Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

Major League Baseball Thread 2006 Season

Old 10-29-2006, 01:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad you censored that a little^^^

Bill Paxston at his finest
Old 10-29-2006, 01:53 AM
Safety Car

I giggled when I saw a cardinals fan with a sign that said "Hit it to the pitcher"
Old 10-29-2006, 01:30 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by 98CLChick
Did you go downtown during the WS at all? I was down there for game 1, and it was great! People were everywhere and all the bars were packed...it felt like Detroit was a real city.

Yep, it felt like Toronto!

Seriously folks, for those of you who love to bash Motown - it truly is on the upswing. So far down, we can only go up from here.

Our company has a suite at Comerica Park so I did get to partake in some festivities - would have been a lot more fun coming home for a game six though...ah, theres always next year
Old 10-29-2006, 06:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Ok, time to crank up the hotstove...

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...xtras/thebuzz/

Bonds, Garciaparra file for free agency
From the AP: San Francisco's Barry Bonds, Oakland's Frank Thomas and the Los Angeles Dodgers' Nomar Garciaparra headed 59 players who filed for free agency Saturday on the first possible day. Five players filed from the New York Mets: outfielders Cliff Floyd and Ricky Ledee, pitchers Orlando Hernandez and Steve Trachsel and shortstop Chris Woodward. Five players also filed from Philadelphia -- catcher Mike Lieberthal and pitchers Arthur Rhodes, Rick White, Randy Wolf and Aaron Fultz -- along with five from San Diego. Three players filed from the New York Yankees: infielder Miguel Cairo, reliever Octavio Dotel and outfielder Craig Wilson. Approximately 200 players are eligible to file for free agency by the Nov. 11 deadline. Under new rules this offseason, free agents do not face any deadlines to re-sign with their former teams.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,949 Likes on 14,062 Posts
^ Here's hoping no one signs Bonds and that cheater can just go away. Far, far away from baseball.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,315 Likes on 968 Posts
I wish they would've had that rule about resigning players with no deadline when we were negotiating with Pudge. I never understand that rule as it hurts keeping hometown heroes (PUDGE) from staying in the same team.

Speaking of hot stove, did anyone notice that the CBA got renewed without hassle. Or was that mentioned 10 or so pages back?
Old 10-29-2006, 11:15 PM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumchah
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...!

You know this was all your fault, right? You just had to cheer for them and bring your Chicago bad luck with ya. Thanks a million

^ Here's hoping no one signs Bonds and that cheater can just go away. Far, far away from baseball.
Although I agree, somebody will sign him just for the publicity that will come from the chase for Hank Aaron. We all know he brings nothing to a team, and my guess is San Fran will sign him back since they have nothing to lose....plus SF fans are the only people that seem to like him
Old 10-29-2006, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Doom878
I wish they would've had that rule about resigning players with no deadline when we were negotiating with Pudge. I never understand that rule as it hurts keeping hometown heroes (PUDGE) from staying in the same team.

Originally Posted by Doom
Speaking of hot stove, did anyone notice that the CBA got renewed without hassle. Or was that mentioned 10 or so pages back?
No, it wasn't mentioned. But I can't believe it was renewed this easily.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Scottman111
You know this was all your fault, right? You just had to cheer for them and bring your Chicago bad luck with ya. Thanks a million
and

MY FAULT...!? Oh, and what? Cheer for the Sharts...?!? NEVAR!

Besides...I cheered for the ChiSox last year and they won it all, didn't they?

Bad luck, my @$$.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:44 AM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Simply amazing. Downtown was insane on Friday night, about the same as Mardi Gras. I'm glad a riot didn't break out.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:15 AM
Matt

Originally Posted by phipark
Simply amazing. Downtown was insane on Friday night, about the same as Mardi Gras. I'm glad a riot didn't break out.
Friday night was CRAZY! Yesterday was even more packed with the parade and ceremony in the stadium. I printed off 4 free tickets online, and as we were walking in some guy offered $2,000 for the 4 of em. Closest thing to marti gras in October.

P.S. WORLD CHAMPS BIATCH!
Old 10-30-2006, 09:27 AM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
Hot Stove time....

So where are they all going....

CURRENT LIST OF FREE AGENTS
AMERICAN LEAGUE
BALTIMORE (3) -- Chris Gomez, SS; Russ Ortiz, RHP; Chris Widger, C.

