Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Thought about the new Palm pre?

Old 06-12-2009, 02:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,099 Likes on 5,171 Posts
Originally Posted by Kikaida
Do you think the increase in battery life is due to the novelty of the phone slowly wearing off, thus you are not playing around with it as much?
yeah thats exactly what it is. I know a couple of people with em and that's been their story about the battery power as well - first day you get it, of course you're playing with it non-stop, seeing all the features and having fun with it. Think about how often you "play with" your current phone. The first few days battery life is not an accurate indication of the regular battery usage on the device.

And, apps such as AIM and Bluetooth draining battery power is nothing new, this has been a staple of Treo usage since such features were available (on the 650) - it's just something you learn to manage over time - leave Bluetooth off unless you need it - and furthermore, if you do "need" it, assess the utility versus efficiency of having it, versus minimized battery life. On the more efficient AIM apps there is a mode where it leaves you online but sends you an SMS message when you get a message, as opposed to leaving the application running and live. So it's like, it leaves you logged on to AIM with SMS notification but it closes the app. You learn to be efficient with it, the more you use it.

AND, you can carry a spare battery around with you, if you want. AND, I would bet we will see a high-capacity battery coming out in the future, as battery technologies continue to improve, and costs come down.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by DC3328
i dont have that much disposable income for the touchstone lol

to turn off gps go to the last pane of your launcher, its in Location Services

i was looking for wallpapers online when i found this site everythingpre.com

good selection of wallpapers, they also have a store where they're selling the touchstone for 39.99 i think
Thanks dood. Keep us posted on any other wallpaper or ringtown swag. I was surprised at the limited selections of both although i'm starting to grow fond off the orange flower wallpapaper action. The ringer is still ghey though and i don't see the function to be able to manually record a new ringtone (I had the sound of my carrera's exhaust as my treo's ringtone).
Old 06-12-2009, 06:04 PM
Your Garage

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Np if anyone finds anything plz share!

I use one of my songs for my ringtone, you could record ur car on a laptop then transfer it to the phone
Old 06-13-2009, 06:03 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
A nice comparison video, I cant wait to get my hands on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICoNag4i7WA
Old 06-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I got the pre. love it as a phone alittle bit more than more bold right now, although it may still be because its so new. However, I will be returning within the 30, Because I....

HATE sprint. Service is horrid. I roam in a lot of places each means no data service. Unless something changes I will be waiting for verizon/AT&T pre.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Weird, i've never had problems with Sprint anywhere I've been.

BB 8830 here (until next week)
Old 06-15-2009, 08:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by quinto1025
I got the pre. love it as a phone alittle bit more than more bold right now, although it may still be because its so new. However, I will be returning within the 30, Because I....

HATE sprint. Service is horrid. I roam in a lot of places each means no data service. Unless something changes I will be waiting for verizon/AT&T pre.
Have you tried doing a PRL update like Vizi in post #115?

I don't know how to do it on Sprint, but on Verizon, you call *228.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:23 PM
Senior Moderator

weird, my experience is usually the opposite. many times i'll have service and my iphone peeps won't. and i laugh. haahahhahaha
Old 06-15-2009, 08:50 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,834 Likes on 2,576 Posts
And in LA my iphone usually has service where Sprint doesnt.
one big reason I dropped them.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:45 PM

Received 2,778 Likes on 1,979 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
And in LA my iphone usually has service where Sprint doesnt.
one big reason I dropped them.
yea it was the same for me when i had sprint and changed to at the time cingular.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:47 PM
Senior Moderator

well I guess if I ever come to visit you'll be laughing at me.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Frak I'm so irritated with the googlesync. I set up a gmail account and it imported my email but not my contacts or calender. I can't use palm desktop like i did with my treo unless i download a 3rd party ap which again works through google as a middleman. This is so annoying.

There's no sync function like in palm desktop to add/subtract programs from the pre. Do all aps have to be downloaded straight to the pre? I want to continue using my SplashID and Splash Shopping but those programs didn't move over when i did my data transfer through migrate-pre.

Anyone got the touchstone, yay or nay? Looks like 49.99 for touchstone and magnetic backing for the pre and i can use my original wall charger.

What about bodyguardz? Looks good but shipping out to HI is another 15 bones LOL.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
I want to get the touchstone

I like my pre alot..
Old 06-16-2009, 12:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by surfer rick
Frak I'm so irritated with the googlesync. I set up a gmail account and it imported my email but not my contacts or calender. I can't use palm desktop like i did with my treo unless i download a 3rd party ap which again works through google as a middleman. This is so annoying.

