Formula One: 2019 Season News and Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 10:29 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,034 Likes on 2,509 Posts
for Hubert. I watched the replay and it was a very violent crash.

+1 to leClerc, especially at the end keeping Hamilton behind
Ferrari's advantage was not as much considering how they ran strategy to back up the MB with Vettel
+1 to Albon, drove a smart race from last
Haas need to figure out why their race pace keeps falling off mid-race

Old 09-03-2019, 09:00 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,667 Likes on 2,498 Posts
What a tragic weekend.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:51 AM

Received 5,302 Likes on 3,636 Posts
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/h...osity/4523658/

Haas Formula 1 team boss Gunther Steiner would have no issues with potentially partnering Nico Hulkenberg with Kevin Magnussen next season, despite a history of animosity between the pair.

Hulkenberg is favourite to replace Romain Grosjean alongside Magnussen at Haas in 2020, should the US-owned team decide to make a change

Following an incident in the 2017 Hungarian GP, Magnussen famously told Hulkenberg to"suck my balls"after they met in the TV pen after the race.

Hulkenberg and Magnussen's rivalry also formed a key storyline in the Netflix series Drive to Survive, which covered the 2018 season, but Steiner says he's not worried about their history

"We are running into each other even without history!" he said. "We would manage. I don't think about that, it's not about [them], it's about the team. We are all grown-ups, this is a business.

"I'm sure you have colleagues you don't like to work with. It's a business, I see it like this. You need to be practical with this stuff. But that is not a thing which would influence what we are doing. That is their problem, not ours, should it happen."

Hulkenberg indicated that he'd be happy to partner Magnussen, suggesting that teammates don't necessarily have to be friends.

"I'd love to see that," the German said with a smile. "Honestly, the teammate is the teammate. You have to accept them. With some you get on, but you don't have to get on. Maybe it's better, I don't know. I don't think that would be a deal-breaker for me."

Magnussen also downplayed the rivalry, stressing that there had only been one on-track clash.

"It was dramatised massively, getting really tired of this subject," he said. "Between me and Nico there's really been only once incident in Hungary two years ago. It's incredible we are still talking about it.

"I mean, there's not many drivers who are friends off the track. We say 'hi' to each other when we see each other on the drivers' parade, but there's no issue between us."

Magnussen said he wanted to have a competitive teammate, be it current incumbent Grosjean or someone else.

"Obviously there's no decision on that side so far," said the Dane. "But I'm happy either way, I'm happy with the teammate right now, and I'd be happy with anyone really.

"I think when you're in a midfield team you need a strong teammate, someone who is regarded strongly, rated highly, because that's the only way you can show yourself.

"And if you're not winning races, winning championships, you need someone strong alongside you to show what you can do otherwise it's hard to show what you can do without a strong benchmark next to you. But I feel like I have that now already. So I'm not complaining."

Old 09-03-2019, 09:54 AM

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/m...-card/4529056/

FIA Formula 1 race director Michael Masi says the return of a black and white flag warning for unsportsmanlike conduct by drivers should be considered as motor racing’s equivalent of football’s yellow card.

The black and white flag is available for use at all levels of motorsport, and the FIA International Sporting Code specifies that it “should be shown once only and is a warning to the driver concerned that he has been reported for unsportsmanlike behaviour.

However, prior to last weekend’s Belgian GP the signal was last used in F1 at the 2010 Malaysian GP when Lewis Hamilton was warned for weaving in front of Vitaly Petrov.

Subsequently it fell out of favour, and former race director Charlie Whiting generally preferred to use radio messages to teams to convey warnings that an offence had been spotted by race control

However, Masi sees the flag as a useful tool, and specifically as a transparent public warning that will be seen by all.

After some discussions with teams it was formally reintroduced at Spa. Drivers were told that it would be used if the timing loop in the run-off at Turn 4 was triggered by them running wide three times, while also being available for conduct such as moving under braking.

In fact, drivers respected the run-off at Turn 4 throughout the weekend, and it was never deployed for that reason.

However the flag – actually displayed on a light panel at the start/finish line – was used to warn Pierre Gasly for moving in the braking area during the race.

“The black and white flag, bad sportsmanship flag, is something that hasn’t been used prior to this since about 2010 apparently,” said Masi when asked by Motorsport.com. “But one of the discussions that has been ongoing with the sporting directors is using it.

“So one of the reasons I haven’t used it to date is trying to find out from as many of them and others as to why it stopped from being used, and no one could come up with a valid reason.

