Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

Major League Baseball Thread 2006 Season

Old 08-24-2006, 11:17 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TLofNYC
It's looking good right now.....delgado is on fire, we just need wright to get back on track and were good.....too bad sanchez is out...

I think Green was a great pickup for the playoff run
An outfield of Floyd, Beltran and Green is good enough, especially with an infield of wright, reyes, LoDuca and delgado. He will add some power and extra base hits. I like Endy out there, but Randolph needs him coming of the bench. It's a good move.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm thinking subway world series again... that would be cool...
Old 08-24-2006, 12:11 PM
Registered Abuser

Originally Posted by RyeCL
i'm thinking subway world series again... that would be cool...
honestly....I don't want another subway series.....Yanks are a tough team to beat, especially in a short series....I'd rather go against Detroit or Chicago
Old 08-24-2006, 12:29 PM
‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›

If there's any queasiness over the Mets, it's definitely their starting pitching. A lot of big "if's" about their starting 4 (assuming the 4-man rotation in the playoffs) ...

Everyone knows about concerns over Pedro's health/effectiveness and Glavine's health/effectiveness. They both have the "been there, done that" mentality come postseason but it would be a shame if one or both are less than 90% health-wise in October. Also Trachsel may have 13 wins but he is a crappy pitcher. Can't expect more than 6 innings (though he takes 2.5-3 hours) ... he's just fortunate that he has the best run support of any pitcher in the NL (close to 7 runs a game). Put him on a sub-.500 team and his W-L would be flip-flopped. El Duque is off-and-on ... great in wins (ERA under 2.00), very bad in losses (ERA over 9.00). For all that's said about his big-game and playoff experience, there's no guarantee he will live up to his reputation.

So yeah, Met's line-up ... great with a nice mix of veterans and young 'uns. But they definitely have weaknesses that can be exploited in a 5-game divisional playoff. All in all, the playoffs are unpredictable and the element and importance of LUCK in the outcome is vastly underrated.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:32 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by PillsburyChoboy
If there's any queasiness over the Mets, it's definitely their starting pitching. A lot of big "if's" about their starting 4 (assuming the 4-man rotation in the playoffs) ...

Everyone knows about concerns over Pedro's health/effectiveness and Glavine's health/effectiveness. They both have the "been there, done that" mentality come postseason but it would be a shame if one or both are less than 90% health-wise in October. Also Trachsel may have 13 wins but he is a crappy pitcher. Can't expect more than 6 innings (though he takes 2.5-3 hours) ... he's just fortunate that he has the best run support of any pitcher in the NL (close to 7 runs a game). Put him on a sub-.500 team and his W-L would be flip-flopped. El Duque is off-and-on ... great in wins (ERA under 2.00), very bad in losses (ERA over 9.00). For all that's said about his big-game and playoff experience, there's no guarantee he will live up to his reputation.

So yeah, Met's line-up ... great with a nice mix of veterans and young 'uns. But they definitely have weaknesses that can be exploited in a 5-game divisional playoff. All in all, the playoffs are unpredictable and the element and importance of LUCK in the outcome is vastly underrated.
So then who has a perfect team? I can crete a list like this for every team in the majors.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,949 Likes on 14,062 Posts
CWS 10, DET 0

Not too shabby. And MLB's quietest 15-game winnah: Garland. The ChiSox may be a little battered and bruised...but, they are not out. GO CHISOX!
Old 08-24-2006, 03:44 PM
Race Director

How long is Thome out and who was the DH today?
Old 08-24-2006, 03:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
How long is Thome out and who was the DH today?
The current word is 5-8 days...so, he's out for the Minny series.

Paulie took DH today with Gload in 1B.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:49 PM
Once more into the breach

Originally Posted by Yumchah
CWS 10, DET 0

Not too shabby. And MLB's quietest 15-game winnah: Garland. The ChiSox may be a little battered and bruised...but, they are not out. GO CHISOX!

Karma is a mutha fucka
Old 08-24-2006, 03:59 PM
Benchwarmer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CWS 10, DET 0

Emphasis on little. The White Sox are they only AL team not to have a position player on the DL this year. Either Herm Schneider is a miracle trainer, or <gasp> they are lucky.

