Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 11:20 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,234 Likes on 823 Posts
Originally Posted by ChodTheWacko
I think you're overthinking.

The watches are going to keep track of time on their own, just like normal watches. You're not going to push the time to the watch every second! That'd totally kill battery life.

I've installed my fair share of broken/crashing apps on my pebble, but nothing has caused the pebble to totally hang. The watch OS is far more stable than phone OSes since it's simpler and you don't have all the carrier bloat/etc.
I have put some apps on the pebble that doesnt work as advertised, but nothing that crashes or hangs.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:01 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,134 Likes on 816 Posts
I think you're overthinking.

The watches are going to keep track of time on their own, just like normal watches. You're not going to push the time to the watch every second! That'd totally kill battery life.

I've installed my fair share of broken/crashing apps on my pebble, but nothing has caused the pebble to totally hang. The watch OS is far more stable than phone OSes since it's simpler and you don't have all the carrier bloat/etc.
Hopefully you are right. I'll wait for the early adopters to sort this out first.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:31 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Whiskers
I have put some apps on the pebble that doesnt work as advertised, but nothing that crashes or hangs.
I certainly have had some apps that crashed, but nothing that caused the watch to hang.

I'm kinda curious about Android Wear. I'll probably get a moto 360 if the price isn't horribly obnoxious (I fully expect it to cost more than the others). It'll be a dealbreaker if it has to be charged more than once a day though. Screw that. I'm not real happy about 'must charge every night' after being spoiled by 3-4 day charges on the pebble.

Having google now via microphone on the watch is pretty neat though, and it'll be nice to finally be able to reply to messages.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:33 AM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
I too am pretty curious about Android Wear, but not curious enough to shell out for either of the current offerings. The Moto 360 intrigues me too, but I think you're right. It probably will cost more than the others.

Don't know that charging every night would be such a dealbreaker for me. I always leave my watch in the same place anyway. Only difference would be that I'd be leaving it on a charging cradle instead of just sitting it on the counter. Would be inconvenient for travel though. Either way, I just blew my toy budget on a tablet so won't have to worry about it for a while. Sadly, I went in to look at the Gear Neo watch in person. Had no intention of looking at tablets.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:29 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Well, it's been a week since I've had the M8, and I can say that it's the best phone I've ever used. Everything about the phone is top notch. The last time I had an HTC phone was the Glacier, and that phone had quite a bit of problems, but it looks like HTC has really stepped up since then.

Coming from a Nexus phone, the changes made in Sense is very minimal. After a week of use, I think the changes over stock Android are actually quite nice. The only thing I prefer on stock Android is the timer feature in the clock app.

I don't even know why people complain about it's camera. My wife uses iPhones, and even she thinks that the camera on the M8 is better.
The following users liked this post:
Mugen.Justice (07-14-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 12:50 AM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
Anyone try to get the LG G3 for free or $50?

http://slickdeals.net/f/7055760-at-t...ct-bestbuy?v=1

I just picked up a brand new Nexus 5 or else I'd be all over this right now. That and my contract isn't over yet with AT&T until May of next year. My HTC One's GPS decided to go kaputz on me for no reason. It sees the satellites but just never locks. Never dropped this phone so I don't even know why it just decided to stop working.

Gonna try to see if they'll repair my phone otherwise my One is useless for navigating and the like. I could use an external BT GPS which I do have on the side but it would be a hassle connecting/disconnecting it each time. Also the reason for the Nexus 5 pickup which I'm running Android L on.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:53 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by F-C
Well, it's been a week since I've had the M8, and I can say that it's the best phone I've ever used. Everything about the phone is top notch. The last time I had an HTC phone was the Glacier, and that phone had quite a bit of problems, but it looks like HTC has really stepped up since then.

Coming from a Nexus phone, the changes made in Sense is very minimal. After a week of use, I think the changes over stock Android are actually quite nice. The only thing I prefer on stock Android is the timer feature in the clock app.

