Formula One: 2019 Season News and Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 01:44 PM

Received 5,559 Likes on 3,794 Posts
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/k...p-fia/4548711/

Daniil Kvyat has been told by the FIA that he cannot use a special helmet livery design for his home race, because he already used different colours at the Italian Grand Prix.

Kvyat had hoped to run with a new colour scheme for the Russian Grand Prix, and had a new white, red and blue helmet all ready for action

However, in the build-up to the weekend Kvyat was informed that the FIA had not granted him permission to run it because he had already raced in Italy with a different design to what he normally uses.

F1's regulations are clear that drivers must race with predominantly the same helmet design for the entire season. However, they are allowed one special exemption.

Article 9.1 of F1's Sporting Regulations states: "In order for drivers to be easily distinguished from one another whilst they are on the track, the crash helmet of each driver must, with the exception of one Event of the driver's choice, be presented in substantially the same livery at every Event during a Championship season.

"A change to helmet livery will also be permitted if a driver changes team during a Championship season."

Drivers have been able to get around the wording of the rules by running with the same overall design but with different colours. Max Verstappen is one example of a driver who has done this.

Other drivers have been more extreme in changing things, however. Sebastian Vettel ran with a Niki Lauda design at the Monaco Grand Prix, a Bernd Schneider inspired design in Germany, and other colours in Italy and Singapore.

Kvyat ran with a special helmet in Italy, which featured predominantly red colours rather than his more normal blue. For Russia, Kvyat wanted to change his helmet's base colour to white.

However, after those plans were submitted to F1 race director Michael Masi, Kvyat was told that the change was too much so could not be used.

For the opening free practice session, Kvyat was forced to use the helmet design he has used for most of this season.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:59 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,276 Likes on 2,641 Posts
McLaren poised for Mercedes engine switch in 2021

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/m...-2021/4548906/

McLaren is poised for a switch to Mercedes engines in 2021, sources have revealed, as the Woking-based outfit pushes on with its bid to return to winning ways.
Although the team has made good progress following its switch from Honda to Renault engines last year, it is understood that the choice of power unit after its current contract expires in 2020 has been part of the evaluation undertaken by new team principal Andreas Seidl.

It has already announced ambitious plans to build its own wind tunnel at Woking and, aware that the new rules from 2021 offer it a great chance to get back in the mix at the front of the field, its engine options have been closely looked at.

Motorsport.com understands that its favoured route has been to secure a customer supply with Mercedes. It has been suggested that talks are now at an advanced stage and a deal could be close.

However, both Mercedes and McLaren declined to comment on the matter when approached by Motorsport.com.

While McLaren has enjoyed a performance step with Renault this season, it has also endured its fair share of frustrations on the reliability front.

Following a run of in-race retirements, Seidl admitted to some disappointment about the lost opportunities that the problems had caused.

"Renault is making a huge effort in order to bring power updates throughout the season so that's encouraging to see. But of course, [it is] disappointing to have all these penalties and the DNFs in the races," he said.

"It is important that we have a transparent and open relationship there, and that we analyse the issues and try to solve them together."

McLaren enjoyed its most recent successes in Formula 1 with Mercedes in a partnership that lasted from 1995 to 2014. It won drivers' championships with Mika Hakkinen in 1998 and Lewis Hamilton in 2008.

With Mercedes having already announced a customer supply with Williams until 2025, and believed to have a deal in place with Racing Point for a similar period, a McLaren tie up would be its third customer.

Under F1's current rules, manufacturers are only allowed to supply a maximum of three teams unless they are granted permission by the governing body.

Article 8.3 of F1's Sporting Regulations states: "A major car manufacturer may not directly or indirectly supply engines for more than three teams of two cars each without the consent of the FIA."

This means that in theory if the supply rules stay the same, Mercedes will either have to ask permission from the FIA for the McLaren deal to happen, or to be able to supply its own team from 2021.

However, Appendix 9 of the Sporting Regulations, which deals with the number of supply deals, could be interpreted as allowing Mercedes to have a third customer without needing such approval.

A McLaren switch to Mercedes would leave Renault without any customer teams for the future. However, it is understood that the French car manufacturer may not be too unhappy about being able to focus entirely on its own works operation.
The following users liked this post:
00TL-P3.2 (09-30-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 06:20 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,858 Likes on 2,579 Posts
What a rough weekend.

Still don't like the ability to pit under virtual safety car. Does it not ruin what the purpose of the virtual safety car is?
Old 09-30-2019, 06:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,451 Likes on 3,769 Posts
Yes Colts and it handed the race to MBZ as Lewis got a free pitstop without fear of losing position. The FIA are all consumed with how to make racing better but they overlook the easy fundamentals.
CCColtsicehockey (09-30-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 09:07 AM
AZ Community Team

Race strategy, safety car and tire strategy racing

Last edited by Legend2TL; 09-30-2019 at 09:11 AM.
CCColtsicehockey (09-30-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 10:07 AM

https://jalopnik.com/toro-rosso-f1-t...uri-1838619602

Formula One team Toro Rosso has been on the grid since 2006 after Red Bull bought and rebranded Minardi. But that might not be the case moving forward. Toro Rosso has requested a name change for the 2020 season... to AlphaTauri. Which also happens to be the name of Red Bull’s ultra-expensive luxury clothing line.

