Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

College Football National Champs Predictions

Old 10-23-2006, 11:58 AM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by cob3683
That would be the 2006 Rose Bowl

Great game, but USC/Texas is hardly a storied 100 year rivalry.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:02 AM
N00b just got here

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its gonna be the winner of the OSU/MICH game. im a georgia boy, and we're not doin good, and i hate to see the same teams go every year. USC is just about the most overrated team this side of the patriots. their schedule is weaker than the big east's. they should be kicked out of #2, and the winner of WVA and Louisvulle should be the number 2 team. DUH
Old 10-24-2006, 12:02 PM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Taylor is Legend
its gonna be the winner of the OSU/MICH game. im a georgia boy, and we're not doin good, and i hate to see the same teams go every year. USC is just about the most overrated team this side of the patriots. their schedule is weaker than the big east's. they should be kicked out of #2, and the winner of WVA and Louisvulle should be the number 2 team. DUH
Outside of WV, Louis., Pitt., and Rutgers, the Big East is nothing but glorified HS teams. The Pac-10 is definitely stronger, top to bottom, than the Big East. USC may be overrated (my SEC roots agree with you), but they keep on winning.

I would rank the major conferences (this year):
1) SEC (AU, UF, LSU, ARK and UT are all great teams...UGA, Bama, USC are all solid...UK is capable of giving anyone a scare...MSU and Ole Miss are flat out terrible)
2) Big 10 (UM, OSU, Wisc. are all great...PSU, Iowa, and Purdue are capable of beating anyone if they show up....IU and Ill. are improving)
3) Big 12 (UT, NEB, OU are the class...A&M, OSU, and Baylor are solid)
4) ACC (Clemson is awesome, followed by strong GT/VT teams...FSU/UM could play with anyone in the country if they wanted to)
5) Pac 10 (4-5 good/great teams, 3 teams that are terrible)
6) Big East (Top 4 are solid, everyone else should be D-IAA)
Old 10-24-2006, 12:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'd much rather see USC than West Virginia/Louisville in title game..
Old 10-24-2006, 01:32 PM
intelligentsia

Location: Land of cheap vodka, hot girls, and great nightlife
Hmm I don't know Michigan didn't look to sharp against Iowa, I think they may get blown out vs OSU. Next year they may be better when Manningham is back.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:23 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,124 Likes on 807 Posts
What makes you think Manningham won't be back? By most accounts, he'll be back sometime in the next few weeks. Besides, bucky's offense doesn't match up well with the Michigan defense.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:56 PM
intelligentsia

Originally Posted by F-C
What makes you think Manningham won't be back? By most accounts, he'll be back sometime in the next few weeks. Besides, bucky's offense doesn't match up well with the Michigan defense.
I have inside information that he is out for the season. So they need big games from Arrington and damnit I cant remeber the other reciviers.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Taylor is Legend
USC is just about the most overrated team this side of the patriots. their schedule is weaker than the big east's. they should be kicked out of #2, and the winner of WVA and Louisvulle should be the number 2 team. DUH

The Pac-10 is what it is but who else schedules Arkansas, Nebraska, and Notre Dame as their non-conference opponents?
Old 10-24-2006, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by SRK85
I have inside information that he is out for the season. So they need big games from Arrington and damnit I cant remeber the other reciviers.
Interesting...regardless, they seem to struggly offensively when manningham's not there.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:23 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by sonnyg80
Interesting...regardless, they seem to struggly offensively when manningham's not there.

Manningham will be back for the OSU game, and this soft stretch in the schedule is a great time for Michigan to get other receivers involved with touches.

It would not surprise me at all if Lloyd is sandbagging a bit before the big game. Big Blue is overdue for a big win in Columbus.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:51 PM
Bent = #1

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by jlukja

The Pac-10 is what it is but who else schedules Arkansas, Nebraska, and Notre Dame as their non-conference opponents?

I don't see your point about their scheduling. Arkansas is not that great of a team. Yes they came to our stadium and handled us very nice. Arkansas hasn't beaten anyone else to show that they are for real. Let me see them beat 2 of these 3 SEC teams and I will give them their glory. South Carolina, Tennessee, and LSU.

USC has a rivalry with Notre Dame so they play every year no matter if Notre Dame is good/bad or overrated (this year).
Old 10-24-2006, 07:33 PM
intelligentsia

Originally Posted by Fibonacci
Manningham will be back for the OSU game, and this soft stretch in the schedule is a great time for Michigan to get other receivers involved with touches.