I don't even know why people complain about it's camera. My wife uses iPhones, and even she thinks that the camera on the M8 is better.
Yeah for social sharing the M7/M8 camera works just fine. Its when you look at it on your computer and try to zoom in where it starts to show its weakness. As long as you only use your phone for sharing photos on social networks, the HTC One camera is fine. My girlfriend also loves the camera on the One and asks to use it every time we're out. Well that and her iPhone's battery is craptastic for some reason so its almost always dead by lunch time every day. I was actually thinking of picking an M8 instead of the Nexus 5 but decided I needed an interim phone until my contract is over in May so I didn't want to spend too much...
Old 07-13-2014, 09:03 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
Yeah for social sharing the M7/M8 camera works just fine. Its when you look at it on your computer and try to zoom in where it starts to show its weakness. As long as you only use your phone for sharing photos on social networks, the HTC One camera is fine. My girlfriend also loves the camera on the One and asks to use it every time we're out. Well that and her iPhone's battery is craptastic for some reason so its almost always dead by lunch time every day. I was actually thinking of picking an M8 instead of the Nexus 5 but decided I needed an interim phone until my contract is over in May so I didn't want to spend too much...
All of this. Don't take pictures of things you actually care about with this camera, use a real one or another phone. I love my M7 except for this, so much I've not really cared that much what comes out.

The iPhone 6 if it's 4.7" will tempt me, though.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:11 PM
Safety Car

Here's an app that allows Chromecast mirroring on your phone that aren't supported yet:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/hard...evice-t2812193

You'll need root and be on KitKat! The mirroring is awesome and I'm glad I held off on a miracast adapter. So close to spending money on one but the reviews kept holding me back. Chromecast mirroring will depend on your router and network. It works great on my Wireles N network with very minimal lag and sound is pretty synced up. Its almost similar to casting from my desktop but again this will depend on your router and network.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:48 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
The camera's fine, not just for social media, but for making photo books as well. Unless you have some reason to x2 zoom of your photos, it's perfectly okay.

Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
All of this. Don't take pictures of things you actually care about with this camera, use a real one or another phone. I love my M7 except for this, so much I've not really cared that much what comes out.
That would be the same for any phone camera. If you want a real photo, use a proper camera.
Mugen.Justice (07-14-2014)
Old 07-17-2014, 10:23 AM
Moderator Alumnus

This is encouraging:
Moto 360 spotting:
http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/15/59...0-this-morning

My biggest concern, I think, is battery life.
And cost, I guess. I'm hoping it's $300, but I think I'd drop, at most, $400 on it.

I'm trying to think of a really useful Wear app, there a lot of silly ones out there that miss the point of a smartwatch. (like keyboard - who the hell wants to type on a watch? Nice for adding in punctuation, but that's it)

Last edited by ChodTheWacko; 07-17-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
This is encouraging:
Moto 360 spotting:
http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/15/59...0-this-morning

My biggest concern, I think, is battery life.
And cost, I guess. I'm hoping it's $300, but I think I'd drop, at most, $400 on it.

I'm trying to think of a really useful Wear app, there a lot of silly ones out there that miss the point of a smartwatch. (like keyboard - who the hell wants to type on a watch? Nice for adding in punctuation, but that's it)
I was reading a post about the keyboard, and think of it as a good way to respond to texts that just require a few words. Like "Yes" or "No." This in a situation where you can't talk out loud. Other than that it won't be useful.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:28 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

I'd imagine that you can use speech-typing on the watch.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by F-C
I'd imagine that you can use speech-typing on the watch.
Yup. Thats the main way you'd use, but you arent always in a position to talk to your watch
Old 07-21-2014, 12:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,307 Likes on 960 Posts
Got 4.4.2 on my ATT Note 2. Popup Browser doesn't work anymore
Old 07-21-2014, 12:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I played around with the LG G3 in store but didn't really like it. Great phone, just not for me and didn't really want to pay 600$ for a phone yet (Tmobile).

So I purchased the Sony Z Ultra google play edition for 349 and should be getting it soon. I think it'll be an interesting experience.