The Toro Rosso experiment has proved pretty damn successful over the years. Drivers like Sebastian Vettel and Max Verstappen have started off as part of Red Bull’s junior team before graduating to the big-leagues. Its name was basically just the Italian translation of Red Bull to serve as a way to link the two teams together

But the AlphaTauri move would link it to Red Bull in a far different way, Motorsport.com reports. AlphaTauri just so happens to be the name of a Red Bull clothing line that launched two years ago. Instead of marketing Red Bull’s cola products, its junior team would instead market rich people clothes.

Seriously. This stuff is so expensive that it’d take a month’s savings to actually deck yourself out in a full outfit. Here’s a look at the autumn/winter lineup this year:

If you’re feeling like a high roller, the most expensive item in this collection selection will cost you a measly $980 over here in America (which doesn’t even take into consideration what I am sure is obscenely priced shipping). For those of you on a budget, you can slip into a nice long-sleeve shirt for $130.

The whole AlphaTauri schtick here is that its clothes are perfect for a sporty lifestyle. It’s breathable and packable, the site claims, so you can remain nice and cozy as you, I don’t know, go skiing in a fancy Alpine resort.

Honestly, it seems like a pretty smart move. As an avid follower of all things F1, I hadn’t heard of AlphaTauri until the name change request was announced. What better way to promote expensive clothing than to deck your drivers out in it and plaster the name on the side of your fancy race car

The name change still isn’t official. To actually make the swap, the request has to be approved by both the commercial rights holder and the F1 Commission via e-vote. But honestly, there’s no real reason why this should end up being denied.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:08 AM

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/s...icism/4550476/

Kevin Magnussen was given a five-second penalty at Sochi, which dropped him from eighth to ninth in the results, after running wide at Turn 2 defending from Sergio Perez and failing to rejoin the track to the left of two polystyrene markers as instructed earlier in the weekend

Magnussen said after the race the decision was "bullshit" and argued he was not able to make it across to the markers after running wide, and Steiner did not impress the FIA with a message he sent Magnussen over the radio, which referred to "a stupid idiotic steward".

Steiner did not speak to FIA race director Michael Masi or the stewards after the race but Haas team manager Peter Crolla had separate discussions with both parties

This is not the first instance of Steiner being critical of officials, and it is understood that the FIA may look into the incident further.

Should the FIA feel Steiner crossed a line in Russia, the easiest solution would be to discuss the matter informally at the next race in Japan.

However, if it feels the incident is more serious, it may opt to raise the issue formally.

Masi referenced the various "judicial processes" the FIA has at its disposal should it seem it necessary to utilise them, with its International Tribunal reserved for serious alleged offences.

This is what Sebastian Vettel escaped in 2017 when he told then-race director Charlie Whiting to "f*** off" after being enraged by a penalty during the Mexican Grand Prix.

The FIA's International Sporting Code includes a code of good conduct that includes a reference to participants not using words to "cause damage to the standing and/or reputation of…the FIA, its bodies, its members or its management".

Event stewards have the authority for the enforcement of the ISC and can delegate their authority to their successors at the following grand prix.

That means that although the Russian GP has been concluded, the stewards from Sochi may be able to request Steiner meets with the panel that is assembled for Suzuka.

When asked by Motorsport.com for his thoughts on Steiner's comments in Russia and what it would take for the FIA to take action, Masi made it clear it was "not for me to determine".

"The FIA has got its various judicial processes," said Masi. "I've heard about the comments that were made on the radio. I haven't seen them directly so I'm not going to comment on what those are.

"At the end of the day we're all here to do a job, be it officials, the teams, everyone. There has to be a level of mutual respect.

"Regarding the specific comments. I haven't seen them so I'd prefer not to comment on them until I have.

"If something's been said that's inappropriate, there's those that are in charge of the judicial elements away from the event that can look at it."
Old 09-30-2019, 12:59 PM

The Toro Roso car is one of the best looking on the grid. Bummer for it to go away. At least I have faith that being Red Bull owned and now sporting a designer clothing brand it might keep a cool design language.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:06 PM
~HondaF1~

Received 111 Likes on 90 Posts
I hate VSC, do away with it.

Regular SC or local yellow.

GRRRRRRRRRRRR
Chief F1 Fan (09-30-2019)
Old 10-01-2019, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by R J Poseidon 6
I hate VSC, do away with it.

