Senior Moderator

Received 7,143 Likes on 3,631 Posts
So, maybe but no for Williams??

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/0...and-prix-duel/
Old 06-24-2014, 07:53 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,174 Likes on 2,591 Posts
Originally Posted by Mugen.Justice
And which was the only MBZ-powered car that didn't score points? A McLaren...with Button behind the wheel. Sigh.
Not sure what's up with Button this season? I thought the new cars with less downforce, more torque, and hybrid braking system would suit his smooth driving style. Alot is the car, but KMag has been pretty competitive for a rookie as well in the same car.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:02 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,130 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Not sure what's up with Button this season? I thought the new cars with less downforce, more torque, and hybrid braking system would suit his smooth driving style. Alot is the car, but KMag has been pretty competitive for a rookie as well in the same car.
I think Button's reputation for smooth driving is way overblown. When the new Pirelli's came out, people were saying how his style would benefit the abrasive tires, but his results were mediocre. I like Button, but he's never been a "tier-1" driver.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:00 PM
Senior Moderator

maybe not, but he did win the WC in a Brawn.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:38 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
He did, but the Brawn was obviously the fastest car that year by a mile.

There's no chance that McLaren will keep him for next year.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:38 PM
Senior Moderator

PLUS he had 6 pitstops, got in a crash w/ Hamilton and still won the Canadian GP in a downpour. JEnson's better than you think and he has been offered a 1 year extension. It was confirmed in Canada. Oh, and don't forget Vettel's 4 WC's, same argument, best car flattering a driver that doesn't deserve the accolades, esp. when you compare him to Ricciardo this year in equal equipment
Old 06-24-2014, 03:59 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

PLUS he had 6 pitstops, got in a crash w/ Hamilton and still won the Canadian GP in a downpour. JEnson's better than you think and he has been offered a 1 year extension. It was confirmed in Canada. Oh, and don't forget Vettel's 4 WC's, same argument, best car flattering a driver that doesn't deserve the accolades, esp. when you compare him to Ricciardo this year in equal equipment
There's a report today that says no driver extension was offered to Button just yet. I'm not saying that Button is a bad driver, but he isn't in the same league as the elite.
The argument between Vettel and Button aren't even close. The Brawn was miles ahead of any other car that miracle year, similar to the Mercedes this year. The Red Bull was never that dominant.
Full props to Ricciardo this year, but I rate Vettel as the best driver in the field. IMO, he's better than Alonso or Hamilton.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:41 PM
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Sure he hasn't been the most exciting driver the watch in the last two years, but not tier-1? Without sounding too much like a fanboy...on top of what Chief F1 Fan already mentioned, he finished 2nd to Vettel in 2011 (albeit with a big gap in points). During the three years that they drove together, didn't Button outscore Hamilton?

I've read some articles dated today that McLaren is in "tentative talks" with Hamilton. Fat chance - why would Lewis want leave the most dominant team for one that's been...circling the drain the last two years?

As for signing Alonso - why would he want to jump from one struggling team to another?
Old 06-24-2014, 06:14 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
I agree.

In F1, it's always car first, driver skill second; especially now that a F1 car has so much electronics and driving aids.

When given a shitty car, even the best driver won't win any race.

However, as long as he has the best car, even a mediocre driver will take the championship.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Mischievous MBZ mechanics hard at work . . .

Re-badged bull at A1 Ring and below, MBZ's poke at RBR

The following users liked this post:
Legend2TL (06-25-2014)
Old 06-25-2014, 10:32 AM
AZ Community Team

, yep and he produced better results with the car than Rubens did

Originally Posted by F-C
He did, but the Brawn was obviously the fastest car that year by a mile.

There's no chance that McLaren will keep him for next year.
Initially it was the fastest car due to the aerodynamic advantage of the double diffuser deck. But by mid-season the front runners had caught up. Add to that Brawn had no updates due to lack of money, and had laid off ~1/2 of their staff. Still amazing Cinderella season with WDC and WCC being won.

and a new front wing, best Button win ever.

