Any regrets from TLX Type S owners?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2021, 11:37 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,152 Likes on 823 Posts
Originally Posted by Tesla1856
Well, don't assume all of us don't "know the car" just because we don't currently own one.
Tip of the day : One really need to drive the TLX-S around for a couple days to realize the car is so much fun to drive.

First, personalize the complete suite of vehicle dynamic settings, then get familiar with all the controls and buttons. Make yourself at home with the perfect driving position, sit back and take the helm, throw the car into corners, and explore the limits of the car. Then the fun begins. This process takes days, not minutes. So even a 30-min test drive is not sufficient to allow the driver to "know the car", let alone trying to "know the car" by reading and comparing technical specs and magazine test results.

Last edited by CheeseyPoofs McNut; 09-21-2021 at 06:21 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Edward'TLS:
Furnace (09-18-2021), WTF.Acura (09-18-2021)
Old 09-18-2021, 04:18 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Note - posts comparing the TLX to other brands belong in the TLX vs the competition thread.

Thanks!
The following 6 users liked this post by CheeseyPoofs McNut:
BEAR-AvHistory (09-18-2021), Edward'TLS (09-18-2021), F23A4 (09-18-2021), MarcoTLX (09-18-2021), neuronbob (09-18-2021), WTF.Acura (09-18-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-18-2021, 10:32 AM
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Type S experience

I have had my Type S for a bit over a month, and very happy with it...
I am quite surprised that some people's opinion of a car, is how fast it can go 0 to 60, or 0 to 100.
Are they really planning to launch it to 100 at every traffic light,. or drag cars that they think might be faster, on the streets ?
Look at it as an overall package, and value for dollar, reliability, potential depreciation etc., and with those parameters, its a great vehicle.
Every vehicle has its pros and cons....
Does it have all the features of all its competitors, no, but they cost more....
if you are willing to pay more, you get more...
My previous vehicle was a 2018 Mercedes E class AMG.
Yes, the AMG might have been faster 100 to 180 kph, but I don't care, as I dont street race, nor plan to track it.
If your goal is a fast 0 to 100, buy a Telsa Plaid (but check its MSRP )
Did the AMG have features the Type S does not have?
Yes, but do I think that getting those features are worth twice the price of a Type S ? NO ....
(I can buy two Type S vehicles, for the price of one AMG E class)
Just my two cents.....
The following 7 users liked this post by Roger23:
a35tl (09-18-2021), Legend2TL (09-18-2021), norsairius (10-14-2021), Pens Fan (09-18-2021), SGPMan (09-19-2021), silverTL6 (09-18-2021), WTF.Acura (09-18-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-18-2021, 10:55 AM
Drifting

Received 1,252 Likes on 909 Posts
Originally Posted by Roger23
I have had my Type S for a bit over a month, and very happy with it...
I am quite surprised that some people's opinion of a car, is how fast it can go 0 to 60, or 0 to 100.
Are they really planning to launch it to 100 at every traffic light,. or drag cars that they think might be faster, on the streets ?
Look at it as an overall package, and value for dollar, reliability, potential depreciation etc., and with those parameters, its a great vehicle.
Every vehicle has its pros and cons....
Does it have all the features of all its competitors, no, but they cost more....
if you are willing to pay more, you get more...
My previous vehicle was a 2018 Mercedes E class AMG.
Yes, the AMG might have been faster 100 to 180 kph, but I don't care, as I dont street race, nor plan to track it.
If your goal is a fast 0 to 100, buy a Telsa Plaid (but check its MSRP )
Did the AMG have features the Type S does not have?
Yes, but do I think that getting those features are worth twice the price of a Type S ? NO ....
(I can buy two Type S vehicles, for the price of one AMG E class)
Just my two cents.....
Do you miss the interior room as the E class exterior is similar to the TLX but definitely not inside!
Old 09-18-2021, 12:10 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
I still love the 3G TL. In fact, here’s a secondary question: how many TL Type S owners purchased a TLX Type S? The old car was also more than the sum of its parts and was pretty awesome for a FWD car. Not ITR or CTR awesome, but awesome indeed.
I planned to replace my '07 TL Type-S 6MT with a new one, but after seeing and driving the new one I changed my mind. My '07 continues to be dependable and fun to drive (yesterday I spent 9 hours driving over 600 miles down and back up I-81). But having bought into all the hype I was looking forward after 14 years to getting the new, much improved, 2001 version.

