Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

NBA Offseason Thread (Trades, Free Agents, Rumors)

Old 07-02-2008, 06:59 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yea, i just don't like radmonovic, and seems like the lakers have an abundance of centers now w/ mihm, mbenga, bynum, and even gasol and turiaf can play center.

if they plan on playing bynum, gasol, and odom as the starting line up front next year, they really don't have a lot of holes to fill though, as I think their weakest spot was the 3 spot, when odom was playing PF. I honestly don't think the lakers should make too many moves. I mean getting to the finals (rather easily as well) and losing doesn't mean you have to start to make any major moves. Maybe make a few moves with your bench, if you think you can improve some positions, and get a good return for players that you don't really use.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:16 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
What the hell is houston doing? I'm tired of houston not doing anything.

They really need to step up and get better bench players.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:18 PM
mmmmmm....

It is really sad to see B. Davis go.

I really liked the way GSW had.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Osamu
yea, i just don't like radmonovic, and seems like the lakers have an abundance of centers now w/ mihm, mbenga, bynum, and even gasol and turiaf can play center.

if they plan on playing bynum, gasol, and odom as the starting line up front next year, they really don't have a lot of holes to fill though, as I think their weakest spot was the 3 spot, when odom was playing PF. I honestly don't think the lakers should make too many moves. I mean getting to the finals (rather easily as well) and losing doesn't mean you have to start to make any major moves. Maybe make a few moves with your bench, if you think you can improve some positions, and get a good return for players that you don't really use.
Mbenga won't be back, turiaf was offered a contract.

Vlad isn't consistent enough, and is lost in the clouds sometimes. Bench player at best.

I kinda agree that they don't need to make moves, but should make them if a good opportunity arises. Even without making moves, Bynum and Ariza will make the Lakers a formidable defensive unit. The Lakers will get better with players coming back as opposed to trading for players.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by S14 n Tsx
What the hell is houston doing? I'm tired of houston not doing anything.

They really need to step up and get better bench players.
Still a team that rattled off 22 wins without one of the best, if not the best centers in the NBA, isn't such a bad thing. One or two additions maybe. A point guard if possible?

Last edited by CarbonGray Earl; 07-02-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:29 PM
mmmmmm....

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
Still a team that rattled off 22 wins without one of the best, if not the best centers in the NBA, isn't such a bad thing. One or two additions maybe. A point guard if possible?
and new bench?

I hope Yao stays strong this year w/o getting injured again.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they need a good SF/SG along side tracy
Old 07-02-2008, 07:33 PM
mmmmmm....

shane isn't going to cut it.

New SF/PG/ bench.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:37 PM
Safety Car

and new bench?

I hope Yao stays strong this year w/o getting injured again.
I agree with ya, but I think Yao makes a pretty big difference in the way everyone plays.

Still you're right-they need a better bench.

Do you Houston guys think the Rockets are contenders? 4th place without Yao, but a first round exit against Utah. They always seem to have the potential to be a dominant team.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:51 PM
Drifting

will the rockets resign mutumbo for another year or anything or his he retiring?

I've always really like mutumbo, and he really stepped up in yao's absence. It is amazing watching that old guy play.

what are you guys doing w/ stevie francis. I liked him too, and never really understood how he went downhill so fast. Maybe they can do a battier - artest trade if the kings are really tired of artest's crap, and just want a team player...
Old 07-02-2008, 07:59 PM
mmmmmm....

I never liked S. Francis. He is cocky and ball hugger. I'm glad he went down hill.

He gotta go.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:52 PM

I agree with ya, but I think Yao makes a pretty big difference in the way everyone plays.

Still you're right-they need a better bench.

Do you Houston guys think the Rockets are contenders? 4th place without Yao, but a first round exit against Utah. They always seem to have the potential to be a dominant team.
Even with Yao I do not think Houston are True contenders. Just being realistic. With Yao AT BEST will get them to the west finals. We need another althletic wing player than can shoot and slash to the basket as well as one to two new key reserves. Lets hope they're just being undercover and working one something big
Old 07-02-2008, 09:43 PM
Safety Car

^^Speaking of Houston, I heard a little buzz that Sasha Vujacic was offered 30 mil/5 years by the Rockets.

