Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

NBA: 2018 Season News and Discussion Thread

Old 06-14-2019 | 01:05 PM
Team Owner

I was actually hoping GS would have won, not because i like them but i wanted Raptor to lose, so Kawhi could come to LA..

Now he has won there, it just made it more difficult....
Old 06-14-2019 | 01:10 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by teh CL
So many ppl refuse to give Toronto ANY credit but it's all irrelevant, we'll take the W..
No, i will give Tor some credit, at least some.

But did GS give the Champ to TOR or TOR won it... that is where the difference is. But They got the Trophy regardless.
Old 06-14-2019 | 01:16 PM
Safety Car

I wouldn't say they gave it to them. GS was down 3-1 with a very good lineup minus KD. Toronto got hot at the right time!
Old 06-14-2019 | 01:27 PM
One on the right for me

When there are injuries to key players it is hard to not point to the what if...I don't think GS makes it to the finals last year with CP being out in the Houston game 7.
Old 06-14-2019 | 01:29 PM
Team Owner

yah until Klay GGed in Q3, who had the hottest hand at the moment.

I dont wanna play the What if game, it is what it is. Injury is all part of the game. But i would not go as far as say Tor won it all by themselves without the help of GS. if anything i personally think GS helped TOR more than TOR won it on their own.
To be honest, if KD and Klay didnt all go down, i personally dont think TOR even had a chance... But it is what it is.

What i really care about is if Kawhi is leaving TOR....
Old 06-14-2019 | 01:48 PM
One on the right for me

I agree if KD and Klay were in it I don't think Toronto had a chance. Not remotely as lopsided as last years finals but GS probably had the better team. Oh well it is what it is. Next season will be interesting.
Old 06-14-2019 | 05:22 PM

Ahh, the what ifs.. GS needs 5 healthy all stars to beat the lonely Raptors..

No one really knows what Kahwi is thinking but I'd be surprised if he left to be honest. With essentially the same squad coming back, it's hard to deny that they could make a run again next year considering the east is pretty wide open aside from Milwaukee. It'll be an interesting off season for sure.
Old 06-14-2019 | 05:57 PM
One on the right for me

I'm not going that far with the what if....Toronto beat the team that showed up.
Old 06-14-2019 | 08:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Doom878
Will be interesting to see what Warriors do. I don't think Klay is a free agent so they'll probably just wait for him to come back. Curry, Green is a nice nucleus. Use the cap space that KD leaves for some depth. They'll probably be good but not great, maybe Houston finally beats them.
They can't because they are currently over the cap which will not allow them new players.
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/golden-state-warriors/cap/

They gave up their depth for KD.
Old 06-14-2019 | 09:00 PM
Senior Moderator

So, Warriors window has closed? Next super team, I guess...albeit, the Raptors have bucked that concept. Leonard is indeed a megastar but the rest of the cast is just very very good.
Old 06-14-2019 | 09:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Yumcha
So, Warriors window has closed? Next super team, I guess...albeit, the Raptors have bucked that concept. Leonard is indeed a megastar but the rest of the cast is just very very good.
Some of the media & GS think they're just a year off from returning, but they don't seem to be taking into account that they'll once again, lack depth. Having 3 max contracts if KD & Klay opt to stay with Steph's will be killer. Dray & Iggy alone are $35.5m combined.

KD's also going to be around 32 when he returns coming off an achilles injury. That's not a great combo.

Last edited by Rick_TL-S; 06-14-2019 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-14-2019 | 11:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Who was hurt?

4 years ago Curry, Thompson, and Green were “unstoppable”. Pretty sure they played the first four games.

Wasn’t adding Cousins “unfair”? Was he hurt?

Warriors got beat. Good defense lowered their scoring.

Prove me wrong.
Old 06-14-2019 | 11:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by oo7spy
Who was hurt?

4 years ago Curry, Thompson, and Green were “unstoppable”. Pretty sure they played the first four games.

Wasn’t adding Cousins “unfair”? Was he hurt?

Warriors got beat. Good defense lowered their scoring.

Prove me wrong.
On paper, even with Kraft Dinner out and DeSisters injured, the Warriors are better because Klay, Curry, and Green are special players. Toronto has just the Robot.

Then, in this series, the Warriors HAD DeSiblings around to add to Klay, Curry, and Green...so, it was FOUR all-stars. Who cares about depth when you have that scoring prowess? They got beat and Toronto's defense was impressive. Give credit to the Raptors, they didn't back down.

BUT. If KD was healthy, I suspect this series would've been a sweep for the Western Conference All-Stars. FIVE starting all-stars? Yeah, don't matter what Toronto does. It was a video game.
Old 06-15-2019 | 07:33 AM

Sweep is a bit far fetched considering the Raps beat a healthy GS squad (with KD) twice in teh regular season & were missing Kawhi for one of those games. Of course the regular season/playoffs are 2 different animals but the stats speak for themselves.