That being said, I'm glad we don't face Garland this weekend.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:59 PM
Senior Moderator

I love reading the Sun-Times. Mariotti is such an idiot. The minute the Sox lose, he goes apeshit. No wonder nearly all Chicago athletes, coaches, managers hate him...

His solution for everything: trade everything and spend it all at all costs. His column about how the ChiSox are done is lame.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:07 PM
‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
So then who has a perfect team? I can crete a list like this for every team in the majors.
No one has a perfect team. That wasn't my point. It just seemed like too many people are looking at the Mets' record and great line-up and ASSUMING that their big name pitchers will "do their thing" come September/October. I think another issue people are overlooking is that Minaya failed to pull the trigger for a quality starting pitcher at the trade deadline (pitching has been a concern for the Mets since spring training). Sure we can succumb to hindsight and play Monday Morning QB but the front office goofed.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:18 PM
Benchwarmer

I love reading the Sun-Times. Mariotti is such an idiot. The minute the Sox lose, he goes apeshit. No wonder nearly all Chicago athletes, coaches, managers hate him...

His solution for everything: trade everything and spend it all at all costs. His column about how the ChiSox are done is lame.
Just as lame as Harrelson's contention that the "Sox" are the best thing since sliced Venezuelan bread and can do absolutely nothing wrong, are victimized by the umps, etc.

Yeah, Mariotti is trying to sell newspapers (or just his name) while Harrelson is trying to sell the White Sox. I wish those two would come to blows....and neither would win.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by IlliNorge
Just as lame as Harrelson's contention that the "Sox" are the best thing since sliced Venezuelan bread and can do absolutely nothing wrong, are victimized by the umps, etc.

Yeah, Mariotti is trying to sell newspapers (or just his name) while Harrelson is trying to sell the White Sox. I wish those two would come to blows....and neither would win.
LOL...Yeah, Hawk's a bit over the top...but, you gotta love his enthusiasm for his own team.

Didn't Hawk challenge Jay to a fight recently?
Old 08-24-2006, 04:25 PM
My Garage

No one has a perfect team. That wasn't my point. It just seemed like too many people are looking at the Mets' record and great line-up and ASSUMING that their big name pitchers will "do their thing" come September/October. I think another issue people are overlooking is that Minaya failed to pull the trigger for a quality starting pitcher at the trade deadline (pitching has been a concern for the Mets since spring training). Sure we can succumb to hindsight and play Monday Morning QB but the front office goofed.
So you're point is that the big name pitchers MIGHT not perform the way they could? OK, the Tigers young staff might not perform the way they could in the playoffs, the Yankees underperforming staff might not compensate for their offense. The Twins weaker lineup might not be able to cover their strong pitching.

Glavine is perfectly healthy, Pedro has a minor injury, Maine, Pujols aside, has been practically unhittable lately, El Duque is 4-1 since the break and has better playoff success then most pitchers in the league, I completely agree with you on Trachsel. Their bullpen is the best in the NL and may even be the best in the majors.

This game is based on assumptions dude. People assume Pujols is going to tear the cover off the ball, people assume Johan is going to strike everyone out. This is how the players play, they live up to the assumptions. It's so easy to say, "well people assume Mussina is going to pitch well in the playoff, but if he doesn't the Yankees aren't going anywhere." But the thing is Mussina probably will pitch well.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:31 PM
Benchwarmer

LOL...Yeah, Hawk's a bit over the top...but, you gotta love his enthusiasm for his own team.
No. I. Don't.

Didn't Hawk challenge Jay to a fight recently?
In the Metrodome last year, they brushed shoulders. Jay said "I ought to bust you one right now." and Harrelson said "You do what you gotta do." Both are supposed to be impartially reporting on events, and neither realizes that neither of them does. They're both assholes.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:02 PM
Senior Moderator

No. I. Don't.

In the Metrodome last year, they brushed shoulders. Jay said "I ought to bust you one right now." and Harrelson said "You do what you gotta do." Both are supposed to be impartially reporting on events, and neither realizes that neither of them does. They're both assholes.
Well, the thing is with Hawk, he's enthusiastic. Sure, it's a bit over the top...but, he truly loves the team. And you can't question that loyalty and devotion.