“It is one of the flags that exists in the code, and every single sporting director and every single driver is supportive of the use of it. It is effectively the motorsport version of the yellow card.”

Masi made it clear to the drivers at Spa that a repeated offence after a warning flag would go to the stewards, potentially triggering a penalty.

“Correct, and that was highlighted at the drivers’ meeting on Friday night, that it is your yellow card. If we use the example of this weekend, if a black and white had been issued for exceeding track limits at Turn 4, [due to] setting the loop off three times, and then you got another one for another incident, you wouldn’t get a second black and white, you would be referred to the stewards as a breach.”

The Turn 4 run-off at Spa was a special case, in terms of the high speeds at that point and the potential for an advantage to be gained down the following straight.

Masi says the flag will remain in use for track limits at some venues, as well for as other offences, such as that committed by Gasly.

“Not only was it in the [race director’s] notes to use for the track limits side of it at Turn 4 – and I think we need to put more electronic loops in because it seems to have a force field for them not to go near it – but it can be used for a range of matters, be it squeezing drivers, moving under brakes, all of those types of things that we see it as I said effectively, motorsport’s version of a yellow card, if you had to put it in football terms.”

Red Bull Racing driver Alex Albon welcomed the change of approach.

“I don’t mind it too much, I think it’s a lot better to do that than give penalties,” said the Thai driver. “Let’s say even like the Vettel/Hamilton case in Canada it would have been resolved a lot better if it was just a warning first.

“I think it’s a good idea. We used it a lot in karting and it worked well, so I don’t see why it wouldn’t work in F1.”

Old 09-03-2019, 10:33 AM

Random, but spotted this on the drive in to work the other day. There's a HAAS shop not too far from my house.
The following users liked this post:
Chief F1 Fan (09-05-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 12:12 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,068 Likes on 767 Posts
What's in their factory outlet?
Old 09-03-2019, 12:49 PM

No idea.
Google shows a different shop there now. CNC & Lathe equipment.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:45 PM

Italian Grand Prix finally secures F1 future with new Monza deal

By Pablo Elizalde @EliGP
Published on Wednesday September 4th 2019

The Italian Grand Prix has finally secured a new contract to remain on the Formula 1 calendar for five more years.

F1 unveiled a record 22-race calendar for 2020 last week, saying the contract with Monza - the only grand prix on the provisional calendar which was yet to conclude a new deal - was "being finalised".

On Wednesday and ahead of this year's race at Monza, F1 chiefs announced the Italian venue will host the grand prix until at least 2024.

The news was revealed during an event celebrating 90 years of Scuderia Ferrari and attended by F1 CEO Chasey Carey and FIA president Jeat Todt.

The 2020 Italian GP will take place on September 6.

Angelo Sticchi Damiani, President of the Automobile Club d'Italia, said that finally securing the race's future felt like a big victory.

"It is just like winning a Formula 1 grand prix, a very hard and important one, fought to the finish line - which counts as not one but five titles," he said.

"It was a challenging journey to get to this outcome and is one of those race victories that makes us forget every risk, every effort, and leaves inside a great joy and an uncontrollable desire to celebrate."

At the same time as Monza's new F1 deal was announced, the DTM revealed it would race at Monza for the first time in 2020.

While the series' announcement did not mention Misano, it is expected Monza will replace it as the Italian round - despite it being believed Misano had a contract for 2020 with clauses attached.

The DTM switched Misano from a night race to a traditional format for 2019 and had MotoGP rider Andrea Dovizioso race for Audi after Alex Zanardi's cameo for BMW in '18.

But it failed to generate better attendance or media interest and it put the round in doubt, further compounded by the success of fellow 2018 addition Brands Hatch this year.
Autosport previously reported Monza was an alternative candidate for 2020 and it will now become the fourth Italian venue in the series' history after Mugello, Adria and Misano, with Italy seen as an important market by DTM boss Gerhard Berger.

"For motorsport fans all over the world, Monza is legendary," said Berger.

"The characteristics of the circuit promise wheel-to-wheel duels at high speeds as well as good opportunities for overtaking."

The full 2020 DTM calendar, including Monza's actual date, will be announced in October at the Hockenheim season finale.

Glad they are locking up some of these historic tracks finally. That being said not sure the racing with the newer spec cars is all that great at Monza.
00TL-P3.2 (09-04-2019)
Old 09-04-2019, 04:10 PM

Agreed, glad to see the 'historic' circuits locked in.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:55 PM
AZ Community Team

Only Vettel knows the situation with Leclerc - Prost

https://sports.yahoo.com/only-vettel...002100493.html

Pretty frank and sincere video interview with Prost on LeClerc/Vettel situation.

Speaking of LeClerc, pretty cute g/f even though he has about as much fashion sense as me

F23A4 (09-08-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 09:49 AM
AZ Community Team

Maldonado claims he was "very close" to a Ferrari F1 deal for 2014

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/maldona...094022200.html

I needed a good laugh today
Chief F1 Fan (09-06-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 12:14 PM

Old 09-06-2019, 07:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,889 Likes on 3,498 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Yeah, right "Frankenstein" like you had a shot. The ONLY reason he had a ride was Venezuelan oil cash.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:22 AM
Race Director

Received 3,265 Likes on 2,027 Posts
Kerbs at Parabolica removed after this F3 incident ....

Old 09-07-2019, 11:06 AM
AZ Community Team

^ that was so close to be as tragic as Belgium's F2 race.
why are there curbs on the outside curve of the Parabolica?

Last edited by Legend2TL; 09-07-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:26 PM
Race Director

Peroni's injuries from the F3 wreck ....

https://www.racefans.net/2019/09/07/...rial-f3-crash/
Old 09-09-2019, 10:53 AM

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/v...erous/4535717/

Sebastian Vettel has been handed three Formula 1 licence penalty points for his "dangerous" incident in the Italian Grand Prix, leaving him one serious incident from a ban.

Vettel spun at the Ascari chicane early in Ferrari's home race, then rejoined as the chasing pack was filtering through the fast right-hand middle part of the corner

He was fortunate to avoid heavy contact but he did collide with seventh-placed Lance Stroll and sent him into a spin.

In their official report, it was noted that "the stewards considered this to be a dangerous incident"

Vettel was therefore handed a 10-second stop-go penalty for rejoining the track in an unsafe manner, and had three penalty points added to his licence, taking his tally to nine points in a 12-month period.

Three points is the maximum penalty points the stewards can apply to a driver's licence and it is reserved the most serious driving offences.

If a driver accumulate 12 penalty points in a 12-month period, they receive an automatic one-race ban.

Vettel must complete the next three F1 races without accumulating three points or more as he will not lose any of his current penalty points until after the Japanese Grand Prix.

"I lost the rear, couldn't catch it," said Vettel of his mistake to Sky. "As simple as that. I'm obviously not happy and after that the race was obviously gone.

"I struggled a couple of times to get the car going and struggled to get in the right direction so I couldn't see him."

Stroll received a drive-through penalty and two penalty points in his licence for a similar albeit not as severe piece of unsafe rejoining.

After his spin, he was getting going again on the exit of Ascari as Pierre Gasly rounded the corner.

The stewards noted that Stroll "left the track due to the collision" with Vettel but still felt he was responsible for rejoining unsafely and forcing Gasly off the track.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:53 AM

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/s...mands/4534585/

The Italian Grand Prix stewards have reprimanded three drivers for their role in the farcical end to Monza qualifying and urged the FIA to “expedite a solution” for such situations.

Nico Hulkenberg, Carlos Sainz and Lance Stroll have all been handed reprimands for driving unnecessarily slowly ahead of the final runs in qualifying

A lengthy investigation was launched after the nine remaining cars in Q3 slowed right down to avoid missing out on a tow and those actions resulted in eight drivers failing to start their flying laps before the session ended.

After speaking with Hulkenberg, Sainz and Stroll, the stewards noted in three identical reports that all three drivers had sought to “get a tow” for their final flying laps and therefore conceded to driving “unnecessarily slowly”

All three countered that other drivers were driving slowly as well.

The stewards’ verdict, however, was that Hulkenberg, Sainz and Stroll “played a significant role in the banking up of cars at a critical stage” of qualifying.

As a result, the stewards handed a first reprimand of the season to all three drivers, but their reports also included a line stating that they “strongly recommend that the FIA expedite a solution to this type of situation”.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:54 AM

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/h...rship/4536916/

The title sponsorship agreement between the Haas Formula 1 team and Rich Energy has been terminated with immediate effect, with the team citing "a corporate restructuring process" at Rich as the impetus.