It would not surprise me at all if Lloyd is sandbagging a bit before the big game. Big Blue is overdue for a big win in Columbus.
Hmm we will see about that. Im still betting his out I got my sources
Old 10-24-2006, 08:33 PM
Bent = #1

Hmm we will see about that. Im still betting his out I got my sources

How sure are you? just % would be nice.. My g/f lives next door to our QB, WR and kickoff guy, so I would let you know if they were injured!
Old 10-24-2006, 10:36 PM
intelligentsia

Originally Posted by hornyleprechaun
How sure are you? just % would be nice.. My g/f lives next door to our QB, WR and kickoff guy, so I would let you know if they were injured!
I say 80% according to someone within the hostipal Manningham has a long recvoery time. But then again all the ushers at the game say he will be back by then. But they don't know either.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:38 PM
Bent = #1

O ok I see.. Thanks for the info!
Old 10-24-2006, 11:48 PM
intelligentsia

Yea just giving the heads up just in case you guys bet. Even though Carr is saying he 's improving, I doubt Manningham will be back. Plus they are saying this to make ohio state prepare for Manningham.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:21 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

From today's Ann Arbor News:

The return date for Mario Manningham remains murky, but University of Michigan football coach Lloyd Carr said the star wide receiver "is making very rapid progress'' in his recovery from arthroscopic knee surgery.

Carr reiterated that Manningham will play again this season, yet added that it probably won't be during Saturday's homecoming game against Northwestern (2-6, 0-4 Big Ten). Despite missing the last two games, the sophomore leads the Wolverines with 527 receiving yards and nine touchdowns.
From today's Detroit Free News:

Carr also said receiver Mario Manningham is expected to resume running this week, as part of his rehabilitation from knee surgery.

It's a good sign if he is running.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:55 AM
Team Owner

I don't see your point about their scheduling. Arkansas is not that great of a team. Yes they came to our stadium and handled us very nice. Arkansas hasn't beaten anyone else to show that they are for real. Let me see them beat 2 of these 3 SEC teams and I will give them their glory. South Carolina, Tennessee, and LSU.

USC has a rivalry with Notre Dame so they play every year no matter if Notre Dame is good/bad or overrated (this year).
I was responding to another poster who stated that USC's schedule is weak and that the winner of the WVA/Louisville game should be no. 2.

What I should have pointed out was that (per Sagarin Rankings) that USC has the toughest schedule as compared to Louisville (77th) and WVA (92nd).
Old 10-25-2006, 11:35 AM
intelligentsia

Originally Posted by F-C
From today's Ann Arbor News:

From today's Detroit Free News:

True but if you follow the NFL look what Chris Simms said about his injury he expects to be back. But with an injury like that I doubt it. Oh well im hoping Manningham will be back for the Ohio State game but it still a few weeks away with injuries like that who knows.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:07 PM
Bent = #1

I was responding to another poster who stated that USC's schedule is weak and that the winner of the WVA/Louisville game should be no. 2.

What I should have pointed out was that (per Sagarin Rankings) that USC has the toughest schedule as compared to Louisville (77th) and WVA (92nd).
I do agree USCs schedule is tougher than WVU and Louisville. I still don't think either of those 3 should be in the National Championship game. If either of those 3 teams played in the SEC they would have at least 1 loss if not 2 by seasons end. I envy Florida's team having played Alabama, LSU, Auburn, week off, then Georgia all in a row. Those 4 games are just so physically tough.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:23 PM
Team Owner

I do agree USCs schedule is tougher than WVU and Louisville. I still don't think either of those 3 should be in the National Championship game. If either of those 3 teams played in the SEC they would have at least 1 loss if not 2 by seasons end. I envy Florida's team having played Alabama, LSU, Auburn, week off, then Georgia all in a row. Those 4 games are just so physically tough.
I disagree. The Pac-10 is a pretty tough conference. In addition, USC played Arkansas and Nebraska and beat both. If USC can finish unbeaten it means it beat Oregon, California, Notre Dame, and UCLA to finish 12-0 and no team would have played a tougher schedule and wound up undefeted at that point.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by F-C
congrats...they might need him if dumbass arrington gets thrown in jail for his domestic violence charge

OH-IO!!
Old 10-25-2006, 04:53 PM
Bent = #1

I disagree. The Pac-10 is a pretty tough conference. In addition, USC played Arkansas and Nebraska and beat both. If USC can finish unbeaten it means it beat Oregon, California, Notre Dame, and UCLA to finish 12-0 and no team would have played a tougher schedule and wound up undefeted at that point.

Oregon should have 3 losses now instead of 2. They did lose against Wash State (who Auburn beat fairly nicely, USC barely beat Wash. State) another against Oklahoma where you know they shouldn't have gotten that onside kick call.

O and Oregon beat Fresno State by a touchdown, while LSU beat Fresno State 38-6..

Tennessee beat Cal really nicely earlier this season, so we'll see how USC fairs against them. And Cal almost lost to Washington last week, and USC COULD have lost to Washington if they knew how to manage the clock.

Notre Dame is so overrated. They were even overrated last year when they got selected for the Fiesta Bowl and got destroyed by Ohio State. And by no means are they better then they were last year (Notre Dame that is).