There's no sync function like in palm desktop to add/subtract programs from the pre. Do all aps have to be downloaded straight to the pre? I want to continue using my SplashID and Splash Shopping but those programs didn't move over when i did my data transfer through migrate-pre.

Anyone got the touchstone, yay or nay? Looks like 49.99 for touchstone and magnetic backing for the pre and i can use my original wall charger.

What about bodyguardz? Looks good but shipping out to HI is another 15 bones LOL.
I agree Rick. Not being able to sync over USB is absolutely ridiculous.

What is the issue you're having with google sync?

Did you add those accounts under contacts and calendar?

No touchstone or bodyguardz for me.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:01 PM
Suzuka Master

I agree Rick. Not being able to sync over USB is absolutely ridiculous.

What is the issue you're having with google sync?

Did you add those accounts under contacts and calendar?

No touchstone or bodyguardz for me.
Roja. I have google calendar as my default on pre and i've hit sync now numerous times but i wonder if it's just backing up to palm profile.

I wish i could still use palm desktop
Old 06-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Suzuka Master

OK so the original calendar events I imported from Palm Desktop went to my Pre. However, these events are not imported into google calendar.

New events inputted directly into my pre are synchronized with my google calendar.

Whisky tango foxtrot
Old 06-16-2009, 02:41 PM
The Third Ball

Sounds like Palm still hasnt figured out cross compatibility. One of many reasons I left them behind.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Sounds like Palm still hasnt figured out cross compatibility. One of many reasons I left them behind.
Srsly. Why not keep the palm desktop apps since it's still palm software? It would have made life a lot simpler for people transitioning from the Treo to the Pre.

Not being able to USB sync is retarded if you ask me

Pre users are basically forced to open gmail accounts as the alternative is to pay additional $$ for microsoft exchange.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:23 PM
The Third Ball

Srsly. Why not keep the palm desktop apps since it's still palm software? It would have made life a lot simpler for people transitioning from the Treo to the Pre.

Pre users are basically forced to open gmail accounts as the alternative is to pay additional $$ for microsoft exchange.
Aside from Treos million of other problems...their lack of direct mac compatibility was unforgivable. You had to buy a 3rd party app in order to do any worthwhile sync with Address book or iCal, which I much prefer over the palm software which was archaic at best.

Man, brings back a bad taste.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:34 PM
Suzuka Master

It might have been something with WebOS instead of WM or Palm OS.

I agree 100%. There is no reason they couldn't make WebOS sync via USB IMO.

I was forced to use my personal gmail account and google calendar sync on my work outlook to get my appointments on my Pre. Not something I wanted to do, something I HAD to do. Too much work as well. I tried to use Pocketmirror, however both the computer and phone need to be on the same wi-fi network. However, my work computer is connected via Ethernet.

On a different note. We should be seeing a update soon.
http://www.precentral.net/pre-firmware-update-two-weeks
Old 06-16-2009, 10:58 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
sooooo, the prefect phone is still out there waiting for us to find it....LOL.. my TP is a hell spawn to use...

I was talking with the MC the other night at a beauty pageant and it took him less than 5 secs to flip out his pre and zoom a pic for me on his Pre.... my TP would have still been licking the glass with its helmet on for a minute or two... I was impressed with the speed... but thats all I know...
Old 06-16-2009, 11:32 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
sht at a beauty pageant and it took him less than 5 secs to flip out his pre and zoom a pic for me on his Pre.... my TP would have still been licking the glass with its helmet on for a minute or two... I was impressed with the speed... but thats all I know...
uhhh, have you never seen an iphone before?
Old 06-17-2009, 11:57 AM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
uhhh, have you never seen an iphone before?
yessssssss , but the one I saw was alil buggy and sluggish... maybe they just had too many programs on it... i have no idea...
Old 06-17-2009, 12:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 06-17-2009, 02:45 PM
Suzuka Master

I was forced to use my personal gmail account and google calendar sync on my work outlook to get my appointments on my Pre. Not something I wanted to do, something I HAD to do. Too much work as well. I tried to use Pocketmirror, however both the computer and phone need to be on the same wi-fi network. However, my work computer is connected via Ethernet.
Werd. I created a gmail account specifically for the pre. Now email is forwarded to my pre which is nice (in the past my email pop server did not support PDA devices). However, gmail did not import my old email contacts, only the actual emails themselves LOL.