While the Rich Energy deal was the inspiration behind Haas' current black-and-gold livery, the latest decision will not impact the primary colour scheme of the VF-19, which now simply run without the branding of its now-former title sponsor

The new energy drink company had come on board with Haas before the start of the year, having previously explored opportunities with other teams like Williams, Force India and McLaren.

But the nascent partnership between Rich and Haas was placed in doubt as early as July, when Rich Energy's then-CEO William Storey announced he had "terminated" the deal with the American F1 team due to "poor performance"

The deal was seemingly preserved by shareholders and Rich Energy's branding has remained on the VF-19 in the subsequent races, including last weekend's Italian Grand Prix.

But with team boss Gunther Steiner confirming in late August that Rich would take a final decision on the contract before the upcoming Singapore Grand Prix, a statement from the American outfit has now confirmed an "amicable" end to the partnership.

"Haas F1 team and Rich Energy have amicably agreed to end their partnership together in the FIA Formula One World Championship with immediate effect," the statement read.

"While enjoying substantial brand recognition and significant exposure through its title partnership of Haas F1 Team in 2019, a corporate restructuring process at Rich Energy will see the need for a revised global strategy.

"Subsequently, Haas F1 Team and Rich Energy concluded a termination of the existing partnership was the best way forward for both parties.

"Haas F1 Team would like to express its thanks and best wishes to the stakeholders at Rich Energy."

Old 09-09-2019, 01:45 PM
~HondaF1~

Received 107 Likes on 86 Posts
'bout time really
Old 09-09-2019, 03:54 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

I'll miss the drama.

Typically these cases result in the teams getting unpaid, but apparently, Haas was smart and they were paid.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:18 AM

Qualifying was such a joke this weekend. Was a good battle between Hamilton and LeClerc.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:54 AM
AZ Community Team

2019 Monza

Pretty cool that Jody Scheckter drove his 1979 championship winning Ferrari 312T4 which he won Monza at 40 years ago at Monza Sunday just when Charles won the race

Old 09-10-2019, 08:10 AM
AZ Community Team

Williams F1 team records financial loss for start of 2019

Williams F1 team records financial loss for start of 2019
https://www.crash.net/f1/news/928880...oss-start-2019
Old 09-10-2019, 09:25 AM

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/h...edent/4537677/

Lewis Hamilton will change the way he races and interprets what is acceptable in battle as long as Formula 1's rulemakers stand by new precedents being set.

Hamilton was unable to pass Charles Leclerc in the Italian Grand Prix, during which he complained about not being left a car's width while battling with the Ferrari driver and suggested his rival was being "dangerous" after another move

Drivers have received more leniency since the Austrian Grand Prix, a race in which Leclerc lost victory after being bumped wide by Max Verstappen, as officials seek to allow harder racing to take place without penalties.

Leclerc said he learned from that experience and knew he could be more aggressive while battling Hamilton as a result, whereas last Sunday's battle was Hamilton's time in a wheel-to-wheel fight since officiating became less strict.

Hamilton suggested in the post-race press conference at Monza that the stewards were not being consistent, but when pushed later on what his issue was by Motorsport.com he clarified he wanted to know exactly what was acceptable.

"I don't think there's an issue, if that's how we're able to race then I'll race like it," he said. "As long as we know you're allowed to not leave a car's width, and you don't have to do that now.

"As long as you're not contradicting us, as long as we've got a clear message, that we're allowed to run wide if someone's there and you only get a warning flag.

"Then you only need that once to potentially keep the guy behind you. As long as it's clear, and that's the way going forwards, then it's fine.

"It's just so I know how to go into battle, same for all the drivers."

The FIA has worked with teams to review various incidents from this season and earlier, to establish how it can enforce the rules without being draconian.

It is hoped this will allow more so-called racing incidents to pass without a penalty having to be applied, and one example of this being enforced is the revival of the black/white warning flag.

Leclerc received one of these for moving under braking at the Roggia chicane, where Hamilton ended up being forced onto the run-off.

Hamilton stressed there was "absolutely zero issue" with Leclerc and all he would be interested in should the two drivers speak about their Monza fight would be to establish
Leclerc is "cool" if the positions end up reversed and Hamilton drives in that manner.

"If that's cool, that's how we race," he said. "You're supposed to leave a gap, and now I don't know if that's the case because that's unsure with the rules.

"It's good we're able to race hard. It was a tough battle and that's good."

Old 09-10-2019, 10:37 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

I agree with Hamilton for once. The rules are enforced inconsistently.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:39 AM

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/45353...-at-monza.html

FIA race director Michael Masi has said the stewards will look into making the run-off at Monza's famous Parabolica corner gravel, as it used to be previously, with Sebastian Vettel's qualifying controversy sparking the discussion.