Button is really good, I find the fact that he beat Lewis in 2011, lost 2010, and within 2 points last year prove he is extremely capable. He also proved himself as he assimilated into the McLaren atmosphere/culture.

Originally Posted by F-C
There's a report today that says no driver extension was offered to Button just yet. I'm not saying that Button is a bad driver, but he isn't in the same league as the elite.
The argument between Vettel and Button aren't even close. The Brawn was miles ahead of any other car that miracle year, similar to the Mercedes this year. The Red Bull was never that dominant.
Full props to Ricciardo this year, but I rate Vettel as the best driver in the field. IMO, he's better than Alonso or Hamilton.
I put Button at tier 1.5, under certain circumstances and conditions he can really shine. As above the Brawn was a great car from the start to about mid-season but RedBull caught up to it by mid-season with 5 wins that year.

With Vettel driving, the last few Red Bull cars were extremely dominating. The blown exhaust with higher rear downforce and lower torque engine worked oh so well for Vettel. His style of driving suited those cars and rules. He is a great driver, no doubt but his style does nto work so well with the new powertrains and cars.

I still find it odd that Button has not been able to manage tires are well this year as past, with his driving style. I understand Kimi not being able to find speed where Alonso can but Button I was expecting these cars to suite him more.

Also like Ricciardo, great personality and solid performances.

Sure he hasn't been the most exciting driver the watch in the last two years, but not tier-1? Without sounding too much like a fanboy...on top of what Chief F1 Fan already mentioned, he finished 2nd to Vettel in 2011 (albeit with a big gap in points). During the three years that they drove together, didn't Button outscore Hamilton?

I've read some articles dated today that McLaren is in "tentative talks" with Hamilton. Fat chance - why would Lewis want leave the most dominant team for one that's been...circling the drain the last two years?

As for signing Alonso - why would he want to jump from one struggling team to another?
Kinda like the 2007 season with Hamilton/Alonso, I think Lewis is having a hard time with Rosberg. I wouda though last year he would have dominated Nico but that has not been the case. Although he's been around awhile, Rosberg this year is showing what he's made of. Having the best car definitely helps but he's also made very few mistakes as well. I think Wolf/Lauda are playing them as they have the best car but do not want to commit to a #1 driver which I think is smart. Lewis still seems to have some mental strength issues which is strange considering all's he's accomplished.

As for Lewis leaving, he's not happy with MB strategy. And his radio chatter has been very anxious and nervous at times. In his defense, his pitstops have been average slower than Nico's which is suspicious.

Doubt Alonso will go back to McLaren, can't picture Ron and him together again.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 06-25-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:37 AM
AZ Community Team

McLaren the team to watch on driver front for 2015 lineup and beyond

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com...artner=ya5nbcs
Old 06-26-2014, 03:02 PM
Senior Moderator

It's really odd McLaren doesn't have its driver line-up set, esp. since in Montreal the 2 English newspapers said Button was offered a new contract extension for a year.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:13 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

From next season, safety-car periods will be followed by a standing re-start from the grid. The move is one of a number of 2015 changes announced by Formula One racing’s governing body, the FIA, following a meeting of its World Motor Sport Council in Munich, Germany on Thursday.

Other revisions to the F1 regulations include tighter restrictions on testing, with a ban on pre-season testing outside Europe, and changes to make the cars’ noses both safer and more attractive. Drivers will be limited to four engines per season instead of five, while cars will enter parc ferme conditions from the start of final practice, rather than the start of qualifying.

The standing re-starts will replace the current rolling re-start procedure unless the safety car is used within two laps of the original race start (or a subsequent re-start), or if there are less than five laps of the race remaining.

The full statement from the FIA’s World Motor Sport Council:

FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

Changes to the F1 Regulations for 2015 have been agreed by the WMSC.

The last date at which the sporting and technical regulations can be changed without unanimous agreement has been changed from 30 June to 1 March each year, starting from 2015.

Changes to 2015 Sporting Regulations
Power units
- The number of engines permitted by each driver in a season will be four. However, if there are more than 20 races in a season, the number will increase to five.
- The penalty for a complete change of Power Unit will be starting from the back of the grid, not the pit lane.