Regular SC or local yellow.

GRRRRRRRRRRRR
I think VSC serves a purpose and needs to be kept. That purpose though I think is for immediate deployment until the safety makes it to the front of the pack. Beyond that I think full safety car should be used.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:20 PM

Right.
I did hear a comment either during the race or in some commentary elsewhere with the suggestion that the pit lane be closed during the VSC, to eliminate the advantage of the slow field on the pit stop time.
I guess another point of sorts, is that the VSC mostly keeps the gaps on track the same, so it's less penalizing if you were to pit after the VSC ends, than if you got caught out by the SC which bunches the pack back up.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:18 AM

https://autoweek.com/article/formula...orming-f1-team

Russian billionaire Boris Rotenberg has admitted he could set up a Formula 1 team

At Sochi, Russia's visiting trade and industry minister Denis Manturov told Ria Novosti news agency set off a prominent rumor

"I think a Russian team will appear," Manturov said. "It is not far off.

The man closest to making that happen is Rotenberg, whose SMP Racing operation backs Sergey Sirotkin, recently had an LMP1 team at Le Mans and supports scores of Russian drivers in various categories

Rotenberg, who is closely linked with Russian President Vladimir Putin, didn’t shy away from the topic while at the Russian Grand Prix

"The more you try to create in motorsport, the more chance you have to flourish," he said. "Do we want to create a Formula 1 team? I think the more teams there are, the more opportunities there will be for our drivers

"Everything is possible. The main thing is to make the effort. First of all are the financial considerations.

A prominent SMP Racing driver is Robert Shwartzman, who wrapped up the Formula 3 title at Sochi. The Russian is also backed by Ferrari

"Robert needs to keep progressing and moving up the ladder," Rotenberg said. "I think he will go to Formula 2 now.

Shwartzman, 20, is already worried there may be no place for him at the highest level

"I want to go to Formula 1. The problem is that there are no opportunities or unoccupied places," Shwartzman said. "Many people I work with think it's too early for me to go to Formula 1 now, but speaking for myself, I am ready. I would risk it if I could."
Old 10-02-2019, 11:13 AM
AZ Community Team

Mercedes reveals cost of 2018 Formula 1 world championship win

For some context, I have a "Car & Driver" article from 1996 which gets into the operating cost of the Williams F1 team (then the top F1 team). IIRC it was ~$55M in 1996 dollars which in 2019 is ~$89M
So MB in 2018 spent $416M, so about 4.7x more in 2018. Pretty unreal the ever expanding cost of F1.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/mercede...122533384.html

The Mercedes Formula 1 team earned and spent almost the same amount in 2018 as it did in 2017, newly released accounts have revealed.

The team's income, from F1 prize money, sponsorship and parent company Daimler AG, rose from £337.2m in 2017 to £338.4m last year.

Expenditure increased from £309.7m to £311.4m, resulting in a post tax profit of £13.3m.

Income and expenditure had previously made a significant jump from 2016 to 2017, with the latter figures reflecting the R&D costs associated with the major F1 rules changes introduced that season.

The fact that its expenditure essentially stayed the same in 2018 suggests that Mercedes opted to maintain that level of investment in a period of relatively stable rules.

However there is no outward sign yet of the team addressing the cost cap that is coming in 2021, and which will force the big three teams to trim spending and inevitably head counts.

Mercedes reveals cost of 2018 F1 title win

Over the past three seasons average staff numbers have risen from 849 in 2016 to 912 in 2017 and to 968 in 2018, with 38 added last year in design, manufacturing and engineering, and 19 in administration.

That contributed to the 2018 wage bill increasing by £6.5m from £87.2m to £93.7m.

The marketing revenue contribution of Daimler AG to the team's budget is listed as £64.3m, around £4m more than the previous year.

However £25.3m is returned by the team - reflecting the leasing cost of the power units supplied by sister company HPP.

That leaves a net Daimler contribution of less than £40m.

Mercedes enjoyed a 24% share of F1's TV coverage in 2018, which represents an AER (Advertising Value Equivalent) of $3.7bn for its commercial partners.

In emphasising the value of the F1 programme the team says: "In parallel to the team's success in recent seasons, the Mercedes-Benz brand has grown in value from $31.9bn in 2013 to $48.6bn in 2018 (as measured by Interbrand), with F1 making an important contribution to the brand's status as the eighth most valuable in the world."
Old 10-02-2019, 02:35 PM
~HondaF1~

If I roll all my coins....
Old 10-02-2019, 08:57 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,158 Likes on 835 Posts
Stoopid Ferrari. They look like idiots when they try to out smart themselves.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:30 AM

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/s...-2021/4552024/

A new team linked to Campos Racing has targeted entering Formula 1 in 2021 with ex-Mercedes protege Pascal Wehrlein as one of its drivers.