A big part of they're success is obviously that Kawhi is a machine & there's no denying that.
Old 06-15-2019 | 09:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by teh CL
So many ppl refuse to give Toronto ANY credit but it's all irrelevant, we'll take the W..
Agreed. I don't get why, they proved themselves in the regular season and moreso in the playoffs. They played very good team basketball and their defense was very consistent over the postseason. I too had the Bucks over them, but Nurse proved to be the superior coach and Toronto to be the better team. Their playoff run reminded alot of my Maverick's 2011 team, underdogs each series (well except against ORL) and now they're champions.

I don't think people really appreciate Kawhi and how much he added to his overall game. Compare where he's at now versus his rookie and even sophomore season, it's great to see how much he's grown and can shoulder a franchise.
Old 06-18-2019 | 01:58 PM
Safety Car

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ade-police-say

Just sad, you can't go celebrate a Championship without this happening...
Old 06-18-2019 | 04:30 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

I was along the parade route yesterday. The amount of people was stupendous. Not sure if there were any barricades beforehand, but by the time I arrived around 11:30 there was no defined path - the avenue was completely packed. Police officers had to carve a path through the crowd. Doubt that helped speed the parade any.
It was a mostly festive event. There are always going to be a few assholes with elbows in a crowd that size. Made some friends which helped with waiting 3 hours in the sun. Shoulda worn a hat. It was pretty special seeing our boys up close with the Larry O'Brien. Worth it.

Caught the speeches indoors at a computer. Some of the overhead views showed a few dozen people running near the back of the square. I just thought they had broken down a fence or something. Fortunately none of the injuries are life-threatening. Hope the victims recover quickly.
Old 06-18-2019 | 04:38 PM
I am #76,361,211,935

Originally Posted by BreezyTL
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ade-police-say

Just sad, you can't go celebrate a Championship without this happening...
Abdulrahman Abdullahi, 23, of Toronto, is charged with:

1. Attempt Murder
2. Discharge with Intent
3. Possess Prohibited Device Knowing No Authority
4. Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm
5. Careless Storage of a Firearm
6. Careless Storage of Ammunition
7. Possession of a Restricted Firearm with Ammunition
8. Possession of a Firearm Knowing Its Possession is Unauthorized

Kamal Hassan, 26, of Toronto, is charged with:

1. Attempted Murder
2. Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm
3. Possession of a Firearm Knowing its Possession is Unauthorized
4. Fail to Comply with Recognizance

Ilyas Riyaleh, 23, of Toronto, is charged with:

1. Carry Firearm in a Careless Manner
2. Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm
3. Possession of Firearm Knowing its Possession is Unauthorized
4. Possess Prohibited or Restricted Firearm with Ammunition
5. Carry Concealed Weapon

Jovane Watson, 20, of Toronto, is charged with:

1. Possession for the Purpose of Trafficking Cocaine
2. Possession of Proceeds of Crime

Zachary Cust, 21, of Toronto, is charged with:

1. Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm
2. Careless Storage of a Firearm
3. Possession of a Firearm Knowing its Possession is Unauthorized
4. Carry Concealed Weapon
5. Possession of a Restricted Firearm with Ammunition
6. Proceeds of Crime Not Exceeding $5,000
7. Possession for the Purpose of Trafficking Cocaine

Nathaniel Campbell, 33, of Toronto, is charged with:

1. two counts of Carry Concealed Weapon
2. two counts of Unauthorized Possession of Firearm
3. two counts of Possession of a Firearm Knowing Its Unauthorized
4. two counts of Careless Storage of a Firearm
5. two counts of Possession of a Restricted Firearm with Ammunition
6. two counts of Possess Prohibited Device Knowing No Authority
7. three counts of Possession of a Firearm While Prohibited
8. three counts of Fail to Comply with Release
Just some sports fans who spoiled the celebration for others

Fuckin scrotes will all probably get probation too, because the Canadian court system is
a joke. Back in March 13 2019, a Toronto jury had acquitted Kamal Hassan of the 2015 murders
of 2 men in a condo unit. Kamal was found not guilty of double murder. I'm sure Kamal is
a lovely young man.
Old 06-18-2019 | 06:30 PM
MSZ
Lola

Originally Posted by Aman
I was along the parade route yesterday. The amount of people was stupendous. Not sure if there were any barricades beforehand, but by the time I arrived around 11:30 there was no defined path - the avenue was completely packed. Police officers had to carve a path through the crowd. Doubt that helped speed the parade any.
It was a mostly festive event. There are always going to be a few assholes with elbows in a crowd that size. Made some friends which helped with waiting 3 hours in the sun. Shoulda worn a hat. It was pretty special seeing our boys up close with the Larry O'Brien. Worth it.

Caught the speeches indoors at a computer. Some of the overhead views showed a few dozen people running near the back of the square. I just thought they had broken down a fence or something. Fortunately none of the injuries are life-threatening. Hope the victims recover quickly.
I waited three hours and it was worth it. God knows if we will ever see another parade in Toronto again.

At King and University: