Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Apple: iPhone News and Discussion Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 04:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by astro
anyone playing iMob Online?
add me!

145 037 273

I use to but gave up after they wanted me to recruit 5 people to go any further.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:34 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 626 Likes on 277 Posts
I haven't had to do anything like that
Old 02-12-2009, 04:35 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,279 Likes on 6,229 Posts
Originally Posted by bgsm1th
I just tried to set that up Sunday and it wouldn't let me...how?
Try it again cause they just enabled the ability for the US yesterday.

Originally Posted by Jonesi
I've always had my hotmail account linked to my iphone mail. no secondary apps. I just always used the host name as live.com instead of hotmail.
You must have a hotmail plus account. This hasn't been available to free users like myself, it now is.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:11 PM

Received 2,787 Likes on 1,987 Posts
ARGH

i accidentally dropped my 2G iphone, and a tiny part of the LCD separated from the glass screen, now i got a fugly air bubble right where it shows the bars for your signal.

good thing thou it only shows in certain angles, and in the dark you cant see it.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:00 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
i ordered a screen from china. my glass is all fucked
Old 02-13-2009, 11:13 AM
Unregistered user

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
anyone upgrade to 2.2.1 with pwnage? i hate doing updates..... stupid pwnage makes me reinstall stuff
Old 02-13-2009, 01:44 PM

I did it with quikpwn. It was easy but i had to reinstall all the jailbreak apps. The legit stuff was all there cause of iTunes
Old 02-13-2009, 10:35 PM
seizure force field!

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by LIPPSTUH
anyone upgrade to 2.2.1 with pwnage? i hate doing updates..... stupid pwnage makes me reinstall stuff
Its the reason I haven't upgraded.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:45 PM
iDrink

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mizouse
I did it with quikpwn. It was easy but i had to reinstall all the jailbreak apps. The legit stuff was all there cause of iTunes
quickpwn didn't erase any of my jailbroken apps. i love quickpwn.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:03 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mizouse
Just download AptBackup in Cydia next time! It restores all your Jailbreak programs.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:11 AM

ohh..

thanks ill remember that, anyways i dont have any jailbreak programs anymore.

i just jailbroke my phone so i didnt have to activate it with at&t.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:07 AM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
finally bought one of these stupid things and unfortunately i love it.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:08 AM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Is jail breaking this thing worth it? I hate hassles unless there's some real payoff..
Old 02-14-2009, 07:09 PM
I like to whistle in my

Originally Posted by zeroday
finally bought one of these stupid things and unfortunately i love it.
LOL. sounds like something my father would say. I've been telling him about macs for yearssss but he's a PC guy. Ima buy them one - - one day
Old 02-15-2009, 01:17 PM
sup

Originally Posted by zeroday
Is jail breaking this thing worth it? I hate hassles unless there's some real payoff..
I just did it. The actual process of jailbreaking is easy, but some of the more complicated theme modification stuff is a pain in the ass. That said, you can really do some amazing things. These are my current lock and home screens:

Old 02-15-2009, 09:28 PM
ENGAGE MY VTEC BABY!!!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what kind of movies are compatible to play on the iTouch?
Old 02-15-2009, 10:25 PM

i believe its like H.264 and MPEG-4 video codec only.

i use this to convert videos.

http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod-touch/

well except the one for iphone (its probably the same)

you just convert the videos and then just drag and drop them into your ipod/iphone via itunes.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:37 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by bgsm1th
After 3 years of Treo, I'm picking mine up later today!
3 years of treo 650 then went to HTC Touch Pro last october....loved it for a while..I DO NOT like anymore... and its keyboard just stopped workin today... sooooooo I am considering the iphone.... any thoughts?

....also... my htc is a battery HOG!.... I have to keep it plugged up all day and it dies all the time....How does the iphone compare?

Last edited by DarkSithCL; 03-12-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:50 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

In case anyone hasn't seen the news yet, the 3.0 software is supposed to be unveiled next Tuesday (3/17).
Old 03-12-2009, 12:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
3 years of treo 650 then went to HTC Touch Pro last october....loved it for a while..I DO NOT like anymore... and its keyboard just stopped workin today... sooooooo I am considering the iphone.... any thoughts?
My recent phone history:

I went from a ppc-6700 to it's replacement, the sprint mogul and now the iPhone.