BOSTON (3) -- Gabe Kapler, OF; Doug Mirabelli, C; Trot Nixon, OF.

CHICAGO (2) -- Sandy Alomar Jr., C; David Riske, RHP.

KANSAS CITY (1) -- Doug Mientkiewicz, 1B.

LOS ANGELES (3) -- Darin Erstad, C; Adam Kennedy, 2B; J.C. Romero, LHP.

MINNESOTA (3) -- Phil Nevin, 1B; Shannon Stewart, OF; Rondell White, OF.

NEW YORK (3) -- Miguel Cairo, 2B; Octavio Dotel, RHP; Craig Wilson, OF.

OAKLAND (2) -- Jay Payton, OF; Frank Thomas, 1B.

SEATTLE (1) -- Gil Meche, RHP.

TEXAS (5) -- Rod Barajas, C; Mark DeRosa, SS; Adam Eaton, RHP; Gary Matthews Jr., OF; Eric Young, 2B.

TORONTO (3) -- Frank Catalanotto, OF; Ted Lilly, LHP; Justin Speier, RHP.

NATIONAL LEAGUE
ARIZONA (1) -- Luis Gonzalez, OF.

ATLANTA (4) -- Danys Baez, RHP; Todd Pratt, C; John Thomson, RHP; Daryle Ward, 1B.

CHICAGO (3) -- Henry Blanco, C; Juan Pierre, OF; Kerry Wood, RHP.

CINCINNATI (4) -- Royce Clayton, SS; Todd Hollandsworth, OF; Jason Johnson, RHP; David Weathers, RHP.

COLORADO (2) -- c-Ray King, LHP; Tom Martin, LHP.

FLORIDA (4) -- Joe Borowski, RHP; Wes Helms, 3B; Matt Herges, RHP; Brian Moehler, RHP.

HOUSTON (1) -- Aubrey Huff, 3B.

LOS ANGELES (3) -- Nomar Garciaparra, 1B; Julio Lugo, SS; Ramon E. Martinez, 2B.

MILWAUKEE (3) -- Jeff Cirillo, 3B; Tony Graffanino, 2B; Tomo Ohka, RHP.

NEW YORK (7) -- Cliff Floyd, OF; Orlando Hernandez, RHP; Ricky Ledee, OF; Steve Trachsel, RHP; Michael Tucker, RF; Jose Valentin, 2B; Chris Woodward, SS.

PHILADELPHIA (5) -- Aaron Fultz, LHP; Mike Lieberthal, C; Arthur Rhodes, LHP; Rick White, RHP; Randy WoLF, LHP.

PITTSBURGH (1) -- Joe Randa, 3B.

ST. LOUIS (1) -- Gary Bennett, C;

SAN DIEGO (6) -- Geoff Blum, 3B; Alan Embree, LHP; Shawn Estes, LHP; Dave Roberts, OF; Rudy Seanez, RHP; Todd Walker, 2B.

SAN FRANCISCO (7) -- Moises Alou, RF; Barry Bonds, LF; Todd Greene, C; Shea Hillenbrand, 1B; Steve Kline, LHP; Jason Schmidt, RHP; Mike Stanton, LHP.

WASHINGTON (2) -- Tony Armas Jr., RHP; ALFonso Soriano, 2B.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Although I agree, somebody will sign him just for the publicity that will come from the chase for Hank Aaron. We all know he brings nothing to a team, and my guess is San Fran will sign him back since they have nothing to lose....plus SF fans are the only people that seem to like him
Wait a minute,Although Bonds cheated (and he did cheat)many players cheated also,Bonds just is the biggest fish............I grew up watching Bonds... it really was his signing in 93 that even opened my eyes up to baseball he instanly was my favorite player and with 4 MVP's in these past 14 years he was all we needed..And all we ever had

I have probably read more info,mags,newpaper reports than most standard National Baseball fan on Bonds...........and in my own honest opionion I believe Bond's cheated.No one came back from injury faster(the few times he was even injured from 32-37) and no one hit the ball farther (ask Jon Garland) than Bond's in his prime.......The Barry from 87-00(non-steroid years) in my mind also is still a hall of famer........his 40/40 year came in that span and he became the first person ever to steal 400 bases and hit 400 homers in that span(99) so in essence he could have called it a carreer right there.