**disclaimer** Its an unverified rumor.

http://thelakersnation.com/blog/2008...-from-houston/

I don't know what to think about it, because while I really like him over this year (he improved drastically), he's a pretty emotional guy on the court. He is money but he can do some pretty bone headed things sometimes. You'll love him, but sometimes, you'll hate him.

Anyways, Lakers have a week to match.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:04 PM
I can't find my garage

hmm, interesting~
Old 07-02-2008, 10:11 PM
mmmmmm....

Sasha is a little emo player.

I don't like him and never will.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:19 PM
Drifting

i never likes sasha either. too streaky for my taste and takes a lot of bad shots. He did step up in a few games though when the Lakers needed him, so I'd be a little sad to see him go. Decent role player, but someone you can't count on every night. I'd let him go for that much, and try and get daniel gibson
Old 07-02-2008, 11:13 PM
Happy Holidays!

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Something about Sasha's attitude and body language that is super annoying.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:53 PM
Safety Car

I can't say I hate him. He had to fight his self-confidence problems, and it was good to see a player breakthrough.

However, he's very Euro-italian-soccer with his emotions on the court. Palms up, "why-me" look. He's a product of where he grew up. Its pretty dang annoying.

I'd like the Lakers to keep him, but at 30mil/5 years? I'd look at other options if I were them.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:38 AM

^^Speaking of Houston, I heard a little buzz that Sasha Vujacic was offered 30 mil/5 years by the Rockets.

**disclaimer** Its an unverified rumor.

http://thelakersnation.com/blog/2008...-from-houston/

I don't know what to think about it, because while I really like him over this year (he improved drastically), he's a pretty emotional guy on the court. He is money but he can do some pretty bone headed things sometimes. You'll love him, but sometimes, you'll hate him.

Anyways, Lakers have a week to match.
please say it ain't so... ....not a fan of the self proclaimed machine....he's not going to help us any...we already have a trigger happy pg and if we get sam back that'll be two shot first pass later players...

when i said hopefully the rockets are doing something big under cover i didn't mean do this....
Old 07-03-2008, 08:31 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,315 Likes on 968 Posts
Originally Posted by kosstick
loll um.... D wade and Marion chose to sit out longer than they had.. If they were playing for a playoff spot they would be magically healed..

They jsut tanked the end of the seasomn IM sure they could have played a lot of the games they missed but chose not to because it wasnt worth it..
Originally Posted by brianlin87
The team shut down marion/wade because they weren't in contention for playoffs anyway. They didn't want to risk the injury, not because they were injured.
I think we have different definitions of tanking. If you mean holding out personnel so they don't play the last 2 weeks of the season to get 2 more meaningless wins and get 17 instead of 15. If it means not risking D-Wade to further injury after having long term injuries each of the last few years. If it means having your roster 100% rather than 90% in November. Then yeah we're tankers. If you're implying Riley purposely sat guys to try maintain lottery balls than that's your own conspiracy and I can't change an 18 year old's mind because they know everything. Just messing with you. Seriously, it's pretty obvious that worst record in the league doesn't guarantee top pick. Just ask the World Champ Celtics.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:17 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by UNeeKLiNG
please say it ain't so... ....not a fan of the self proclaimed machine....he's not going to help us any...we already have a trigger happy pg and if we get sam back that'll be two shot first pass later players...

when i said hopefully the rockets are doing something big under cover i didn't mean do this....
I know. Even as a Laker fan, I find him annoying sometimes.

BTW, in his defense, Stu Lantz and Joel Meyers gave him "the Machine" nickname. Its because he automatically shot when he got the ball, like he was a ball shooting machine.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:33 AM
Happy Holidays!