While the new one is undoubtedly quicker, the seat of the pants doesn't feel that way. Probably because a naturally aspirated V6 coupled with a manual transmission gets off to a good start while I think the software in the new one is deliberately easing the launch to protect the running gear. Acura actually alludes to that with some comment about all the power consistent with reliability.

That alone would probably not have dissuaded me from buying the new one, but modern technology was a major reason to trade up. That was a bigger issue, since I specifically wanted the 360 camera and HUD, both available on other TLX's via the advance option.

The final deal killer for me was the lack of any color combinations that I would want to live with for the next decade or more. The online configurator actually has colors and interiors that I could like, but some colors are not available on the Type-S and all interiors are not available with all colors.

I realize many, if not most, would happily live without a HUD and can build a color combination they like. For those I wish you as much joy as I have found with my '07. Despite the reality not living up to the marketing, I probably would be happy with a 2001 absent the inability to configure a Type-S with features and color combinations I could have on a TLX.

The following users liked this post:
ESHBG (09-19-2021)
Old 09-18-2021, 02:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mike03a3
I planned to replace my '07 TL Type-S 6MT with a new one, but after seeing and driving the new one I changed my mind. My '07 continues to be dependable and fun to drive (yesterday I spent 9 hours driving over 600 miles down and back up I-81). But having bought into all the hype I was looking forward after 14 years to getting the new, much improved, 2001 version.

While the new one is undoubtedly quicker, the seat of the pants doesn't feel that way. Probably because a naturally aspirated V6 coupled with a manual transmission gets off to a good start while I think the software in the new one is deliberately easing the launch to protect the running gear. Acura actually alludes to that with some comment about all the power consistent with reliability.

That alone would probably not have dissuaded me from buying the new one, but modern technology was a major reason to trade up. That was a bigger issue, since I specifically wanted the 360 camera and HUD, both available on other TLX's via the advance option.

The final deal killer for me was the lack of any color combinations that I would want to live with for the next decade or more. The online configurator actually has colors and interiors that I could like, but some colors are not available on the Type-S and all interiors are not available with all colors.

I realize many, if not most, would happily live without a HUD and can build a color combination they like. For those I wish you as much joy as I have found with my '07. Despite the reality not living up to the marketing, I probably would be happy with a 2001 absent the inability to configure a Type-S with features and color combinations I could have on a TLX.
Required Concessions:

1. I think the software in the new one is deliberately easing the launch to protect the running gear. Acura actually alludes to that with some comment about all the power consistent with reliability.

2. I specifically wanted the 360 camera and HUD, both available on other 2021 TLX's via the Advance option.

Yeah, HUD would be nice (especially with no Digital Dash) but 360 Cameras is more of a Need than a Want (for me anyway).

3. some colors are not available on the Type-S and all interiors are not available with all colors.

Seems like too many. I think you made the right choice. Especially for a (non-leased) $50k car you are thinking of buying new and keeping for 5-10 years.

Last edited by Tesla1856; 09-18-2021 at 02:09 PM. Reason: typo
ESHBG (09-19-2021)
Old 09-18-2021, 02:54 PM
Intermediate

Type S owner

Required Concessions:

1. I think the software in the new one is deliberately easing the launch to protect the running gear. Acura actually alludes to that with some comment about all the power consistent with reliability.

2. I specifically wanted the 360 camera and HUD, both available on other 2021 TLX's via the Advance option.

Yeah, HUD would be nice (especially with no Digital Dash) but 360 Cameras is more of a Need than a Want (for me anyway).

3. some colors are not available on the Type-S and all interiors are not available with all colors.

Seems like too many. I think you made the right choice. Especially for a (non-leased) $50k car you are thinking of buying new and keeping for 5-10 years.