Mariotti? He's an idiot. His MO is to blast any team/management at the first sign of a slump. This-manager-sucks. This-trade-should've-happened. This-player-should've-been-signed. Blah blah blah. Everything is in hindsight. In his world, any Chicago team should sign a player of A-Rod amounts to a contract. THAT'LL be the solution to winning it all.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:52 PM
Crabcakes and Football!!!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by sasha
My bf is a big Orioles fan so I have been attending the games with him
awesome hun! hope you have a good time
Old 08-24-2006, 07:32 PM
‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›

Nope. I'm saying assumptions should be based on current level of performance rather than past. Going into September, the Mets' starting rotation is very shaky. Glavine had an angiogram but apparently "seems" healthy. Pedro has had a nice share of stints on the DL (strained calf, sore hip; also tweaked back and toe issues earlier in the year) and tho he has looked great most of the season, he has been lit up on several occassions. Maine is obviously an unproven commodity. El Duque might have better playoff success than 90% of the league but that doesn't mean too much considering he hasn't won a playoff game since the 2001 ALDS. If you think about it, the starting rotation was a big question mark GOING into the season. But rather than be thankful of the luck and performance of their core staff (and a bunch of off-the-radars who filled in), and look to improve it, the front office remained complacent.

Hey, I'm hoping for the best and would like to see the Mets do well in the postseason but I'm saying they could've done more at the trade deadline. Rather than be proactive and bolster their shaky staff, the front office sat on their hands. Look, big-spending teams can't guarantee success but they do everything in their power to put themselves in a position to attain that success. The Mets didn't do it.

So you're point is that the big name pitchers MIGHT not perform the way they could? OK, the Tigers young staff might not perform the way they could in the playoffs, the Yankees underperforming staff might not compensate for their offense. The Twins weaker lineup might not be able to cover their strong pitching.

Glavine is perfectly healthy, Pedro has a minor injury, Maine, Pujols aside, has been practically unhittable lately, El Duque is 4-1 since the break and has better playoff success then most pitchers in the league, I completely agree with you on Trachsel. Their bullpen is the best in the NL and may even be the best in the majors.

This game is based on assumptions dude. People assume Pujols is going to tear the cover off the ball, people assume Johan is going to strike everyone out. This is how the players play, they live up to the assumptions. It's so easy to say, "well people assume Mussina is going to pitch well in the playoff, but if he doesn't the Yankees aren't going anywhere." But the thing is Mussina probably will pitch well.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,315 Likes on 968 Posts
I agree that I'm not crazy about the Mets' starters. After Pedro I'd be worried and that's assuming he's healthy.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

there isnt much good pitching out there to go after
Old 08-25-2006, 08:06 AM
My Garage

Originally Posted by Doom878
I agree that I'm not crazy about the Mets' starters. After Pedro I'd be worried and that's assuming he's healthy.
Pedro, Glavine, El Duque. What team has a better 1-2-3 punch than that in the AL with a lineup and bullpen that compares to the Mets?

I'm not saying it's a great 1-2-3, but it compares with any other team, except the Twins, but they can't score runs like the Mets.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

I think El Duque is the #1 guy....he has some nasty stuff
Old 08-25-2006, 08:19 AM
My Garage

I think El Duque is the #1 guy....he has some nasty stuff
Really? Over Pedro? A healthy Pedro makes most hitters look foolish.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:23 AM
Registered Abuser

People all want to say the same thing about the Mets....but you name me a team in the NL that is making the playoffs that can through 3 or 4 strong starters at you in the playoffs.....no one can...including the Mets, so that theory doesn't hold water. that goes for the AL too.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:26 AM
Registered Abuser

Pedro, Glavine, El Duque. What team has a better 1-2-3 punch than that in the AL with a lineup and bullpen that compares to the Mets?

I'm not saying it's a great 1-2-3, but it compares with any other team, except the Twins, but they can't score runs like the Mets.

The Mets make up for what ever starting pitching problems they may have with one of the strongest bullpens in the league. People all want to hate on the Mets pitching staff, but you can;t name many if any teams that have a better pitching staff from starters, to bullpens to closer.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

there isnt much good pitching out there to go after
That was true.
Who was suposedly out there?

Zito? for a rental
Dontrelle? price was too high
Livan Hernandez, yea, but would he of been an improvement?
Old 08-25-2006, 08:31 AM
Registered Abuser

Originally Posted by Chr8808
That was true.
Who was suposedly out there?

Zito? for a rental
Dontrelle? price was too high
Livan Hernandez, yea, but would he of been an improvement?
Honestly....i think the Mets should have paid the price to get Dontrelle. He's an outstanding pitcher who can pitch late into games.....What were they asking for Dontrelle?
Old 08-25-2006, 08:37 AM
My Garage

People all want to say the same thing about the Mets....but you name me a team in the NL that is making the playoffs that can through 3 or 4 strong starters at you in the playoffs.....no one can...including the Mets, so that theory doesn't hold water. that goes for the AL too.
Thats what's killing me about PillsburyChoboy's arguments. He's pointed out the flaws of the Mets to the detriment of the team, but no onther team is leaps and bounds better, in fact most are worse. Hence the Mets dominance in the NL. EVERY team has weaknesses that can be exploited.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:39 AM
My Garage

Honestly....i think the Mets should have paid the price to get Dontrelle. He's an outstanding pitcher who can pitch late into games.....What were they asking for Dontrelle?
Florida wasn't giving up Dontrelle, it didn't make sense for them to trade him. Florida has a decent team and they are paying him very little. Dontrelle might lead them to the promised land next year.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:52 AM
Registered Abuser

Florida wasn't giving up Dontrelle, it didn't make sense for them to trade him. Florida has a decent team and they are paying him very little. Dontrelle might lead them to the promised land next year.
I think FL has a great young team....they will be in the playoff hunt again in a year or two...
Old 08-25-2006, 09:04 AM
My Garage

I think FL has a great young team....they will be in the playoff hunt again in a year or two...
It's pretty amazing, half the team is in the hunt for the rookie of the year award
Old 08-25-2006, 09:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Aren't they moving in 2 years? I thought know one wanted to build them a ballpark.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:16 AM
Registered Abuser

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
Aren't they moving in 2 years? I thought know one wanted to build them a ballpark.
True....but if they can keep that team together they will be in the playoffs again regardless of what ball park they play in. But historically it has been hard for the Marlins to keep any team together for more than 2 years....
Old 08-25-2006, 09:29 AM
‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›

Thats what's killing me about PillsburyChoboy's arguments. He's pointed out the flaws of the Mets to the detriment of the team, but no onther team is leaps and bounds better, in fact most are worse. Hence the Mets dominance in the NL. EVERY team has weaknesses that can be exploited.
Why the circling of the wagons? What's there to defend? Mets have question marks in their rotation (health and performance-wise). Another quality starter could have definitely fortified the staff for the postseason (when starting pitching generally trumps all). Front office knows this but failed to act before the trade deadline. These issues are pretty clear-cut. What's there to argue?

You're being a typical fan ... too stubborn and blind to understand that my arguments is based on the fact that the Mets COULD have and SHOULD have picked up a quality starter before the trade deadline. Every team is flawed ... no kidding. So that's your argument? Every team is flawed but the Mets are least flawed so all's good? That's pretty short-sighted. And if a contending team has a weakness that can be exploited, shouldn't they try their best to fill that gap, especially a team like the Mets that have the resources and $$$ at their disposal?

Bottom-line is that the front office should do everything in their power to improve their roster. The Mets are in a position this year that they simply cannot take for granted ... they had a double-digit lead in the NL East before the trade deadline and all but assured a spot in the playoffs. But the front office failed to pull the trigger.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:53 AM
My Garage

Why the circling of the wagons? What's there to defend? Mets have question marks in their rotation (health and performance-wise). Another quality starter could have definitely fortified the staff for the postseason (when starting pitching generally trumps all). Front office knows this but failed to act before the trade deadline. These issues are pretty clear-cut. What's there to argue?

