AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Technology (https://acurazine.com/forums/technology-16/)
-   -   Thought about the new Palm pre? (https://acurazine.com/forums/technology-16/thought-about-new-palm-pre-704342/)

vas25tl 01-08-2009 02:21 PM

Thought about the new Palm pre?

Hey check out the new Palm. What do you think?

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/08/l...nce/#continued

vas25tl 01-08-2009 03:51 PM

http://www.palm.com/us/products/phon...x.html#gallery

http://www.palm.com/us/assets/images...ery/pre_01.png

Dr. Colorado 01-08-2009 07:09 PM

Looks suite. I'm intrigued by the built in GPS and 3mp camera. When's the release date?

vas25tl 01-09-2009 08:00 AM

They said "first half of 2009". I asked my friend that works at Sprint last night but he hasn't heard anything. I hope it comes out soon.

bgsm1th 01-09-2009 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by vas25tl (Post 10372733)
They said "first half of 2009". I asked my friend that works at Sprint last night but he hasn't heard anything. I hope it comes out soon.

Really? I thought I read fall of 2009 on engadget... :dunno:
Anyway, I'm very intrigued by this. I've had a Sprint Treo for 2 years now and don't hate it, but I'm looking to jump ship to AT&T for the 3G iPhone next month. Gotta admit I'm not too keen on leaving Sprint at this point because connectivity and customer service has been really good, but they just don't have anything that interests me in a smartphone at this point.

vas25tl 01-09-2009 10:38 AM

^ my thoughts exactly. My contract is up in April and I can't even look at the Treo anymore. I've had every single one and I've had treo's since 2004. I'm done with them but I also don't want to leave Sprint. I'm pretty excited about the Pre.

bgsm1th 01-09-2009 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by vas25tl (Post 10373220)
^ my thoughts exactly. My contract is up in April and I can't even look at the Treo anymore. I've had every single one and I've had treo's since 2004. I'm done with them but I also don't want to leave Sprint. I'm pretty excited about the Pre.

Yeah, I would at least like to hold it and play with it before I decide definitively on the iPhone...but I'm not waiting until fall for that chance.

Dr. Colorado 01-09-2009 12:56 PM

I just received an email from sprint regarding the Pre so hopefully it will release soon. I'm so over my treo 755, had to replace it twice when it went on the blink. Good thing i have the full replacement plan:tomato: My current treo is only 4 mos old and my 2 years is up this may but i get 23% corporate discount with sprint and plus my parents and siblings are all on sprint. I was leaning towards HTC pro but Pre is looking better and better:wish:

vas25tl 01-09-2009 01:53 PM

Treo's have a very high failure rate. If they last longer than 6 months it's nothing short of amazement.

I also have the full replacement plan - you need it with treos

Q1911 01-09-2009 02:24 PM

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/2322-1.htm

#1 STUNNA 01-09-2009 05:33 PM

iPhone/Pre/G1 comparasion

Originally Posted by gizmodo
CES 2009 brought us a new player in the smartphone upper-echelon. Let's drill down and see how the Palm Pre compares with the iPhone and Android's G1.

1. Multitouch touchscreen/gesture control: All three are capacitive, only the Pre and iPhone have multitouch. The Pre's glowy little "gesture area" has dropped the touchable real estate all the way down tto the bottom of the phone, which is great for being able to navigate with one hand and not interfere with the screen at all. The wavey dock you bring up from the bottom looks awesome, but can you use it out of the box without a second thought or page through the manual? That's my question. Advantage: iPhone/Pre tossup.

2. Multitasking: One of the beefiest of our beefs with the iPhone SDK is its insistence on Apps running one at a time. The G1's notifications drawer was definitely a step in the right direction, but the Pre's interface is the first smartphone OS that was built with multitasking as a core design element. Resembling the Xbox's old Blades, or a less-jarring OS X Expose even, the Pre's "Cards" interface always places you in the context of every app running for fast switching, and notifications from other apps don't pull you away completely from the task at hand. Multitasking is hugely important on a phone, and it's a good sign that Palm recognizes. Advantage: Pre

3. Hardware: Adrian says:

While the hardware is definitely high quality, I'm not entirely blown away by the design. It looks really nice, and original, but it's a little too cutesy in shape and kind of reminds me of an oversized pebble. A slightly larger screen could have definitely been put to good use, and I really don't like the black space on the sides of the screen.