The rear seat leg room seems to be an issue with some people, but it can be smoke and mirrors.
For example, in my recent AMG E class, vs the Type S, at first glance, with the front seats all the way back, it would seem as if the E class has more legroom in the back.
But, the front seats in the Type S moves further back than the E class, providing much more leg room in the front than the E.
With the shorter rearward travel allowed in the E front seats, the rear seat legroom visually seems to be greater, and is, by sacrificing front legroom space.
As a second point, there seems to be many complaints about the lack of a HUD.
True, that would have been nice, but as a frame of reference, the MSRP on an E AMG in Canada is $125,000 (before options), and to get a HUD, you must additionally purchase an option package (which includes the HUD) for an extra $8,000.
Moreover, to have the top shelf sound system in the E, (Burmester) ,equivalent to the ELS sound system standard in the TLX, you have to pony up an additional $6,900 .
How much do you want to spend to get everything you think the vehicle should have ?
No vehicle is perfect, so keep everything in perspective when complaining about one vehicle versus another.
WTF.Acura (09-18-2021)
Old 09-18-2021, 04:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
The rear seat leg room seems to be an issue with some people, but it can be smoke and mirrors.
For example, in my recent AMG E class, vs the Type S, at first glance, with the front seats all the way back, it would seem as if the E class has more legroom in the back.
But, the front seats in the Type S moves further back than the E class, providing much more leg room in the front than the E.
With the shorter rearward travel allowed in the E front seats, the rear seat legroom visually seems to be greater, and is, by sacrificing front legroom space.
True, that would have been nice, but as a frame of reference, the MSRP on an E AMG in Canada is $125,000 (before options), and to get a HUD, you must additionally purchase an option package (which includes the HUD) for an extra $8,000.
Moreover, to have the top shelf sound system in the E, (Burmester) ,equivalent to the ELS sound system standard in the TLX, you have to pony up an additional $6,900 .
How much do you want to spend to get everything you think the vehicle should have ?
No vehicle is perfect, so keep everything in perspective when complaining about one vehicle versus another.
I think what people are complaining about is that the Type S doesn’t get features that a cheaper Advance (or Platinum Elite in Canada) gets.
Old 09-18-2021, 05:33 PM
Drifting

Received 1,252 Likes on 909 Posts
I'm from that very tiny minority that also came from the Germans (Benz, Audi, and BMW). My biggest issue has been stuff that should work only works some of the time (infotainment, loss of puddle lights, etc.).

Best of luck on your new car!
ESHBG (09-19-2021)
Old 09-18-2021, 06:57 PM
Intermediate

Type S

It really is a crapshoot regarding 'reliability' among diff brands.
One person can have zero problems, and another owner many problems, with the same manufacturer and model....
For example, the E Merc I had previously, was problem free, but the last one, spent a lot of time in the shop.
I do agree with you regarding Advance options not being available on the Type S.
But it seems more money was directed at the engineering side, rather than the 'options' such as HUD.
All manufacturers have a serious sensitivity to MSRP, and will do inexplicable price cutting to achieve it.
As an example, my previous E had chrome lug nuts, but on my most recent E, they switched to black nuts as they claimed it saved them $20 per vehicle......
My greatest puzzle, and head scratcher, are the decisions made by marketing depts of all manufacturers...
Example, from what I understand, the USA Type S does not have the 360 camera, but has the premium carpeted floor mats with the Type S logo embossed.
The canadian version has the 360 degree camera, but we have to pay $300 extra for those mats, as an option.
I have no idea who makes these types of decisions......
Old 09-18-2021, 07:00 PM
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts
what I hate about Acura is you can’t select your own options. At least give people to add hud or 360 camera, but for it to simply not be offered at this price point kinda sucks. I definitely wouldn’t mind paying extra for these options.
The following 2 users liked this post by djhtsx:
ESHBG (09-19-2021), neuronbob (09-19-2021)
Old 09-18-2021, 07:19 PM
Air Vice Marshal

To illustrate my comment about the lack of color choices, the ones in the TLX configurator that are available on the Type-S are in green. Only 13 out of 54 possibilities.
Half the interior colors and three of the paints aren't available at all. I'd take a Silver w/black like my current Type-S, although I'm due for a change. Red or Blue with Parchment or Gray, but none of those combos can be had even though they all are on the TLX line.