That being said, the speed and multi-apps capability of the pre are mindblowing. I'm so stoked that I can be on the phone, put the person on hold to answer a text, and google the time of a movie, all concurrently. Plus, the size of the pre is sooooo much better than the treo 755p. I don't have a huge oblong object jutting out of my front pant pocket.

I just ordered 2 hard cases for the pre. Will hold off on the Touchstone. Am trying to learn how to cut and paste text.

Rick, epocrates not available for the pre yet but they will be sending me an email alert when it is.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Suite. Figured out how to cut/paste text. It's cool I can highlight text with finger/shift button and can move the cursor anywhere on the screen with the orange button/finger.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:43 AM
Suzuka Master

My Pre's screen now shuts off , check that errrr it doesn't shut off, it just goes blank everytime I close the F-ing thing. only way to get it back is to restart the device. Build quality =

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qVzTVw62uPY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qVzTVw62uPY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

And a pixel on my top right corner of the screen has lost all color.

Between that, the poor battery life, and the shitty service with sprint, the Pre will be going back today before it gets anymore damaged from normal use.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:08 AM
The Third Ball

Sorry to hear that quinto.

Guess they really didnt learn anything from POS treos.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:37 AM
Suzuka Master

I'm just really disappointed. I figured for two company's that are slowing drowning this would be a way to keep them above water. This was NOT their life jacket.

I think WebOS will have a strong future once they fix the bugs and put it on a better built device.

anyways Going to the apple store today to get my water damaged iPhone replaced.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:54 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm just really disappointed. I figured for two company's that are slowing drowning this would be a way to keep them above water. This was NOT their life jacket.

I think WebOS will have a strong future once they fix the bugs and put it on a better built device.

anyways Going to the apple store today to get my water damaged iPhone replaced.
Sounds like you got a bad one; go exchange it.

While I have my quirks with the OS/Software I don't have any major hardware issues with my phone.

There is a handful of people who have hardware issues if you read all of the forums, but most people do not. I don't think the build quality is that bad.

Dead pixels are a fact of LCD technology, and production problems happen. I know a lot of people with the phones, I don't know anyone who has had to return it. I've only read about it online. Which isn't surprising, I expect people to complain online...

Last edited by SiGGy; 06-18-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Sorry to hear that quinto.

Guess they really didnt learn anything from POS treos.
yes because iphones are problem-free
Old 06-18-2009, 01:26 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by srika
yes because iphones are problem-free
iphones are computers and can get slow when bogged, and when they first came out there were some annoying glitches in the early firmware.

That said, in the two years of 1st gen iphone ownership I have NEVER had anywhere near the grief I got from my treo...which had to be replaced 3 times to random crap outs, not to mention the shitty outdated OS and compatibility problems.

And the iphone, at least the 1st gen with the aluminum, feels solid, and it has taken a couple licks over time and still kickin strong.

I'm not bashing the pre...I am bashing palm though.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
I think I'll hold off from getting a Pre. Fiancee likes hers so far without issues but I'll get the BB Tour.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:39 PM
Senior Moderator

iphones are computers and can get slow when bogged, and when they first came out there were some annoying glitches in the early firmware.

That said, in the two years of 1st gen iphone ownership I have NEVER had anywhere near the grief I got from my treo...which had to be replaced 3 times to random crap outs, not to mention the shitty outdated OS and compatibility problems.

And the iphone, at least the 1st gen with the aluminum, feels solid, and it has taken a couple licks over time and still kickin strong.

I'm not bashing the pre...I am bashing palm though.
and I've had Treos since 2005 and aside from a crash here and there - I've been very happy with them - they redefined the way I used phones. I have a very low tolerance level for electronics - if shit ain't working I get rid of it.

The first iphone I tried was totally locked up, couldn't even do anything on it - the button on the front was not even responding to anything. Ive had friends with iphones complain of recurring dropped calls, not to mention the inherently flawed (and company-control-based) design of the fixed battery. I've heard consistent reports of software issues with the 3G, many times hearing people say "do not buy". In the corporate world, iphone is still looked at as a toy, even after they got e-mail working on it. If you want to get any real work done, go Blackberry.

I don't have enough experience with the Pre to comment. I will say this, I am not a fan of the one-button on face model, I like having hardware buttons. Also, I'm not too thrilled about the Pre's many similarities to the iphone.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:04 PM
The Third Ball

and I've had Treos since 2005 and aside from a crash here and there - I've been very happy with them - they redefined the way I used phones. I have a very low tolerance level for electronics - if shit ain't working I get rid of it.