When I first purhcased the ppc-6700 I envisioned a seamless way of integrating the management of my daily activities on my cell phone with my desktop. I should have realized that it was a bunch of when I had the ppc-6700, but instead continued using the antiquated software that winmo truly is with the sprint mogul. still the problems persisted. I always had problems syncing my phone. it would work fine for a while and then out of nowhere the sync relationship would get corrupted and I'd have to redo it all.

it was at that point I decided it was either going to be a blackberry or an iphone. blackberry sounded appealing, but in the end I went with the iPhone and was very surprised. I was completely anti-iphone, but I guess I should have given it more time and thought before deciding to be so against it. now that I have it, I can't tell how you much I enjoy using it. I can tell you this though, The gripes I did have about it are still there. There are a few usability issues I have with it (no horizontal keyboard for texting, button layout for some programs wasn't well thoughout, and a few other UI issues), i'm a bit of UI nut

If you are looking for a phone for corporate use, I'm no where near convinced that the iphone is ready for the corproate world. Sure it supports exchange, but if you use it, yoru calendars and contacts follow suit. there's no dilineation between personal and work calendar information that I could find when using exchange. And so I stopped using exchange because I didn't want my personal stuff syncing with my work calendar.

What you will fall in love with on the iphone are the apps. I've probably spent over $50 in apps since I got the phone at the end of decemeber, and they are mostly games, but theree are just as many free apps as well (Bank of America, Paypal, yellow pages, Facebook, ebay, amazon, ...).

I think you'll like it, but it will require you to change the way you use your phone because it doesn't handle task management like winmo did. I ended up buying "things" for os x, and buying it's companion iphone app so that I can have task management functionaltiy on my iphone. Also, notes don't sync up which is another one of my gripes. I'm very surprised there isn't an iNote app on OS X and a companion iNote app on iphone where one can simply take notes and sync them up. There is a notes app on iphone, but it can't be synced.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Billiam
In case anyone hasn't seen the news yet, the 3.0 software is supposed to be unveiled next Tuesday (3/17).

https://acurazine.com/forums/technology-16/iphone-os-3-0-a-714759/

Old 03-12-2009, 01:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
I played with an iPhone for the first time this past weekend. I'm hooked.

My contract is up in a couple of months and I'm highly considering getting one now.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
wife just got hers today ...i'm still reluctant to give up the Blackberry
Old 03-12-2009, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
My recent phone history:

I went from a ppc-6700 to it's replacement, the sprint mogul and now the iPhone.

When I first purhcased the ppc-6700 I envisioned a seamless way of integrating the management of my daily activities on my cell phone with my desktop. I should have realized that it was a bunch of when I had the ppc-6700, but instead continued using the antiquated software that winmo truly is with the sprint mogul. still the problems persisted. I always had problems syncing my phone. it would work fine for a while and then out of nowhere the sync relationship would get corrupted and I'd have to redo it all.

it was at that point I decided it was either going to be a blackberry or an iphone. blackberry sounded appealing, but in the end I went with the iPhone and was very surprised. I was completely anti-iphone, but I guess I should have given it more time and thought before deciding to be so against it. now that I have it, I can't tell how you much I enjoy using it. I can tell you this though, The gripes I did have about it are still there. There are a few usability issues I have with it (no horizontal keyboard for texting, button layout for some programs wasn't well thoughout, and a few other UI issues), i'm a bit of UI nut

If you are looking for a phone for corporate use, I'm no where near convinced that the iphone is ready for the corproate world. Sure it supports exchange, but if you use it, yoru calendars and contacts follow suit. there's no dilineation between personal and work calendar information that I could find when using exchange. And so I stopped using exchange because I didn't want my personal stuff syncing with my work calendar.

What you will fall in love with on the iphone are the apps. I've probably spent over $50 in apps since I got the phone at the end of decemeber, and they are mostly games, but theree are just as many free apps as well (Bank of America, Paypal, yellow pages, Facebook, ebay, amazon, ...).