A phone with a built-in QWERTY still hasn't touched the iPhone in terms of sleekness and pure sex. And it might still be a while. Advantage: iPhone

4. Development platform: The Pre's "Web OS" sure sounds nice—all developers need to know is JavaScript, HTML and CSS? Sounds good in theory, but building a mobile app will never be as easy as cranking out a new theme for your Tumblr. Palm's stressing ease of development, though, so it will be interesting to see how it stacks up against Apple's solid, familiar-to-devs OS X-based SDK and Android's fully open source approach. Advantage: Pre? If it's straight-up JavaScript, that's a lot of programmers ready to go.

5. Web Integration: The Pre subtly integrates the internet into the phone at every opportunity, and it's awesome. Contacts get pulled in from Facebook, Gmail, IM and and scanned for dupes; the messaging app shows your last several emails, IMs and SMS with that contact in a single window. Really, really smart stuff. Advantage: Pre

6. App Store/developer community: A smartphone is only as good as the software it runs. On the Pre, Palm is still keeping application delivery details like pricing behind the curtain, but they did say the app delivery will be entirely handled by the phone (without a desktop app), which is a shame. They're saying that they're not going to duplicate Apple's Hobbesian app approval black box mistake, which Android has also hasn't fallen for, but there will be an approval process based on "security and stability." But as we know with Android, a dev community needs enough devices in the hands of consumers to reach critical mass, which the Pre will have to match. Advantage: iPhone, even with the black box, but Android and Pre's more open stances are reassuring.

7. Wireless charger: We've seen wireless charger tech for years at CES, but it's taken this long for a major consumer gadget to come bundled with its own wireless charger in the box. Bravo. Advantage: Pre

8. The Network: Dan Hesse, Sprint's CEO, gave our coast-to-coast 3G test a shout out in his press conference. Of course he did: Sprint won (in download speeds). Sprint was the only major carrier without a powerful, hype-catching smartphone choice, and now they have one. The Pre is a data-centric phone with a network we've proven to be strong in a large swatch of the country—that's a good combo. But would you switch to Sprint for the Pre? Advantage: Not cut and dry for everyone, but we stand by our numbers: Sprint is the best 3G network in our tests.

9. Physical keyboard: It's preference, but one held by a large swathe of the gadget buying public: physical QWERTY keypads are still the mainstream input of choice. Touch is getting better all the time, but a lot of people still want physical keyboards. But better yet is the ability to choose; unfortunately, the Pre doesn't have a soft onscreen keyboard, and its slide-out is the same meh QWERTY from the Treo Pro. Advantage: It's preference, but on me, the iPhone's soft keyboard can't be beat.

10. Camera: The Pre has an LED Flash for its 3MP camera, something both the iPhone and G1 lack. Flash cellphone photos are ugly, but for a lot of people, they're good enough. So credit for throwing it in. Advantage: Pre

11. Battery: Apple's still an outlier with their non-removable battery; like the G1's, the Pre's comes out for a spare swap too. We've heard Apple's reasons for this a million times, we know the drill, but removable batteries will never stop being handy. Advantage: Pre

12. Copy & Paste: Yep, Pre's got it. iPhone still doesn't. Advantage: Pre/G1

13. Browser: All three use a browser based on WebKit, which has become the standard for the mobile web. We couldn't put it through our Mobile Browser Battlemodo ringer obviously, but what we saw looked great, and it's the only other mobile browser besides the iPhone that supports multitouch zooming. Advantage: iPhone/Pre

So there you have it. We're excited. Are you?

Very interesting

Sarlacc 01-09-2009 09:43 PM

Its still a palm and you'll still want to toss out the window of your car at 100mph in 6 months or less.

vas25tl 01-09-2009 10:27 PM

^I think this might be Palm's comeback.

Python2121 01-09-2009 11:36 PM

I loved Palm...10 years ago, since then they have done basically no development and have not implemented any significant changes. I would love to love them again, so I'm looking forward to this. Anyone know what this actually runs on? Linux?

#1 STUNNA 01-10-2009 12:19 AM

:nod:Linux

ViperrepiV 01-10-2009 01:29 AM

i thought it ran on a base of java? that is what the apps are programed in, fwiw

#1 STUNNA 01-10-2009 09:56 AM

here's the Palm keynote if you want to watch, I'm watching it now

http://palmone.r3h.net/downloads.palm.com/ces.mov

vas25tl 01-10-2009 10:00 AM

i can't wait! :excited:

Python2121 01-10-2009 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by #1 DOUCHER (Post 10376127)
:nod:Linux

:wish: I have a love hate relationship with my iPhone. I have been wondering how multitasking would be handled by a handheld. This is encouraging. So it looks like this phone has just about everything except for an expansion slot. I just an an SDXD slot so I can have my portable HD in my pocket.

#1 STUNNA 01-10-2009 10:37 AM

This keynote is very apple like, I wish more companies did their keynotes like this I'd be much more intersting.

