Car does not start up sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 12:43 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Car does not start up sometimes

Hey everyone. I have a problem that happens randomly. In the pass few days when I insert the key into the ignition and turn it to start the engine, nothing happens. (No clicking. dashboard lights come on and Navigation comes on when key is in the ACC position, but when I turn the key to start the car all of the lights turn off) I would have to try a few times before the engine actually starts. I know the car has an Immobilizer System and the key contains electronic circuits. I`m not sure if the circuits on the key itself are bad or if there is a problem with the Immobilizer System in the car. Please help! Your input will be much appreciated! Thank you!
Old 07-20-2012, 01:06 PM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
battery
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (07-20-2012)
Old 07-20-2012, 01:09 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
^A-OC is likely right.

Please check the connections to the battery.
sometimes they get loose and or corroded.
nighthawk203 (07-25-2012)
Old 07-20-2012, 01:09 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Acura-OC
battery
The battery should be good. I just purchased the car about a month ago, but I`ll go ahead and double check the battery. Thanks.

Any other ideas guys?
Old 07-20-2012, 01:11 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by justnspace
^A-OC is likely right.

Ok. I will check the battery soon. Thank you very much.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:14 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
I believe if there was a problem with the immobilizer, a KEY should light up on the dash.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:43 PM
Intermediate

I believe if there was a problem with the immobilizer, a KEY should light up on the dash.
Oh ok. That`s what I read in the owners manual. If the KEY light stays lit then there is a problem, but if it goes off after a few seconds its fine. My light goes off after a few seconds so I guess its fine. Thanks.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:16 AM
Intermediate

Smile

^A-OC is likely right.

So yesterday I disconnected the battery and cleaned the posts and the connections with a steel wool pad and then tighten everything back up so we`ll see if it happens again. Thank you guys. I will keep you posted if anything happens.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:59 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I had a problem that was similar to yours not too long ago. I thought it was the battery or the alternator, yet every time I took it somewhere, I couldn't recreate the issue. It started happening more and more frequently, and then eventually just STOPPED. I kept trying and trying to start it, with no luck. Eventually, I had it towed to a shop, who told me I had killed the starter solenoid by repeatedly trying to start it while it was dead. They replaced the starter and everything worked just fine again. Until today.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:14 AM
jk4
4th Gear

http://www.aboutacura.com/2010/01/ts...fl-doesnt.html

Our dealer was not helpful (even though there was a service bulletin out). We found from Acurazine our '07 TL had a parasitic battery drain caused by a defective hands free link (HFL). Ours was in the overhead console. Turned car off a night and next morning felt the console - still hot. Evidence that HFL had not turned off. It was only then they replaced it. Don't know location in your car, but get location from dealer if they won't check it for you. Then disconnect it (there is a quick disconnect), and leave the car alone for the same number of days it previously took to drain the battery. If it won't start, this is not the problem. If it does, it "might" be the problem.

Beware: the idea that a car is "heavy on tech" as an excuse for the battery draining is crap. That is EXACTLY what they told us. I asked: "What if I park at the airport and return 2 days later?" Their answer was in such situations you have to EXPECT the battery will be drained on "these new cars". Bull----

Buying a new $120 battery from Sears and having it discharge in a couple of days led me to a search where I found Acurazine, an invaluable resource. Good luck.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:10 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I would also recommend checking the ground from the transmission. The starter is grounded through the transmission that can sometimes get corroded.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:45 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by laziebun
I would also recommend checking the ground from the transmission. The starter is grounded through the transmission that can sometimes get corroded.
Well a few days ago I disconnected the battery and cleaned the posts and the connections with a steel wool pad and then tighten everything back up so we`ll see if it happens again. I will also go ahead and check the ground from the starter to the transmission that your talking about to see if it is corroded. Thank you for your input "laziebun".
Old 07-26-2012, 12:58 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its the Starter!

