Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

NFL: 2011 Draft and Off-Season News and Discussion Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 12:50 PM
Bent = #1

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockstar21

PP7 was best football player.
Couldn't even stop Cam, so no.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:58 PM
Bent = #1

Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
TV pays much, much more.

None of the draft experts are perfect. I guarantee no one got last night right. But as much as you want to make it personal against Cam and Auburn, the simple fact is that there are few who believe that spread option QBs are a viable, long-term option in the NFL. As for Brady, he ran into a new regime who didn't believe in him. I thought he played decently well, but got shipped off in one of the dumbest/best trades in recent memory. It's all a matter of luck, really. Tom Brady doesn't go to the Patriots he's selling insurance. Ryan Leaf doesn't blow off an interview with the Colts, he might still be playing - not like Manning, but perhaps not a total flameout. Brett Favre doesn't get traded from the Falcons, he's a drunkard at Underground.

It's undeniable that he's got some freaky physical skills. But as so many have said before, the NFL is like you're playing a completely different game. Players are bigger, stronger, faster - even from the SEC. And if Carolina wants to keep him around, they'll need to limit his runs - which makes him have to trust his reads and be willing to stay in or near the pocket for longer.

Mike Mayock said that he watched every single game that he played in, and that the reads were very simple and wouldn't translate well. Now since I didn't watch every game and didn't look for that, I have to take his word for that.

There's definitely concern, especially if the coaching staff isn't all that spectacular or the line has a bad year. He is without doubt the biggest risk-reward player in this draft.
I agree that he has a huge task in front of him, and that it will be a learning process. My gripe is people saying he doesn't like football, can't learn the offense, character issues, etc. What has shown them he doesn't like football? Why can't he learn the offense? Is it because he's never done it before? Andrew Luck is an anomaly, and will be one of the most prepared college QBs entering the NFL.

The reads may be simple, but it works! Gus Malzahn has had a new QB for 5 straight years, and every year has set offensive records.. his offense WORKS. Why does he need to use complex reads for the QB? That doesn't mean his QBs can't do more complex stuff, its just that they haven't needed to. Like I said the Panthers gave Cam a playbook and tested him on it.. they had to have been satisfied with the outcome or they wouldn't have drafted him.

I see the risk in drafting Cam, but it's frustrating to only hear the negative about him, especially when it's false information.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:12 PM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Originally Posted by hornyleprechaun
I agree that he has a huge task in front of him, and that it will be a learning process. My gripe is people saying he doesn't like football, can't learn the offense, character issues, etc. What has shown them he doesn't like football? Why can't he learn the offense? Is it because he's never done it before? Andrew Luck is an anomaly, and will be one of the most prepared college QBs entering the NFL.

The reads may be simple, but it works! Gus Malzahn has had a new QB for 5 straight years, and every year has set offensive records.. his offense WORKS. Why does he need to use complex reads for the QB? That doesn't mean his QBs can't do more complex stuff, its just that they haven't needed to. Like I said the Panthers gave Cam a playbook and tested him on it.. they had to have been satisfied with the outcome or they wouldn't have drafted him.

I see the risk in drafting Cam, but it's frustrating to only hear the negative about him, especially when it's false information.
Part of measuring prospects is comparing them to what has come before. This is who I could find that came from similar, or as close to similar systems as I could find:

Vince Young
Alex Smith
Tim Tebow
Dennis Dixon
Pat White

The last three there isn't enough empirical data on.

The best comparison seems to be Roethlisberger, with the size and athletic ability. I don't know, though, what the distribution of plays was in that system in 2003. For Cam, the number I heard was almost 50/50. As Ben has shown in the NFL, that isn't sustainable.