Corey Maggette is talking with the Spurs.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:37 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer
Corey Maggette is talking with the Spurs.
i think that's a good move for the spurs.

so i hope it doesn't go through.

<---- hates the spurs.

come to houston, corey!
Old 07-03-2008, 12:07 PM
I can't find my garage

i hate the spurs too
Old 07-03-2008, 12:08 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
i think that's a good move for the spurs.

so i hope it doesn't go through.

<---- hates the spurs.

come to houston, corey!
I hate the spurs too, and would MUCH rather see him in houston. I think he would be a good fit in houston, but they don't have any expiring contracts to make that kinda move at least right now.

I couldn't TRUELY hate the spurs, because I liked robert horry, and just when I think I can get back to REALLY hating them again, if they sign magette, that'll be another person i like on that team
Old 07-03-2008, 12:14 PM
I can't find my garage

^^
same same. only person i like on the spurs is horry too. i want to see maggette succeed, so going to spurs would be nice, but i hate to see spurs succeed.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Banned

I hate the spurs too, and would MUCH rather see him in houston. I think he would be a good fit in houston, but they don't have any expiring contracts to make that kinda move at least right now.

I couldn't TRUELY hate the spurs, because I liked robert horry, and just when I think I can get back to REALLY hating them again, if they sign magette, that'll be another person i like on that team

Lol magette and Tracy and Yao can be injured together.. Magette and tracy have back problems... and Yao is wel.. Unlucky
Old 07-03-2008, 02:00 PM
Happy Holidays!

Josh Smith is meeting with the Sixers. The Hawks say they would match any offer. We'll see.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:22 PM
mmmmmm....

good to hear from otheres that sasha is a little bitch, god hate that guy.

I hope the Corey Maggette deal comes through with spurs.

Is M. Finely retiring or signing back with spurs?
Old 07-03-2008, 03:19 PM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Doom878
I think we have different definitions of tanking. If you mean holding out personnel so they don't play the last 2 weeks of the season to get 2 more meaningless wins and get 17 instead of 15. If it means not risking D-Wade to further injury after having long term injuries each of the last few years. If it means having your roster 100% rather than 90% in November. Then yeah we're tankers. If you're implying Riley purposely sat guys to try maintain lottery balls than that's your own conspiracy and I can't change an 18 year old's mind because they know everything. Just messing with you. Seriously, it's pretty obvious that worst record in the league doesn't guarantee top pick. Just ask the World Champ Celtics.
How do all the aforementioned facts not add up to Riley trying to maintain lottery balls? There's no conspiracy at all. Riley was out scouting college players before the regular season was even over. That in itself is a blatant tank of a season.

While I do agree that the worst record in the league doesn't guarantee you a lottery pick, it's quite obvious Danny Ainge is head and shoulders a better GM than Randy Pfund will ever be.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:03 PM
I can't find my garage

i think finely is resigning
Old 07-03-2008, 11:33 PM
Happy Holidays!

Gilbert agreed to terms with the Wizards tonight. His contract is worth a wopping $111 million saids ESPN. Hope Gilbert's knees hold up.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:28 PM
Drifting

wow arenas was offered 127 million and took 111. Apparently he wanted to leave cap space open to sign another good player. And negotiated without an agent. My respect for arenas was already pretty high, but I think I gained a lot more for him. Although $111 million is still a crap load of money

Bdiddy says he's 'confident' he'll be playing w/ Brand next season.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/basket...tory?track=rss

Arenas dropped $16 mil, let's see if Brand is willing to drop $20mil. Plus going from 90 to 70 is a lot harder than going from 127 to 111. But it also means not having to move from LA.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:30 PM
I can't find my garage

duhon is a knick
Old 07-04-2008, 06:31 PM
I can't find my garage

Heat injuries: Cook’s shoulder, Beasley’s sternum

From Yahoo:

MIAMI (AP)—Michael Beasley slightly cracked his sternum in a collision with a teammate earlier this week, yet still could be with the Miami Heat when the team opens summer league play Monday.

