Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!
View Poll Results: Is your team in cap hell?
Yes
0%
No
0%
Don't care
0%
Go Nordiques!
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Hockey: News and Discussion Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 10:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dom
He specifically said he didn't want to be a rent-a-player and wanted to be with a team from beginning to end. He's now done the opposite.

And the draft picks and/or young players they could have got in return. Plus he could have played for a cup contender at the end of the season. The Thrashers got Esposito a first round draft pick, Armstrong and Christensen for Hossa. And I'm sure Sundin could've pulled in the same for a team he knew was "rebuilding".. But now this year he wants to play half a season for a cup contender per say..

And this is from a Pens fan. Although, I could really care less I just think he screwed them over for no reason.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:36 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonesi
The Thrashers got Esposito a first round draft pick, Armstrong and Christensen for Hossa.
Really? Link?

Old 01-08-2009, 10:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TSXforme
1. he wasn't sure he wanted to play again (which is why he took 9 months to make a decision)
2. same as above
3. tied to 1...perhaps there were thoughts in his head that he wanted to retire as a Leaf

soooo basically.... you're Three points are basically he wasn't sure he wanted to play again.. but has been the topic of all the news since the summer and has been talking to teams all along..

Lots of players leave as free agents, leave teams due to retirement etc. and teams are just as quick to slam the door shut on their players.

For example...Vince Carter screwed the Raptors over by playing half assed. I just don't see how Sundin did the same to the Leafs.

But what player plays basically their whole career with a team and then retires with them.. Then decides to come back and play for a different team?
Old 01-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
Really? Link?

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=100
Old 01-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure that's one quote that Sundin would gladly take back if he had to do it all over again. I probably should have clarified that my point is that the Leafs could have handled things differently with Mats. Given Sundin's value on his private life, I probably think that he would have really considered being traded last season if the Leaf's management didn't out right make their request of him waiving his no-trade clause public. But who knows.

Given what I saw of the game last night, Sundin sure looked rusty but you can definitely see good things happening when he gets up to speed.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:51 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Given what I saw of the game last night, Sundin sure looked rusty but you can definitely see good things happening when he gets up to speed.
I can count on 3 fingers the numbers of times Mats carried a team on his back in an important game.

You should be worried about Roberto, not Mats.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Burning Brakes

soooo basically.... you're Three points are basically he wasn't sure he wanted to play again.. but has been the topic of all the news since the summer and has been talking to teams all along..

But what player plays basically their whole career with a team and then retires with them.. Then decides to come back and play for a different team?
Those points of mine were the constant message that everyone has been seeing from tv interviews, news paper articles, etc.

Sundin never played his whole career with the Leafs and he never retired. He was in a state of limbo a la Selanne or Scott Niedermayer (the latter being of a different scenario).

I would be hard pressed to find a marque hockey player, but it happens a lot in many other sports. Hello Michael Jordan, Brett Farve?
Old 01-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Honestly I'm indifferent about Sundin. I actually am more concerned about Luongo and how his groin will hold up when he gets back.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Those points of mine were the constant message that everyone has been seeing from tv interviews, news paper articles, etc.

Sundin never played his whole career with the Leafs and he never retired. He was in a state of limbo a la Selanne or Scott Niedermayer (the latter being of a different scenario).

I would be hard pressed to find a marque hockey player, but it happens a lot in many other sports. Hello Michael Jordan, Brett Farve?

A) Sundin Selanne came back to play for who?

B) Favre is the exception not the rule (see his last 4 retirements until now)

C) Didn't Jordan do it because he was vested in the team at the time?
Old 01-08-2009, 11:24 AM
Burning Brakes

A) Sundin Selanne came back to play for who?

B) Favre is the exception not the rule (see his last 4 retirements until now)

C) Didn't Jordan do it because he was vested in the team at the time?
They're free agents and have reached the point where they can sign where ever they want. I don't have a problem with that and I don't see how this is screwing over a team. Selanne just happened to resign with the last team he played for. Sundin just happened to sign with Vancouver. I have never read any article stating that these two players were officially retired, but have read many articles stating that they were contemplating retirement.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Senior Moderator

"I don't want to be a rental player"

"I'm signing with the Canucks to play half a season"

irony?

subsequently Leafs miss out on a package similar to the one the Thrashers got..

"it's not about the money"

signs for what? like 11 million a year (I know half season)
Old 01-08-2009, 11:33 AM
Senior Moderator

of course i'm sick of players aka Neid and Selanne and Sundin pulling this I'm not playing next year, or maybe I am, I'll sign half way through a season to play if the team is competitive shit.. And i'm probably taking it out on Sundin..
Old 01-08-2009, 11:34 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Jonsei, you sure you're not a closet Leafs fan?

He fawked them over royally.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
Jonsei, you sure you're not a closet Leafs fan?

He fawked them over royally.

See post above yours...

Old 01-08-2009, 11:38 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

See post above yours...