UCLA is a good team, but not a Great team. They lost to Washington earlier and I am quite sure they will lose to Washington State this coming Saturday (who again Auburn beat fairly nicely).

Like I said earlier, USC, West Virginia, and Louisville would have at least 1 loss if not 2 or more by the end of this season if they played in the SEC.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:10 PM
intelligentsia

Ohio State vs LSU will be the championship the winner will be Ohio State.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:18 PM
I feel the need...

Nah, it'll be a Michigan vs USC for the championship and after our victory, we'll be singing Hail, Hail to Michigan the leaders and the Best!
Old 10-25-2006, 07:10 PM
intelligentsia

Nah, it'll be a Michigan vs USC for the championship and after our victory, we'll be singing Hail, Hail to Michigan the leaders and the Best!
I hope but i dont know Ohio State has been looking at a lot better then Michigan.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:22 PM
Bent = #1

LSU? They have no chance of making it to the SEC championship game.. have losses to Florida and Auburn..? I agree they are better than their record, but they had some bad luck since their tough games are schedule away this year..

Edit: Not to mention LSU is going to Tennessee this weekend.. could be loss #3
Old 10-25-2006, 08:46 PM
intelligentsia

My bad hopefully the gators then but who knows. Auburn? I dont know.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:32 PM
Bent = #1

We are a lot better team then we actually play.. Last weekend we had our best offensive game the whole year, so hopefully it keeps going strong. A good stat to show off our defense is we allowed 0 points in the 2nd half of both the LSU and Florida games.. I think the winner of the SEC championship game should play in the national championship game.. unless it is arkansas

They control their own destiny if they win 2 of the 3 against lsu, tennessee and south carolina. I think Tennessee and LSU will beat them, and if it happens we go to the SEC championship game if we beat UGA and Bama.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:58 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by sonnyg80
congrats...they might need him if dumbass arrington gets thrown in jail for his domestic violence charge

OH-IO!!
Yeah, what a stupid thing to do. But I doubt if any laws were broken at all. It's not even a she said, he said situation. Looks like just another case where the prosecuter wants to make a name for himself.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:00 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Detroit News:
Ticket brokers are asking as much as $4,270 for a lower-level club seat on the 42-yard line at Ohio Stadium to attend the Nov. 18 grudge match between Michigan and Ohio State. Bargain hunters might be satisfied with shelling out $700 for an end-zone seat.

The face value of a ticket to the game is $59. Clearly, this is not your average regular-season finale between the bitter rivals.

Ohio State is the nation's top-ranked team, U-M is No. 2. They are 23 days from the game, and if the teams remain unbeaten, that will set the stage for a meeting that will have the look and feel of a national championship game. It would also be the first time the teams met as the top two ranked teams in the country.

The winner will earn a spot in the Bowl Championship Series national title game Jan. 8. The loser appears headed to the New Year's Day Rose Bowl.

The average price so far for a ticket to this game sold by StubHub, a San Francisco-based ticket broker, has been $858. By comparison, StubHub's average ticket price for this year's World Series between the Tigers and Cardinals has been $624.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:43 PM

nice dream ur having there, lol
Old 10-28-2006, 07:53 PM
Bent = #1

Doesn't matter now.. USC lost to Oregon State! I'm just waiting to see how far the pollsters drop them in the rankings.. Even so USC will lose at least one more game this year so no worries!

Care to repick the national championship game?
Old 10-29-2006, 10:16 AM
Acurazine OG.

Ohio State vs. Florida for the championship.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:41 PM
Bent = #1

I'll pull for them unless of course Auburn gets to go to the SEC championship game. I think Florida is a good team and would love to see the SEC represented.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:15 PM
I feel the need...

Care to repick the national championship game?

Man, I knew USC looked beatable, but didn't think Oregon State was gonna be the one to knock them off. What an entertaining game!

If it's not a one loss team facing Michigan, it could just be Big East matchup vs. the Maize and Blue for the title. Who would'a thunk it???
Old 10-30-2006, 08:49 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Man, I knew USC looked beatable, but didn't think Oregon State was gonna be the one to knock them off. What an entertaining game!

If it's not a one loss team facing Michigan, it could just be Big East matchup vs. the Maize and Blue for the title. Who would'a thunk it???
It's too bad Michigan won't have the pleasure of knocking off Southern Cal.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:17 AM
Team Owner

Doesn't matter now.. USC lost to Oregon State! I'm just waiting to see how far the pollsters drop them in the rankings.. Even so USC will lose at least one more game this year so no worries!
Damn, and that's with a week off to heal up. They've been walking the tightrope for a while.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:35 PM
Rag & Bone

The Eyes of Texas are Upon You...

quietly lurking, watching
Old 10-31-2006, 12:11 AM
Bent = #1

Originally Posted by TheThirdMan
The Eyes of Texas are Upon You...

quietly lurking, watching

almost losing to Nebraska and Texas Tech too!

Quick Reply: College Football National Champs Predictions