Daequan Cook won’t be so lucky.

The Heat announced Friday that Cook has separated his left, non-shooting, shoulder, meaning he won’t be available for the five-games-in-five-days summer league schedule starting Monday in Orlando. Cook—who suffered the injury Thursday night—will be sidelined 2-4 weeks, a significant blow because the Heat hoped the second-year guard could use a strong summer showing as a springboard into the 2008-09 season.

Beasley, however, may get the chance to make his much anticipated pro debut.

He was elbowed by a teammate in a defensive drill on Wednesday, about 45 minutes into Miami’s first practice of the summer session. The No. 2 pick in last week’s NBA draft was originally diagnosed with a chest bruise, and tests further revealed the small sternum fracture—something that typically doesn’t show up on an X-ray and simply heals over time.

The Heat said Beasley continued participating in non-contact drills with the team Friday and may be cleared for some contact Saturday, when the team is scheduled to practice twice. His status for the start of summer league play— against the Chicago Bulls and No. 1 overall pick Derrick Rose—remains day-to-day.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:41 AM

wow arenas was offered 127 million and took 111. Apparently he wanted to leave cap space open to sign another good player. And negotiated without an agent. My respect for arenas was already pretty high, but I think I gained a lot more for him. Although $111 million is still a crap load of money

Bdiddy says he's 'confident' he'll be playing w/ Brand next season.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/basket...tory?track=rss

Arenas dropped $16 mil, let's see if Brand is willing to drop $20mil. Plus going from 90 to 70 is a lot harder than going from 127 to 111. But it also means not having to move from LA.
I like Agent Zero but I think pple are giving him too much probs for dropping $16 mil. I mean if he really cared for his team he'd take the 6 year $90 Mil still giving him $15 mil leaving a total of $37 Mil on the table from $127. What can't he do with $15 mil that he can do with $18 mil? an extra $37 mil can do wonders for the team. He barely played all last year and the team did better without him so I don't see the justification in paying him so damn much. If he really really cared he'd do what brand did, or what Duncan did. He's just all ego really. I dunno just my opinion.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by UNeeKLiNG
I like Agent Zero but I think pple are giving him too much probs for dropping $16 mil. I mean if he really cared for his team he'd take the 6 year $90 Mil still giving him $15 mil leaving a total of $37 Mil on the table from $127. What can't he do with $15 mil that he can do with $18 mil? an extra $37 mil can do wonders for the team. He barely played all last year and the team did better without him so I don't see the justification in paying him so damn much. If he really really cared he'd do what brand did, or what Duncan did. He's just all ego really. I dunno just my opinion.

Exactly lol.. OMG he took 16 mil less.. Ya it is still 111 million.. 18.5 million a year.. He isn't even that good for that much no offense.. He could have tooken 90-100 mil and that would really help lol.. Its like saying well ima rape you... but I wont fuck you in your ass so thank me later.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:40 AM
Happy Holidays!

Originally Posted by kosstick
Exactly lol.. OMG he took 16 mil less.. Ya it is still 111 million.. 18.5 million a year.. He isn't even that good for that much no offense.. He could have tooken 90-100 mil and that would really help lol.. Its like saying well ima rape you... but I wont fuck you in your ass so thank me later.
HAHA interesting way to look at it but I agree. He didn't even need to come out and tell the public about his kindess on saving the Wizards that few bucks. That's just lame.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:02 AM
mmmmmm....

Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer
HAHA interesting way to look at it but I agree. He didn't even need to come out and tell the public about his kindess on saving the Wizards that few bucks. That's just lame.
I like to call him "attention whore".
Old 07-05-2008, 02:10 PM
Banned

I like to call him "attention whore".

He is.. He is a pompus dumbass.. He is funny.. but he thinks too highly of himself... lol i remember when he said he was gonna score 60 points against Portland (i think) and he scored 15..

Quick Reply: NBA Offseason Thread (Trades, Free Agents, Rumors)