The following 3 users liked this post by mike03a3:
csmeance (11-27-2021), ESHBG (09-19-2021), robnalex (09-19-2021)
Old 09-19-2021, 11:17 AM
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 14 Posts
I have zero regrets buying the car although I do wish the car was a little quicker from factory but I understand why it’s not. It’s a great daily car and has plenty of pep when you need/want it to.
The following 3 users liked this post by Hondamobilemechanic:
a35tl (09-19-2021), F23A4 (09-20-2021), SGPMan (09-19-2021)
Old 09-20-2021, 11:46 AM
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by SGPMan
Yes, I agree.. I have never been on a car forum where people trash the car for not being what THEY wanted it to be. I had a 2004 G35 coupe and was a member of G35 Driver for years and then I joined a forum for Ford Focus ST cars and both of those forums were so much fun to check on a daily because they were all enthusiasts about the actual car and we helped each other out and share our experiences and mods with one another. I was hoping this board would give me the camaraderie I felt at the other 2 sites and I have been very disappointed. I see more posts about other car brands then actual Acura cars on this site. I'm hoping as more and more Type S owners receive their cars that this forum will change for the better.
They may not be Acura drivers now and they may have nothing good to say about the brand but they drove one 15 years ago so they feel compelled to tell everyone how great the brand used to be and how much the new ones fail to meet their expectations. Suspenders, high waisted pants and get off my lawn signs are available for sale on the home page. ;p
Old 09-20-2021, 12:19 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by flatlandtlx
They may not be Acura drivers now and they may have nothing good to say about the brand but they drove one 15 years ago so they feel compelled to tell everyone how great the brand used to be and how much the new ones fail to meet their expectations. Suspenders, high waisted pants and get off my lawn signs are available for sale on the home page. ;p
It's never been about the different opinions - or about the fact that some ex Acura owners don't like the direction the brand has taken over the past 10 years. It's about derailing almost every thread with the same, more often than not, offtopic opinions.

If someone wants to have a discussion with real owners of a specific Acura car they should be able to do so without being deluged over and over again with the same completely offtopic and unsolicited opinions.

The following 9 users liked this post by CheeseyPoofs McNut:
a35tl (09-20-2021), csmeance (11-27-2021), Edward'TLS (09-20-2021), F23A4 (09-20-2021), MarcoTLX (09-20-2021), Matthew937 (09-20-2021), SGPMan (10-13-2021), WTF.Acura (09-20-2021), wyliec2 (02-26-2022) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-20-2021, 12:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
If someone wants to have a discussion with real owners of a specific Acura car they should be able to do so without being deluged over and over again with the same completely offtopic and unsolicited opinions.
Yeah, that would be fair if it was they way it was actually done. Thing is many TLX TLX-S owners can't seem to help themselves from bringing other brands into their posts. Maybe some don't see it but as soon as a TLX owner brings in brand X how is it off topic for someone the say something about brand X?
pyrodan007 (09-20-2021)
Old 09-20-2021, 03:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 26 Posts
I hope that board actually does go that way. I'm going to say that my experience has been to see TLX owners excited about their cars and fanboys of other brands expending energy denigrating the TLX. When asked why they are even posting on this board if they hate the TLX so much, it's the same, "Hey, I started posting here when I drove an Acura 15 years ago and my sister's uncle's cousin's nephew's wife still has one and I still have friends here so I'm going to bag on the car if I want" type of response. And it is a free country.

I'm not the one that mentioned the constant negativity on here so whether you see it or not, there is a belligerent streak on this board towards the TLX and I've never seen a board where opposing car brands get so much support.
The following 3 users liked this post by flatlandtlx:
MarcoTLX (09-20-2021), SGPMan (10-13-2021), WTF.Acura (09-20-2021)
Old 09-20-2021, 04:39 PM
6G TLX-S

Or let me do it myself !

Well, don't assume all of us don't "know the car" just because we don't currently own one.
Tip of the day : One really need to drive the TLX-S around for a couple days to realize the car is so much fun to drive.

First, personalize the complete suite of vehicle dynamic settings, then get familiar with all the controls and buttons. Make yourself at home with the perfect driving position, sit back and take the helm, throw the car into corners, and explore the limits of the car. Then the fun begins. This process takes days, not minutes. So even a 30-min test drive is not sufficient to allow the driver to "know the car", let alone trying to "know the car" by reading and comparing technical specs and magazine test results.

Now everyone is happy !
Old 09-20-2021, 06:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
It's never been about the different opinions - or about the fact that some ex Acura owners don't like the direction the brand has taken over the past 10 years. It's about derailing almost every thread with the same, more often than not, offtopic opinions.

Agreed! And I’ve echoed this in several instances. You’ve been more than patient with this for quite some time for which I commend you.

MarcoTLX (09-20-2021)
Old 10-13-2021, 01:58 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have one pre ordered for build in Nov/Dec. It’ll be a 2022 model. I appreciated reading the positive reviews from actual owners. For those who have one. What accessories did you get with yours? I understand that they’re dealer installed and wonder if you’ve been happy with the install.
Old 10-13-2021, 02:10 PM
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Nohnv
I have one pre ordered for build in Nov/Dec. It’ll be a 2022 model. I appreciated reading the positive reviews from actual owners. For those who have one. What accessories did you get with yours? I understand that they’re dealer installed and wonder if you’ve been happy with the install.