Look at the times.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Burning Brakes

of course i'm sick of players aka Neid and Selanne and Sundin pulling this I'm not playing next year, or maybe I am, I'll sign half way through a season to play if the team is competitive shit.. And i'm probably taking it out on Sundin..
I'm tired of these types of players too. Sundin is clearly in it for the money. If he wanted to win he should have signed with a team in the east (for example the Bruins) for minimum salary as most teams in the east will have an easier time making out of this conference as opposed to the West. I just do not see how Sundin can see Vancouver making it far into the playoffs in comparison to San Jose and Detroit.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:44 AM
Burning Brakes

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2624...s=secStory_nhl

Good news for Pens fans that Staal is locked in for 4 years. I'm surprised that this contract of this term was handed out especially with the uncertainty of our current economy.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:55 AM
Senior Moderator

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2624...s=secStory_nhl

Good news for Pens fans that Staal is locked in for 4 years. I'm surprised that this contract of this term was handed out especially with the uncertainty of our current economy.

For a 3rd line center maybe.. Ideally he can play anywhere anytime in any situation and be productive at both ends. So for $4M I'd say it's a steal.. Just wondering if he's second guessing himself because he didn't get the long term deal the other kids got..
Old 01-08-2009, 12:29 PM
2008 Acura TL

Received 197 Likes on 183 Posts
Fuck this. Overpaid. Staal sucks. $3.5M AT MOST, and I wouldn't have given a 4 year deal. Hope they trade his ass.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,478 Likes on 3,071 Posts
4 million a year? Personally I think we should have traded him for a scoring winger, 4 mil a year on the cap is gonna hurt, oh well I don't dislike staal, but we could have spent that money a lot better in my opinion. However he is a good penalty killer and deccent center if he'd relearn to go to the net and play in front
Old 01-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,478 Likes on 3,071 Posts
Originally Posted by Rounder
Fuck this. Overpaid. Staal sucks. $3.5M AT MOST, and I wouldn't have given a 4 year deal. Hope they trade his ass.
They won't trade him though, unless they're trying to build him up as a bigger better pickup for another team, but knowing shero he'll keep him and burn more cap money than he should
Old 01-08-2009, 12:32 PM
2008 Acura TL

I know this has been said before, but Shero effed up big time in taking Staal. The only reason he picked him was because Eric Staal was a good player. Toews is better. Backstrom is better. Hell, even Kessel is better at this point.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:01 PM
Senior Moderator

You guys need to calm down.. He's never been given the chance yet.. He's a 3rd line center. Let them mold him into a wing to play with Sid or Malkin and/or give him a chance to do so.. or give him a chance to play in front of the net on first PP unit..

1) He hasn't been given the chance to play with the top 1 or 2 lines. (yes, maybe a shift or two but Therrien always does that)
2) He hasn't been given the chance on top power play unit.

$4M is decent for a guy who is #1 PK unit. Running a tough 3rd line, Running the 2nd PP unit etc etc.

I think it's pretty obvious where they want him to be as a role player right now.

I know.. Depth on a team and two way hockey is overrated..
Old 01-08-2009, 02:07 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

You guys need to calm down.. He's never been given the chance yet.. He's a 3rd line center. Let them mold him into a wing to play with Sid or Malkin and/or give him a chance to do so.. or give him a chance to play in front of the net on first PP unit..

Or trade him to Toronto for Kaberle. You guys need the PP help.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom

I'll take McCabe....
Old 01-08-2009, 03:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dom

I still think the better move would have been to trade Staal for a stud defenseman like a Boumeester or someone like that. Pens' depth up front is not an issue...the backend on the other hand. Gonchar's absence is really noticeable.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:40 PM
2008 Acura TL

P'ZONE!
Old 01-08-2009, 06:21 PM
Senior Moderator

I still think the better move would have been to trade Staal for a stud defenseman like a Boumeester or someone like that. Pens' depth up front is not an issue...the backend on the other hand. Gonchar's absence is really noticeable.

I disagree... I think the Pens sacrificed enough last season for Hossa.. That set the Pens back long enough. When it comes to young defensemen I'm fine with Letang, Goligoski and Lovejoy..

Now if the Pens still had Esposito or a number #1 pick from this year in the pipeline or even Hossa signed long term I might agree. But Gonchar is still on schedule for late Feb early march. And the sacrifice for Hossa was enough.

Although I will take a nice young winger to play with Crosby for Staal. He's played all this time with nobody on his wing except partially Hossa last year.. Pretty impressive stats for carrying a first line himself and always up against top paired top D. Seriously.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:00 AM
chips and smokes, lets go

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
NHL SuperSkills
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=4...id=DL|NHL|home

They've made a change to the most creative breakaway challenge. Instead of getting one attempt at it, players will get a minute session in the offensive zone to show their skills. Big improvement from last year. Not mentioned in the article, but I also heard that the NHL was considering using University level goalies. Should be interesting to see.