Eponymous team owner Adrian Campos and his co-owner Salvatore Gandolfo want to use F1's major rules overhaul in 2021, including a budget cap, to enter a Spanish team

It intends to use financial backing from Monaco Increase Management, a company founded by Gandolfo that lists ex-Ferrari, Arrows and Super Aguri senior team member Daniele Audetto as an advisor.

Campos has been involved in F1 projects before, most recently as the driving force behind the entry that became Hispania (HRT) when he sold it before its F1 debut in 2010

His collaboration with MIM claims to have held meetings with F1 chiefs Chase Carey and Ross Brawn, while Gandolfo says it has "the financial solidity required by the FIA to make this project a success".

Brawn said in August there had been a "surprising" amount of interest from potential new teams, with one known to be preparing a bid under the Panthera Team Asia name, but they had been told to wait until at least 2022.

The prospect of a new team was also played down during the recent Singapore Grand Prix weekend, when FIA president Jean Todt said he wanted something "concrete" and he had not yet received "strong contact from a relevant, solid team wishing to join F1".

Todt added that the teams interested were not at the same "level" Haas was prior to joining the F1 grid in 2016.

However, though Gandolfo said the "long-term project" is "aware of the big challenges ahead of us", the Campos/MIM collaboration is proceeding with the intention of joining in 2021.

"With the new budget cap, the new distribution of incomes and the new technical and sporting regulations, there is a great opportunity for smaller teams to compete and ultimately to make the FIA Formula 1 World Championship more interesting and balanced again," said Gandolfo.

Experienced F1 aerodynamicist Ben Wood and ex-Super Aguri chief designer Peter McCool are said to have been recruited to the project already.

McCool has been hired as technical director and Wood is slated to be chief aerodynamicist, a role he held while working alongside McCool at Super Aguri and then performed for Brawn and Mercedes before leaving after the 2010 season.

A study conducted by "a team of professional engineers with F1 backgrounds" has been under way since the end of July to establish the feasibility of the entry and will be concluded when F1's new regulations are finalised at the end of October.

The project states it is at "an advanced stage of negotiations" with existing F1 teams and engine manufacturers to strike "the best possible partnership" for 2021.

As it has its roots in Spain but is utilising development expertise in the UK, this could mean something similar to the set-up of Haas, which is split across different countries.

Haas joined the grid with an extensive part supply arrangement with Ferrari, although it is not clear whether the Campos/MIM collaboration would seek something similar.

Renault may pose the most likely option for an engine deal given it will only supply its works team in 2021, making it a logical choice for any new team.

Should it secure an entry, the Campos/MIM entry has specifically named Wehrlein and Spaniard Alex Palou as potential drivers.

Ex-Manor and Sauber driver Wehrlein is known to Campos because he races in Formula E for the Mahindra team, which Campos supports. He currently dovetails his FE programme with a Ferrari development role.

Palou, who has had a varied junior single-seater career, is currently third in Super Formula during a race-winning rookie season in Japan's premier series.

Campos Racing was founded in 1997 and currently competes in F1's two main feeder categories, F2 and F3.

Renault F1 junior Jack Aitken is fighting for third in the F2 championship but its second car has rotated between Dorian Boccolacci, who encountered financial difficulties, LMP2 convert Arjun Maini and Euroformula Open champion Marino Sato.

Campos's race-winning GP3 team has also struggled with the series' transition to F3 this year, with a driver line-up comprising Sebastian Fernandez, Alessio Deledda and Alex Peroni.

Both the F2 and F3 teams would continue should the new F1 entry go ahead, operating as a junior team.

David Vidales, a frontrunner in international karting, has been identified as a long-term option and is poised to begin a testing programme with Campos in old Euro F3 machinery.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:31 AM

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/m...-2021/4551828/

McLaren did not consider a Ferrari supply or building its own Formula 1 engine while it decided to end its Renault deal and negotiate a Mercedes return for 2021.

The British team will be reunited with former partner Mercedes when its current three-year commitment to Renault ends after next season

McLaren's F1 CEO Zak Brown said Mercedes' position as the benchmark engine over the entirety of the V6 turbo-hybrid era, even though Ferrari is now the class leader, is part of the appeal for McLaren.

He also said Ferrari would be "a clear brand clash" with McLaren on the road-car side, while Mercedes does not feel its own GT arm is an issue in that regard

Asked by Motorsport.com if McLaren had considered Ferrari, given it has overhauled Mercedes on the engine side, or building its own bespoke unit, Brown said: "In Formula 1 you have to look at a longer period of time other than a handful of races.

"Obviously the Ferrari engine seems extremely strong at the moment but if you look at the commitment of Mercedes Benz, where they have been, and as a racing team, it is a great yardstick.

"We've not considered Ferrari. I also think it's a clear brand clash with our McLaren road car business. From making engines, fiscally it's nothing that makes sense for us.