#1 STUNNA 01-10-2009 10:58 PM

After watching the keynote I have to say this thing is much better than any phone on the market even the iPhone which I own. I'm looking forward to see how apple responds to this especially since it seems against having more than one app running at the same time.

Ken1997TL 01-10-2009 11:09 PM

Its about damn time.. I had Palm Pilots for years and it seemed like they kept getting further and further behind. The treos especially seemed dated.

v6cord2k5 01-11-2009 01:08 AM

I'm not complaining about my iPhone but I had a treo 700p with Sprint for a couple of years and absolutely loved it. The iPhone is many times better but the treo I had was a solid semi-old phone. When I switched to AT&T I actually chose the centro because of how good the 700p was, but that pos crashed and burned within the FIRST WEEK! Right in time for me to ditch it for teh iPhone. If I ever went back I would use my 700p which I still have, the centro scared me away from anything new from palm.

vas25tl 01-15-2009 10:36 PM

anyone know any news about actual release date?

paz840 01-16-2009 09:53 AM

not a huge fan of Sprint or the palm OS, but it looks intriguing...i heard BB will be the exclusive retailer when it comes out

Malayalee King 01-16-2009 11:41 AM

i'm looking forward to it from one of the companies that set the bars in mobile computing. a long history of a solid OS, great memory management, etc has me looking fwd to this phone. a lot of treo users still have their treos because theyre so solid! (the ones that dont run windows anyway)

vas25tl 01-16-2009 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Malayalee King (Post 10401140)
i'm looking forward to it from one of the companies that set the bars in mobile computing. a long history of a solid OS, great memory management, etc has me looking fwd to this phone. a lot of treo users still have their treos because theyre so solid! (the ones that dont run windows anyway)

Main point^ My 600 and 650 were solid, the 700 with windows is JUNK. Can't wait to have palm OS again.:wish:

phil2 01-16-2009 12:32 PM

Is this going to be sprint exclusive?

vas25tl 01-16-2009 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by phil2 (Post 10401397)
Is this going to be sprint exclusive?

For now, it looks like it. Looks like it'll be a savior for Sprint since they haven't come out with anything exclusive or decent in years.

Q1911 01-16-2009 02:43 PM

Just wanted sprint needed. You get that feeling watching Dan Hesse at the keynotes from CES.

and vas25tl, why the hell is your AV so gay?

vas25tl 01-16-2009 03:08 PM

Uhm...it's something about me learning a lesson.

Q1911 01-16-2009 04:19 PM

Are you the new scotty?

vas25tl 01-16-2009 09:48 PM

I wouldn't say new...maybe in addition? I guess I shouldn't have said his AV was a little on the :ghey: side

Kikaida 01-19-2009 03:51 AM

I can't believe I missed the Palm booth at CES! :doh:

DarkSithCL 01-19-2009 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by surfer rick (Post 10373771)
I just received an email from sprint regarding the Pre so hopefully it will release soon. I'm so over my treo 755, had to replace it twice when it went on the blink. Good thing i have the full replacement plan:tomato: My current treo is only 4 mos old and my 2 years is up this may but i get 23% corporate discount with sprint and plus my parents and siblings are all on sprint. I was leaning towards HTC pro but Pre is looking better and better:wish:

Yo Bro! My HTC Pro has been great, but it is a very delicate little gem... hope this Treo is alil more sturdy and fast.... if so.... I say go for it!:thumbsup:

DarkSithCL 01-19-2009 09:57 PM

I do like the fact that you DONT have to flip the phone around to work the keyboard... my Pro is definitely alil slower b/c of this!

JediMindTricks 01-20-2009 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by vas25tl (Post 10401653)
For now, it looks like it. Looks like it'll be a savior for Sprint since they haven't come out with anything exclusive or decent in years.

wasn't the instinct supposed to be sprint's savior?

they spent so much money marketing that thing.

ViperrepiV 01-21-2009 02:41 PM

I am sooooo excited about this phone. I can't wait until it comes out and we hear about people putting it through the paces. Although it will be tough to beat the multimedia integration that exists in the iphone.

DarkSithCL 01-21-2009 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks (Post 10415390)
wasn't the instinct supposed to be sprint's savior?

they spent so much money marketing that thing.

I really think the instinct has kept sprint afloat... there a a bunch of peeps I know with one.... my brother-in-law loves his... during Christmas when he was in town I used his to text, call, send some pics and do some GPS... it really is a great device! :thumbsup:

vas25tl 01-27-2009 01:42 PM

I think the instinct sucks......just my :2cents: Tried to be like iPhone and failed miserably.

I'm really :wish: the pre is nice.