Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Dell or Apple 20" Display?

Old 06-28-2007 | 08:13 PM
Racer

Dell or Apple 20" Display?

I just got a new MacBook and want to get a new monitor. I can get the Dell 20" UltraSharp 2007WFP for $449 (Damn, they just raised the price $50 in the last hour!). The Apple 20" Cinema Display is $599. What I like about the Dell is that you can adjust it up and down, as well as swivel. I'm new to Mac. The Dell add says it has multiple connectors, including DVI-D. I know that Apple is DVI -- is there any difference between the DVI on Macs and DVI-D? I looked at a bunch of Mac boards and it looks like quite a few Mac people are using the Dells. Any wisdom on which one I should go for -- are the Dell's really the same quality -- which is what people are saying (supposedly both made by LG). Any wisdom on this decision would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-28-2007 | 08:18 PM
Racer

I forgot to put in the last post that the Apple is $599 and I refreshed the screen and the Dell is back to $399! So there's a two hundred dollar saving with the Dell, plus a three year warranty vs. one year. I want to go for the Dell unless any of you Mac guys can explain to me some things I don't understand about Macs or Mac displays which would give me a good reason to for for the Apple -- Thanks again for any help on this.
Old 06-28-2007 | 08:20 PM
Yeehaw

I thought that the actual screen was identical on those two, or if not, it was very close. I'd go with the Dell.

For that matter, you can get a 22" Viewsonic that matches up to either one of those for about 250.
Old 06-28-2007 | 08:34 PM
Racer

I've been told the same thing -- that they're identical. Are there any technical usability issues that make for a better experience with the MacBook AND an Apple Display? Or is Apple just charging a lot more because they're Apple?

As far as connectors go, the Dell has all this: The inputs on the back panel are easy to access if you pivot the panel into portrait position; they consist of one upstream and two downstream USB 2.0 ports, DVI-D and D-Sub signal inputs, a 12-volt audio jack for connecting an optional Dell Sound Bar speaker, plus composite and S-Video inputs for connecting a VCR, a DVD player, or a camcorder. Along the right edge of the panel are two more USB 2.0 ports, and Dell includes DVI-D, D-Sub, and a USB cable in the package. I presume that from the computer all you need is the DVD-D -- is that right?
Old 06-28-2007 | 08:35 PM
nnInn

I've had Dell LCD's for the last 5 years (two of them), never had a problem with them. Go with the Dell use the 2bills for something else.

My MBP is on it's way from China, can't wait to hook it up to my 20" Dell, I may go bigger when the wallet can afford it.
Old 06-28-2007 | 08:37 PM
Yeehaw

Yep, all you need is the DVI.

I think the only thing the Apple has going for it, is that it is an Apple. It looks nicer, and appeals to the Mac purists, but even Soopa uses a Dell with his MBP.

Check out the Viewsonic though, its nice, and slick looking. Piano black finish beats the industrial looking Dell.
Old 06-28-2007 | 08:40 PM
Racer

Hey, Jup -- you been using your Dell's with Macs as well as PCs? I'd love to save the bucks, and get a better warranty, etc. I guess I'm just trying to make sure that there aren't any Mac issues that I don't know about -- I hate surprises that come up AFTER I buy new stuff!
Old 06-28-2007 | 08:43 PM
Racer

Hey, Beet -- thanks -- I'll check out the Viewsonic -- Had one years ago. But if Soopa is throwing his considerable weight behind the Dell's, that's like Tiger Woods telling me what club I should hit!
Old 06-28-2007 | 08:45 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

My only comment why bother with a wide screen at 20"? Just comparing within Dell, you're giving up 150 pixels of vertical real estate compared to the 20" 4:3 model. 1680 x 1050 for the 2007WFP vs. 1600 x 1200 for the 2007FP. If you have your heart set on a wide screen, fine. Just be sure you know the give & take involved at the 20" size.
Old 06-28-2007 | 08:46 PM
Yeehaw

lol... Soopa might have picked up his Dell before the Viewsonics came out though.