"I think you need to be a significantly bigger OEM that can warrant the spend to justify the exposure it creates for a greater number of car sales.

"It clearly does make sense for a Mercedes, Renault, Honda, but doesn't make sense for a McLaren with the volume of cars that we sell."

Back in 2017, Brown had mooted the idea of McLaren building its own engine should the 2021 regulations make that process cheaper and less complicated.

However, as discussions over F1's wider rules overhaul progressed, the existing manufacturers successfully lobbied for the V6 turbo-hybrid designs to continue unchanged.

When asked if there were any other options for McLaren, team principal Andreas Seidl, who was the driving force behind the Mercedes deal, said: "No, there are not any newcomers on the horizon.

"It's not realistic that any new engine manufacturer would come into this sport. It's simply too much money you have to invest."

On the prospect of McLaren building its own engine, Seidl said: "It was never a topic really.

"To put up a Formula 1 power unit nowadays you have to invest a lot of money.

"You need a lot of running budget each year and you would need a long time to catch up with what the others have put in place.

"That was never a topic. We're very happy with the agreement we have now with Mercedes."
Old 10-09-2019, 09:26 AM

https://f1i.com/news/357299-fia-read...n-steiner.html

Haas boss Guenther Steiner's scathing criticism of the stewards' call against his team in the Russian Grand Prix could prove very costly for the Italian and the US outfit.

In Sochi, Haas' Kevin Magnussen was handed a 5-second time penalty during the race for venturing off track at Turn 2 while fighting Racing Point's Sergio Perez.

But the Dane failed to pass to the left of the bollards placed in the corner's run-off area, a move frowned upon by the stewards who hit the driver with a penalty

Magnussen salvaged a ninth-place finish but on the cool down lap, Steiner objected to the sanction, insisting the call was made by "a stupid idiotic steward".

However, according to a report from Germany's Motorsport-Total, a post-race confrontation between the stewards and Steiner escalated, with the Haas team boss refusing to apologize for his attitude earlier in the day and lashing out at FIA steward Emanuele Pirro in particular.

The clash between the two men and Steiner's attitude in Sochi has prompted the FIA to consider an exemplary punishment for Haas or its team principal.

Motorsport-Total says three potential sanctions are apparently under discussion. The FIA could send Steiner packing for a few races and restrict his access to the paddock; it could also hit Haas with a hefty $250,000 fine for bringing the sport into disrepute; finally, the governing body could deduct points from Haas' tally in the Constructors' standings.

It's likely Steiner will be keeping a low profile this weekend in Suzuka, if the Haas boss on the team's pitwall, which remains to be confirmed.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:28 AM

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/t...se-gp/4554960/

Formula 1 is bracing itself for potential disruption over the Japanese Grand Prix weekend as it appears increasingly likely that Suzuka will be affected by the super typhoon Hagibis.

The Japanese Meteorology Agency says its latest forecasts are for the typhoon to hit Japan on Saturday and Sunday, bringing with it violent winds and heavy rain

Current predictions are that Suzuka will face the worst of this on Saturday – although the exact timing and location of when the typhoon will make landfall is not yet certain.

However, early predictions suggest a 100mph wind speed at the typhoon’s centre – with gusts potentially reaching 140mph

The impact of such weather would make it unlikely that track action could take place, which would mean a change to the Japanese GP timetable.

This happened in 2004 when qualifying was postponed until Sunday because of a typhoon.

The FIA has said it is carefully monitoring the weather situation, and working closely with the circuit organisers, the Japanese Automobile Federation and F1 to see if any action needs to take place and the timetable altered.

While indications earlier this week were that the typhoon could hit on Sunday, it is now looking likely that it will move through a day earlier than anticipated – which means the race will not be under threat

Old 10-09-2019, 09:52 AM

Hoping that storm dies off for the sake of Japan and so that we get to see a race this weekend. That said I hope the rain sticks around cause honestly the best race in my opinion we had this season so far was in the wet. It was just downright exciting from start to finish.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:04 AM

00TL-P3.2 (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 06:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
Hoping that storm dies off for the sake of Japan and so that we get to see a race this weekend. That said I hope the rain sticks around cause honestly the best race in my opinion we had this season so far was in the wet. It was just downright exciting from start to finish.
wet races IMO, are always the best because they highlight talent over machinery. Try driving one in a simulator though with no traction control or brake assist and it's very very difficult-like racing on ice in a road car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chief F1 Fan:
00TL-P3.2 (10-10-2019), CCColtsicehockey (10-10-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 09:07 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
Very cool
Old 10-09-2019, 09:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
wet races IMO, are always the best because they highlight talent over machinery. Try driving one in a simulator though with no traction control or brake assist and it's very very difficult-like racing on ice in a road car.
and I hope the netflix guys will be filming too! Can't wait to see the footage from the last wet race at hockenheim!
Old 10-11-2019, 11:23 AM
~HondaF1~