But ..........he didn't he felt the urge to still be great to still be paid like the great player he was...you see I believe Barry always equated money with respect.And it was this great lust that lead him to cheat....like steroid Expert Jose Canseco said over 50% of MLB was already using steroids.....(Caminiti MVP 96)..So Bonds was just the Best Cheater of the bunch,and like Canseco said steroids make a bad player good,a good player great, and a great player legendary.
At the age of 42 Bonds has a bad elbow,knee,and lower back........anyone with baseball knowledge would agree he should have been a DH at the age of 37..Yet he still played 120 plus games this past year, After missing all but 14 games in 2005 following three operations on his troublesome right knee, Bonds batted .270 with 26 homers and 77 RBIs in 367 at-bats this season.Prorate that out with maybe 550 at-bats and you have another damn fine season.
Plus check out that OPS the sexy new baseball stat,Bonds had a on base over .400 for like the 6th straight year,so to say he will bring nothing to any team is very wrong.........pitchers still fear him and managers still lose sleep thinking about him and he will be 43 at the start of next year.Any team looking for a DH would be stupid not to kick the tires on Bonds,he would fix any teams trouble vs. right handed pitching.....that lefty bat still packs lightning. Nuff said

My prediction is if the A's don't resign Thomas they will make a run at Bonds.Billy Beane loves to make splashy moves.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:01 PM
Race Director

Wow, I don't see any really good starting pitchers there at all in the free agent market

I know OF means outfield, but do you know are there any good center fielders there besides Juan Pierre?

That's what the White Sox need. Well, as for the Cubs please don't resign Wood.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Wow, I don't see any really good starting pitchers there at all in the free agent market

I know OF means outfield, but do you know are there any good center fielders there besides Juan Pierre?

That's what the White Sox need. Well, as for the Cubs please don't resign Wood.
Gary Matthews Jr.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Phesto
Wait a minute,Although Bonds cheated (and he did cheat)many players cheated also,Bonds just is the biggest fish............I grew up watching Bonds... it really was his signing in 93 that even opened my eyes up to baseball he instanly was my favorite player and with 4 MVP's in these past 14 years he was all we needed..And all we ever had

I have probably read more info,mags,newpaper reports than most standard National Baseball fan on Bonds...........and in my own honest opionion I believe Bond's cheated.No one came back from injury faster(the few times he was even injured from 32-37) and no one hit the ball farther (ask Jon Garland) than Bond's in his prime.......The Barry from 87-00(non-steroid years) in my mind also is still a hall of famer........his 40/40 year came in that span and he became the first person ever to steal 400 bases and hit 400 homers in that span(99) so in essence he could have called it a carreer right there.

I was also a fan when I was younger, but I lost respect for Bonds after he cheated with steroids. I do respect the player he was pre-steroids though...there's no denying he was a special player.

But ..........he didn't he felt the urge to still be great to still be paid like the great player he was...you see I believe Barry always equated money with respect.And it was this great lust that lead him to cheat....like steroid Expert Jose Canseco said over 50% of MLB was already using steroids.....(Caminiti MVP 96)..So Bonds was just the Best Cheater of the bunch,and like Canseco said steroids make a bad player good,a good player great, and a great player legendary.
At the age of 42 Bonds has a bad elbow,knee,and lower back........anyone with baseball knowledge would agree he should have been a DH at the age of 37..Yet he still played 120 plus games this past year, After missing all but 14 games in 2005 following three operations on his troublesome right knee, Bonds batted .270 with 26 homers and 77 RBIs in 367 at-bats this season.Prorate that out with maybe 550 at-bats and you have another damn fine season.
Plus check out that OPS the sexy new baseball stat,Bonds had a on base over .400 for like the 6th straight year,so to say he will bring nothing to any team is very wrong.........pitchers still fear him and managers still lose sleep thinking about him and he will be 43 at the start of next year.Any team looking for a DH would be stupid not to kick the tires on Bonds,he would fix any teams trouble vs. right handed pitching.....that lefty bat still packs lightning. Nuff said

My prediction is if the A's don't resign Thomas they will make a run at Bonds.Billy Beane loves to make splashy moves.

Do you think he could've accomplished this without the aid of steroids? Who knows, but the comment about him bringing nothing to a team was not about his production (sorry I wasn't more clear.....and an argument could be made about his defense, but that's another story), but about his off-field contribution to the team. We all know he's a cancer in the clubhouse and has problems with some of his teammates and coaches.