Congrats! I have one on order too, should be here by the end of the month or early next month. I've already bought the carbon fiber trim, carbon fiber spoiler, side skirts, all season mats, trunk tray and black lug nuts. Most of the members on here installed the accessories themselves so it saves them a lot of money. I plan on doing the same. Welcome to the community!
Old 10-13-2021, 02:24 PM
8th Gear

Congrats! I have one on order too, should be here by the end of the month or early next month. I've already bought the carbon fiber trim, carbon fiber spoiler, side skirts, all season mats, trunk tray and black lug nuts. Most of the members on here installed the accessories themselves so it saves them a lot of money. I plan on doing the same. Welcome to the community!
Thanks! Almost the same as my list. It’s funny how the dealer tried to add installation fee for the all season mats. I told me sales rep I think I can handle that. Now the carbon fiber trim and approach lights are a different beast and I don’t feel comfortable doing it, plus I get their warranty on work. Just nerves about having someone pull a door panel off for the door trim when it’s fresh from factory.

Great idea to preorder all the stuff so there’s no delay when the car comes.
Old 10-13-2021, 04:06 PM
Family Hauler

Received 161 Likes on 76 Posts
There’s videos on YouTube already on how to install a lot of the accessories. If you’ve done any work in the past yourself, it should be straightforward. To the soon to be new owners, welcome to the club and as a current owner, I still look forward to driving my Type S everyday - I even make a trip to the grocery store for a single item just to get behind the wheel.
The following 4 users liked this post by caLiTLX:
harpazo (10-13-2021), MarcoTLX (10-13-2021), Pens Fan (10-14-2021), SGPMan (10-13-2021)
Old 10-13-2021, 06:46 PM
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
Thanks! Almost the same as my list. It’s funny how the dealer tried to add installation fee for the all season mats. I told me sales rep I think I can handle that. Now the carbon fiber trim and approach lights are a different beast and I don’t feel comfortable doing it, plus I get their warranty on work. Just nerves about having someone pull a door panel off for the door trim when it’s fresh from factory.

Great idea to preorder all the stuff so there’s no delay when the car comes.
What color are you ordering? I'm getting the pearl white with red interior and Y spokes wheel. It's been a LONG 3 months but I'm hoping there's no hiccups and I can get my car in a few weeks.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:38 PM
8th Gear

What color are you ordering? I'm getting the pearl white with red interior and Y spokes wheel. It's been a LONG 3 months but I'm hoping there's no hiccups and I can get my car in a few weeks.
Blue w black interior and the standard Type S wheels.
Old 10-14-2021, 03:22 PM
8th Gear

Did anybody opt for the heated steering wheel? How does it function with heat distribution?
Old 10-14-2021, 04:12 PM
Family Hauler

Received 161 Likes on 76 Posts
Is that a Canadian standard feature? I don’t think that’s an option for the US Type S models, unless you have the TLX Advance trim - someone correct me if I’m wrong here.
Old 10-14-2021, 04:18 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by caLiTLX
Is that a Canadian standard feature? I don’t think that’s an option for the US Type S models, unless you have the TLX Advance trim - someone correct me if I’m wrong here.
Not sure about Canada but it’s an option for US and dealer installed after the car is delivered.
Old 10-14-2021, 05:42 PM
Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Did anybody opt for the heated steering wheel? How does it function with heat distribution?
I tried the heated steering wheel last night for the first time as the temperature is starting to dip down where I live.

It heats up super quick and was more than warm enough after a minute or two where I could turn it off even.

Before turning it off I checked for heat distribution, and it wasn't quite as warm at the very top of the steering wheel.

Very happy with this feature and will be great during the winter.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:25 PM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by caLiTLX
"Heated steering wheel" is standard on all Canadian TLX trims except the base trim.

bilirubin (10-15-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 09:38 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by harpazo
I tried the heated steering wheel last night for the first time as the temperature is starting to dip down where I live.

It heats up super quick and was more than warm enough after a minute or two where I could turn it off even.

Before turning it off I checked for heat distribution, and it wasn't quite as warm at the very top of the steering wheel.