Surprised it's not here yet but:

No fun for us tonight, I was looking forward to it but Mother Nature said F that noise.....
Old 10-11-2019, 11:49 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Yeah. Before I had kids, I loved to stay up the whole night to watch these night races.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:14 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

https://www.grandprix.com/news/honda-ups-f1-budget.html

Honda is upping its Formula 1 budget for 2020, according to Italy's La Gazzetta dello Sport.
The move follows pressure on the Red Bull-Honda alliance from Max Verstappen and his father Jos, who have indicated they could be on the move for 2021.
The Italian sports newspaper claims that Honda is investing EUR 140 million on development of its 2020 engine, in order to catch Ferrari and Mercedes.
"The big teams still have an advantage over us," Honda F1 boss Toyoharu Tanabe told Spain's AS newspaper.
La Gazzetta dello Sport also reported that Honda has increased its F1 workforce from 250 people in 2017 to 450 this year.
And team boss Christian Horner said the debut of a brand new Mobil 1 fuel this weekend is a sign that the Red Bull-Honda partnership is working well.
"The great thing about Honda is that they are fully focused on working with Red Bull and Toro Rosso," he said.
"That is significantly different to what we were used to before. Our former engine supplier (Renault) used another fuel and oil partner for their factory team.
But we are involved in all of Honda's development, and that includes the fuel and the lubricants. It's a true partnership," Horner added.
ExxonMobil's technical boss David Tsurasaki confirmed at Suzuka that the new fuel features chemicals "that have never been used in Formula 1 before".
Old 10-14-2019, 07:17 AM
AZ Community Team

Vettel start , he could have won Japan.
LeClerc's drive through the field was impressive.
Good consistent drive from Bottas

Last edited by Legend2TL; 10-14-2019 at 07:25 AM.
00TL-P3.2 (10-14-2019)
Old 10-14-2019, 08:06 AM

#VB/77
Old 10-14-2019, 08:09 AM

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/l...-wing/4557331/

Ferrari driver Charles Leclerc has been handed two time penalties for his incidents during the Japanese Grand Prix.

Leclerc broke the left front endplate of his car in a second-corner clash with Max Verstappen at Suzuka, and the part dragged along the ground for much of the opening lap

F1 race director Michael Masi had safety concerns about the part breaking off and, during communication with the team, he was advised that Leclerc would be pitted at the end of the second lap.

But, with Leclerc not losing much time initially, Ferrari kept him out – with the part then breaking off on the second lap

The flying parts struck Lewis Hamilton's Mercedes, ripping off his right-hand side mirror, and pieces also ended up in the front brake duct of Lando Norris.

Leclerc has received a 15-second time penalty, five seconds for his initial collision with Verstappen and 10 for Ferrari leaving him out with a damaged car.

The penalty drops Leclerc from sixth to seventh, behind Renault's Daniel Ricciardo.

The stewards explained that "by not bringing car 16 into the pits at the end of lap 1, immediately after the incident for a safety inspection when there was damage clearly visible and then by telling the driver to remain out for an additional lap after telling the Race Director otherwise, the team created an unsafe condition on the circuit which only narrowly avoided being a major incident and also increased the likelihood of additional incidents after the one noted."

Asked by Motorsport.com about the Leclerc situation, Masi said: "I was originally advised that they would be pitting the car. They then chose not to and subsequently Ferrari was instructed by me to pit Charles' car, which it did.

"On the second lap, the elements came off and they were still instructed to pit because we could not confirm if there was going to be anything else that was going to come off."

Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto admitted he knew Leclerc would need to stop to change the wing.

However, as well as the stewards' claim that Ferrari was appeased when it saw part of the wing detach, Binotto suggested that the delay in pitting was also a response to Leclerc's pace.

He said that the team was willing to pit as soon as the FIA demanded it.

"What happened is we got the damage and Charles is the one who is driving and can feel the car, and how it behaves," he said. "From outside we saw the wing was broken so it would have needed to be changed at some stage.

"He still had the right pace, stayed out, but then the FIA asked us to come in for safety reasons and we immediately accepted the decision.

"The stewards realised maybe we should have come in earlier and we have been penalised for that as well."

Pushed further on whether or not he was slightly annoyed Ferrari did not pit when he expected them to, Masi said: "More than 'slightly annoyed' from a safety perspective."

McLaren team principal Andreas Seidl said he was upset about what Ferrari had done, especially because the broken front wing parts cost Norris the chances of a good points-scoring finish.

"We obviously strongly disagree with competitors leaving cars out on track with entire front wing endplates hanging down, putting everyone at risk," he said.

"Unfortunately when this endplate then exploded, we were catching in our front right brake duct debris, from Ferrari. Brake temperature went through the roof so we had to box him to clean it. And then the race was over."