I needed a phone asap since my nexus 4 decided to die on me yesterday. The phone won't charge and when it does, it won't go over 40% and reboot by itself with ghost touches randomly. I can still use it but it reboots too much to use it steadily. It occasionally gives off the 'red blink of death' but the phone hasn't completely died yet. I've searched but haven't really found a solution.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:08 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Doom878
Got 4.4.2 on my ATT Note 2. Popup Browser doesn't work anymore
How's it running otherwise? I'm waiting on Tmobile to get their shit together, I think we're the last note 2's to get the update to 4.4.2.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:14 PM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
Originally Posted by jangkai
I played around with the LG G3 in store but didn't really like it. Great phone, just not for me and didn't really want to pay 600$ for a phone yet (Tmobile).

So I purchased the Sony Z Ultra google play edition for 349 and should be getting it soon. I think it'll be an interesting experience.

I needed a phone asap since my nexus 4 decided to die on me yesterday. The phone won't charge and when it does, it won't go over 40% and reboot by itself with ghost touches randomly. I can still use it but it reboots too much to use it steadily. It occasionally gives off the 'red blink of death' but the phone hasn't completely died yet. I've searched but haven't really found a solution.
Yikes! The Z Ultra is a massive phone with mediocre screen!

Did you factory reset your Nexus 4?
Old 07-21-2014, 01:56 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
How's it running otherwise? I'm waiting on Tmobile to get their shit together, I think we're the last note 2's to get the update to 4.4.2.
I was forced to upgrade it last night after delaying it for a day so not enough experience yet. I did up end up getting floating browser to run so I don't have to leave the app to go on the internet. So far though it seems a little smoother but I haven't played with any of the new features. My phone would get stuck where it wouldn't wake up for a good minute when it connected to my car radio for bluetooth. Bluetooth was a real drainer of memory. So far it seems to run smooth. Let's see how it is today with GPS and BT on and I'm running Waze.

Originally Posted by TSXy Luster
Yikes! The Z Ultra is a massive phone with mediocre screen!

Did you factory reset your Nexus 4?
No flash killed it for me too on the Z Ultra.
CarbonGray Earl (07-21-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 10:31 PM
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
I could not put up with my POS Galaxy SII anymore (yes...yes...I was still rocking the SII...)

Finally pulled the trigger on an M7. I'm back into the HTC family.

(Photos courtesy of, you guessed it - my POS Galaxy SII)

Originally Posted by CocheseUGA

That's the general impression I'm getting too - it's a camera for social media photos and performs decently enough in that aspect.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Yeah I've played around with the Z Ultra before at a Sony retail store (closed now) and didn't mind the huge size. Camera sucks and there is no flash but I carry around my Nex 7 quite often so it won't be a huge problem.

I shall try the factory reset once my new phone arrives and I switch over. Funny enough, my N4 hasn't reset itself in the last five hours. Thanks for the advice!

As for the Xperia Z2, its finally available on the Sony website for... 699 nearly five months after its release and when ebay sellers are unloading them for 590 or so. Also the Z3 is around the corner. Sony really doesn't care about the US cellular market it seems.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:50 AM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Have you looked into swappa? There's a lot of XDA members that buy and sell on it.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:28 AM
Goodbye.

Originally Posted by jangkai
Sony really doesn't care about the US cellular market it seems.
They have blatantly said that they do not because they know they won't make a dent now without having a budget for Apple and Samsung's style of advertising.

They might one day re-enter the US market properly with a huge bang, but don't hold your breath unless you want to donate a billion dollars for advertising to them lol.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:42 AM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
I think the proximity sensor on my HTC One M7 is taking a shit. It seems like I can't make a phone call anymore without the screen coming on and my face hitting the speaker button, mute button or even sometimes both. Really annoying.

With that said... I don't know if it is worth trying a factory reset and seeing if that works, but I don't know if there is a benefit to that. Being a new phone coming out soon worth waiting for? I am eligible for an upgrade now and was going to go today, but i'm still not even sure what phone I want.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:33 AM
Team Owner

I was forced to upgrade it last night after delaying it for a day so not enough experience yet. I did up end up getting floating browser to run so I don't have to leave the app to go on the internet. So far though it seems a little smoother but I haven't played with any of the new features. My phone would get stuck where it wouldn't wake up for a good minute when it connected to my car radio for bluetooth. Bluetooth was a real drainer of memory. So far it seems to run smooth. Let's see how it is today with GPS and BT on and I'm running Waze.
Ok Note 2 on AT&T 4.4.2 seems to run smoother than 4.3 and was worth the upgrade. It doesn't get all stuck when bluetooth is on. I can easily lock/unlock my phone without delay.