To address your previous question though, there are no compatibility issues with Macs/PCs and certain monitors. The outputs are the same. I ran a 20" Dell with my Macbook for a while, then picked up that Viewsonic I mentioned. Also ran the same monitors with a Dell Optiplex.
Old 06-28-2007 | 08:47 PM
nnInn

Originally Posted by Good Ride
Hey, Jup -- you been using your Dell's with Macs as well as PCs? I'd love to save the bucks, and get a better warranty, etc. I guess I'm just trying to make sure that there aren't any Mac issues that I don't know about -- I hate surprises that come up AFTER I buy new stuff!

No just PC's, the MBP that's coming is my first Mac in 11 years. But still no service problems with the Dell. You shouldn't have any problems.
Old 06-28-2007 | 08:47 PM
Yeehaw

Originally Posted by Billiam
My only comment why bother with a wide screen at 20"? Just comparing within Dell, you're giving up 150 pixels of vertical real estate compared to the 20" 4:3 model. 1680 x 1050 for the 2007WFP vs. 1600 x 1200 for the 2007FP. If you have your heart set on a wide screen, fine. Just be sure you know the give & take involved at the 20" size.

Would you really go with a 4:3? I feel cramped on a non widescreen monitor.
Old 06-28-2007 | 08:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Fry's Electronic is selling a 22'' widescreen Viewsonic for $199
Old 06-28-2007 | 08:53 PM
nnInn

Originally Posted by BEETROOT

I have a 20" WS Dell, no prblem with it being WS. Better for games.
Old 06-28-2007 | 08:57 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Originally Posted by BEETROOT
It's a personal thing, but to me screen real estate is everything. Which dimension is important depends completely on what you're doing though. If I was primarily surfing, I'd want as many pixels as possible in the vertical dimension. I could care less if that comes from a 4:3 monitor or a widescreen monitor. Personally, I'm living on a 24" Eizo widescreen that I got primarily for photo editing.
Old 06-28-2007 | 09:00 PM
Yeehaw

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
I have a 20" WS Dell, no prblem with it being WS. Better for games.
yeah, I agree, I was saying I really prefer widescreen

Originally Posted by Billiam
It's a personal thing, but to me screen real estate is everything. Which dimension is important depends completely on what you're doing though. If I was primarily surfing, I'd want as many pixels as possible in the vertical dimension. I could care less if that comes from a 4:3 monitor or a widescreen monitor. Personally, I'm living on a 24" Eizo widescreen that I got primarily for photo editing.

Gotcha. I usually have about 7 windows open at a time, so the horizontal real estate is most important to me. Lets me see a few at a time in a way thats not really possible with 4:3.
Old 06-28-2007 | 09:01 PM
Racer

Billiam's got an interesting point -- I guess I need to think that through some more. I'm not used to wide screen, but it seemed like the way to go (and I really don't want to go bigger than 20 for my workspace).

Any other thoughts on which format would be better in 20"? I'll be using it for writing (shouldn't matter for that), lots of work with photos in Lightroom, some photoshop, and some HD video editing in Final Cut Express. Given all that -- which format do you think I'd be better off with?
Old 06-28-2007 | 09:03 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Any other thoughts on which format would be better in 20"? I'll be using it for writing (shouldn't matter for that), lots of work with photos in Lightroom, some photoshop, and some HD video editing in Final Cut Express. Given all that -- which format do you think I'd be better off with?
I'd say widescreen definitely in your case. Video is always horizontal as are a vast majority of photos.
Old 06-28-2007 | 09:05 PM
nnInn

The screen can always be switched, what's that called bizel???
Old 06-28-2007 | 09:10 PM
Racer

That definitely makes sense -- the horizontal orientation. Maybe I knew that without realizing I knew it! And I usually have a million windows open at once. Funny thing is the WFP is $50 cheaper -- I guess that's what confused me before -- I hadn't realized that they were flashing both monitors on their site, and alternating them. Wonder why the WS is cheaper? Anyhow -- unless anybody has a better argument -- sounds like I should go with the Dell WFP.
Old 06-28-2007 | 09:28 PM
Racer

Just checked out the Viewsonic -- Looks like a great deal, but I can't find anything in the specs about being able to adjust the height or swivel the angle of view -- maybe I'm missing it, but I really like the fact that the Dell is so easy to position -- plus you can also use it in protrait mode, which is pretty cool. I was looking at the VX2025WM.

