beating a Dead Horse.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:47 PM
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
interesting

does anyone have the torque curve for our current rl?
Looks like a 20kw electric motor can deliver 184 lb-ft of torque.
Would like to compare to the 70% delivered to rear in current shawd at reasonable rpm in corner as 007 suggests
+1
Old 03-30-2012, 02:18 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by neuronbob
I'll see if I can find my Acurazine stickers.
How about a Mega Lotto ticket
Old 03-30-2012, 03:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 844 Posts
^^ I've got both...
Old 03-30-2012, 07:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 167 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob144
The TL got a name for itself with the 2G model -- which still looks good. The latest one is not without appeal, but went a somewhat different direction from its predecessor.

Goes to show that good cars can succeed in spite of the name.

Will the RLX be co-branded as a Honda Legend, or a unique model (a la the TL)?

For all the grief we give, I still have to think designing, developing, and producing a car is a heck of a lot of hard work. Yes, the marketers and brand positioners can mung things up (think current RL), but the engineering and manufacturing know-how that goes into a car seems pretty amazing if you stop to think about it (think current RL).

Like it or not, Acura's lineup is ultimately the product of many constraints.
Rob, I agree with you that good cars can succeed in spite of a poorly chosen name. I'm just saying that good cars shouldn't have to.

I'm not suggesting that Honda/Acura isn't making good cars; I love mine. My point is that those names don't have to be poorly chosen. Nothing is forcing Acura into the "constraint" of renaming the Legend (as it's still called everywhere but America) or the TL (a name they still own). Nothing, that is, except its executives' own bad judgment.

Grappling for a metaphor: Some of us may be forced by circumstances to carry a gun, dangerous and inconvenient as that may be. None of us has to voluntarily put the barrel in our own mouth and pull the trigger.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:40 AM
RLX SH²-AWD

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
Smile

Hey guys, was I right or what ! Holy cow, I can't believe I was right. Damn, am I psychic or what ! ha ha LOL

By the way, I think a Moderator should make a new sub-forum for the Third Generation RL (aka RLX) soon. So, then all these discussions and threads about the new 2013 RL/RLX can go under the new sub-forum. Right ?

Once the NY Auto Show happens, I am sure there will be lots of new threads about the new RL/RLX and they will be in the current second generation RL forum, unless someone creates the Third generation RL/RLX forum.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
"Acura officials last year told Inside Line that the RL replacement will be:
- larger than the current car
- will have best-in-class legroom, combining the cabin space of a BMW 7 Series sedan with the agility of a 5 Series
- seven-speed dual-clutch transmission.

The SH-AWD hybrid system also gets a high-performance lithium-ion battery and will provide "acceleration equivalent to V8 engines, as well as fuel efficiency equal or superior to inline four-cylinder engines," the company said."

We'll know more April 6th!
Old 04-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Instructor

Correction, we'll know more when American Honda Motor Co., will introduce the concept vehicle at a press conference held on April 4, 2012 at 1:50 PM (EST) in the Acura booth
neuronbob (04-01-2012)
Old 04-01-2012, 05:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 167 Posts
Originally Posted by vhdoshi
Hey guys, was I right or what ! Holy cow, I can't believe I was right. Damn, am I psychic or what ! ha ha LOL

By the way, I think a Moderator should make a new sub-forum for the Third Generation RL (aka RLX) soon. So, then all these discussions and threads about the new 2013 RL/RLX can go under the new sub-forum. Right ?

Once the NY Auto Show happens, I am sure there will be lots of new threads about the new RL/RLX and they will be in the current second generation RL forum, unless someone creates the Third generation RL/RLX forum.
VH, the idea you suggested was frankly so random and off-the-wall, I was about to post the question of whether it was floated on this board as a trial balloon by someone directly or indirectly connected to Acura just to gauge our reactions.

Welllll...was it?
Old 04-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Countdown...three days to 3G RL

Originally Posted by mayflowerman
Correction, we'll know more when American Honda Motor Co., will introduce the concept vehicle at a press conference held on April 4, 2012 at 1:50 PM (EST) in the Acura booth
Thanks for the info, been looking for this.

As for the new "RLX forum", the admins will make that change after the official announcement, so not until later in the week probably, and depending on their schedule. I suppose it would be "RL/RLX" forum because the RLX is really the 3G RL.

VH, the idea you suggested was frankly so random and off-the-wall, I was about to post the question of whether it was floated on this board as a trial balloon by someone directly or indirectly connected to Acura just to gauge our reactions.

Welllll...was it?
Old 04-01-2012, 07:33 PM
Instructor

The press conference will be webcast live on www.acuranews.com. Press materials will be posted at www.acuranews.com immediately following the press conference.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:38 PM
Senior Moderator

interesting

Does anyone have the torque curve for our current RL?
Looks like a 20KW electric motor can deliver 184 lb-ft of torque.
Would like to compare to the 70% delivered to rear in current SHAWD at reasonable rpm in corner as 007 suggests
The top line to the left of the crossing and bottom to the right is the torque.

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-2005-2012-76/dyno-completed-today-baseline-runs-697144/

And Bob's thread, but his dyno sheet has been removed. What's up Bob?
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-2005-2012-76/m-003-my-rl-dynoed-part-2-post-mod-results-videos-pix-499256/
Old 04-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Safety Car

007 - thanks
Interesting, I didn't think the torque was that flat.
I must have the torque value wrong on the electric engine. Couldn't be that high (184) for a 26 hp motor
Old 04-02-2012, 02:55 PM
Safety Car

Hmm - I just read article on MB's hybrid and they do say the 20KW motor produces 184 ftlb (250 NM) of torque! I believe electric engine torque is max at 0 rpm, so full torque can be applied from dead stop. Can't wait for specs on the RLX

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2012...+Congress%2529
Old 04-02-2012, 05:12 PM
Safety Car

I don't remember seeing this before (sorry if repost)

http://blog.caranddriver.com/acuras-...ectric-motors/
Old 04-02-2012, 07:33 PM
RLX SH²-AWD

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Welllll...was it?