I will say that after having my phone on all day and then running BT on my home stereo even while charged still drains battery but at a slower rate. I still restart my phone every night before bed as leaving it on for a few days makes Android buggy.

Google maps is giving me issues. I got entirely wrong directions last night trying to find a condo because it kept telling me to leave the complex entirely. Also when I want to zoom into the house itself it doesn't allow a real close zoom like before. And lastly the annoying agree/disagree about sharing info EVERY TIME I open Maps.

I love that the music album art is spread on the entire lock screen. A perk of having a large screen.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:00 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Originally Posted by SwervinCL
I think the proximity sensor on my HTC One M7 is taking a shit. It seems like I can't make a phone call anymore without the screen coming on and my face hitting the speaker button, mute button or even sometimes both. Really annoying.

With that said... I don't know if it is worth trying a factory reset and seeing if that works, but I don't know if there is a benefit to that. Being a new phone coming out soon worth waiting for? I am eligible for an upgrade now and was going to go today, but i'm still not even sure what phone I want.
LG G3 it is.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:59 PM
Goodbye.

LG G3 it is.
Best phone you can get right now.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:14 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Originally Posted by TSXy Luster
Best phone you can get right now.
I haven't been able to put it down since I got it.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:59 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
anyone else with MotoX:

Go to SETTINGS>APP>ALL

Do you have an app called 'ADAM' with basically unlimited permissions? No one seems to know what this is. Cant disable it, cant remove it...
Old 07-25-2014, 05:22 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I will say that after having my phone on all day and then running BT on my home stereo even while charged still drains battery but at a slower rate. I
Assuming you're saying your phone drains battery even while on the charger - check your charger and/or cables. Either one being bad can make a huge difference. In my car, I can have the screen on full brightness, bluetooth on, gps on, nav running, music playing, and it still charges. Doesn't get much worse than that.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:29 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

^Gotta check the output rating on the charger. Some of mine are .6mA, .85, 1.1, 1.8, 2.1...

My current phone is .85mA and my Nexus7 charger is 1.8mA I think.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by stogie1020
anyone else with MotoX:

Go to SETTINGS>APP>ALL

Do you have an app called 'ADAM' with basically unlimited permissions? No one seems to know what this is. Cant disable it, cant remove it...
No sir I do not... ADAM is the whole name?

I got my N7 back from Asus and hopefully the restarting thing is fixed. But my battery died really quick. It was still a day but I barely used it. There was no idle. It just went straight down.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:23 AM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Originally Posted by stogie1020
anyone else with MotoX:

Go to SETTINGS>APP>ALL

I don't have it.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Chrome Beta is updated to how it should look like in android L
Old 07-28-2014, 06:59 AM
Team Owner

Assuming you're saying your phone drains battery even while on the charger - check your charger and/or cables. Either one being bad can make a huge difference. In my car, I can have the screen on full brightness, bluetooth on, gps on, nav running, music playing, and it still charges. Doesn't get much worse than that.
I think it's my condo actually. I'm still using the OEM charger that came with my phone. The phone charges no problem after a fresh restart. At my girlfriend's place it charged super fast even without a restart.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:55 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,944 Likes on 1,446 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by is300eater:
Doom878 (07-30-2014), F-C (07-29-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 06:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Old 07-29-2014, 06:13 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Originally Posted by speedemon90
No sir I do not... ADAM is the whole name?

I got my N7 back from Asus and hopefully the restarting thing is fixed. But my battery died really quick. It was still a day but I barely used it. There was no idle. It just went straight down.
I don't have it.
Grrr...

Looks like someone discovered it's com.motorola.adamsvc

which someone decompiled to:

http://pastebin.com/CtGcczLX

Still does not tell me what it is though...

Last edited by stogie1020; 07-29-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Adam is part of a diagnostic tool we use in pre-production software builds for networking quality. It was left in a few consumer builds but it's disabled. It doesn't collect or send any data so it is safe to ignore.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2662949

guess you're fine
Old 07-29-2014, 06:21 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

OK, not totally comforted but I guess i don't have a choice...

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread