Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!
View Poll Results: Is your team in cap hell?
Yes
0%
No
0%
Don't care
0%
Go Nordiques!
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Hockey: News and Discussion Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Originally Posted by herbalist

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/w3EED7uyos8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w3EED7uyos8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Haa....that is a sweet goal. Just when you thought you'd seen everything.....
Old 04-09-2009, 02:52 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
That shoot-out goal was nuts!!!
Old 04-09-2009, 03:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,947 Likes on 14,061 Posts
Originally Posted by hdcolumbus
I think the Jackets match up well with both teams. I think they went 3-1 against Vancouver and 2-2 against Calgary. I'm torn between who I'd like to see them draw. Probably the Flames because Vancouver has become pretty scary of late. I believe Calgary just needs to beat Edmonton in order for this to happen.
For some reason, the Hawks match up better against the Flames (Chicago swept the series this year)...the Nucks are okay too but the series was 2-2 and I'd rather Chicago deal with the slower Flames and Kiprusoff who can't stop anything these days...
Old 04-09-2009, 03:32 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
^ You realize the Hawks are going out in the first round don't you?
Old 04-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
^ You realize the Hawks are going out in the first round don't you?
Realistically? Yeah...but, you never know.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Senior Moderator

And please note, not a single one of us thought Chicago would reach 100 points either in the Western Conference...So, proves you just never know.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:31 PM
Team Owner

Yumchah, obviously I'd love to see the Blackhawks go deep in the playoffs. But the first round really depends on who they play. If it's the Canucks, they might have a tough time because Vancouver has had the Hawks number all year. But it is awesome that the Blackhawks hit 100 points this year.

And, by the way, what the hell has happened to Martin Broduer and the New Jersey Devils???? After he hit his milestone, there was a gargantuan let down. The can't even spell victory now.

And congrats to Columbus for securing their first playoff berth.

2009 Kansas City All Acura Meet-May 17th
https://acurazine.com/forums/midwest-312/kansas-city-2009-spring-all-acura-meet-may-17th-12pm-%40-jay-wolfe-acura-714994/

Last edited by Steven Bell; 04-09-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Yumchah, obviously I'd love to see the Blackhawks go deep in the playoffs. But the first round really depends on who they play. If it's the Canucks, they might have a tough time because Vancouver has had the Hawks number all year. But it is awesome that the Blackhawks hit 100 points this year.

And, by the way, what the hell has happened to Martin Broduer and the New Jersey Devils???? After he hit his milestone, there was a gargantuan let down. The can't even spell victory now.

And congrats to Columbus for securing their first playoff berth.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=714994
Well, Vancouver would appear to be a tougher opponent. However, keep in mind the overall series this year was split 2-2.

I won't disregard Calgary because they got 90+ points for a reason. However, they do seem more vulnerable in goal and are a slower team overall than Vancouver...and the Hawks always play better against the slower teams.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Senior Moderator

As for New Jersey...go figure. But, I think they are playing possum...I'll be really surprised if they exit the playoffs early. I believe they are the best team in the East (sorry, Caps and Pens fans)...
Old 04-09-2009, 07:27 PM
Go B's Go

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow what a Bruins-Habs game so far...they never disappoint. About 60 penalty minutes already, brawl after brawl...anybody who can should tune in
Old 04-09-2009, 09:48 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
This Vermont vs Boston game is GREAT!!
Old 04-09-2009, 11:54 PM
Interesting. Interesting.

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumchah
I discovered this "loophole" thanks to wstevens. Sorry, not pointing the finger...but, if it gives me the best chance to win, I'll try it.
hmmm...considering that there were only 1-2 weeks that I add/dropped to fill in active players, the rest of my add/drops were failed attempts at trying to catch hot players, and I barely made any moves the 2nd half of the season, I consider this argument a little petty.

Actually, Yummy's add/drops didn't bother me as much as his raping of Evader for Nabokov.

The rapings in fantasy are what are starting to annoy me and lessen the fun. My fantasy football league this year was a disaster because of it (think Owen Daniels and Ocho Cinco for Tony Gonzales, Steve Smith, and Larry Fitzgerald - yes the rapist was the league champion at the end).
Old 04-10-2009, 12:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by wstevens
hmmm...considering that there were only 1-2 weeks that I add/dropped to fill in active players, the rest of my add/drops were failed attempts at trying to catch hot players, and I barely made any moves the 2nd half of the season, I consider this argument a little petty.

Actually, Yummy's add/drops didn't bother me as much as his raping of Evader for Nabokov.

The rapings in fantasy are what are starting to annoy me and lessen the fun. My fantasy football league this year was a disaster because of it (think Owen Daniels and Ocho Cinco for Tony Gonzales, Steve Smith, and Larry Fitzgerald - yes the rapist was the league champion at the end).
Really...? Well, you tell me about your 13 (or was it 11) - 0 thrashing against me where you literally picked up a new player or two each day in that week we were head-to-head. I'm not mad/bitter at what you did...and if you notice, I didn't even post a complaint...

I'm only pointing it out now because everyone seems to think I've been doing it since the beginning of time. My moves in the beginning of the season were strictly to try to fix up my roster to pick up hot/cold players as well...and heck, most of my experiments were in goal until I got C. Mason, Quick (although, I wish I held onto S. Mason and Rinne in hindsight)...

As for the Nabokov trade. It has turned out well for me, I won't deny that...But, you are off to orbit if you think Nabby was the KEY to my season's entire success. Quick, Mason, and Khabibulin had more to do with my turnaround than this single pick-up. Turco had an "off" year but if you look at his stats, the guy has .900 save percentage, 33 wins, 1754 saves, and 3 shutouts...

Nabokov? Ooo...I have 7 more wins, .910 save percentage, 300 LESS saves and 3 more shutouts; which spread over the entire season, did it impact how many matchups and supposed-thrashing of my opponents? I'll wait for your rebuke, okay? And oh, I gave Evader my 2nd best centerman on my roster at the time in Mikku Koivu too. Say what you want...but, my trade was not as one-sided as the one Jonesi always snickers at you about involving Ovechkin.

And geebus, didn't you read Evader's comments on our trades...? But, sorry...I must obviously be in cahoots with him.

If there is one trade maybe you can wonder about, it was my trade with BstonBruin involving Phaneuf, Bryzgalov for Malkin. In that case, I did end up with a guy who could score in bunches...but, it sure did fawk up my roster for the rest of the year because as you can see, I've been trying to fill my D-line since.

So, really...what are you complaining about...? Sorry if I suddenly took the lead this week...but, I'm not kidding when I think the final score will be in your favor. So, be happy you'll be a few bucks richer and be happier that I'm not playing next year.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Oh look! Nabokov just gave up 4 goals on 17 shots!

Evader, you were raped.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:23 AM

Meh. It's not worth arguing about. (a) I don't think you "ruined" the league - in fact I'd much rather have you play again than some of the deadbeats that didn't pay attention all year and (b) I don't think you did well (and continue to do well this week) because of your add/drops or only because of Nabokov. Your core team is good and you did a good job adding good players that you kept (Mason, Bulin, Quick, etc.)

Do I think the Nabokov trade was an unfair trade? Yep.

Having said all that, your team (esp. goalies and NOT just Nabokov) is playing great this week and I don't think you're "cheating" to make it happen. If you win, you deserve it
Old 04-10-2009, 12:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by wstevens
Meh. It's not worth arguing about. (a) I don't think you "ruined" the league - in fact I'd much rather have you play again than some of the deadbeats that didn't pay attention all year and (b) I don't think you did well (and continue to do well this week) because of your add/drops or only because of Nabokov. Your core team is good and you did a good job adding good players that you kept (Mason, Bulin, Quick, etc.)

Do I think the Nabokov trade was an unfair trade? Yep.

Having said all that, your team (esp. goalies and NOT just Nabokov) is playing great this week and I don't think your "cheating" to do it. If you win, you deserve it
Alright...thank-you.

Now, seriously...can we just finish out the week and may the best player win...?
Old 04-10-2009, 12:26 AM

Alright...thank-you.

Now, seriously...can we just finish out the week and may the best player win...?

it's actually really fun. it's tight as hell.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:31 AM
chips and smokes, lets go

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This was the shootout winner.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0SpSb5oiDfs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0SpSb5oiDfs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 04-10-2009, 11:17 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

And please note, not a single one of us thought Chicago would reach 100 points either in the Western Conference...So, proves you just never know.
What does 100 points even mean in the shootout era? It means that if the Hawks won 5 games via the shootout they'd be a 95 point team right now.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Have camera, will travel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see the Flyers are doing their usual stagger into the playoffs.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
What does 100 points even mean in the shootout era? It means that if the Hawks won 5 games via the shootout they'd be a 95 point team right now.
They have the 3rd most points in the Conference behind only SJ and Detroit. What more do you want...?

This is the same team that has less losses than other supposed conference contenders like Anaheim, Calgary and Vancouver...
Old 04-10-2009, 08:34 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

They have the 3rd most points in the Conference behind only SJ and Detroit. What more do you want...?

This is the same team that has less losses than other supposed conference contenders like Anaheim, Calgary and Vancouver...
I want you to gloat being 3rd in the conference, not hitting 100 points.

Enjoy the playoffs
Old 04-11-2009, 02:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
I want you to gloat being 3rd in the conference, not hitting 100 points.

Enjoy the playoffs
Gloat...?

Naw, I'm just more ecstatic and relieved than anything...I'm praying Chicago's return to some semblance of competitiveness and excellence is finally back for awhile.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:15 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts

Winter Classic at Fenway (or maybe Gillette) 1/1/2010.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...inter_classic/
The Bruins, lobbying for months to bring the NHL's Winter Classic to Boston, have been given the go-ahead by commissioner Gary Bettman's office to host the game Jan. 1, 2010, despite mild, perfunctory protestations from Causeway Street that plans for the popular New Year's Day game have yet to be finalized.

Pending a last-second hiccup, the game will be staged at the near century-old Fenway Park, with its iconic Green Monster serving as the backdrop to the boards, Plexiglas, and 85- by 200-foot sheet of ice. The league gave the Bruins the official go-ahead Wednesday night.

According to a source familiar with negotiations involving the NHL, players, and the Bruins, Boston likely will host either the Washington Capitals or the Philadelphia Flyers. It has long been rumored that the next Jan. 1 game would include a Canadian-based team, with the Montreal Canadiens the probable partner for a game in the Hub of Hockey.

But a number of sources indicated it is highly unlikely the Habs will be part of the show, and the likely partner will be the Capitals, whose playoff-bound roster includes superstar winger Alexander Ovechkin, the game's most exciting player and No. 1 goal scorer the last two seasons.

Provided the game is at Fenway, there is little doubt it will sell out, no matter the opposition. It is expected the Bruins early next week will confirm the game, its venue, and the process for purchasing tickets, which could be tougher to obtain than tickets to recent World Series games at Fenway.

According to a source familiar with the negotiations, if contractual details can't be worked out at Fenway, the game might be at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough. NHL officials in recent months toured both venues extensively, eschewing the opportunity to review Harvard Stadium, and came away suitably impressed by both.

Gillette, which seats 68,756 for the Patriots games, would offer far greater seating capacity than Fenway, with its seating of some 36,000 for Red Sox games. However, Fenway is the hands-down winner for history, intimacy, and its downtown location, a short jaunt up Storrow Drive from the Bruins' home on Causeway Street.

Gillette also could present a quirky fit for a Jan. 1 game because of potential conflicts with the Patriots' regular-season schedule and the playoffs. The NHL needs upward of two weeks to set up its portable outdoor rink, then another week to tear it down - possibly a tight fit for the perennially successful Patriots.

"Contrary to published reports, at this time we have not finalized plans for a Bruins game at Fenway Park on New Year's Day," said executive vice president Charlie Jacobs in a statement issued by the club in the afternoon. "It is no secret that I would love to bring the Winter Classic to the city of Boston - and I have been working with the NHL to consider a number of venues in the area. We believe we are close to accomplishing this. Bruins fans deserve to have an outdoor game, and we hope to deliver one to them in the near future."

The decision not to have a Bruins-Canadiens matchup, according to a source well-versed in the preferences of NBC, the Winter Classic's broadcast partner in the United States the last two years, was made to try to beef up ratings in the United States. Apparently, as much as Boston-Montreal is considered by many hockey fans to be akin to Red Sox-Yankees, NBC believes two US-based cities have a greater chance of attracting eyeballs to American TV screens Jan. 1.

A source with contacts in the Flyers front office last night reported that the Broad Streeters have been told they are not being considered for the game. Meanwhile, a source in the Washington front office reported that the Capitals, owned by Ted Leonsis, formerly of the now-defunct Wang Laboratories, have told the league they are very interested in playing but have not been informed if they have been chosen.