The Ferrari driver looked to be completely off-track when completing his flying lap in Q3 of qualifying from some angles and within the track limits from other angles. The time wasn't deleted in the end, with the German starting from P4 on Sunday.

Ahead of the race weekend at Monza, the FIA had already stated that exceeding track limits at Parabolica would result in both the current and the following lap being invalidated. It was to prevent drivers from driving a wider line onto the main straight and giving them a better line.

Currently, the run-off is surrounded by asphalt run-off. Replacing this with gravel would make going off-track more punishing, Masi knows.

“We’ve just got to look at it all. Is it bringing gravel back, is it having a double kerb and gravel, is it grass, all of the various solutions that we’ve got available and it’s having a look at all of it,” the Australian told RaceFans.net when asked about potentially fitting a gravel run-off.

“It’s not as simple as just saying ‘yep, bang, let’s fix that’. There’s a whole lot of various inputs and factors that need to be looked at.”

Masi added that if it were up to him, he'd try to make exceeding track limits automated with an electric system that could detect when someone takes a line that's too wide.

“Probably for next year if there are changes made we’ll look at it with our safety department and the circuit inspectors, do the various simulations and have a discussion with the circuit as well.

“For me that’s a sort of prime area where you possibly put timing loops similar to what we have at Spa. That way it’s just automatic.”

“Anything that can be automated makes all of our lives far easier.”
Old 09-11-2019, 09:41 AM

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...uture-f1-races

Imola and Mugello are weighing up potential bids to host Formula 1 in the future, following Monza's new multi-year deal that secured the future of the Italian Grand Prix.

Former San Marino GP host Imola has the FIA Grade 1 status it needs to host F1 again after undergoing development work - which included cutting the final chicane - since holding the last of its 26 F1 races in 2006.

MotoGP venue Mugello has never held an F1 race but testing has taken place there, most recently in 2012.

F1 recently concluded a new five-year deal to keep the Italian GP at Monza and the new agreement will include the circuit's centenary year in 2022, and Imola and Mugello have now expressed interest in hosting an F1 race of their own.

F1 is open to expanding its calendar and is not short of candidates, so an extra Italian race could in theory feature as an additional event, as was the case when the San Marino GP existed.

Imola bosses have tasked track design company Dromo with revamping its paddock hospitality offerings and a statement from the track said it is "ready to accept the challenge" of trying to bring F1 back to the circuit.

"The great work done by ACI president Angelo Sticchi Damiani in maintaining Formula 1 in Italy could reopen the possibility, even at our historic racetrack, to see the red cars [Ferrari] and the whole circus return," said circuit president Uberto Selvatico Estense.

"To achieve such a result it is essential to have the full support of regional and metropolitan institutions, as is happening for Monza and Mugello."

Imola's statement referenced Mugello's alleged "candidacy" for an F1 race in the future, although this is not thought to be of interest to the Tuscany track in the short-term.

Earlier on Tuesday, Mugello announced the result of an economic impact study that claimed activity at the track contributes almost €130million to the local and regional economy.

The study relates to 2017, and claims the circuit's events created more than 1,000 jobs across Mugello, its wider metropolitan area and the Tuscany region.

That report made no mention of F1, but according to Italian news agency Ansa, Mugello circuit director Paolo Poli has said that the championship is a potential option in the long-term.

"The first objective will be to renew the agreement with the MotoGP," said Poli.

"Then in five years we will also think about applying to bring Formula 1 to Tuscany.

"Partnerships will be necessary at national level, as Monza did by signing the agreement with F1 for the next few years.

"It should be remembered that unlike other Italian circuits, Mugello is not state-run.

"From 2006 to '16 Ferrari has made huge investments to raise the quality of the infrastructure and the professionalism of those who work here, so as to present themselves to customers all over the world with an increasingly higher level."
Old 09-11-2019, 09:42 AM

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/45397...-contract.html

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff has explained that Esteban Ocon has not got an escape clause in his new Renault deal that would allow the Frenchman to return to Mercedes in 2021

Ocon is currently Mercedes' reserve driver this season after taking a season out of Formula 1. However, it was announced recently that the driver would be replacing Nico Hulkenberg at Renault for 2020 despite speculation he'd be replacing Valtteri Bottas at the Silver Arrows.