Its also hard to believe that the hardest shot record still stands from 15 years ago.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:04 AM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by herbalist
NHL SuperSkills
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=4...id=DL|NHL|home

They've made a change to the most creative breakaway challenge. Instead of getting one attempt at it, players will get a minute session in the offensive zone to show their skills. Big improvement from last year. Not mentioned in the article, but I also heard that the NHL was considering using University level goalies. Should be interesting to see.

Its also hard to believe that the hardest shot record still stands from 15 years ago.
I didn't click the link, but is it Al Mcinnis?

With regards to the breakaway challenge and using university level goalies, it just sounds like they're trying to turn the damn all star game into some stupid spectacle, personally I'm embarrassed.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,947 Likes on 14,061 Posts
^ Either McInnis or Iafrate...both are Al's.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:07 AM
Unofficial Goat

Ahhhh it was Ifarate, Imagine what he could do with the flex of these new composite sitcks.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:16 AM

Al Iafrate harnessed the power of his skullet. I'm surprised that the record hasn't fallen with the composite sticks.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:23 AM
Unofficial Goat

Al Iafrate harnessed the power of his skullet. I'm surprised that the record hasn't fallen with the composite sticks.
Mind you I bet he could make an wood stick flex like one of these composites, maybe not quite to the extreme that they do now, but I bet he was able to get a lot out of it, that these kids would never be able too.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:32 AM

^Its not so much the flexibility of it as it is the quickness at which it snaps back into shape when you do flex it. Wood stick doesn't have the same pop. Its kind of hard to believe that the record hasn't been broken considering that.

And I don't mind the NHL trying to shake things up with the superskills challenge. Its only the one event where I heard they'd consider using lesser skilled goalies. Let the players show off the skills and tricks that they do in practice. Thats what people want to see. A display of the elite level skills.

Go to any shinny rink in the city and you'll see kids all trying to danlge and pick up the puck like Crosby. Its very rare that you'll get a chance to see that sort of thing in a game so why not give the players a stage to try them. For entertainment value.

Its not what purists want to see but the game has evolved and I give the NHL credit for actually doing something to get with the times rather than their usual of doing nothing. This is a brand new event and they're still tweaking it.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:37 AM
Unofficial Goat

^Its not so much the flexibility of it as it is the quickness at which it snaps back into shape when you do flex it. Wood stick doesn't have the same pop. Its kind of hard to believe that the record hasn't been broken considering that.

And I don't mind the NHL trying to shake things up with the superskills challenge. Its only the one event where I heard they'd consider using lesser skilled goalies. Let the players show off the skills and tricks that they do in practice. Thats what people want to see. A display of the elite level skills.

Go to any shinny rink in the city and you'll see kids all trying to danlge and pick up the puck like Crosby. Its very rare that you'll get a chance to see that sort of thing in a game so why not give the players a stage to try them. For entertainment value.

Its not what purists want to see but the game has evolved and I give the NHL credit for actually doing something to get with the times rather than their usual of doing nothing. This is a brand new event and they're still tweaking it.
We trying to make the globe trotters on ice?
Old 01-09-2009, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by The Dougler
We trying to make the globe trotters on ice?
Why not give the players the opportunity to show of some of their skills? We know that many players have a lot of tricks up their sleeves that we've never seen. I don't think its a bad idea for one event in the superskills challenge to display them. We're not talking about the playoffs, were talking about a skills showcase.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:53 AM
Unofficial Goat

Why not give the players the opportunity to show of some of their skills? We know that many players have a lot of tricks up their sleeves that we've never seen. I don't think its a bad idea for one event in the superskills challenge to display them. We're not talking about the playoffs, were talking about a skills showcase.
The way I see it is as this: For example at the NBA All Star game, there's the Dunk contest, which allows them to show off some stuff they might not do in a game, however, they don't decrease the height of the net, or make the ball smaller which would make these feats easier. In kind one shouldn't expect the NHL to make the net bigger or the goalies less talented to exhibit some silly talent that's totally not replicable in a game situation in favor of selling tickets. Just like in the home run derby in the MLB, they still pitch at full speed, use normal bats and have to hit the same distance. IMO bettman is trying to make this into a 3 ring circus.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:10 AM

I don't have a problem with it for one event. And its not for certain yet that it will be University goalies. Either way, I am in favor of it. I want to see creativity, dangles, and lacrosse inspired dekes. Things that if you tried in the game, you would be on your ass.

That style of play and those moves are relatively new in hockey and this event will evolve over the years. Why not experiment to see what works? I don't think it jeopardizes the games credibility. Look at what happened last year. There were hardly any goals in this event and people were still talking about Ovechkin flipping the puck in the air, doing a 360, and taking a swing at the puck.

Its hard to compare the skills showcase from hockey to baseball or basketball. Hockey is more difficult in my opinion. I don't watch baseball but look at the NBA dunk challenge. Players using props and such to make it more entertaining. People love it.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:10 AM
Senior Moderator

I don't mind seeing a creative skills competition as long as it stays to just that one competition.

Quick Reply: Hockey: News and Discussion Thread