I agree that he would make a good DH though somewhere, especially because of the intimidation factor as you mentioned.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,315 Likes on 968 Posts
Some mediocure SP's going to get paid AJ Burnett style. Is Jason Schmidt still any good???
Old 10-31-2006, 12:31 AM

and

MY FAULT...!? Oh, and what? Cheer for the Sharts...?!? NEVAR!

Besides...I cheered for the ChiSox last year and they won it all, didn't they?

Bad luck, my @$$.

Like I predicted before they played the first game of the WS, your bad luck would haunt the Tigers and, inevidebly, make them lose.

There's no other way to explain this bad of a performance than being under The Curse Of Yumchah. Sorry you're such a cancer

Old 10-31-2006, 12:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Like I predicted before they played the first game of the WS, your bad luck would haunt the Tigers and, inevidebly, make them lose.

There's no other way to explain this bad of a performance than being under The Curse Of Yumchah. Sorry you're such a cancer

O RLY. Foine...I'll cheer for your Bengals going forward...

May they win LOTS.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:17 AM

O RLY. Foine...I'll cheer for your Bengals going forward...

May they win LOTS.

You wouldn't dare

...But now that I think about it, somehow your curse doesn't affect football teams. So hell yeah, cheer for the Bengals and give us some of the Bears luck.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:23 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Doom878
Some mediocure SP's going to get paid AJ Burnett style. Is Jason Schmidt still any good???
He was mostly above average all year, with a few spots of brilliance
Old 10-31-2006, 12:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
He was mostly above average all year, with a few spots of brilliance
Lost 5 mph off of fastball from start of 05-06............used to throw 96 with regularity..era raised last 2 years with Giants.

Always has a bout of shoulder tendenitis to start every spring training at the age of 34 I don't see why this trend will change.Also has complained of elbow tightness in the past.Was often seen as an aloof teammate,and in the middle of last year while the Giants were still somewhat in the race,complained how he would be happier pitching in Seattle(homestate only West Coast teams have a shot at him really)....I believe he did this to possibly force a trade......

All this being said the bidding with start at 5 years 55 million(A.J. Burnnet money) and could rise to maybe(we have seen crazier things see: Brown,Kevin) 5 years 70 million(Oswalt money)...........Jason has better career numbers than Oswalt.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

IDo you think he could've accomplished this without the aid of steroids? Who knows, but the comment about him bringing nothing to a team was not about his production (sorry I wasn't more clear.....and an argument could be made about his defense, but that's another story), but about his off-field contribution to the team. We all know he's a cancer in the clubhouse and has problems with some of his teammates and coaches.

I agree that he would make a good DH though somewhere, especially because of the intimidation factor as you mentioned.
This year (and last)he is off Steroids..................if anything he still takes HGH.Which helps his 42 year old body recoup to be able to play day games after night games.

True on the cancer part: He has 4 lockers and his own Lazy Boy in the Giants clubhouse....Plus he employs his own team of three trainers seperate from the team trainning staff....Definate baggage and drama with Bonds....But still the best player I have seen in my lifetime.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

production (sorry I wasn't more clear.....and an argument could be made about his defense, but that's another story

His defense has been terrible an arguement could be made he cost us more runs than he drove in:

But how quickly people forget that dude is a Nine Time Gold Glove winner............alot of player considered great defensive outfielders today(or ones who claim they are) don't have 9 Gold Gloves.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:56 PM
Senior Moderator

His defense has been terrible an arguement could be made he cost us more runs than he drove in:

But how quickly people forget that dude is a Nine Time Gold Glove winner............alot of player considered great defensive outfielders today(or ones who claim they are) don't have 9 Gold Gloves.
This was before he started taking flaxseed oil, I believe...
Old 10-31-2006, 04:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

This was before he started taking flaxseed oil, I believe...
Yes......that was the Barry that weighed 195 and ran like a gazelle...........he use to have the same body type his dad had.....at his peak of cheating 02-03 he weighed 235 and the word "lumber" would describe his running ability.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:16 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Barry is first ballot Hall of Fame in my opinion..Throughout the years players have cheated it is just now that baseball has the gov't wasting our time and money that it is becoming a big deal.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:25 PM
Senior Moderator

There is no doubt that Barry even without his flaxseed oil is an immensely once-in-generation talent.

That being said, he does not belong in the Hall...and neither do any of the cheats (i.e. Sosa, McGuire, Sheffield, etc.).
Old 10-31-2006, 08:43 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

There is no doubt that Barry even without his flaxseed oil is an immensely once-in-generation talent.