Hey Tony & Bob,

No, I am not a ninja, spy or troll. And I do not have any connection to Acura at all. It was just a lucky guess. I'm just an average joe who loves his Acura RL

It just suddenly came to me one day, and a lightbulb went off above my head. That's why I posted it as a question in the forum.

I can't wait to go to the NY auto show this weekend !!
Old 04-02-2012, 07:40 PM
Safety Car

Hey Tony & Bob,

No, I am not a ninja, spy or troll. And I do not have any connection to Acura at all. It was just a lucky guess. I'm just an average joe who loves his Acura RL

It just suddenly came to me one day, and a lightbulb went off above my head. That's why I posted it as a question in the forum.

I hope you can report back in detail with pics!!!
Old 04-02-2012, 07:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Countdown.....2 days to 3G Acura RL

And Bob's thread, but his dyno sheet has been removed. What's up Bob?
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499256
Damn you imageshack! I guess they deleted some images before I managed to pay. (They just started charging for anyone above 500 images and I paid rather than move my 1000 pics off the site. Booooooo Imageshack!) I'll find it and put it back up when I get a chance.

Hey Tony & Bob,

Pix or Seriously, have fun!
Old 04-02-2012, 07:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Hmm - I just read article on MB's hybrid and they do say the 20KW motor produces 184 ftlb (250 NM) of torque! I believe electric engine torque is max at 0 rpm, so full torque can be applied from dead stop. Can't wait for specs on the RLX

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2012...+Congress%2529
Electric motors put out much more torque than HP. The Fiskar Karma puts out like 900+ ft-lb or something stupid like that. I would rather have torque than HP any day.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Pix or Seriously, have fun!
Old 04-03-2012, 02:47 AM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
It is all marketing, fewer names, the more recognition by consumers. The consumer would be confused by the TSX, TL, RL so in their mind where does the RL fit and what goes inside the TL vs the TSX. What difference is there between the TL and the RL? So by badge simplification, you get a consumer that knows top and bottom of the sedans with IRX and RLX.

It is like owning a BMW vs a RL...to draw a comparison from a parallel...Iphone vs Android. Everyone has been sold on the BMW as THE car to own like an Iphone. The RL suffers from exposure *that can be both good and bad* Think of the RL as the Android in this scenario. The right marketing would push those sales through the roof as has Apple done with the Iphone.
Honestly, I don't want a BMW and I don't want an Iphone. I am happy with the RL we own and my Android works just as well as the Iphone for what I need it for and it was cheaper.

Over on my other BB we are discussing why FIAT hasn't brought over the new Alfa's for the dealerships that are here. It has been since 1995 that Alfa Romeo has pulled out of our market here in the USA. The company is selling cars all over the world bu here and have resolved many of the issues that were plaguing the marque. At least we are getting Acura's to buy and I still wait for the Alfa Romeo to show up. *sigh*
Old 04-03-2012, 08:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 193 Likes on 150 Posts
^^ Android phones outsell Iphones LOL But of course there are more different variations of Android phones that Iphones so you can sell more. i get what you're trying to say though. It does make sense for Acura to have all sedans as Blank-LX (ILX,TLX,RLX) and trucks as Blank-DX (RDX, MDX, ZDX) The names will just have to grow on us. TLX-S has a ring to it though
Old 04-03-2012, 07:39 PM
Safety Car

so, tomorrow is the news conference, right?
Old 04-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yep at 1:50pm, watch it via webcast.
tension is building!
Old 04-04-2012, 06:06 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ktrulez
yep at 1:50pm, watch it via webcast.
tension is building!
Will there be any avalable links posted here for the webcast? Me wants to seeeeee!
Old 04-04-2012, 07:11 AM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

Received 177 Likes on 99 Posts
2013 RL Teased on Fox today

Fox and Friends did a live spot this morning from the NYC auto show at the Acura space. The RL was on stage under a thin cloth cover. Did not show much, but the roofline and C-Pillar which were visible look to be strikingly similar to the all new 2014 Impala which is also there.

I will be at the show Saturday.

Curious how the new RL will be priced and fuel efficiency gains.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:15 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Widow Gen2
Will there be any avalable links posted here for the webcast? Me wants to seeeeee!
Originally Posted by mayflowerman
The press conference will be webcast live on www.acuranews.com. Press materials will be posted at www.acuranews.com immediately following the press conference.
Here you go.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:24 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BDoggPrelude
Here you go.
Reading>me.

Thanks, man.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:41 AM
Suzuka Master

I want my click back. . .
Old 04-04-2012, 08:50 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Post This was Posted @ CL w/ No Info

CFoote (04-04-2012)
Old 04-04-2012, 08:54 AM
Senior Moderator

C'mon 1:50 PM! Let's see some actual pix and specs!

PS All comments on the new 3G RL/RLX will be merged into this thread.
HEAVY_RL (04-04-2012)
Old 04-04-2012, 09:14 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Wink Thoughts

I assume that the rims will never make it to production but it is interesting how all the lines kind of come together in front of the side mirror area. They definitely tried to reduce the front overhang. Please let there be chrome door handles on some versions ....

Last edited by TSX69; 04-04-2012 at 09:17 AM.

Quick Reply: **OFFICIAL RLX THREAD** Update p.14: Prod. car to debut in LA 11/28