You're being a typical fan ... too stubborn and blind to understand that my arguments is based on the fact that the Mets COULD have and SHOULD have picked up a quality starter before the trade deadline. Every team is flawed ... no kidding. So that's your argument? Every team is flawed but the Mets are least flawed so all's good? That's pretty short-sighted. And if a contending team has a weakness that can be exploited, shouldn't they try their best to fill that gap, especially a team like the Mets that have the resources and $$$ at their disposal?

Bottom-line is that the front office should do everything in their power to improve their roster. The Mets are in a position this year that they simply cannot take for granted ... they had a double-digit lead in the NL East before the trade deadline and all but assured a spot in the playoffs. But the front office failed to pull the trigger.
Tell me this starter that would have made such a difference, who could they have picked up without compromising their future that would have been such an improvement to the staff.

And you're wrong, they shouldn't do everything in their power to improve the roster if it compromises the future. Yea, they could have rented Zito for Milledge, but 3 month rental at the expense of a future all star? Is that your idea of good managing? Glad you don't manage the Mets

And my problem is that you're arguments are flawed in the sense you simply state the flaws of a team without relation to the opposition. It would be the same thing as me going on and on about how great things are looking for the Blue Jays this year, they have made some great pickups and built a solid team, without mentioning their status in the league and how they will most likely will not make the playoffs. It was argument without a valid point.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:38 AM
Benchwarmer

The Mets in the past have had enormous payrolls and crappy teams to show for them. This year they also have an enormous payroll, so what is the difference? It has to be better chemistry and the home-grown talent. Wright, Milledge, Maine, Reyes, Heilman are the guys from the minors and Beltran and Delgado are the good clubhouse leaders with the chemistry. Bringing in a screwball like Zito creates resentment every time the guy throws a hanging curve, not to mention puts even more pressure on the Mets not to become the Mariners of a few years ago.

History has shown that mid-season trades almost never help those teams win. Shannon Stewart and Beltran are two exceptions, but that kind of talent wasn't out there this year.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:41 AM
My Garage

The Mets in the past have had enormous payrolls and crappy teams to show for them. This year they also have an enormous payroll, so what is the difference? It has to be better chemistry and the home-grown talent. Wright, Milledge, Maine, Reyes, Heilman are the guys from the minors and Beltran and Delgado are the good clubhouse leaders with the chemistry. Bringing in a screwball like Zito creates resentment every time the guy throws a hanging curve, not to mention puts even more pressure on the Mets not to become the Mariners of a few years ago.

History has shown that mid-season trades almost never help those teams win. Shannon Stewart and Beltran are two exceptions, but that kind of talent wasn't out there this year.
Thank you
Old 08-25-2006, 11:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Tell me this starter that would have made such a difference, who could they have picked up without compromising their future that would have been such an improvement to the staff.

And you're wrong, they shouldn't do everything in their power to improve the roster if it compromises the future. Yea, they could have rented Zito for Milledge, but 3 month rental at the expense of a future all star? Is that your idea of good managing? Glad you don't manage the Mets
I think it would of been Milledge, Heilman, Nady and another top pitching prospect according to rumors circulating at the time.

But at least they did not overpay to force a trade for someone over-rated has been like mabe Jon Lieber. I think they were fine until that cab accident that screwed their bullpen, then the trade of Nady and Floyd going on the DL . . .

AN Abreu + Lidle trade woulda been perfect for them

Last edited by Chr8808; 08-25-2006 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:09 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by Chr8808
I think it would of been Milledge, Heilman, Nady and another top pitching prospect according to rumors circulating at the time.

But at least they did not overpay to force a trade for someone over-rated has been like mabe Jon Lieber. I think they were fine until that cab accident that screwed their bullpen, then the trade of Nady and Floyd going on the DL . . .

An Abreu + Lidle trade woulda been perfect for them
I agree, in hindsight, The Abrue trade would be great. Losing Sanchez was major, I am just happy that Hernandez has been great so far and hope he keeps it up. Along with the hope that Mota can pitch like he used to might make they me in good shape.

And I totally agree about being happy they didn't overpay for a lieber/Livan type guy. I think they are good enough right now to possibly pull off a world series if they get hot at the right time. Plus are in a good position to win in the future.

Quick Reply: Major League Baseball Thread 2006 Season