I love this forum! You guys are great. I learn more here in a few minutes that surfing for 2 hours! Thanks.
Old 06-28-2007 | 09:34 PM
Yeehaw

Just checked out the Viewsonic -- Looks like a great deal, but I can't find anything in the specs about being able to adjust the height or swivel the angle of view -- maybe I'm missing it, but I really like the fact that the Dell is so easy to position -- plus you can also use it in protrait mode, which is pretty cool. I was looking at the VX2025WM.
It can swivel to adjust the angle, but it is not height adjustable.

I love this forum! You guys are great. I learn more here in a few minutes that surfing for 2 hours! Thanks.
Old 06-28-2007 | 09:38 PM
Yeehaw

This is the one I used to have, I was really happy with it. Not height adjustable though. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824116059
Old 06-28-2007 | 09:41 PM
Racer

Sounds like the Viewsonic is pretty optimized for gaming. That would be nice, but not enough to get me to give up the height adjustment (or the portrait swivel). Also, I really like the 5 yr. warranty Dell gives for $49. That rocks. Now if I can just get it delivered by Monday
Old 06-28-2007 | 10:52 PM
The Creator

the main benefits to the Apple displays is that the native color profiles are perfectly calibrated. out of the box Apple displays paired to an Apple computer look just perfect. the other benefit is that their built in adjustments are a good bit easier to use.

the Dell on the other hand, it doesn't look proper paired to an Apple without proper calibration. i have a Pantone Huey Pro to accomplish this. it gets the job done, but sometimes i wish i could just operate in Apples native color space. the adjustments on the Dell itself are also a bit unwieldy IMO, but this may have been fixed. i've the last gen 24".

the portrait mode is something you'll never use. it was a cool novelty when i got the display, but i haven't used it in well over a year or more.

that aside, the LCDs themselves are identical. so for the Apple you're basically paying for a sexier housing and some more convenient features. it's a bit more tuned and polished. is that worth the premium? only you can decide. for me, at the time of purchase, it wasn't. these days, i'd say yes... yes it is. my next displays will be Apple. i was hoping they were going to release LED-backed Cinema Displays at WWDC, then i'd have some Apple units already. unfortunately it looks like im going to have to wait while they spend all their time fiddling with that freakin' phone.
Old 06-28-2007 | 10:53 PM
The Creator

oh, the height adjustment on the Dells is very convenient, and it's something i would miss but could definitely live without.
Old 06-28-2007 | 11:40 PM
goldeneye style

if money is no object go with the apple just bc they look great but are overpriced

however, dell monitors are usually a steal for a great product. i believe the internals are samsung? something like that.

so my vote goes for the dell. great monitors
Old 06-29-2007 | 12:50 AM
Racer

Damn -- I thought I had this all figured out until Soopa (who we all know is a certified Apple Jedi knight) had to chime about the calibration issues. That's kind of what I was concerned about -- that even though the display is the "same, it won't look or act the same. I'm definitely not up for having to go through all those calibration issues -- and I'm really a plug-and-play kind of guy -- so now you've got me thinking I should pony up for the Apple. I would miss the height adjustment, but my current Sony is propped up on an old Random House Dictionary in my office, so there are some low-rent work-arounds. My guess is that the height on the Apple 20" (after checking it out in the store) would be enough -- with the tilt -- to dump the dictionary!

Thanks Soopa -- I really needed that!

Seriously -- Appreciate the feedback. I also hate the fact that Apple only gives you a one year warranty -- do you think that's a worry? I don't know how much they want for the 3 year -- probably not cheap. Hummmmmmm......
Old 06-29-2007 | 10:17 AM
The Creator

i could be misguided, but in my experience i haven't known many LCD's to fail randomly more than year into life.

they usually have problems out of the box or none at all.

but i could be wrong.
Old 06-29-2007 | 10:27 AM
nnInn

^^^ That's pretty much the way I've seen it as well, dead pixels are mostly at start up. I've never seen one happen after being used for awhile. I've never seen a dead pixel in a Dell. The two that I use/used for over 5 years or the 50 or so at my old job, that I help set up.
Old 06-29-2007 | 11:12 AM
Racer