I figured your dealer installed it. Have you had any quality issues with them installing accessories.
Old 10-14-2021, 11:24 PM
Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I figured your dealer installed it. Have you had any quality issues with them installing accessories.
A heated steering wheel comes standard in Canada for the Type S. I haven't had the dealer install any accessories.
Old 11-27-2021, 02:49 PM
Cruisin'

Received 33 Likes on 8 Posts
No regrets from me. It is exactly what I wanted - a comfortable sport / tourer with some beans when I need them. Is it the fastest car in the world? Of course not. But I think if you feel this car is underpowered you are borderline mentally ill. It has great low end torque characteristics which greatly appeals to me, since I drive around in comfort mode most of the time (my wife keeps it in Sport!). I’m 62 years old, I am not going to explore the limits of performance of any car, I just like knowing it is there. It is one of the most honest cars I have ever driven with fine brake linearity and “reads my mind” handling and the transmission - that is the finest, quickest shifting torque converter auto transmission I have ever experienced. So I always wonder about the “oh, but the BMW M whatever is 1 second quicker to 60”. What are you planning to do, street race? Not to be holier than thou, but please don’t do that. There is always going to be something quicker no matter what you have and you could hurt some innocent person.

So no regrets here!

The following 10 users liked this post by billxlisa:
DJ Iceman (12-01-2021), DLM1213 (11-28-2021), Edward'TLS (11-27-2021), F23A4 (11-27-2021), harpazo (11-27-2021), Justy48 (11-27-2021), Legend2TL (11-28-2021), MarcoTLX (11-27-2021), NBP04TL4ME (11-28-2021), WTF.Acura (11-29-2021) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-27-2021, 04:43 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 539 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by billxlisa
No regrets from me. It is exactly what I wanted - a comfortable sport / tourer with some beans when I need them. Is it the fastest car in the world? Of course not. But I think if you feel this car is underpowered you are borderline mentally ill. It has great low end torque characteristics which greatly appeals to me, since I drive around in comfort mode most of the time (my wife keeps it in Sport!). I’m 62 years old, I am not going to explore the limits of performance of any car, I just like knowing it is there. It is one of the most honest cars I have ever driven with fine brake linearity and “reads my mind” handling and the transmission - that is the finest, quickest shifting torque converter auto transmission I have ever experienced. So I always wonder about the “oh, but the BMW M whatever is 1 second quicker to 60”. What are you planning to do, street race? Not to be holier than thou, but please don’t do that. There is always going to be something quicker no matter what you have and you could hurt some innocent person.

So no regrets here!
I haven’t really tried Comfort mode yet but I do tend to stay in Normal most days. If I’m on an open highway I’ll switch to Sport/Sport+ and have a little bit of fun.

I am really enjoying this car for everything that it is. I went on hoping for a car that performed better than my 2019 ASPEC and I wasn’t disappointed. I was quite happy with the 2019 to be honest but with my lease up in March 2022 it made sense to end it early and get the Type S. Especially considering that with the car market the way it is I made $5000 on a trade in for that car.
Old 11-27-2021, 06:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by harpazo

I think the heated steering wheel also starts up automatically when the car starter is used. I've used auto-start a couple times in sub zero weather and the wheel is toasty warm when I get in.
Old 11-27-2021, 07:36 PM
Air Vice Marshal

. . . . .So I always wonder about the “oh, but the BMW M whatever is 1 second quicker to 60”. What are you planning to do, street race? Not to be holier than thou, but please don’t do that. There is always going to be something quicker no matter what you have and you could hurt some innocent person.

So no regrets here!
Not really interested in 0-60, but 60 to 90 damn sure matters. I regularly drive most of the length of I-81 in Virginia, which had exceptionally heavy truck traffic. There are frequently people camped in the left lane, often at less than the speed limit, so you have no choice but the pass on the right.
Every round trip I guarantee there will be one or two A-Holes who will immediately speed up when they realize you are about to go around them. That's when I'm going to enjoy the HP of my new car.
The following 6 users liked this post by mike03a3:
ELIN (11-27-2021), ESHBG (11-28-2021), KrylonBlue (11-27-2021), leomio2.0 (11-27-2021), MarcoTLX (11-28-2021), pyrodan007 (11-28-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-27-2021, 08:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Not really interested in 0-60, but 60 to 90 damn sure matters. I regularly drive most of the length of I-81 in Virginia, which had exceptionally heavy truck traffic. There are frequently people camped in the left lane, often at less than the speed limit, so you have no choice but the pass on the right.
Every round trip I guarantee there will be one or two A-Holes who will immediately speed up when they realize you are about to go around them. That's when I'm going to enjoy the HP of my new car.
Agree when a regular car revs at a light I just let them go do their thing, no point in making a point. When you can exceed the local speed limits in less than 2 seconds you are just ticket bait. Might goose the throttle & make some engine noise but thats about it. Most interesting is the collection of fart can cars that want to run the Cobra.