If he's got the heart and brains to master the best system for him, if the coaches give him the weapons he needs (and if those coaches don't get fired in year three or give him a new OC every year like Smith), and he uses his legs as a weapon and not an escape clause, then he's got a great chance of having a 8+ year career. But, it's a lot of ifs.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:17 PM
Return of the Ring

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Doom878
Okay I like Pouncey and yes they're going to try to play him at center. I think our running attack will improve.
This. I was pleasantly surprised that the Fins got him. The interior of their O-line has been in flux the last couple of years but with Pouncey to shore up the middle, assuming Long & Carey stay healthy at the tackles, they should be in much better shape. Kinda glad they didn't draft Ingram, as expected.

Anybody know what Ricky's status is? Awhile back I had read that he's almost definitely gone this year. I wonder if they'll draft a lesser RB in the later rounds, to compliment Ronnie Brown until he turns 30 next year.

Last edited by elessar; 04-29-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:21 PM
Banned

Pouncey will have to improve his shotgun snaps.

But if he's got the work ethic his brother does, it'll work out. Kinda cool that he repped a Fins hat for his bro last night.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:44 PM
Bent = #1

Part of measuring prospects is comparing them to what has come before. This is who I could find that came from similar, or as close to similar systems as I could find:

Vince Young
Alex Smith
Tim Tebow
Dennis Dixon
Pat White

The best comparison seems to be Roethlisberger, with the size and athletic ability. I don't know, though, what the distribution of plays was in that system in 2003. For Cam, the number I heard was almost 50/50. As Ben has shown in the NFL, that isn't sustainable.

If he's got the heart and brains to master the best system for him, if the coaches give him the weapons he needs (and if those coaches don't get fired in year three or give him a new OC every year like Smith), and he uses his legs as a weapon and not an escape clause, then he's got a great chance of having a 8+ year career. But, it's a lot of ifs.
Young - Cam throws better and scored 5X higher on the Wonderlic test.
Smith - Don't know much about him, just know he has sucked at the 49ers.
Tebow - Only been in the league 1 year, and had terrible mechanics coming in.
Dixon - Don't know how he's been doing in the NFL. Still with the Steelers?
White - Not even comparable to Cam.

Cam's comparison to Big Ben is the best one, but Big Ben had experience under center at Miami (OH). That's something Cam hasn't had, but that is something that can be practiced with his center.

Even Cam won't want to run 50/50 in the NFL, but it worked at Auburn. I'm sure the Panthers will put in some running plays, but Cam is not a run first guy like Mike Vick, but a pass first guy like Big Ben.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:33 PM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
Old 04-29-2011, 02:47 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
anyone else find it funny that after the Lions get Fairley, Bears and GB both pick up OL? haha, well that was probably their biggest need anyways, but I wouldn't be surprised if the vikes follow suit in the 2nd.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:55 PM
The Dumb One

gotta stop him somehow
Old 04-29-2011, 02:56 PM
on to the next one...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Osamu
anyone else find it funny that after the Lions get Fairley, Bears and GB both pick up OL? haha, well that was probably their biggest need anyways, but I wouldn't be surprised if the vikes follow suit in the 2nd.
I hope so. The Vike's O-line is overrated, over-paid and aged.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:59 PM
The Dumb One

those teams all need a way to stop clay matthews anyway.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:00 PM
Bent = #1

We've already had this discussion and I have video proof of Cam running through PP.

PP didn't take over a game because he couldn't. Cam was the best player last year.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:10 PM
The Dumb One

THROUGH!?

you must have wet dreams of this guy.. your perception of him seriously gets more and more screwy over time..

its also great that you repeatedly refer to his skill based on a single touchdown run rather that what he accomplished over the season..

even espn analyst gave him (cam) the most valuable player tag.

peterson was referred to several times as the best "football player" both at his position and mentally...
if the heisman voters didnt suck the cock of offensive players... peterson wins it. the fact that he was even in the running was enough to showcase his skill.

Last edited by Rockstar21; 04-29-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:14 PM
i heart latin chicks

Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts
Don't you remember Brady Quinn being a sure fire QB at the next level and with each pick McGay was getting more upset that Brady wasn't taken. Brady lasted 1 year in the NFL.