I think you'll like it, but it will require you to change the way you use your phone because it doesn't handle task management like winmo did. I ended up buying "things" for os x, and buying it's companion iphone app so that I can have task management functionaltiy on my iphone. Also, notes don't sync up which is another one of my gripes. I'm very surprised there isn't an iNote app on OS X and a companion iNote app on iphone where one can simply take notes and sync them up. There is a notes app on iphone, but it can't be synced.
Wow! thanks for all the information!!!! what about battery life??????
Old 03-12-2009, 02:57 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I'm still thinking about jailbreaking mines but not really. The thing that bothers me the most is the crappy speaker volume. Other than that..... meh its fine the way it is
Old 03-12-2009, 03:28 PM
Team Owner

Wow! thanks for all the information!!!! what about battery life??????
When I don't run processor or graphics heavy apps my battery life is pretty decent. I also try to keep the brightness setting a little on the low side to extend battery life. And I only turn on wi-fi and bluetooh as needed. keeping bluetooth and wi-fi turned on will drain your battery, probably in less than a day. I haven't done it yet because I don't keep both on all the time, but when I have kept one or the other on for long periods of time, my battery life is pretty crappy.

when i play games like fieldrunners, pocket god, word fu, battery life is miserable, but that's not the phones fault. the games are really just that intense on the graphics and processor usage.

The part that really sucks is that if your battery does go south, you gotta send it in to get fixed.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:29 PM

When I don't run processor or graphics heavy apps my battery life is pretty decent. I also try to keep the brightness setting a little on the low side to extend battery life. And I only turn on wi-fi and bluetooh as needed. keeping bluetooth and wi-fi turned on will drain your battery, probably in less than a day. I haven't done it yet because I don't keep both on all the time, but when I have kept one or the other on for long periods of time, my battery life is pretty crappy.

when i play games like fieldrunners, pocket god, word fu, battery life is miserable, but that's not the phones fault. the games are really just that intense on the graphics and processor usage.

The part that really sucks is that if your battery does go south, you gotta send it in to get fixed.
This a huge info...thanks so much!... my son has an iTouch which got me lookin at the iPhone...

I just kept seeing peeps postin that they were having really poor battery life and I am already there with my current rig...so that is good news...I really need a phone that I can use for most of the day on one good overnite charge... the TP needs a charge by 10am!!!!

I really use my phone less than I used to since I got wireless for my laptop and I do not get info via a server at work either... mani just need a phone for calls, email and texying with some lite web work...

BTW are there any types of documents that the iPhone will not open?

Last edited by DarkSithCL; 03-12-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Team Owner

I just kept seeing peeps postin that they were having really poor battery life and I am already there with my current rig...so that is good news...I really need a phone that I can use for most of the day on one good overnite charge... the TP needs a charge by 10am!!!!

I really use my phone less than I used to since I got wireless for my laptop and I do not get info via a server at work either... mani just need a phone for calls, email and texying with some lite web work...

BTW are there any types of documents that the iPhone will not open?
the iphone doesn't open any documents as far as I know. Like I said, it's no where near what a business/corporate phone should be.

You should flip through the iPhone user Guide:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/iPhone_User_Guide.pdf

you may be able to open documents using third party apps but I am not familiar with any of those that do so i can't provide any quality feedback about them.

As for battery life, how much you talk on the phone, whether you use bluetooth while making those calls all play a factor in the battery life. So for me to say my battery life is good, take that with a grain of salt because how you use your phone is probably far different than how I use mine.

I do more texting than making calls on my phone so that probably has helped the most in improving battery life on my phone.

<cite>
</cite><cite></cite>

Last edited by Sly Raskal; 03-12-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:46 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

If you are looking for a phone for corporate use, I'm no where near convinced that the iphone is ready for the corproate world. Sure it supports exchange, but if you use it, your calendars and contacts follow suit. there's no dilineation between personal and work calendar information that I could find when using exchange. And so I stopped using exchange because I didn't want my personal stuff syncing with my work calendar.
Just to clarify this a bit, if you sync an Exchange calendar, then that is the only calendar you can maintain on your phone. You can, however, individually choose whether or not to sync mail, calendar, and contacts. You don't have to sync all three categories if you want to talk to Exchange. But yes, the Exchange calendar is an all-or-nothing proposition.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:54 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
the iphone doesn't open any documents as far as I know. Like I said, it's no where near what a business/corporate phone should be.

