Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!
View Poll Results: Is your team in cap hell?
Yes
0%
No
0%
Don't care
0%
Go Nordiques!
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Hockey: News and Discussion Thread

Old 01-19-2005 | 12:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by mc_yanzo
I miss hockey. Even though the Bruins have the worst owner EVER!

I think the NHL needs contraction though. 30 teams is way too many! Get rid of Columbus, Nashville, Anaheim, Carolina, one of the FL teams, one of the NY teams.

There just isn't a big enough fan base to keep all these teams around.

No, they don't. You have Joe Thornton and Sergei Samsonov...! And the Bruins make playoffs annually...

The team I cheer for (Da Hawks)? They're a pathetic farm team that calls themselves an NHL club...
Old 01-19-2005 | 12:35 PM
Masshole

Originally Posted by Yumchah
No, they don't. You have Joe Thornton and Sergei Samsonov...! And the Bruins make playoffs annually...

The team I cheer for (Da Hawks)? They're a pathetic farm team that calls themselves an NHL club...
I agree that the Blackhawks are pathetic and that their owner is probably the worst in the league. But Jeremy Jacobs is a scumbag and a terrible owner.

Besides, what good is it if you make the playoffs and lose in the first round to a lower seeded team every year (ex. Montreal)?
Old 01-19-2005 | 12:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by mc_yanzo
I agree that the Blackhawks are pathetic and that their owner is probably the worst in the league. But Jeremy Jacobs is a scumbag and a terrible owner.

Besides, what good is it if you make the playoffs and lose in the first round to a lower seeded team every year (ex. Montreal)?
I feel your pain. But, you know, I'd trade you for 1st-round losses just to see a Hawks team that is remotely good enough to make the playoffs...
Old 01-19-2005 | 05:06 PM
Go B's Go

CHICAGO - Representatives of the National Hockey League met today with representatives of the NHL Players' Association to discuss collective bargaining matters.

The meeting lasted approximately five hours, including several breaks for caucuses by the individual groups.

The NHL was represented by Harley Hotchkiss of the Calgary Flames, Chairman of the NHL Board of Governors; Bill Daly, NHL Executive Vice President & Chief Legal Officer; and outside counsel Robert Batterman. The NHLPA was represented by Trevor Linden of the Vancouver Canucks, NHLPA president; Ted Saskin, Senior Director, Business Affairs and Licensing; and outside counsel John McCambridge.

After the meeting, Mr. Hotchkiss released the following statement, which will serve as his only comment: "We credit Trevor Linden's initiative in requesting this session, which was informal, open and professional and which resulted in a constructive exchange of viewpoints."

Mr. Daly added: "We appreciate the initiative Trevor Linden took in arranging this meeting. The parties had a good, candid dialogue, and we intend to talk again. Out of respect for the process, we have no further comment at this time."

At least we have some good news
Old 01-19-2005 | 05:07 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by BstonBruin
At least we have some good news
Old 01-19-2005 | 05:08 PM
Go B's Go

The Bruins are in terms of salary and player wise in very good shape...once the NHL gets going again. They have a good young defense manned by Nick Boynton, a future hall of fame goalie in Andrew Raycroft, and very good talent upfront with Thornton, Samsonov, Bergeron etc and some good young guys like Andy Hillbert.

--------------------------------
~Biggest Bruins Fan
Old 01-19-2005 | 05:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by BstonBruin
The Bruins are in terms of salary and player wise in very good shape...once the NHL gets going again. They have a good young defense manned by Nick Boynton, a future hall of fame goalie in Andrew Raycroft, and very good talent upfront with Thornton, Samsonov, Bergeron etc and some good young guys like Andy Hillbert.

--------------------------------
~Biggest Bruins Fan
I'd kill for just one of those players you named on the Hawks who only really have Tuomo Ruutu who's worthwhile of an NHL jersey...
Old 01-19-2005 | 05:22 PM
Go B's Go

yeah he's a good young player....only 21 i think or around there.....another three years he'll be a big time player
Old 01-20-2005 | 03:03 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Rumors Swirl
Sportsnet.ca reported briefly that the lock-out was over and an eight year deal was signed. Then, they quickly took it off of their site. I do know that even though the two sides are meeting today in person, they have been talking since Saturday. Until the meeting is over, I don't have any new info. According to one source, Sportsnet may be sitting on something for a few days, and they wanted to scoop everyone, and then the NHL forced them to pull it. It is odd that something so specific would be gone so quickly.

http://hockeyrumors.blogspot.com/
Old 01-20-2005 | 03:05 PM
Missing My CL-S

Go Leafs Go!
Old 01-20-2005 | 03:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SG81
Go Leafs Go!
Hey, at least they are always a sure-bet to beat the Sens!
Old 01-20-2005 | 03:08 PM
Teh ?

hockey?! what's that?

Junkster, who thinks both sides are desparate now
Old 01-20-2005 | 03:08 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Reason for optimism?

Sources tell Sportsnet the Phoenix Coyotes coaching staff has informed its players they need to be on standby, prepared to practice within the next seven days.