Hey, Soops -- I slept on it -- I think you're talking me into the Apple -- I've heard that adjusting the screen on the current gen Dell is still a little balky. Until I read your post, I also hadn't realized that I'd have calibration issues with the Dell that I won't have with the Apple. That's a big deal for me. I'll probably use this monitor for quite a while, so I suppose it will cost me another $50/yr to avoid that. Just wish the Apple had a height adjustment

Anyhow, thanks for the info. You've done a good job of helping me spend more money -- like Steve Jobs needs my business really badly!
Old 06-29-2007 | 11:13 AM
The hair says it all

Dell, I have the 2005fpw and got it for under $500 years ago, so you are being ripped off at that price. I have seen them as low as $300. I would go with the viewsonic if you can get it for $250. The stand on my 2005fpw is amazing, probably the best I have seen/used. Widescreen FTW, I love being able to have a full image open and then tools on the left and right in photoshop. I also love it for movies and games which is 90% of what I use it for.
Old 06-29-2007 | 01:06 PM
Racer

Python -- what's your take on Soopa's calibration issues?
Old 06-29-2007 | 01:16 PM
The hair says it all

Python -- what's your take on Soopa's calibration issues?
My screen has the same LG panel as the 20'' cinema (although I think it has been upgraded since then with a higher contrast ratio and response time (mine is 12ms IIRC)). I have never had it side by side but I have hooked up apples and pc's to my screen and both look beautiful through DVI. I could see room for a tiny amount of calibration but its NOTHING that would ever justify the price difference to me (and I am not talking about that full price web site difference but after whatever coupons and redemptions and their once a month sale which inevitably remove $200 from that quoted price). In fact, there is no way I would get the Apple over the Dell because the extra inputs I have (RCA, S-Video, and VGA) have each been indispensable at some point. All last year, for example, I had my TiVo hooked up to my screen through S-Video and could watch tv p-i-p or full screen and avoid a bulky tv wasting space. The ONLY issue I have with my screen is 1 dead pixel (that I can notice) after 3 years and a light bleeding issue which I knew was common before I purchased and has been subsequently fixed in later models. I do not think the Apples were ever plagued by this issue. It is almost unnoticeable so I decided not to bother with a replacement. Sorry for the long post but thats pretty much everything I could think of.

Planet earth high def downloads off of bit torrent look AMAZING on this thing.
Old 06-29-2007 | 01:22 PM
The hair says it all

The price on dells site is $399 today, btw
Old 06-29-2007 | 07:40 PM
Racer

Python -- thanks for the input (no pun intended). I'm starting to feel like a ping-pong ball. This afternoon I'm leaning Dell again. I guess the good news is that I'm not under the gun. You've got a good point when it comes to waiting for Dell's monthly sales.
Old 06-29-2007 | 07:57 PM
I don't have a Ferrari in

Not sure if anyone said this yet, too lazy to read, but you need a converter since the Macbook has a miniDVI port and you need a regular DVI plug to connect the monitor.

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/...Adapter-Cables

I'd link you to Apple Store but its down right now.

Also DVI-D and DVI-I are just names for the cable that gets plugged into and the other cable that plugs in, respectively. In other words, DVI-I

is the one with the pins that goes into the DVI-D which has the holes.

Er, crap. Sorry for the large pictures. They didn't look so big when I linked them.

Last edited by mastertl; 06-29-2007 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-29-2007 | 08:19 PM
Racer

Thanks, didn't know that -- Those plugs look like something that goes with Monster cables!
Old 06-29-2007 | 08:29 PM
I don't have a Ferrari in

Just make sure you get the right set of connectors and you'll be set. Also, the Macbook's graphics card cannot handle extremely high resolutions. I am not sure what the highest is on the Macbook with respect to an external monitor, but I am fairly certain that it will not work with the 23in HD or the 30in HD from Apple.
Old 06-29-2007 | 09:47 PM
Racer

I didn't know that either, but it makes sense. The MacBook (not Pro) doesn't have a graphics card, but I'm amazed at how good it handles graphics. My wife has a MacBook Pro from work, and you only start to see the lack of the card on really intensive apps like video editing with Final Cut.

Quick Reply: Dell or Apple 20" Display?