Aerodynamic testing
- The number of wind tunnel runs will be reduced from 80 hours per week to 65 hours per week.
- Wind-on hours are to be reduced from 30 hours per week to 25 hours.
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) usage is to be reduced from 30 Teraflops to 25 Teraflops.
- Two periods of tunnel occupancy will be allowed in one day (rather than only one).
- Teams will only be able to nominate one wind tunnel in one year.

Testing
- There will be three pre-season tests of four days each in Europe in 2015 (currently teams are able to test outside Europe). This will be reduced to two tests of four days in 2016.
- There will be two in-season tests of two days each in Europe (instead of the current four). Two of these four days must be reserved for young drivers.

Car specification at an Event
The current restrictions to the parc ferme will now apply from the start of P3 instead of the start of qualifying.

Wheels and tyres
The [proposed] ban on tyre blankets will be rescinded for 2015. This will be re-discussed if and when the wheel and tyre diameter increases in the future.

Personnel Curfew
The Friday night curfew will be extended from six to seven hours in 2015 and will increase to eight hours in 2016.

Safety Car restarts
Safety Car restarts will now be a standing start from the grid. Standing starts will not be carried out if the Safety Car is used within two laps of the start (or restart) of a race or if there are less than five laps of the race remaining.

Changes to 2015 Technical Regulations
A number of changes have been made, including:
- A number of new regulations for the noses to ensure improved safety and to provide more aesthetically pleasing structures.
- A number of new regulations concerning skid blocks to ensure that they are made from a lighter material (titanium) and are better contained.
- New regulations to ensure that the brake discs rotate at the same speed as the wheels.
- A two-stage wheel fastener retaining system is now compulsory.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:26 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,769 Likes on 2,543 Posts
Was reading about that today. Sounds like an overall terrible idea.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:35 AM
Senior Moderator

not "idea": rule
Old 07-01-2014, 09:24 AM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
I really don't see the point in these new rules. And quite frankly standing starts seem more dangerous than rolling starts, what's the justification on that?
Old 07-01-2014, 09:54 AM
Senior Moderator

adding some new "thrill" to the show according to the FIA. Here's how the re-starts will work:

FIA explains how F1 standing restarts will work
By Jonathan Noble Tuesday, July 1st 2014, 10:11 GMT

Formula 1's plan to introduce standing starts after safety car periods for 2015 has become one of more controversial changes to have been agreed by the sport's chiefs.

But despite widespread criticism from fans about the idea, the details of the new regulations have now been officially laid out in the FIA's F1 sporting regulations for next year.

Pirelli: Standing restarts need research

Here is how the new standing start system will work:

The procedure of the safety car will remain the same as it is now until after backmarkers have been allowed to unlap themselves and move to the rear of the field.

Then, when F1's race director deems it is safe enough to call in the safety car, a 'safety car in this lap' message will be displayed on the official notice system.

The safety car will pull into the pits and the cars will carry on past the pit lane entry to the grid - with the pit exit lights turning red.

Team personnel who normally sit on the pit wall will have to move to the safety of the garages, with the exception of two people from each outfit.

The drivers will then proceed to the starting grid to stop in their respective positions, and the five-light starting system procedure that is used at the beginning of races now will be run through.

There are circumstances, however, when a standing start will not be used following a safety car.

That will happen if the safety car has been deployed within two laps of the start of the race, of if there are less than five laps of the race remaining.

Furthermore, F1's race director has the right for the race to get going without cars forming up on the grid if he considers 'conditions are unsuitable for a standing restart'.

In those circumstances, the rolling safety car restart where the leader dictates the pace, as has been common in F1 in recent years, will be used.

Also, the rules state that there will be no standing start if the race began under safety car conditions.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:10 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

This will add massive confusion I think. Cars won't know where to line up.

I hate all these new rules. This rule sounds like it was cooked up by the same people that did the double points.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 07-01-2014, 04:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
@ this stuff
Old 07-01-2014, 05:31 PM
6G TLX-S

F1 is getting really boring.