If those guys were so good why aren't they working for an NFL team?
dude we gave away the house for Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuulio

hes a great player and I'm excited to have him... but god damn we gave up a lot of picks
Old 04-29-2011, 03:21 PM
Banned

Hard to take over a game as a DB. Well, unless your name is Jay Cutler.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:22 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,307 Likes on 960 Posts

Vince Young
Alex Smith
Tim Tebow
Dennis Dixon
Pat White

Yeah I think the majority thinks Cam will be good but many consider him a project rather like a sure thing than the other 4 taken in the top 5.

Pat White was a little guy and drafted for the Wildcat since Ronnie Brown ain't a great thrower. He was a waste at 2nd round and is playing baseball now.

Originally Posted by elessar
This. I was pleasantly surprised that the Fins got him. The interior of their O-line has been in flux the last couple of years but with Pouncey to shore up the middle, assuming Long & Carey stay healthy at the tackles, they should be in much better shape. Kinda glad they didn't draft Ingram, as expected.

Anybody know what Ricky's status is? Awhile back I had read that he's almost definitely gone this year. I wonder if they'll draft a lesser RB in the later rounds, to compliment Ronnie Brown until he turns 30 next year.
They're gone. Ronnie hates management and Ricky is likely gone too.

Pouncey will have to improve his shotgun snaps.

But if he's got the work ethic his brother does, it'll work out. Kinda cool that he repped a Fins hat for his bro last night.
Nice!

They meant projected in the pros. PP is probably more prepared to make an impact faster and be overall better.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:23 PM
Banned

THROUGH!?

you must have wet dreams of this guy.. your perception of him seriously gets more and more screwy over time..

its also great that you repeatedly refer to his skill based on a single touchdown run rather that what he accomplished over the season..

peterson was referred to several times as the best "football player" both at his position and mentally...

if the heisman voters didnt suck the cock of offensive players... peterson wins it. the fact that he was even in the running was enough to showcase his skill.
You (horny) do seem to think of him as our last, best hope for peace.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:04 PM
Bent = #1

Originally Posted by Doom878
They meant projected in the pros. PP is probably more prepared to make an impact faster and be overall better.
I do think PP was the most NFL ready player in the draft.

THROUGH!?

Single touchdown? Cam ran through several people on the goal line last season. He also had some other incredible long runs against some good defenses. PP had a couple ST TDs early in the season that caused LSU fans to jizz in their pants.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:10 PM
Drifting

those teams all need a way to stop clay matthews anyway.
yea, and the vikes d-line isn't retired yet. QBs are definitely set to be beat up in the North.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:16 PM
Banned

I do think PP was the most NFL ready player in the draft.

Single touchdown? Cam ran through several people on the goal line last season. He also had some other incredible long runs against some good defenses. PP had a couple ST TDs early in the season that caused LSU fans to jizz in their pants.

STDs?
Old 04-29-2011, 08:11 PM
Bent = #1

STDs?
ST TDs

Special Teams Touchdowns!
Old 04-30-2011, 10:31 PM
Team Owner

I think had a nice draft getting Green and Dalton who could've gone mid 1st round. But no rb so maybe they go after a FA.

Miami didn't have any wtf picks for once. Potentially 2 day 1 starters and another that might start since he runs a 4.3 at wr. Was hoping for a qb though.

Mallet to the Pats interesting.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,792 Likes on 13,976 Posts
Pretty happy about Chicago's draft picks...they all addressed needs.

Not sure about the drama between them and the Ravens though. BUT, if I were Angelo, I'd man up and give the pick to Baltimore. He screwed up...
Old 05-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Post Appeals court sets June 3 hearing on NFL lockout fight

Story here: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...2_a3&eref=sihp
Old 05-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Team Owner

Schefter tweeted that we should know about stay by thursday
Old 07-20-2011, 02:26 PM
Return of the Ring

Michael Vick backs bill targeting dog fight spectators

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/07/19/was...ick/index.html

At the Capitol Hill news conference, organizers played some local television news coverage showing illicit cockfights, including the participants and the surrounding scene.