Originally Posted by nighthawk203
Hey everyone. I have a problem that happens randomly. In the pass few days when I insert the key into the ignition and turn it to start the engine, nothing happens. (No clicking. dashboard lights come on and Navigation comes on when key is in the ACC position, but when I turn the key to start the car all of the lights turn off) I would have to try a few times before the engine actually starts. I know the car has an Immobilizer System and the key contains electronic circuits. I`m not sure if the circuits on the key itself are bad or if there is a problem with the Immobilizer System in the car. Please help! Your input will be much appreciated! Thank you!

I was in the exact boat. At first for me, I was thinking it was a parasitic drain or the battery......turned out, it was the STARTER. The exact symptoms you describe. Some days it would start normal and some days it took several tries. Then you will go to a gas station and be praying that the car starts again. I'm not mechanically inclined but I went to the wreckers and got a starter for $25......it was rusted to crap but I installed it......one year later and the car is running great.
I'm betting you its the starter! The are threads here to help with the install.
nighthawk203 (08-06-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 08:11 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by COLINGER
I was in the exact boat. At first for me, I was thinking it was a parasitic drain or the battery......turned out, it was the STARTER. The exact symptoms you describe. Some days it would start normal and some days it took several tries. Then you will go to a gas station and be praying that the car starts again. I'm not mechanically inclined but I went to the wreckers and got a starter for $25......it was rusted to crap but I installed it......one year later and the car is running great.
I'm betting you its the starter! The are threads here to help with the install.
So 2 days ago this started to happen again so my mechanic said to turn the key to the start position and tap the starter with a hammer and if it starts then I`ll need to replace the starter. So I`ll keep you guys posted. Thanks for your input "COLINGER"
Old 08-28-2012, 03:27 PM
Intermediate

I am starting to have this problem again with the car not starting. I installed 2 additional grounding wires about 2 weeks ago. (Starter to Transmission and Engine block to Chassis.) Anyway I notice when I put the car in Neutral, it starts up. I don`t know if this is just a coincidence? I know there may be some kind of safety lock switch between the the transmission and ignition? Please help if you have any information. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts
I may have had the same problem, is it doing this?

If so, it was my starter motor
Old 08-29-2012, 08:28 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VanyDotK
I may have had the same problem, is it doing this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8m5ob7GZOQ

If so, it was my starter motor
Yes. That`s exactly what it is doing. I turn the key and nothing happens except the dashboard lights come on. But when I turn it to the start position all the lights go out. No clicking from the starter. I`m thinking it my be the starter or battery? ...
Old 08-29-2012, 11:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by nighthawk203
Yes. That`s exactly what it is doing. I turn the key and nothing happens except the dashboard lights come on. But when I turn it to the start position all the lights go out. No clicking from the starter. I`m thinking it my be the starter or battery? ...
For me it was the starter.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:22 AM
Advanced

nighthawk203, did you ever figure out what it was? I'm having a similar problem but not sure if it's the same problem. Two days in a row I got in my car, everything is fine, locks work, dome lights, headlights, all on, I turn the key to ACC, everything's still fine, but as soon as I turn it further everything goes blank, dash, dome, headlights, even the door chime doesn't work. I don't know if it's coincidence but I was able to reproduce this twice so far. I use the lock-unlock button on the door to lock and unlock the car, then everything is back to normal, dome lights, dash, etc. If I then turn the key to ACC, wait until the navigation screen comes on, then turn the key further, the car starts without any issues or hesitation.
So, could it be the same problem, i.e. the starter?
Old 04-18-2016, 09:32 AM
Advanced

Well, it can't be the starter because today the power cut out while I was driving, which is really scary. So no one knows what it could be? I checked the battery connections and they're tight.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:16 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by kape
So no one knows what it could be? I checked the battery connections and they're tight.
Check the ignition switch, which has caused similar problems for a couple of other members when their TL ignition switches went bad.

Also, check for error codes with the scanner/OBDII reader and report back to this thread with any error codes you find.