You should flip through the iPhone user Guide:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/iPhone_User_Guide.pdf

you may be able to open documents using third party apps but I am not familiar with any of those that do so i can't provide any quality feedback about them.

As for battery life, how much you talk on the phone, whether you use bluetooth while making those calls all play a factor in the battery life. So for me to say my battery life is good, take that with a grain of salt because how you use your phone is probably far different than how I use mine.

I do more texting than making calls on my phone so that probably has helped the most in improving battery life on my phone.

<cite>
</cite><cite></cite>
You can open docs as email attachments, if that's what you mean.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:06 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Billiam
Just to clarify this a bit, if you sync an Exchange calendar, then that is the only calendar you can maintain on your phone. You can, however, individually choose whether or not to sync mail, calendar, and contacts. You don't have to sync all three categories if you want to talk to Exchange. But yes, the Exchange calendar is an all-or-nothing proposition.
the all or nothing calendar solution is a buzz kill for me.

But thanks for the clarification, i should have mentioned that the calendar implementation was different than the mail and contacts implementation.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
yeah, tiff, doc, and pdf are manily what i need to look over when away from my laptop... does it open any of these as email attachments?
Old 03-12-2009, 05:10 PM
Team Owner

Yup, but it's not like winmo where you have a filexplorer and you can open documents outside of reading mail unless you get some third party app.

And opening the email attachments is read-only which is still handy, but if they want this to be a true blackberry competitor they need to make some way of allowing you to work with office documents without buying a third party app.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:11 PM
Team Owner

yeah, tiff, doc, and pdf are manily what i need to look over when away from my laptop... does it open any of these as email attachments?
I just tried an excel file and it opened that. looking for a pdf in my email right now to check.
My Garage

Negative on Tiff

Affirmative on Word, Excel, PDF

I usually have about 20% left by 6pm, but that's cause I do a lot of web surfing and have wifi and Bluetooth on all the time. Doesn't bother me cause I just pop it in my charger when I get home.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:12 PM
Team Owner

Go to page 51 of the user guide I linked to in a previous message. it lists all the fletypes that you can open as attachements. pdf, doc, and docx are on the list. tiff wasn't explicitly shown on the list.

.doc Microsoft Word
.docx Microsoft Word (XML)
.htm webpage
.html webpage
.key Keynote
.numbers Numbers
.pages Pages
.pdf Preview, Adobe Acrobat
.ppt Microsoft PowerPoint
.pptx Microsoft PowerPoint (XML)
.txt text
.vcf contact information
.xls Microsoft Excel
.xlsx Microsoft Excel (XML)
Old 03-12-2009, 05:13 PM
My Garage

Yup, but it's not like winmo where you have a filexplorer and you can open documents outside of reading mail unless you get some third party app.

And opening the email attachments is read-only which is still handy, but if they want this to be a true blackberry competitor they need to make some way of allowing you to work with office documents without buying a third party app.
True dat
Old 03-12-2009, 05:14 PM
My Garage

Go to page 51 of the user guide I linked to in a previous message. it lists all the fletypes that you can open as attachements. pdf, doc, and docx are on the list. tiff wasn't explicitly shown on the list.

.doc Microsoft Word
.docx Microsoft Word (XML)
.htm webpage
.html webpage
.key Keynote
.numbers Numbers
.pages Pages
.pdf Preview, Adobe Acrobat
.ppt Microsoft PowerPoint
.pptx Microsoft PowerPoint (XML)
.txt text
.vcf contact information
.xls Microsoft Excel
.xlsx Microsoft Excel (XML)
I just tried a tiff myself, no go
Old 03-12-2009, 05:17 PM
Team Owner

I just tried a tiff myself, no go
strange that you can open images with your photo viewer, but not as attachments. Another lovely apple feature. Then again, I haven't tried opening a tiff with photo viewer.

Quick Reply: Apple: iPhone News and Discussion Thread