Old 10-14-2019, 08:10 AM

But, with Leclerc not losing much time initially, Ferrari kept him out – with the part then breaking off on the second lap

The flying parts struck Lewis Hamilton's Mercedes, ripping off his right-hand side mirror, and pieces also ended up in the front brake duct of Lando Norris.
Luckily, it only took his mirror. Can't imagine if that end plate had gone into the cockpit.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:10 AM

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/j...perez/4557218/

The FIA has launched an investigation into why the chequered flag light display panel was shown a lap too soon at Formula 1's Japanese Grand Prix, which meant the race was declared a lap earlier than originally intended.

The Suzuka race was supposed to run to 53 laps, but it is understood the chequered light was displayed on lap 52

With F1’s regulations being strict that the race is declared as soon as the chequered flag is shown, it means the final result has to be taken at the completion of lap 52 rather than 53.

Article 43.2 of F1's sporting regulations states: "Should for any reason the end‐of‐race signal be given before the leading car completes the scheduled number of laps, or the prescribed time has been completed, the race will be deemed to have finished when the leading car last crossed the Line before the signal was given

This does not change the results of the leading cars, but it means some shuffling further down the order.

It is good news for Racing Point’s Sergio Perez, who will now be credited with a ninth-place finish. The Mexican had got involved in a tangle with Toro Rosso’s Pierre Gasly on what should have been the final lap and ended up in the barrier.

Nico Hulkenberg gets moved down to 10th place, with Lance Stroll dropping from 10th to 11th.

The FIA is uncertain about why the chequered light panel got illuminated too early, and is currently looking into the details.

It is not the first time in F1 history that the race has been officially declared prematurely, with model Winnie Harlow famously waving the flag two laps early at the 2018 Canadian Grand Prix.

Old 10-14-2019, 08:34 AM

Ferrari self inflicted disaster of a race was boring.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:29 AM

https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/2...wards-outburst

Haas team boss Guenther Steiner has been slapped with a €7,500 fine for comments he made about the stewards after the Russian Grand Prix.

Steiner was summoned to the stewards' office in Japan to discuss the Sochi incident in which he claimed, "if we wouldn't have a stupid idiotic steward, we would be eighth. You know who is the steward. You know him. It is always the same. He just does not get any more intelligent..."

The comment was heard over Kevin Magnussen's team radio and was in response to the stewards handing the Dane a five-second time penalty for running wide at Turn 2 and failing to re-join the track through the bollards, as agreed in the drivers' meeting ahead of the race.

Haas argued that Magnussen was unable to do so given the angle he went off the circuit, and if he had attempted to do so he would have been forced to re-join in an aggressive manner.

The stewards stuck to the letter of the law, however, and dished out the penalty -- one which dropped Magnussen from eighth to ninth at the chequred flag and led to Steiner's post-race outburst.

The stewards in Russia referred the matter to the stewards in Japan as certain members of the Haas team had already departed the circuit. On Friday afternoon at Suzuka, Steiner met with the stewards of the Japanese Grand Prix before the verdict was handed down.

"The Stewards conducted a hearing with Mr. Steiner. He confirmed that his comment was related only to a single steward of the Russian Grand Prix panel and that his radio transmission happened in the heat of the moment after a hotly contested race by his drivers," the statement from the FIA read. "In retrospect, he regretted his choice of words used at the time. He did not intend for his words to reflect unfavourably on the FIA officials of the event and the championship.

"Nevertheless, the affected radio communication as transmitted at the time is an insult to the stewards of the event and calls into question both the skills and the integrity of those stewards. Such statements harm the reputation of motorsport in general and call into question the professionalism of the officials of the FIA. Public personal attacks against individual officials are totally inappropriate and will not be accepted.

"The wording used by Mr. Steiner has caused moral injury to FIA officials, was prejudicial to the interests of motorsport and therefore shall be deemed to be a breach of the rules.

"Since no penalties have been imposed on Mr. Steiner for similar behaviour in the past, a fine of the amount imposed is considered appropriate. However, in the event of future violations, it may become necessary to consider whether a team should be penalized, along with any individual involved, with harsher sanctions."
Old 10-14-2019, 10:30 AM

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/v...force/4557486/

Max Verstappen retired from the Japanese Grand Prix because his first-lap clash with Charles Leclerc cost him almost 25% downforce on his Red Bull Formula 1 car.

Verstappen had passed Leclerc and Lewis Hamilton on the run to the first corner and kept to the outside as the track tightened into Turn 2, but Leclerc ran wide and his Ferrari clattered into the Red Bull

Verstappen was shoved onto the grass and had a half-spin before rejoining in 18th, but retired on lap 15 after making little progress.

"It was a huge amount of damage to the floor," Red Bull team principal Christian Horner. "He lost almost 20-25% of the downforce of the car

"There was no point running around just putting mileage on components so we retired the car to save the mileage."