Wolff has revealed that Ocon will not be able to return to Brackley even if Bottas or Lewis Hamilton decide not to renew their Mercedes contracts.

"No, there is no clause," Wolff said to RaceFans at Monza. "He is a full-fledged Renault works driver for the next two years and with certain option afterwards on both sides. No clause to come back in 2021."

With Ocon knowing a lot of Mercedes' technical information, him moving to a rival team may not seem like the best idea, but Wolff has ensured the French driver will be "faded out" of meetings in the future.

"Esteban and I discussed a week ago how long he should stay in the various roles," Wolff added. "I said 'the longer you stay, the more information you're taking with you' and he said 'well of course I'm going to take all this information with me'. So it's a transition.

"He's in our simulator and that is an important role in helping us to develop the car. But step-by-step, Esteban is going to fade out of the meetings about the future, things that impact next year's car or that are deemed to be sensitive from the engineering or innovation point-of-view."
Old 09-11-2019, 04:13 PM

https://autoweek.com/article/formula...ative-attitude

According to four-time Formula 1 champion and Renault team advisor, Renault ousted Nico Hulkenberg because he is too "pessimistic" and "negative."

The team has already agreed to a deal with Esteban Ocon to replace Hulkenberg for 2020. Hulkenberg, meanwhile, is believed to be a possibility for Alfa Romeo or Haas F1 Team for next year.

"We don't want pessimistic drivers, which is why we opted for Ocon," Prost told Italian media outlet Sky Italia. "(Ocon) is very motivated after being out for a year. Nico is quite negative, but he's also right about certain things. But we have to look forward, and a driver's negativity doesn't work for us, especially in a difficult season."

Prost agrees with Hulkenberg that the Renault chassis needs to be improved, but he calls the team's 2019 engine "excellent."

However, he admits that 2020 could be another difficult year for Renault.

"I'll be honest, due to the change in regulations in 2021, it makes no sense that we continue to develop a lot. We hope to have a high level in 2021," said Prost. "We will have to invest a lot in the development of a good car to be in front again."
Old 09-12-2019, 12:55 PM

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/45476...e-for-us-.html

Sebastian Vettel and Ferrari were expected to combine to win Formula 1 world championships. The German driver has been in the Ferrari garage for five years and things are getting worse. On track, we see a frustrated and flustered Vettel, so will Vettel return to Red Bull?

Red Bull team advisor Helmut Marko puts it bluntly.

"I have no idea what Vettel's future is. We had some wonderful years together, but we have our four drivers. Vettel has no relevance for us," Marko told Speedweek.com.

Max Verstappen is shining brightly as the new Red Bull flag bearer. Pierre Gasly didn't make a statement when he had his chance inside the Red Bull car and therefore the team have switched him over with Alex Albon. Marko says Albon has slotted in nicely after his summer break move.

"He fits in well, makes a strong debut in Belgium and does what we expected him to do. He was fully there from the first lap. His commitment had nothing to do with the Thai co-owners of Red Bull. They never spoke. That's all up to us."
Old 09-12-2019, 03:10 PM
Race Director

Testing the new rims and rubber ....

Old 09-13-2019, 01:14 PM
~HondaF1~

Received 107 Likes on 86 Posts
I dig 'em.

As long as they don't do the hideous hubcaps from 09ish
Old 09-15-2019, 04:45 PM
AZ Community Team

Montoya: Vettel's troubles "technical", not mental

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/m...ental/4540756/

Sebastian Vettel’s troubles this year are more likely to be a “technical” problem than an issue with the four-time Formula 1 world champion’s mentality, reckons Juan Pablo Montoya.
Vettel is on a barren streak in F1 and is without a win since the 2018 Belgian Grand Prix, while his new Ferrari teammate Charles Leclerc has now won back-to-back races in Belgium and Italy.

Leclerc’s victory in Ferrari’s home race triggered raucous celebrations at Monza, where Vettel spun out of fourth early on and edged himself close to a race ban for rejoining the track in a “dangerous” way.

The mistake was the latest in a run of errors from Vettel stretching back to the middle of 2018, but seven-time F1 race winner Montoya believes the blame may not lie with Vettel.

“I think he doesn’t like something in the car or this year’s tyres and Leclerc is able to better adapt,” Montoya told Motorsport.com.

“Vettel has to suffer to go as quick as the other guy. Because he has to suffer and he is not comfortable, he makes mistakes. When you’re not happy with the car and you push, mistakes happen.”