Vick told reporters the video took him right to the problem.

"To see the young kid walking with the cock, you know, was astonishing," Vick said. "It was taking place in a similar setting of what I've been around before.

"This is what our kids are being taught," he said, "and it's inhumane and it's pointless.

"That child could be doing so much more with his life, instead of walking around with a cock in his hand, waiting to fight, even if he's not involved, being there, his presence speaks volumes as to what goes on when people's heads are turned."

Old 07-20-2011, 02:28 PM
Return of the Ring

Manning looking to hit open market

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...=si_topstories

With the Colts since 1998, Peyton Manning is now the subject of significant speculation. When it comes to NFL big names, no one wields more cachet than [Manning]. With the owners and players about to strike a deal for a new collective bargaining agreement, Manning, a named plaintiff in the lawsuit against the league, is reportedly making a power play. According to a report from the Boston Globe, and later confirmed by CBSSports.com, Manning is looking to hit the open market when the lawsuit is settled. Manning would like his current franchise tag from the Colts removed and to never have that designation again. That would take Manning from being locked with Indianapolis for one year at about $23.7 million to an unrestricted free agent, making him a high priority to re-sign for a lucrative long-term deal.
He should take his talents to South Beach.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by elessar
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...=si_topstories

He should take his talents to South Beach.
LeManning!
Old 07-21-2011, 10:46 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
Really fucking annoying how Sportscenter always has "breaking news" about the lockout. They have "breaking news" about it every hour.. 'they seem like they will come to an agreement soon' etc..

How about shut the fuck up about the stupid fucking lockout until it is over... oh wait, then they would have 30 minutes of TV air space to fill and would have to show baseball game highlights for the 8th time that hour.

/rant.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:41 AM
Team Owner

A lot of people were writing that the players would ratify last night as long as facilities would open immediately. Apparently a lot of the players don't like the deal. Another snag? One good news tidbit is that Mankins won't ask for compensation in the lawsuit settlement so that's one less hassle.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:28 AM
Q('.')=O

BREAKING NEWS: ESPN has more breaking news that the lockout should be over very soon! They are expected to come to an agreement today! (That is what they said two weeks ago)
Old 07-22-2011, 08:32 AM
Banned

Dude, change the channel or something.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:52 AM
Q('.')=O

There's nothing else to watch at 6:30am lol.

I'm ready for football!...College football!
Old 07-22-2011, 10:30 AM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
What Heath Evans said is all I needed to hear
Old 07-25-2011, 07:36 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,763 Likes on 2,538 Posts
I love the Eagles and all but seriously this has to be a joke. "Would like Farve to be Vicks backup" Come on really are we serious.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...l_pursue_favre
Old 07-25-2011, 07:47 AM
Niner Faithful

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Ah...finally going to concentrate on my fantasy football team when this CBA crap gets done today.

I think its going to be another long season for 49ers' fans ....Alex Smith back at the helm, new offensive system, probably another 7-9 or 8-8 season in the lowly NFC West where the Rams and Hawks reign supreme at 7-9.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:42 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,763 Likes on 2,538 Posts
There is a deal finally. Now let the free agent news begin.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 07-25-2011, 02:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
About f-in time. I agree with Ian, I'm so sick of watching this lockout sh-t on ESPN. Now I can hear about free agents, rookie signings, and preseason games.

Vick talking about Favre being his backup. Obviously, he's never played on the same team as Brett before.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:24 PM
Drifting

Sweet, finally can talk about asomough and maybe I'll even learn to spell his name.

Quick Reply: NFL: 2011 Draft and Off-Season News and Discussion Thread