Sportsnet.ca -- The National Hockey League and the NHLPA are meeting this afternoon in Toronto and sources tell Sportsnet the players associations' executive committee has been brought in to add weight to the process.

With the exception of Daniel Alfredsson and Arturs Irbe, the rest of the executive team has flown in. Bill Guerin, Bob Boughner, Trent Klatt, and Vincent Damphousse have gathered in Toronto, but are not participating in the meeting.

Sources say the executives will be briefed by NHLPA President Trevor Linden immediately following the meeting and will then determine what direction needs to be taken from that point on.

Perhaps, a sign this marathon stalemate might be about to end comes in Sportsnet's confirmation at least one team is urging its players to be ready for training camp, as early as next week.

Sources tell Sportsnet the Phoenix Coyotes coaching staff has informed its players they need to be on standby, prepared to practice within the next seven days.

While it remains clear there is a great deal of work to be done before either side emerges from today's meeting with a resolution, an incredible sense of urgency continues to grow.

The biggest hurdle the NHL will face is scrambling to reconstruct the league and all of the off-ice logistics that go along with that. Through a process that includes all non-economic matters, it's believed the earliest a season could start is February 10.
Old 01-20-2005 | 03:09 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

I'm giddy in anticipation
Old 01-20-2005 | 03:10 PM
Missing My CL-S

Hey, at least they are always a sure-bet to beat the Sens!

Sundin is the man!!!
Old 01-20-2005 | 03:14 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

The wheels will really start to turns when you see all the NHL guys in Europe mysteriously dissapearing and showing up back in North America.
Old 01-20-2005 | 03:18 PM
Teh ?

or when we start seeing NHL stars at US airports with lots of bags...

Junkster, who wonders how long the season would be if they started now
Old 01-20-2005 | 03:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Junkster
or when we start seeing NHL stars at US airports with lots of bags...

Junkster, who wonders how long the season would be if they started now
The season would probably be like what happened after the last lockout...More or less on schedule by playoff time (give or take a week or two)...
Old 01-20-2005 | 04:07 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

:whocares: I hope they don't play this season, less hockey highlights on ESPN Sportscenter.
Old 01-20-2005 | 04:11 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Black CL-S 4-Life
:whocares: I hope they don't play this season, less hockey highlights on ESPN Sportscenter.
Old 01-20-2005 | 04:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Black CL-S 4-Life
If I was a Mod, I'd yo @$$ for that comment!

Old 01-20-2005 | 04:13 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

If I was a Mod, I'd yo @$$ for that comment!

He just want's more WNBA highlights.
Old 01-20-2005 | 04:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
That, or figure skating...
Old 01-20-2005 | 04:14 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

That, or figure skating...
Mens' figure skating?!? :ghey:
Old 01-20-2005 | 04:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Mens' figure skating?!? :ghey:
Definitely.

That plus some ice-fishing highlights...
Old 01-20-2005 | 04:15 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

And he has HNIC under his Avatar :Hockey Night in Canada"
Old 01-20-2005 | 04:19 PM
Teh ?

so...

if hockey comes back, will this lock-out thread be locked ?

word play... junkster thought funny...

nevermind.

Junkster, who was trying to be clever
Old 01-20-2005 | 04:19 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by domn

Old 01-20-2005 | 04:29 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Originally Posted by domn

Not quite, HNIC stands for "Head Nigga In Charge"
Old 01-20-2005 | 04:31 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Nope, just more basketball and football coverage. :dog:
Old 01-21-2005 | 01:49 PM
The Undertaker

Hockey Fan Uses Obituary to Slam NHL Lockout

Hockey Fan Uses Obituary to Slam NHL Lockout
Ottawa Resident Blasts 'Skunks' for Denying Him Hockey

OTTAWA (Jan. 21) - An ardent hockey fan who died this week used his obituary to denounce the NHL lockout.

Archie Bennitz, 84, instructed his son to criticize NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and union leader Bob Goodenow in his death notice.

Bennitz called Bettman and Goodenow "skunks for denying him the pleasure of watching the NHL on TV this year," the obituary in the Ottawa Citizen read. Bennitz also urged Bettman to step aside in favor of Wayne Gretzky.

David Bennitz said his father had become increasingly angry during his last month in the hospital as the lockout dragged on. Hockey was the only thing he watched on TV.

Bennitz, who was born in Nova Scotia and grew up just north of Toronto, was a dedicated Maple Leafs fan. He developed a soft spot for the Ottawa Senators, however, after he moved to Ottawa about three years ago to be closer to his family.

People are dying because there is no hockey!!!
Old 01-21-2005 | 01:51 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

I'm not too far behind
Old 01-21-2005 | 02:08 PM
Teh ?

Great fan, I must say.

Junkster, who would do the same if NFL or NBA pulled this crap
Old 01-21-2005 | 02:22 PM
Photography Nerd

I wonder how many other untold lives have been lost due to the NHL lockout this year.