That being said, he does not belong in the Hall...and neither do any of the cheats (i.e. Sosa, McGuire, Sheffield, etc.).

Yeah but I mean all the old heads that are already in the hall who cheated, like Niekro who was a known cheater or even Mike Schmidt who admitted on Quite Frankly that he took speed in the 70's to maintain his energy during a long season.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:30 AM

This year (and last)he is off Steroids..................if anything he still takes HGH.Which helps his 42 year old body recoup to be able to play day games after night games.

True on the cancer part: He has 4 lockers and his own Lazy Boy in the Giants clubhouse....Plus he employs his own team of three trainers seperate from the team trainning staff....Definate baggage and drama with Bonds....But still the best player I have seen in my lifetime.
Ability wise. But this can be broken down a few different ways.

When I say someone is the "best player", I also include in the equation how they helped their team, how they got along with teammates, how they affected team chemisty, etc. Basically everything besides the physical attributes of a player. And this is where I think Bonds has failed (for obvious reasons).

I know you didn't ask, but this is just my personal opinion. And of course I respect your's, so if you disagree it's cool I'm pretty sure you were just referring to his physical abilities though, so again,

And on this subject...In my original post that you quoted I was referring to his current defensive abilities and how they hurt the team, not his past abilities. How we all miss the 9 Gold Glove Barry of old. :shakehead

Just making sure we're all on the same page here
Old 11-01-2006, 12:42 AM

Who the F is McGuire?? Never heard of the guy in my life...

Originally Posted by CL Platano
Yeah but I mean all the old heads that are already in the hall who cheated, like Niekro who was a known cheater or even Mike Schmidt who admitted on Quite Frankly that he took speed in the 70's to maintain his energy during a long season.

Hmm, good point.

And I hate to throw one of my old favorites, Paul Molitor, into this. We all know he did a little cocaine in the 80's to help with his injuries.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Who the F is McGuire?? Never heard of the guy in my life...

Oopsies.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:54 AM

Oopsies.
:bishslapacrossinternet:

You are forgiven, my son
Old 11-01-2006, 10:27 AM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
NY Daily News reporting that Glavine will not be heading back to Atlanta. Talking about a 2 year extension.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Mets pitcher Mota gets 50-game ban...

Roh-oh!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2645976
Old 11-01-2006, 04:26 PM
101 years of heartache...

Trade on the table between the Yanks and White Sox. Garcia for Sheffield straight up. I think the Sox are taking the worse of it. I understand the money can be spent elsewhere by getting the $13m from Garcia back (assuming the Yankees pull a Yankees and pay off Sheffield's contract).

But they get a cheat, liar, and 38 year old with baggage to claim.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by gocubsgo55
Trade on the table between the Yanks and White Sox. Garcia for Sheffield straight up. I think the Sox are taking the worse of it. I understand the money can be spent elsewhere by getting the $13m from Garcia back (assuming the Yankees pull a Yankees and pay off Sheffield's contract).

But they get a cheat, liar, and 38 year old with baggage to claim.

Are you kidding me...? Not a Sheffield fan at all...Sure, the guy can hit, but he remains one major piece of work. I remember how he was squawking in spring because the Yanks were not picking up his option. And just last week, he was whining because the ballclub is.

Williams has to be out of his mind to trade for this whiner...and how can he coexist on a team with Thome, Paulie, and Buehrle...?
Old 11-01-2006, 04:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

^^ I heard the Cubs and even Phillies are making strong plays for Sheff.

Phillies most likely are dangling Burrell and some pitching.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Are you kidding me...? Not a Sheffield fan at all...Sure, the guy can hit, but he remains one major piece of work. I remember how he was squawking in spring because the Yanks were not picking up his option. And just last week, he was whining because the ballclub is.

Williams has to be out of his mind to trade for this whiner...and how can he coexist on a team with Thome, Paulie, and Buehrle...?
Buehrle option was just picked up at 9.5 mill...............shows how crazy the pictching market will be.
10 million a year seems to be a staring ground on all contracts.(zito,schmidt,mussina)
Old 11-01-2006, 04:37 PM
Senior Moderator

^^ I heard the Cubs and even Phillies are making strong plays for Sheff.

Phillies most likely are dangling Burrell and some pitching.
Awesome. So, the Cubs will be going after two idiot players now. First, I-like-jogging Ramirez and now Sheffield.

Quick Reply: Major League Baseball Thread 2006 Season