The first iphone I tried was totally locked up, couldn't even do anything on it - the button on the front was not even responding to anything. Ive had friends with iphones complain of recurring dropped calls, not to mention the inherently flawed (and company-control-based) design of the fixed battery. I've heard consistent reports of software issues with the 3G, many times hearing people say "do not buy". In the corporate world, iphone is still looked at as a toy, even after they got e-mail working on it. If you want to get any real work done, go Blackberry.

I don't have enough experience with the Pre to comment. I will say this, I am not a fan of the one-button on face model, I like having hardware buttons. Also, I'm not too thrilled about the Pre's many similarities to the iphone.

Dropped calls have nothing to do with the phone. I had just as many dropped calls with my Treo on sprint.

The iphone has proven, as macs always do, to be a device that just works. I've never had any major issues and the device never lets me down. Sure a program can occasionally lock up, again its a computer, and there is a force quit method should that happen. I cant help you have friends who buy items and have no clue how to use them.

User experience is all subjective of course and my experience has always been positive. Damn near everyone I know at this point has an iphone be it the original or the 3g and no one has ever had any major issues. So,
I'm not sure where are you coming up with the phones having software issues.

I'm not in the corporate world so I could care less about that. Though I'm starting to hear more and more people starting to switch or trying it out. Once Push finally gets there youll see more swtiching over.

And in the entertainment world....95% own iphones.

Subjective.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:16 PM
Senior Moderator

my Treos have never dropped calls.

you had a dud.

and, thanks for the lulz about 95% of the entertainment world owning iphones - OK NOW im convinced.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:23 PM
The Third Ball

my Treos have never dropped calls.

you had a dud.

and, thanks for the lulz about 95% of the entertainment world owning iphones - OK NOW im convinced.
Yeah ok then I had 3 duds. And how can you comment on dropped calls when you live in Chicago and I live in la? The coverage isn't the same. Any more retarded statements?

You brought up the whole iPhone vs bullshit, my comments were holding towards palm. You can stop anytime.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:24 PM
Senior Moderator

looks like Palm is shipping more than a few defective Pre's... not surprised, really.

http://consumerist.com/5293150/radio...ew-gets-caught

RadioShack Sells Defective Pre As New, Gets Caught

By Chris Walters, 7:51 PM on Tue Jun 16 2009, 14,050 views

Eric bought a Palm Pre from RadioShack this past weekend, but maybe he shouldn't have. Or maybe RadioShack should make sure that when a phone is returned as defective, it's not sent back out to the first unsuspecting customer as a brand new device.

He writes,

I had called a Radio Shack near me asking if they had any Palm Pres available. They called me back Saturday morning (6/13) telling me that one had become available.

At home, upon closer inspection, I found the lower right part of the screen was defective. It looked like the screen was bubbling or something. When I opened up the Pandora application, to my surprise, an account was already logged in! This was supposed to be a new phone in an unopened box.

I Googled the user name and the first result I found was this Twitter account. And wouldn't you know it. She had twittered not 6 hours earlier about how she had to return a defective Palm Pre to the same RadioShack.

When Eric took the phone back to RadioShack, the manager refused to admit it was a used Pre. Here's part of the email Eric sent to the original owner, which she in turn posted on her own gadget blog:

When I confronted the manager about being sold a repackaged Pre, he said there was no way that was possible. Even after showing him that an odd account was already logged into Pandora, he denied it.

The good news is they did replace my Palm Pre. However, the bad news, in a totally separate independent issue, is that the ear piece on the new one doesn't work.

To Radio Shack's credit, they are replacing this one as well and they are having Sprint waive my activation fee. However there should be no excuse for reselling a returned phone.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Yeah ok then I had 3 duds. And how can you comment on dropped calls when you live in Chicago and I live in la? The coverage isn't the same. Any more retarded statements?

You brought up the whole iPhone vs bullshit, my comments were holding towards palm. You can stop anytime.
it was not a service issue - he returned the iphone got another one and it was OK.

I mentioned something about the iphone in jest (even with smileys) - you turned it hostile.

ps. lol @ the name calling
Old 06-18-2009, 02:37 PM
The Third Ball

who is name calling

I said you made some retarded comments and you did. Learn english.

Quick Reply: Thought about the new Palm pre?