“I don’t think it’s a mental thing. It is more a technical one. It’s about understanding, having someone on your side who’s able to find what’s going on.”

Leclerc has generally found Ferrari’s SF90 more compliant, whereas Vettel has often complained this year of not having the right balance in his car.

Montoya compared the situation with his two-year spell with McLaren in 2005 and 2006, when different driving characteristics even led the team to develop a different front suspension for his car in order to better suit his style.

He said he “had to change they way I braked the car and it started doing very different things to what I was used to”, and suspects it might be more effective for something fundamental to change on the car than for Vettel to attempt to adapt around his issues.

“Changing they way you drive is very complicated,” said Montoya. “If you change the way you drive the car you can still be quick, but probably not as quick as you used to be.

“He will have to adapt to a certain extent, but learning to be quick in a different way is very difficult. It’s better to adapt the car to your driving than your style to someone else’s.”

Vettel has a contract with Ferrari that runs to the end of 2020 but his struggles have led to speculation he could try to end that stint early.

However, Montoya believes that Vettel can still recover “if he wants to”, adding: “He’s going to have to get his head down with the team and work harder than he ever has.

“The only way is working harder, doing something different to what he’s doing now. He must be used to working in a certain way, but right now it’s not working out for him.”

Attached Thumbnails Formula One: 2019 Season News and Discussion Thread-sebastian-vettel-ferrari-.jpg  
Old 09-16-2019, 09:33 AM

New HAAS (sans Rich) Livery

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/h...ivery/4542235/

Haas has revealed the first image of what its tweaked car livery will look like following the split with title sponsor Rich Energy.

The team's original black-and-gold colour scheme was adopted at the start of this year because of a new tie-up with energy drinks company Rich Energy

But following a behind-the-scenes battle for control of the business among shareholders, including CEO William Storey, the future of the partnership had been thrown in to doubt.

Last week, however, the matter reached a head when the team agreed with Rich Energy to terminate their sponsorship deal with immediate effect.

That move will result in the removal of the Rich Energy logos that have been on the car, drivers' race wear and team kit since the start of the season.

However, an updated car image posted on Haas' website on Monday shows that the team's choice of colours is unlikely to radically change.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:34 AM

https://beyondtheflag.com/2019/09/15...n-two-drivers/

Haas team principal Guenther Steiner has confirmed that the team’s driver decision for the 2020 Formula 1 season is between two drivers.

Kevin Magnussen is set to return to Haas for the fourth year in the 2020 Formula 1 season after signing a multi-year contract ahead of the 2019 season, but the sport’s lone American team still have one open seat.

Haas are one of five teams that have not yet confirmed their driver lineups for the 2020 season, and they are one of four teams that have one seat occupied and one seat open.

There has been a lot of speculation about who might end up becoming the teammate to the 26-year-old Dane next season, but team principal Guenther Steiner has narrowed down the team’s decision to two drivers.

Steiner already ruled out signing a rookie, which eliminated reserve and test driver Pietro Fittipaldi from the discussion, and he rejected Pascal Wehrlein when he approached the team looking for a seat for next year, which would have marked his return to Formula 1 after two seasons away from the sport.

According to Steiner, there are just two drivers in the discussion, and those drivers are Romain Grosjean and Nico Hulkenberg.

Here is what Steiner had to say about the matter, according to Motorsport.

“It’s between Nico and Romain. We haven’t made the final decision yet, but it will happen soon.”
Grosjean has driven for the team since they entered Formula 1 ahead of the 2016 season while Hulkenberg currently drives for Renault.

However, Renault have already confirmed that the 32-year-old German will not return to the team next season despite the fact that Hulkenberg previously stated that he was “likely” to return.

Renault confirmed that Esteban Ocon will replace Hulkenberg next season after Mercedes-AMG Petronas Motorsport opted to re-sign Valtteri Bottas instead of promoting Ocon, their reserve and test driver.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:35 AM

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/45661...l-backing.html

Alfa Romeo Racing driver Kimi Raikkonen believes the possibility of a home-race in Finland is "possible" as long as it gets the necessary financial backing

The Kymiring has recently been finished and even hosted a short MotoGP test at the track. It holds an FIA Grade One license, which is necessary to host a Formula 1 Grand Prix.

Raikkonen, born in Finland, has insisted he would be very happy to see F1 come to his home country whether it's at the Kymiring or even the streets of one of the country's big cities.