Canucks can't live without it.
Old 01-21-2005 | 02:24 PM
Old fart

NHL

they are pissing me off!
Old 01-27-2005 | 11:18 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

NHL to table new proposal

According to sources the next round of meetings will be held in New York either today or Friday.

Sportsnet.ca -- The NHL refuses to quit on the season. Sportsnet has learned the NHL is preparing a proposal they intend to present to the NHLPA no later than tomorrow.

Despite a clandestine meeting held in Toronto Wednesday, little progress was made despite the inclusion of New Jersey Devils GM Lou Lamoriello. Lamoriello, a member of the NHL's negotiating committee, is respected by the union and seen as someone who wants to make a deal.

The Devils executive joined Daly, NHL board of governors chairman Harley Hotchkiss and outside counsel Bob Batterman, and NHLPA president Trevor Linden, Saskin and outside counsel John McCambridge.

Once again, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and NHLPA executive director Bob Goodenow sat out the meeting.

The key issues remain the same with the NHL's unrelenting stance on a hard salary cap league-wide the main obstacle. The source says many ideas have been thrown around, however, this latest round of discussions in Toronto didn't offer anything that might bridge the philosophical gap between the two sides.

The two sides wrapped up their latest bargaining session around Wednesday afternoon.

"The meeting has concluded for the day and we will meet again this week," NHL executive vice-president and chief legal officer Bill Daly said in a statement. "We have no further comment at this time."

NHLPA Senior Director Ted Saskin also released a statement, saying pretty much the same thing: "After meeting today we have agreed to continue discussions and will not be making any further comment at this time."

Unlike last week, when reporters tracked down the two sides at an airport lounge in Chicago and a Toronto airport hotel, the location of Wednesday's meeting stayed secret.

There was plenty of guesswork, however.

Word circulated Wednesday morning that the meeting was at the Sutton Place Hotel in downtown Toronto. But media were later asked to leave the hotel and neither the NHLPA or the NHL would confirm where the meeting was taking place.

Daly did offer a comment to CBC television while leaving his hotel Wednesday morning.

"Hopefully we'll get closer to resolution," he said, while adding: "We need to get something done quick."

Through Wednesday, 713 of the season's 1,230 regular-season games had gone 7by the wayside.

-- With files from CP --
Old 01-27-2005 | 01:29 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

1270 this morning had a "insider" that knew the talks took place at the Hyatt in Toronto last night said the following..he also knew about a late night dinner at an Italian restaurant in Toronto....

He said....

talks will continue today in New York

Hard Cap at $50M, anything over $40 million will be subject to luxury tax (soft-cap)

each team can have one franchise player that does not count towards the cap

30 game season with normal playoffs

deal has to be done by Friday or season will be scrapped

Ej Hradek from ESPN news was on right after and confirmed he was hearing about the same thing..also said his gut was the deal would get done..EJ thinks the fact the coaches are meeting as well is a sign it will get done..plus he's heard teams GMs have been told to get immigration details for all players done and ready..and to get the PR staffs ready to start marketing again

the 1270 source also said talks are that unrestricted free agents may be dolled out using a draft to save time rather than normal signatures but doubts that will happen..

Tom Masawe the producer of S and L said this source told him about Carlise firing and Barry Sanders retirement before it happened....he's betting it will happen

Also fan 590 in toronto says...NHL has proposal for NHLPA today or tomorrow...
sourcewww.sportsnet.c
Old 01-27-2005 | 01:40 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Why all the flying around? Chicago to Toronto to NY. If they spent as much time negotiating as they have been travelling they'd be playing already.

I don't understand why there has to be another proposal? They've spend days talking about it and I'm sure if Daly presented a 50 mill hard cap like the report suggests and the PA liked the idea they would have already announced a deal. Why do they need a official proposal?

IMO its because they've gotten nowhere and this is the NHL's way of at least saying they tried. The proposal will be rejected and I'll be stuck watchig curling til June.
Old 01-27-2005 | 01:43 PM
Teh ?

They're just stalling... the Union doesn't want to say they won't talk, so that the owners can't use alternate players. The owners don't want to say they won't talk, so they don't look like the asshats...

They should just be honest and say that they're cancelling this season and will work on the next season... if that's even a possibility.

Meh, I'm sick of this crap from NHL... make a new league... 16 to 20 teams, higher salary cap. Teams that have money should just start up a new league.

Junkster, who is sick of Bettman
Old 01-27-2005 | 02:02 PM
Go B's Go

Originally Posted by Junkster
They're just stalling... the Union doesn't want to say they won't talk, so that the owners can't use alternate players. The owners don't want to say they won't talk, so they don't look like the asshats...

They should just be honest and say that they're cancelling this season and will work on the next season... if that's even a possibility.

Meh, I'm sick of this crap from NHL... make a new league... 16 to 20 teams, higher salary cap. Teams that have money should just start up a new league.

Junkster, who is sick of Bettman
This is terrible this back and forth stuff and everytime you get some hope but then you find out that they're not gonna play this season anyways
Bstonbruin, who thinks Junkster knows his hockey

Quick Reply: Hockey: News and Discussion Thread