The Canadian-based sports website tsn.ca. also reported that the Jan. 1 game will be in Boston. The Boston Herald reported it, too.

The game will be the fourth staged outside an NHL venue. The Nov. 22, 2003, game in Edmonton attracted 57,167 fans to Commonweatlh Stadium to see the Canadiens beat the Oilers, 4-3. With NBC aboard as a partner, and Ralph Wilson Stadium the venue just south of Buffalo, a record 71,217 turned out to see the Penguins edge the Sabres, 2-1, in a shootout on a snowy Jan. 1, 2008. And last Jan. 1, a sellout of 40,818 crammed into the friendly confines of Wrigley Field in Chicago, where the Red Wings pinned a 6-4 loss on the Blackhawks.

If the game lands at Fenway, no telling where the rink will be placed. In Chicago, it ran lengthwise between the left- and right-field foul lines, with the center ice faceoff dot placed on a straight line back from second base. At least half the seats in the house had poor sightlines, in large part because the rink's boards blocked the action from anyone not seated some 15 feet above the field. The Wrigley bleachers afforded some of the best looks at the action.

In the early '60s, when the Patriots played at Fenway, the gridiron was placed lengthwise along the first base and right-field foul line, with one end zone near the visiting dugout and the other close to the bullpens. Temporary bleacher seats, with room for thousands of fans, were erected along the length of The Wall. If the NHL places the rink similarly, the temporary and permanent bleacher seats would be among the best in the house.

The NHL will determine the price of seating for the Classic as well as the method of ticket availability and distribution. Based on the Wrigley experience, a ticket lottery is likely, with choice seats priced $250 or more.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Not having the Havs vs. the Bruins is lame.

But, nonetheless, good call to having the next WC at Fenway.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Post Franzen Signs for 11 Years with Detroit...

Story here: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=274629
Old 04-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Hawks beat the Bleh Things...!

...and BRING ON THE CALGARY SHAMES!
Old 04-11-2009, 08:39 PM
Team Owner

Yea...quite the stunner at the "Joe". 2nd part of the "home at home" tomorrow in Chicago and the close of the regular season. The Blackhawks clinch home ice advantage in the first round of the playoffs.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:30 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Phoenix wins!!!! Kings in the Lottery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ie a shot @ #1 pick!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Moog-Type-S; 04-11-2009 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:43 AM
I'm lost..

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NHL: 2009 Stanley Cup Playoffs

So 16 spots have been filled, and we're days away from game 1, round 1 of the NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs. Who are you folks predicting to win it all this year for 08-09?
Old 04-12-2009, 02:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Yea...quite the stunner at the "Joe". 2nd part of the "home at home" tomorrow in Chicago and the close of the regular season. The Blackhawks clinch home ice advantage in the first round of the playoffs.

And against a reeling Calgary team who has been pwned by the Hawks all season...

Also helps that Bulin has had their number throughout his career. Here's hoping Chicago can get out of the 1st round!
Old 04-12-2009, 03:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Post Lemaire Stepping Down in Minnesota...

Story here: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html
Old 04-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Team Owner

Good poll Ray-Ban. I'm ready for the playoffs !!!!

Old 04-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
Go Bruins!
Old 04-12-2009, 03:42 PM
Senior Moderator

For the record, I voted for Chicago...

I believe the finalists will likely be San Jose and New Jersey...with the Cup going to the Western Conference again.

But, can't vote against my team. GO HAWKS!
Old 04-12-2009, 04:55 PM
chips and smokes, lets go

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I already said a Calgary vs New Jersey final in the hockey talk thread. That prediction probably looked a bit better a few weeks ago but I'm going to stick to my guns. I'd like to see Iginla win the cup.

So many things have to go right so it's really hard to pick. Every team has some kind of knock against them that they'll have to overcome to win. I look forward to seeing what happens.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Go Flames Go
Old 04-12-2009, 06:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by loulinjai
Go Flames Go
Hawks in 6.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:57 PM

Nicely played Yumchah. Your goalies had two unreal weeks.

That was a lot of fun..much strategy involved. You are a worthy adversary.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:59 PM

Pittsburgh takes it all. And it will be the first time a team sweeps it's opponent in all rounds of the playoffs.

Quick Reply: Hockey: News and Discussion Thread