We make a lot of runs to the beach about 200 miles each way. Traffic moves quickly about 80MPH on average. Same issue when some one goes into lane monitor roll & camps out in the mid 70's you need a quick car to get around the blockage safely when its your turn & get back on cruise control. Its also nice to know I am knocking down 31+MPG while making the run at an average of 80MHP.

General comment not directed at anyone. Last thing I don't believe in packing in in based on age. Most non pros cannot reach the outer edged of their cars performance since 1 they don't know where it is 2 most performance cars are better than their drivers.

You need to maintain a realistic assessment of your capabilities & do motorsports events till your skills start to degrade. Times in events & mistakes made will leave no doubt when its time to stop. That might be at more or less of an age than people might think is the right number.

Fun reaction test. Get a stiff bill with a presidents picture in the middle. Have someone hold the top edge so the bill hangs vertically. Hold you thumb & first finger on either side of the bill at the very bottom edge. Helper drops the bill without you knowing when. Snap your fingers closed to stop the fall. If you catch it at or before the portrait your reaction time is pretty good.

Nice thing about the BMW PCD program is the ability to drive a car exactly like the one you just bought at the limit. Some propel just do fast Sunday rides at it. I try to test for the edges of the car as far as they will let me. Have on occasion made off course excursions into the dirt or through the cones but I did get in each case a reasonable feel for the car as it washes out.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 11-27-2021 at 08:44 PM.
Old 11-27-2021, 09:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
I've done about a dozen trips down the East Coast to various locales which took me down I-95 ... every single damn time I hit a brick wall of incompetent AF drivers in VA. I've spoken to others and everyone says the same thing ... VA drivers are damn near brain-dead. One excuse I've heard is that VA State Troopers are ruthless and would write tickets to their grandma's, but that doesn't explain the non-existent amount of lane discipline/courtesy.
KrylonBlue (11-27-2021)
Old 11-27-2021, 09:33 PM
Suzuka Master

So no regrets here!
Funny thought you were virtue signaling there. No most of us are not looking to street race. What you are looking at is a different demographic that like to participate in motor sports that most non car people are not even aware of.

It not just BMW M cars its Porsche, Corvette, Ferrari, Lamborghini, 1/2 & full milers etc. People are not aware that the exotic manufactures also build club series cars for their customers that want to compete at a non pro level. Corvette will be offering a turn key version of their factory C8.R race cars for the first time with the new Z06 around 2023. About $500,000 a copy. Even Factory Five Racing that developed the Cobra I built offer a series race car version of it.

There are very strong national clubs with regional affiliates of all the major performance car manufactures that put on events for the members from national race series to HPDS. My club BMWCCA runs a number of events at Virginia International Raceway. Two charity lap events a year open & close the VIR season for non competitors. Also generally 2 or so HPDS that sellout at 250 drivers, a number of SCCA track, Solo & AutoX events along with the normal track days. Acura tends to show its cars on a track with pro test drivers & GCI tire smoke, the rest of the major sports sedan manufactures support their customers with race parts for the cars their customers drive on the track.

As I said people are not aware of what is available if you want to be involved in motor sports other than Drag Racing & NASCAR at a club level. Great starter place is the Miata Club Series about the largest race series in the country due to cost.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 11-27-2021 at 09:36 PM.
leomio2.0 (11-28-2021)
Old 11-27-2021, 09:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by leomio2.0
I've done about a dozen trips down the East Coast to various locales which took me down I-95 ... every single damn time I hit a brick wall of incompetent AF drivers in VA. I've spoken to others and everyone says the same thing ... VA drivers are damn near brain-dead. One excuse I've heard is that VA State Troopers are ruthless and would write tickets to their grandma's, but that doesn't explain the non-existent amount of lane discipline/courtesy.
Couple days in the UK or EU would fix the lane discipline/courtesy thing. Cops would probably take their cars away from them. Found 85 in VA not too bad as far as left lane blocks from the NC border up to Petersburgh then it turns into 95 hell.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 11-27-2021 at 09:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Any regrets from TLX Type S owners?