So FIA is bring in "standing restart" to spice it up.

Audiences love to watch start-of-the-race 1st-corner incidents, and "standing restart" is implemented to make sure there will be a lot more of these 1st-corner incidents in every race.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:41 PM
Senior Moderator

I don't think it's boring at all-the Bahrain, Chinese, Austrian and Canadian races were fantastic. The cars are closer than ever.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:54 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

I still love the races, but there will be a point when all these gimmicks will start putting me off.

A few years ago, Bernie suggested that sprinklers should randomly go off on the track to spice things up. The way things are going, crazy ideas like this could become a reality. I'm waiting for someone to suggest alternate roads like they have in arcade games.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:38 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Caterham sold:

The Caterham Formula 1 team has been sold to a consortium advised by Colin Kolles and will now be run by ex-F1 driver Christijan Albers.
AUTOSPORT reported earlier this week that Caterham owner Tony Fernandes was on the brink of offloading his team, with Kolles always among the frontrunners for the deal.
A Caterham statement said the new owners were "a consortium of Swiss and Middle Eastern investors" advised by Kolles, and that they would take over ownership with immediate effect.
The team name will remain and it will keep its current Leafield base.
How long before the team closes shop? Two years?
Old 07-04-2014, 07:46 AM
AZ Community Team

F1 these days reminds me of IRL/Indycar with all the gimmicks and hokey schems (double points). I'd almost swear Tony George is pulling Bernie's strings to make his mouth move.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Could Tim Howard have saved Hamilton?

maybe Janet Jackson too:

Old 07-06-2014, 12:22 PM
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Well, hopefully after today's race, Ron Dennis will change his tone and focus on sorting out his cars. P4 and P7 are good points, but it could've ended a lot differently, had Rosberg not suffered his malfunctions or the Ferraris/Williams qualified better.

JB and K-Mag were driving the wheels off, and for a couple laps were 2nd and 3rd, respectively. But Hamilton easily dispatched them. And in short time, Bottas collected them as well. The McLaren drivers need help.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:53 PM
AZ Community Team

• Easy win for Hamilton
  • Big contrast of the Williams and Ferrari drivers in points (Bottas and Aloson are impressive).
  • Ricardo keeps impressing
Old 07-06-2014, 02:24 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
That pass was the single most exciting moment this season.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:35 PM
6G TLX-S

JB and K-Mag were driving the wheels off, and for a couple laps were 2nd and 3rd, respectively. But Hamilton easily dispatched them. And in short time, Bottas collected them as well. The McLaren drivers need help.
It's not gonna be easy.

It is natural that Mercedes-Benz will NOT let other F1 teams, even though powered by Mercedes engines, to run away from it's own Mercedes F1 team.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:49 AM
AZ Community Team

Former Williams director Patrick Head critical of new F1 engines

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com...ew-f1-engines/
Old 07-09-2014, 05:29 AM
Senior Moderator

18" tires vs Current

quit fucking around with the formula please!

18"

13"

13" & 18" side by side

Old 07-09-2014, 07:47 AM

Received 5,458 Likes on 3,731 Posts
^ The 18"s just don't look right. Wonder what the leading reason is for the change.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:56 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
^ The 18"s just don't look right. Wonder what the leading reason is for the change.
Sell more low profile tires and custom rims to the public?
Old 07-09-2014, 08:29 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,769 Likes on 2,543 Posts
They look really weird. I prefer the current look.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:52 AM
AZ Community Team

IIRC Goodyear had some 15" tires for F1 cars (Williams FW07 used them) briefly in the early 80's.

FIA made 13" standard to limit the cornering speeds and brake rotor/disc sizes.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:06 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Does this mean bigger brakes?
Old 07-09-2014, 11:41 AM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
The 18" certainly makes the car look different, but I don't mind that.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:45 AM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
They look really weird. I prefer the current look.
Looking at the close-up picture from the F1 site, http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...=1#post9900174, I know why you think they look weird. They have the "Honda ricer" (big wheels with tiny brakes) effect.

Quick Reply: Formula One: 2014 Season News and Discussion Thread