"I've seen a video of the bikes going around," Raikkonen said, as quoted by GPToday.net. "I always said many years ago, the only issue is the money. I'm sure we can race in the middle of Helsinki if someone puts the money down.

"That's the only issue. Now it looks like we have a track, I don't know if it's homologated for F1 yet, it's for the bikes so it must be safe in many areas. It's possible. It's just a matter of somebody taking care of the cost. If that happens, that's great.

"I don't know, I don't really look so much on the past. I had a great time there, I was many years there, we won championships, a couple of team championships.

"It's great to be part of the history and I'm always talking with them when I see (them), so do I miss it? I'm okay where I am now and I have no issues with them."
Old 09-16-2019, 02:13 PM
AZ Community Team

Why a key title-winning team builder is leaving Formula 1

https://sports.yahoo.com/why-key-tit...153419228.html

Costa is one the greatest F1 designers of all time, in 25 years designed and co-designed F1 cars that won 13 constructors' championships and a further 11 drivers' titles.
Ranks up there with Murray, Head, Newey, and Barnard. Perhaps Costa is done with F1, he remarked couple years ago he was homesick having lived so many years in England where MB F1 is based.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 09-16-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:34 AM

https://f1i.com/news/354646-zandvoor...y-banking.html

Zandvoort will soon be pressing ahead with its planned changes to update its circuit and infrastructure to F1 standards in time for next year's Dutch Grand Prix.

The event - scheduled for May 3 2020 - will return to the F1 calendar for the first time since 1985.

But bringing Grand Prix racing back to Zandvoort's famous dunes entails a massive amount of work, the bulk of which is still in the building permit phase with local authorities.

Dutch GP boss Jan Lammers admitted that construction crews will be on a tight schedule but the former F1 driver dispelled worries that the circuit won't be ready on time.

"There is still a lot of work to be done, but we are working hard on that," Lammers told Motorsport.com.

"And just like Max [Verstappen] doesn't wonder if he can handle a Grand Prix, we think we can handle all the work. So I think we're going to surprise a lot of people with the actual event next year.

"At the end of September you will see a lot of action here already. And at the beginning of October this will continue, so before we set up the Christmas tree a lot of work has already been done.

"All the plans are ready and from an architectural point of view it is something that our partners can easily carry out with their expertise. So next year at this time there will be a beautiful circuit here."

The FIA has yet to give its formal approval to Zandvoort's circuit revisions, with changes designed to accommodate modern F1 cars and to potentially enhance the racing.

"We expect to add to the circuit at least two or three overtaking opportunities," Zandvoort circuit director Robert van Overdijk told Allsportradio.

The most spectacular modification will be the transformation of the final corner, named after Dutch driver and two-time Indy 500 winner Arie Luyendijk.

The long right-hand sweep which leads back on to the main straight will feature an 18-degree banked profile, steeper than at Indy!

"A banking is unique," added van Overdijk. "Nowhere in the world can you find a circuit with this layout and a banking of eighteen degrees.

"There will be a height difference of three and a half meters between the bottom and the top of the banking.

"Everyone is enormously looking forward to this, including the drivers."
Old 09-18-2019, 09:35 AM

https://www.motorsport.com/openwheel...pport/4542272/

Following ongoing talks, promoter Australian Racing Group has now struck a deal with the Australian Grand Prix Corporation to open the 2020 S5000 season at Albert Park

It's the second ARG category to join the AGP undercard, with TCR Australia already locked in for the Melbourne race.

The news comes days out from the first ever S5000 round at Sandown, star signing Rubens Barrichello – a five-time podium finisher at Albert Park – on hand for today's announcement, as well as Indy 500 starter Matt Brabham

“There is always such a strong appetite from our fans for exciting on-track activity, so having the exciting S5000 class at our event is the perfect fit,” said AGPC CEO Andrew Westacott.

“AGPC is always looking to inspire the next generation of drivers and being able to showcase a new Australian motorsport category not just nationally, but globally, is such a fantastic opportunity for all involved."

ARG boss Matt Braid added: “The Australian Racing Group is extremely pleased to confirm that S5000 will be on the grid at the Formula 1 Rolex Australian Grand Prix 2020.

“These S5000 cars are going to be right at home on the Albert Park street circuit, and we look forward to providing the best racing for the fans.”

As well as the AGP announcement, the covers came off the Team BRM entry that Barrichello will race at Sandown this weekend.

Quick Reply: Formula One: 2019 Season News and Discussion Thread