Leclerc was running ahead of Verstappen when the young Dutchman retired and went on to finish sixth, but dropped to seventh after post-race penalties.

Both of those were related to the Verstappen incident, the first a five-second drop for the clash and then 10 seconds for Ferrari not pitting him when he had a damaged front wing.

The Leclerc/Verstappen clash was not even investigated initially by race control, but the FIA quickly changed its mind.

"I think it was right they have a proper look at it," said Horner. "In that incident there was enough space to be left. And Max was clearly ahead."

The FIA takes a more lenient view on first-lap collisions and embraced a common-sense approach.

It has also tried to reduce the number penalties handed out for racing incidents in general. They're trying to let them race but sometimes things get a little too far," said Horner.

"It was a shame because essentially it took both of them out of the race. And it would have been good to see both of those guys fighting them out at the front."
Old 10-14-2019, 10:31 AM

Did some math on the rest of the season. If the F1 site is up to date, current points are HAM 338 BOT 274

Bottas has to win the next 4 rounds & get the fastest lap, which would put him at 378pts.
Hamilton finishing 5th in each race would put him at 378 as well.

41 points to Hamilton in the remaining races, crowns him WDC again.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:27 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^^ seems highly unlikely
Old 10-15-2019, 08:45 AM

Here is to hoping 2020 will be more competitive
Old 10-15-2019, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
^^^^ seems highly unlikely
Would take some catastrophe/multiple DNFs for that big of a points swing to occur.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:42 AM

https://jalopnik.com/f1-strikes-prel...ami-1839071419

The Miami Grand Prix that never was may still be, according to a report from the Miami Herald. The Herald reports that Formula One came to a preliminary agreement with the Miami Dolphins’ Hard Rock Stadium for a race in May 2021, and both are waiting for approval from the government of Miami-Dade County

Update: Tuesday, Oct. 15 at 4:49 p.m. ET: Right after this published, a Dolphins communications manager confirmed the Herald report to Jalopnik, also sending a version of the below statement included by the Herald. The comms manager also sent over hi-res versions of the renderings, so enjoy

“Subject to the cooperation of the Miami-Dade County Commission, we expect the first race to take place in May 2021,” the statement sent to Jalopnik read.

(Also, the above update formerly said “Tuesday, Oct. 14.” Sorry about that.)

Update: Wednesday, Oct. 16 at 8:18 a.m.: F1 responded to Jalopnik, saying it has no further comment than the joint statement included in this story

Earlier: That means the Miami Grand Prix, originally planned to occur on a nightmare of a street course with a decade-long deal beginning this year and then delayed for all sorts of reasons, may still happen—only on the grounds of an NFL stadium instead of on the street.

The Herald story included a statement from executives at both the Dolphins and F1 about the deal, which read as such:
“We are thrilled to announce that Formula One and Hard Rock Stadium have reached an agreement in principle to host the first-ever Formula One Miami Grand Prix at Hard Rock Stadium,” Dolphins CEO Tom Garfinkel and Sean Bratches, F-1’s managing director of commercial operations, said in a joint statement. “With an estimated annual impact of more than $400 million and 35,000 room nights, the Formula One Miami Grand Prix will be an economic juggernaut for South Florida each and every year.

“We are deeply grateful to our fans, elected officials and the local tourism industry for their patience and support throughout this process,” Garfinkel added. “We look forward to bringing the greatest racing spectacle on the planet for the first time to one of the world’s most iconic and glamorous regions.”
There don’t appear to be any statements out from the Miami Dolphins, the stadium or F1 about the agreement, but the Herald posted track renderings, also included in this story, credited to the Dolphins.

Jalopnik has reached out to all three entities for comment, and will update this story if we hear back.

The Herald story, though, said once plans for a street course fell through due to the construction times to set the track up each year and other area complaints, talks moved to holding a grand prix at the stadium. But if the deal does happen, it will require major construction for a new track in a country that already has a whole lot of race tracks. From the story:

So that’s when organizers turned their attention to Hard Rock Stadium and its surrounding grounds, all of which are owned by Stephen Ross. Ross would cover all race costs, including an expected $40 million custom track to run predominantly on the Hard Rock Stadium grounds, which would make the Formula One race eligible for a marquee event grant per the 2014 agreement with the county.

Discussions began earlier this year with F-1 and Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Gimenez. They remain ongoing.
The Herald reports that Bratches said the new plan keeps the race contained rather than requiring a bunch of street shutdowns, and that planners said the economic benefit “will be on the scale of a Super Bowl.”

If the Miami Grand Prix does happen, it’ll be one more step in the plan of F1’s now-American owners to bring more races to the States.

But if it doesn’t, well, there’s no need to be too surprised. This event has faced so many setbacks already that you can color us very skeptical until the starting lights go out.

Quick Reply: Formula One: 2019 Season News and Discussion Thread